HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Florida Panthers at Atlanta Thrashers

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2003, 08:38 AM
Chaos2k7

vCash: 500
GDT: Florida Panthers at Atlanta Thrashers

Florida (2-4-2-0) at Atlanta (4-0-2-1)

Ilya Kovalchuk leads the surprising Atlanta Thrashers as they host the Florida Panthers at Philips Arena.
Kovalchuck has an NHL-leading nine goals -- including his second hat trick in three games Thursday in the Thrashers' 4-2 win against Nashville.

``Ilya is simply a force of nature,'' coach Bob Hartley said. ``That's the best way to describe him. ``I'm asking a lot out of a 20-year-old player. But he's playing like an elite player, and that's what he is.''

J.P. Vigier had his first goal of the season for Atlanta, which is unbeaten in four games (3-0-1) at home this season. The Thrashers are also looking to extend a perfect penalty kill on home ice, as the current streak is at 16.

Atlanta has also not lost in regulation in its first seven games of the season.

Given the success his team is enjoying in the early going, Hartley has been sticking with the same lineup each night.

``Until it's broken, you don't fix it,'' Hartley said.

Goalies Byron Dafoe and Jani Hurme, defenseman Daniel Tjarnqvist and rugged winger Francis Lessard have yet to play.

``It's part of my job to keep them ready and it's their job, too,'' Hartley said. ``The bell will ring for them and obviously they need to respond. But this is a competitive business and our No. 1 goal is to win hockey games.''

Florida is coming off its fourth loss in five games, a 4-3 defeat to Minnesota on Friday night.

Though the team worked hard all night, Panthers coach Mike Keenan said that while he's pleased with the overall effort, it's not enough.

``There's a difference between working hard and playing passionately; you have to perform,'' Keenan said. ``You have to execute, you have to finish, and you have to win. That's the bottom line. We can go through an 80-game schedule, say we worked like hell every night and lost 60 games. What does that mean?''

The Panthers scored three goals in Friday night's loss, the first time in six games they've scored more than one goal..

STANDINGS (through Oct. 23): Panthers - 6 points, 3rd place, 5 PB, Southeast Division. Thrashers - 11 points, 1st place, Southeast Division.

TEAM LEADERS: Panthers - Olli Jokinen, 3 goals; Viktor Kozlov and Marcus Nilson, 3 assists; Viktor Kozlov, 5 points; Nathan Horton, 27 PIM. Thrashers - Kovalchuk, 9 goals and 12 points; Marc Savard, 5 assists; Garnet Exelby, 33 PIM.

SPECIAL TEAMS (through Oct. 23): Panthers - Power play: 7.4 percent (2 for 27), 28th. Penalty killing: 91.4 percent (32 for 35), 4th. Thrashers - Power play: 10.6 percent (5 for 47), 26th. Penalty killing: 89.3 percent (25 for 28), 6th (tied).

GOALTENDERS: Panthers - Luongo (2-4-2, 0 SO, 1.84 GAA); Steve Shields (NR). Thrashers - Pasi Nurminen (4-1-2, 1, 1.81); Dafoe (NR).

2002-03 SEASON SERIES: Panthers, 3-1-0-1.

LAST MEETING: March 7; Panthers, 2-1. At Atlanta, Luongo stopped 40 shots to give the Panthers, coming within 35 seconds of a shutout before finally giving up a goal to Kovalchuk after the Thrashers pulled their goalie. They never got a chance at the tying goal.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Panthers - 1-2-1-0 on the road; Thrashers - 3-0-1-0 at home.

Old
10-25-2003, 10:15 AM
Qubax

Likely Sheilds tonight right...?

Old
10-25-2003, 04:14 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax
Likely Sheilds tonight right...?
For all the people *****ing and moaning about Shields, he's played pretty well thru a period and a half. I hope that Shields can help out Louie's ability to play the puck because Steve seems pretty good at it compared to Roberto.

Old
10-25-2003, 05:59 PM
Thewbacca

Send a message via AIM to Thewbacca Send a message via MSN to Thewbacca
Luongo was great with his stick against New Jersey and does have a much quicker glove reflex then Shields. Also, after watching Shields play, I noticed he likes to make sprawling saves. He really cuts the angle when he spawls but then he is left for rebounds so his style is often risky. But Luongo does still needs to work on his stickplay. I think he has yet to really master it but he has improved.

Old
10-25-2003, 06:32 PM
Holly Gunning

Just got back from the game. My only real comment is that Nathan Horton has no business playing in the NHL right now. He was constantly getting beat and knocked off the puck. I've seen Staal play this year too, and Horton isn't half as effective as Staal right now. I haven't read any of the comments on here about him, so I don't know what the likely plan is, but I think they should send him back immediately.

Old
10-25-2003, 06:49 PM
Chaos2k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
Just got back from the game. My only real comment is that Nathan Horton has no business playing in the NHL right now. He was constantly getting beat and knocked off the puck. I've seen Staal play this year too, and Horton isn't half as effective as Staal right now. I haven't read any of the comments on here about him, so I don't know what the likely plan is, but I think they should send him back immediately.

The kid is being asked to play a gritty third line role. He takes care of his own end first, works hard along the boards, has a little "spirit" in him and likes to drive the net and then stand in front of it. All things that this team needs. He is not in a position were he is being counted on to score unlike Carolina and Staal. He is doing what he is asked, and performing quite well in my opinion. For an 18 year-old kid, he is playing a physical brand of in your face hockey. Exactly why he was drafted by us. All in all he is going nowhere, but up that is...

Old
10-25-2003, 06:53 PM
Holly Gunning

Fine that's his role, but he wasn't doing any of those things. He was getting knocked around, reacting instead of acting. He's not ready yet.

Old
10-25-2003, 07:12 PM
goalie31

Shields

Alright Steve! I'm so happy the Panthers won tonight! Thank god for NHL Center Ice. I just got it in time to see Steve's debut too. Did they interview him after the game, did he say anything worth mentioning? Center Ice usually cuts out right after the game is over so I didn't get to see if they did.

I thought he was almost going to get a shut out for a bit, too bad he didn't but I'll take the win!

Old
10-25-2003, 09:18 PM
jc4shrx

Send a message via AIM to jc4shrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie31
Alright Steve! I'm so happy the Panthers won tonight! Thank god for NHL Center Ice. I just got it in time to see Steve's debut too. Did they interview him after the game, did he say anything worth mentioning? Center Ice usually cuts out right after the game is over so I didn't get to see if they did.

I thought he was almost going to get a shut out for a bit, too bad he didn't but I'll take the win!
I listened on NHL Radio. Sounded like a great game for Steve. This pleases me! Yes, any quotes would be very much appreciated.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:35 PM
MoeHowardDavid

I still want to know why Evil Dreams thinks Shields is not a good #2.

Old
10-25-2003, 10:27 PM
Heimy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeHowardDavid
I still want to know why Evil Dreams thinks Shields is not a good #2.

Shields was adequate tonight but I saw him was going down waaay too soon and he got help from the Thrashers with some mishandled pucks a few times. He does take up a lot of space but he's got holes.

Horton did have a very bad night but we've seen him play MUCH better than this and it'll be interesting to see whether he stays or goes. He had enough sense to be standing in front of the net ALL ALONE, but the poor kid had hockey's version of a premature ejaculation when he coulda taken all night to finish. :p

Old
10-25-2003, 10:46 PM
jc4shrx

I was only able to listen on the radio but a Bruins fan friend watched and told me that Shields was not flopping, not allowing long rebounds, etc. And it sounded to me like he was pretty solid. Announcers had nothing but good things to say about him and ESPN gave him 2nd star. As far as going down too early, Steve's style is a bit unconventional, yes, but that is not necessarily bad thing. Geez, I am having to defend him yet again, sometimes that is like a part time job! Maybe I should not bother, though, 'cause it seems like those who won't give him credit when it is due have their minds closed to him from the start.

Old
10-26-2003, 02:36 AM
Dave D

Regarding Horton

Thanks for your commentary Holly G on Horton.... so let me get this straight, when you have an 18 year old whose game is to be physical on both sides of the puck, and is playing his second game in two nights and was knocked off the puck, the best thing to do is send him to play with kids he will physically dominate? I for the life of me will never believe that the best thing to do is to send him to play with kids. Right now he needs to get stronger and develop a sense of comfort with the puck at NHL speed, so lets send him to a place that is 10 times slower and where he will physically dominate. I don't get the logic. They said the same thing about Thornton, Horton isn't and shouldn't go anywhere. The kid shows great signs and will be more effective sooner rather than later IMO.

Old
10-26-2003, 06:02 AM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy
He had enough sense to be standing in front of the net ALL ALONE, but the poor kid had hockey's version of a premature ejaculation when he coulda taken all night to finish. :p
Great Quote

Old
10-26-2003, 06:26 AM
VAThrasher

Congrats on a good effort. Your boys came out with more jump, withstood a pretty strong comeback and held on for 2 points. I thought Shields played well and despite the knock against him going down too quick, made several glove and blocker saves - the Thrashers seemed intent on beating him up high. I was also impressed with Jaybo, both physically and handling the puck. Hordichuk is a punk...I'd like to have him back, though.

Old
10-26-2003, 06:34 AM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAThrasher
Hordichuk is a punk...I'd like to have him back, though.
Probably going to be the same way when we play the Av's against Worell. I can't wait...

Old
10-26-2003, 07:14 AM
jc4shrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc4shrx
I was only able to listen on the radio but a Bruins fan friend watched and told me that Shields was not flopping, not allowing long rebounds, etc. And it sounded to me like he was pretty solid. Announcers had nothing but good things to say about him and ESPN gave him 2nd star. As far as going down too early, Steve's style is a bit unconventional, yes, but that is not necessarily bad thing. Geez, I am having to defend him yet again, sometimes that is like a part time job! Maybe I should not bother, though, 'cause it seems like those who won't give him credit when it is due have their minds closed to him from the start.
Yes, I am quoting myself, lol. I just wanted to add that as long as he makes the saves, who cares HOW he does it?

Even the Boston Globe included an article about last night's game in today's edition! And they were never easy on him last year:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...ashers_falter/

Old
10-26-2003, 01:37 PM
Takkie
I Goc ya nose!

is it just me, or does this team look bad even when they win.

Old
10-26-2003, 03:07 PM
jacksheit

Send a message via ICQ to jacksheit Send a message via MSN to jacksheit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkie
wow, talk about encouraging opinions

Old
10-26-2003, 10:25 PM
goalie31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc4shrx
I listened on NHL Radio. Sounded like a great game for Steve. This pleases me! Yes, any quotes would be very much appreciated.
I found some of Shields' quotes from a couple papers in FL about the game. Here's the articles....

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/hockey/7107298.htm

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/hockey/panthers/sfl-panthers26oct26,0,5704298.story?coll=sfla-sports-panthers

Good to read positive things about Steve in net.

Old
10-27-2003, 08:13 AM
Captain8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkie
No, it's not just you...

This team has trouble when the game is five-on-five; has trouble dealing with speed; has trouble with system-oriented opponents; has trouble staying out of the penalty box.

The latter issue is becoming a sore point. The Panthers are among the worst in SH opportunities and don't draw nearly enough penalties to make up the difference. Even the usually restrained Kozlov has started taking dumb penalties (no, not the one at then end of the Wild game). The whole mentality just permeates through the team. Lilja's display on Sat was just pathetic.

Closed Thread