HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

After seven games...

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2003, 07:27 AM
execwrite

vCash: 500
After seven games...

... there's a lot of good things happening.

Number 1 and 1A is Chris Osgood and Chris Pronger. These two guys staying healthy are the keys to the whole season.

The defensive depth really does exist. Backman, Brimanis and Stuart are all capable fill-ins and hopefully Backman will stay in St. Louis.

Murray Baron has been a great pickup. He's the tough, solid stay-at-home defenseman that every team needs. And he kills penalties.

The forward lines have missed the production of Mellanby and Bogie, but they've scored enough. Cajanek belongs on the first line and he's been excellent with his all-around play.

The jury is out on Sejna, Rycroft and Heerema but they've all got potential. Their ice time will be cut back when everyone is healthy but they bring a lot of energy.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:03 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite
... there's a lot of good things happening.

Number 1 and 1A is Chris Osgood and Chris Pronger. These two guys staying healthy are the keys to the whole season.

The defensive depth really does exist. Backman, Brimanis and Stuart are all capable fill-ins and hopefully Backman will stay in St. Louis.

Murray Baron has been a great pickup. He's the tough, solid stay-at-home defenseman that every team needs. And he kills penalties.

The forward lines have missed the production of Mellanby and Bogie, but they've scored enough. Cajanek belongs on the first line and he's been excellent with his all-around play.

The jury is out on Sejna, Rycroft and Heerema but they've all got potential. Their ice time will be cut back when everyone is healthy but they bring a lot of energy.
Of course, #1 and #1A both blew it on Calgary's lone goal last night. As bad as Johnson got beat up for the Edmonton game, some mention should be made about Osgood giving up a soft one that got the Flames back in the game.

Backman and Brimanis looked pretty good last night except for one shift when they got stuck out against Calgary's top line. Reinprecht is too quick for Backman to deal with if Reinprecht has any space to manuever.

All in all, the Blues have done well outside of the Nashville game. But, to be fair, it's not even a question during the regular season anymore; the Blues are one of the most resilient teams I've seen in a long while when it comes to winning in spite of key injuries.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:22 AM
Nick Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
Of course, #1 and #1A both blew it on Calgary's lone goal last night. As bad as Johnson got beat up for the Edmonton game, some mention should be made about Osgood giving up a soft one that got the Flames back in the game.

Backman and Brimanis looked pretty good last night except for one shift when they got stuck out against Calgary's top line. Reinprecht is too quick for Backman to deal with if Reinprecht has any space to manuever.

All in all, the Blues have done well outside of the Nashville game. But, to be fair, it's not even a question during the regular season anymore; the Blues are one of the most resilient teams I've seen in a long while when it comes to winning in spite of key injuries.

Yeah Pronger had the best seat in the house for that Calgary goal. I dont know what he was waiting for out there. But other than that, he has looked great.

Old
10-25-2003, 06:01 PM
Cat fan

vCash:
Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue
Yeah Pronger had the best seat in the house for that Calgary goal. I dont know what he was waiting for out there. But other than that, he has looked great.
I think they will alternate Sejna and Rycroft around once every one is back from injuries. The 4th line will stay in tact , 3rd back , with Mellanby going back with Kieth T. Heerama and Niclolas are good depth players but they will be in the AHL where they both belong. The 13th forward will be like I said either Sejna or Rycroft who ever is not dressed that night. I truly believe this line up of Forwards healthy are pretty darn good. We should still finesh in the top of the conference this year.

Old
10-25-2003, 06:51 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue
I agree; Pronger's play has been a great relief so far. I was rather concerned with what he would like this season, but I've been very impressed overall. Hopefully, puckwatching doesn't become a habit of his now.

Old
10-26-2003, 04:47 AM
Felix

Send a message via ICQ to Felix
This team is destined to play defense first. Therefore I think Blues:
1. should be committed to defense.
2. Defensmen need to to be at their best.
3. Osgood should be consistant as he's been so far.
4. Stay disciplined nevermind anything.

I don't mind our relative lack of scoring. Look at Devils last year. They did not have point per game players at all but still managed to win the Cup because of their commitment to their system of play.

I really hope Backman stays with the Blues. He is actually ready and need to learn at higher level. He has an offensive upside that need to be developed.
Overall I like Blues depth at defense.

If MacInnis is out for the year (and that frees up some salary - I beleive around 4-5 million) I hope Pleau is petient with trades. If our defensive core keeps work done then i'd like Pleau to pull a trade for a proven scoring winger for Weight.

Old
10-27-2003, 05:50 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix
If MacInnis is out for the year (and that frees up some salary - I beleive around 4-5 million) I hope Pleau is petient with trades. If our defensive core keeps work done then i'd like Pleau to pull a trade for a proven scoring winger for Weight.

Actually, I think it will be about 2.8 mill freed up. But that is only after he has sat for 30 games. It doesn't kick in right away.

1st 7 games of the year have been great, just need to play w/ in the system.

Since Hereema and Rycroft both play RW and so does Mel and Bogie, I would expect those two to be on the bench w/ Rycroft in the minors. Hereema can't be sent down w/o clearing waivers and I don't see that happening.

Sejna will continue to play, I hope on the 2nd line. I think Q bounced him to the 3rd to give him a kick in the pants.

Old
10-27-2003, 05:58 AM
Laperriere22*

I like Heerema's game more and more. He took that pass from Demitra and one-timed it like he had some hands and he has more grit than I expected to be perfectly honest. That hit on McAmmond, although ugly and unfortunate for McAmmond, was something I want to see out of young guys trying to stick on an NHL team. Rycroft's game has slipped to some extent in my mind while Heerema has generally improved each game as he gets more used to the Blues.

Old
10-27-2003, 10:49 AM
execwrite

I'm pretty sure Mellanby played LW for years in Florida so he can switch. Bogey maybe could also play LW or Center.

When everyone is healthy, I think there may only be one spot open among Rycroft, Sejna and Heerema. One can be an extra skater and one has to go to Worcester.

Old
10-27-2003, 01:00 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Things will change when mel and bogi come back they are both right shots. Which means alot to sejna and weight.

Closed Thread