HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Rangers @ Devils 3/4 - 7:30 FSN/MSG2

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Block More Shots

vCash: 500
I went to the game yesterday (of course, first game I went to this season and they lose) and I noticed A LOT of things:

Tom Poti - I'll start with him...probably the worst game he's played in around 15 games. The penalty he took was bad and his decision-making on the ice wasn't very good. It didn't help that Malik was out and Poti had to play more minutes but still, not a good game for him.

The rest of the defense played average. Tyutin IMO didn't have a standout game. Honestly, our most consistent defenseman was Strudwick out there. Rozsival was probably 2nd best. Kaspar wasn't throwing his weight around as much as I would've liked. His physical presence was needed throughout the whole game, not just parts. He didn't get in front of the pass to Gionta for the 2nd goal which was the eventual GWG.

Our best line BY FAR was Sykora-Rucchin-Rucinsky. They were the only line out there getting the puck on net and looking for rebounds. That one shift at the end of the game was solid...Rucchin dropped someone along the boards. Rucinsky and Sykora also played very physical on that shift. Overall, I liked what I saw. They played a very simple game and sometimes that's the kind of strategy that wins games. It's just too bad the whole team didn't follow with it.

The Straka-Nylander-Jagr line created some chances but not nearly as much as they usually do. Nylander was really skating out there in the beginning but I noticed he slowed down in the 2nd and 3rd periods. Straka hustled his *** off the whole game. Jagr was creating some opportunities but from what I saw, he didn't turn the jet pack on fully until the 3rd period.

Our 3rd/4th lines played their games...can't argue much with what they did. Ortmeyer had one hell of a shot on Brodeur. Still amazes me how he could've saved that with all of those players screening him.

Weekes played well IMO. That 2nd goal was not his fault, it was Kaspar's for not getting in front of it. Plus, Gionta's a very good finisher and made it look easy. The 1st goal was a bit tough. He made a good save but that rebound killed him. Gomez put it home. For the most part, he was good. That's the type of game I was hoping for from him, only letting up 2 goals.

Our loss was due to the following: Lack of a complete team effort, forwards not getting enough shots on net, and not getting to rebounds when we had chances.

Tell me what you think...I don't think I was too harsh with my assessment. That's just what I noticed in the game and I'm confident when I say this was our worst played game in a long time. Let's move on and get one against Carolina!

Old
03-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy
That is a typical devil game, except the devils actually had more then ONE penalty called against them. The devils always get a lot more PP's than the opponents do. Even though the devils love to hook hold and interfer.
Sorry man, but I have watched the Devils the whole season and they don't love to hold and interfer but instead play smart great positional defense.

03-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LundmarkFan
I went to the game yesterday (of course, first game I went to this season and they lose) and I noticed A LOT of things:

Tom Poti - I'll start with him...probably the worst game he's played in around 15 games. The penalty he took was bad and his decision-making on the ice wasn't very good.
If you didn't see it from the right angle, you might not have seen what happened. Poti's stick appeared to get stuck along the boards at the ice and he couldn't pull it free. Yah, he probably shouldn't have gotten his stick in that position in the first place, but it wasn't as blatant as it looked.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
If you didn't see it from the right angle, you might not have seen what happened. Poti's stick appeared to get stuck along the boards at the ice and he couldn't pull it free. Yah, he probably shouldn't have gotten his stick in that position in the first place, but it wasn't as blatant as it looked.
Yeah, I had a bad angle so it was tough to see. Just like you said though, bad position to have your stick in.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:32 PM
True Blue

What I really did not like was the undisciplined play (some bad, bad penalties) that is becoming consistent whether or not the rest of the faucets of their game are firing on all cylinders. When they are not, the penalties hurt. That and that I thought that Hollweg's energy was visibly missing. Not that Hossa or Hollweg is the reason that they lost the game. However, I think that if you are going to play on the 4th line, I would rather it came from Hollweg's nonstop hitting. Skating Hossa for 6 minutes and hoping that he scores is just not productive.
The most glaring thing to me was the first goal that Gomez scored. He went through 4 playes in a box, and each could do nothing more than waive their stick at him. No one as much as tried to put a shoulder into the chest or even establish proper body positioning.
But, they were due for a clunker (and still only lost by one, despite being outhustled by the Devils). Overall, their play has been great and I expect the energy level to resume once Monday arrives.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Fletch

The penalties were a result...

of lazy play. A couple guys may've been tired last night. It's going to take a while to get back to pre-Olympic form. Some played no games, some played many, some traveled, others didn't. Whatever the reason, getting back to pre-Olympic shape will take a bit more time.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
that game was nowhere near the definition of exciting. The building was so quiet I thought we were playing in Vancouver! The only time the cry got into was when the NYR fans started a chant and then the devil fans responded. Games like last night are the reason why hockey doesn't sell. I knew what was going to happen. I knew exactly how the game had to be played. NJ thried to not play the trap earlier in the season and they got burned. Everyone knew as soon as LOu took over he was going to reinstall the trap. NJ is very much a one deminisional team. To be effective they have to have the lead. They have little depth in scoring and we won't even discuss what happens if Brodeur gets hurt. Missing from your last cup are some key players, Friesen, Nieuwendyk, Neidermayer, Stevenson, Stevens & Daneyko. All were starters. Who replaced them? Quality for quality? Leadership for leadership? Matvichuk is a replacement for Daneyko, but beyond that, Martin for Neidermayer?
Friesen was a key component at the time, but have you not payed attention to his regression the past two seasons? He has been terrible and just about any team is better off with out him and his salary on the books. Niewendyk didn't even play in the Cup Finals yet NJ managed to win with out him. Besides that, getting him back would take ice time away from Parise and his learning experience. Daneyko was an emotional leader, but there were times he just couldn't keep up. Pat Burns struggled on who he should play in game 7 of the 2003 finals, him or Tverdosky. Not to mention his spot has been filled fine by Hale. Martin is somebody I liken to Rafalski, just a little bit taller and a harder shot. He's no Niedermayer, but not a slouch either.

The rings on your remaining players fingers is to be respected, but not placed in awe of. Far too many key components are gone. This NJ is team is far different than its recent predecessors. Need proof? Look no further than your series with us. It is your team that is now measuring itself against the NY Rangers. Not my words, Brian Gionta's on MSG. NJ has no scoring 2nd line and the offense generated off of the transition from turnovers is not what it use to be because NJ's roster doesn't have the same quality 2 way players on it that had some offensive skill as in the past.
The Devils in 2003 measured themselves to Ottawa also, they ended up beating them so it does show respect, but it doesn't mean that NJ is particularly in awe of NYR. People have always questioned NJ's offensive skill, and their offense hasn't been dominant since the 2000-2001 season, but they usually score enough to win. This season (for the new year at least) has been no exception.

You may poo-poo my comment about 2nd string goalies, but that is a fact. For sure their are some quality goalies who are 2nd stringers, could be, or were starters at one time in their career, Ward-2, Weekes-4, Biron, Burke-2, Esche-2, Osgood, But coaches play their backups either against weak teams or teams that do not scare them offensively. 11 goalies that played vs NJ are in the minors! Eventually this lack of offense will catch up to NJ. They play extremely well with the lead. Last night you played your game to perfection, yet 2 posts saved NJ. That is not always going to happen.
How many times do I have to tell you, this isn't a team that came charging out of the gate. They didn't find their niche until the ball dropped. When you go on to a record of 10-3 in January you start gaining respect.

Old
03-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

The Rangers lost because teams in hockey don't win everygame. Funny how some Ranger fans are blaming the olympic break for this loss perhaps forgetting about the flyers game.

The Rangers got beat on the road big deal it isn't a sign of things to come it's just ONE FRIGGIN LOSS.

Keep Hossa in the lineup until Prucha comes back. If you want to argue the whole Hollweg vs Hossa argument that's great but you would be in fantasy land. It really is Hollweg vs Neimo.

Old
03-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Block More Shots

The Devils outplayed us, that's it. Our good scoring chances didn't come until late in the 3rd and by then, Brodeur was settled in and wasn't letting another puck go by him.

It was bound to happen...we ended their 9-game winning streak and they ended our 7-game winning streak

Old
03-06-2006, 08:54 AM
JR#9*

had the misfortune of attending that dreadful game on Saturday...what a mistake!~!

By far the most boring and unwatchable game of the season, I had forgotten to a degree just how terrible a well executed trap can be, that is until Saturday...

I'm not overly concerned about the loss, was bound to happen at some point and while Weekes played well and niether goal was his fault I don't understand not playing Lundquist in this game.

It's pretty sad when you hold a team to 20 shots on goal and don't find a way to win the game.

Closed Thread