HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kenny Jönsson enters the market

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Kenny Jönsson enters the market

Former NYI captain Kenny Jönsson, 31 y/o 6'3 220 lbs, who recently was named the best D in the Olympics have proclaimed that if his team in the all-swedish league misses the PO's he will listen to offers from the NHL - his plan is only to play the remainder of the season in NA.

I am not 100% sure what the waiver situation would be. Since Kenny is done playing in Sweden I think he can sign as a UFA and won't have to pass waivers but I am not sure...

Old
03-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I would LOVE to see the Red Wings pick up Kenny Johnsson for the stretch run. A defensive top 4 of Lidstrom, Johnsson, Schneider, and Kronwall would be dynamite for the playoffs.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

100 bucks says he will join Vancouver..

Old
03-03-2006, 02:30 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I think he'd have to go through waivers. Orszagh did the same thing earlier in the year (can't remember who signed him) and got claimed by St. Louis.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
I would LOVE to see the Red Wings pick up Kenny Johnsson for the stretch run. A defensive top 4 of Lidstrom, Johnsson, Schneider, and Kronwall would be dynamite for the playoffs.
Wow, that would make it what 6 gold medal winning Swedes on the Red Wings? I wonder if that would be enough to push Detroit to another cup?

Old
Trottier
Very Random

First, source?

Second, is his NHL status that of a UFA, or does NYI still retain his rights?

Part of my master plan for NYI next year was getting KJ re-signed and back on L.I. to add some much needed stability to a wretched D corp. But one cannot begrudge him the right to explore other NHL teams, if he is a UFA and wishes to return to NA.

Detroit...NYR...Philly...Carolina...Vancouver....a substantial list of contenders that would benefit greatly from KJ (hypothetically) dropping on to their roster for the stretch run.

Old
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott = Snott
100 bucks says he will join Vancouver..
Dollars or deer?

Old
03-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Former NYI captain Kenny Jönsson, 31 y/o 6'3 220 lbs, who recently was named the best D in the Olympics have proclaimed that if his team in the all-swedish league misses the PO's he will listen to offers from the NHL - his plan is only to play the remainder of the season in NA.

I am not 100% sure what the waiver situation would be. Since Kenny is done playing in Sweden I think he can sign as a UFA and won't have to pass waivers but I am not sure...
Isles still have his NHL rights until the end of the season, I believe. So, it would not just be a matter of signing in the NHL. And, he would also have to clear waivers.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Ola

Quote:
I am thinking Detroit or Toronto will sign him.

He is defenitly a Detroit kind of D, and wouldn't have to play the Islanders as much. Detroit wouldn't have to give up a young player for example. He would play with allot of Swedes.

In Toronto he would get to play with Mats who he is great friends with, they also drafted him.

I am a Ranger fan and would love it if we signed him. He is playing the best hockey of his career so far. He is big, moves really well and is among the best in the world at moving the puck, incredible poise. He is a perfect fit with the new rules.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Habsaku

The Canadiens need a guy just like him.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Ola

I could probably find a newspaper in Swedish somewhere as a source. But I heard it on TV. Should do it. Here is a link to the standings, the top 4 teams in green moves on, 5-13 are done playing, 14-15 plays a relegation round. Kenny plays for Rögle.

http://www.svt.se/texttv/360.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Isles still have his NHL rights until the end of the season, I believe. So, it would not just be a matter of signing in the NHL. And, he would also have to clear waivers.
He is 31 y/o, he must be a UFA, right?

I am not so sure about the clearing waivers rule. Thoose rules are there to protect the European clubs, he would be done playing in Europe. Didn't Orzagh for example sign without having to clear waivers?

Old
03-03-2006, 02:36 PM
The Fuhr

Well If I were the Sens Id offer him a contract then tell the Blues that Id give them a 3rd rd pick to pick Jonsson of waivers and trade them to me. Its a perfect plan.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
I could probably find a newspaper in Swedish somewhere as a source. But I heard it on TV. Should do it.

He is 31 y/o, he must be a UFA, right?
He was RFA over the summer, so he would still be the Islanders' rights now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL.com
The New York Daily News reports that defenceman Kenny Jonsson, a restricted free agent, will stay in Sweden this year rather than come back to the Islanders.

http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/07/230942.html

Old
03-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
Hopefully this news will make some teams go stingy at the trade deadline so Ottawa can steal a centre.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
I'm pretty sure once a player passes 31 you lose his rights regardless.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
I don't get it since he is 31. Born in 1974. He also said he would listen to "offers", like not one. Maybe only the Islanders are a option then, or through trade.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
I'm not sure if that is true. I believe the Isles retain his right for this full year, because he was a restricted free agent in the off-season. I think he won't be an UFA until the summer. And, either way, I don't think the Isles could trade his rights because he still has to clear waivers.

But, don't quote me because I don't know for sure.

Either way, the waivers issue alone makes it quite unlikely he'll be back in the NHL this season.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Nope.

The status he had last summer (presuming we're talking about after 1st of july) remains the same until next summer unless he was released or something.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:47 PM
ogorr

Quote:
I'm not sure if that is true. I believe the Isles retain his right for this full year, because he was a restricted free agent in the off-season. I think he won't be an UFA until the summer. And, either way, I don't think the Isles could trade his rights because he still has to clear waivers.
Not sure if I am correct on this but if he is an RFA and he plays one game in Europe doesn't he become a UFA. The only reason I think this is from the Datsyuk or Kovalchuk scenario that happened at the beginning of the season.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Darth Milbury

Well, here is one other hitch. Let's presume the Isles are out of the playoffs, and Kenny wants to play for the Wings. Presuming the Wings had some way of getting Kenny J through waivers, why would the Isles object? I don't think it would take much to work something out.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Seph

Quote:
That wouldn't really make sense. Then it would be possible for a 30 year old guy that say, turns 31 in December, to simply hold out until December and become UFA. I can't say I know how this definitely works in the new CBA, but in the past there was always a date for the season that if you weren't over 31 by, you weren't UFA.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
I don't get it since he is 31. Born in 1974. He also said he would listen to "offers", like not one. Maybe only the Islanders are a option then, or through trade.
Do you have any kind of source for this?

Old
03-03-2006, 02:51 PM
marmarsab
Formerly #13 & Schen

Sundin was on Local radio yesterday and was asked a question about Jonnsson's intentions and apparently Jonnsson told Sundin that he and his wife love Toronto, take that for what's it's worth.

Old
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
I'm not sure if that is true. I believe the Isles retain his right for this full year, because he was a restricted free agent in the off-season.
I'm not sure about this. The Sharks have a similar situation but with one major difference. Alexander Korolyuk was a RFA during the last offseason but the Sharks went to arbitration with him. So the Sharks hold his right through the contract awarded by abritration. Doesn't a player without a NHL contract gain UFA status after a certain point according to the new CBA?

Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
For UFA purposes he's only considered to be 30 because his 31st birthday was after the June 30th deadline. He's a RFA and his rights belong to the Islanders. He will also have to clear waivers to play in the NHL this season.

Closed Thread