HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Goalie's mask

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2006, 05:34 PM
CBJ 97 61 16

vCash: 500
Goalie's mask

Isn't the play supposed to stop when a goalie loses his mask? How do they expect him to make a save when his mask is off? I guess that should be the strategy now. Push a player into the goalie and see if they can get the mask to come off because no one is going to stick their head out at a puck. That was the worst offciated game I've ever seen. LA was given 2 goals.

Old
03-04-2006, 07:09 PM
allelsefails

Yeah, that was a rather big break for LA toward the end of the game.

I'm more or less just happy Denis didn't suffer any injury from either the shot that was taken for the goal or the player who bumped into him, whose legs (and skates) were around the general area of his head.

Sucky way to let in a GWG, unfortunately no stripes were watching him I guess.

Old
03-04-2006, 07:17 PM
CBJ 97 61 16

That seems like something they could go to video review for, I would think. And the no call when Avery dragged down Foote for the first goal, where were the refs there? Terribly officiated game.

Old
03-04-2006, 07:34 PM
allelsefails

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ_44_61_13
That seems like something they could go to video review for, I would think.
Yeah, I'm not sure how that works with a goalie mask. Makes logical sense that they could... but not sure if it is written anywhere with regards to a mask being removed. Unfortunately, I was watching the game at the BW3s up here so couldn't hear the commentary when they were replaying it.

Old
03-04-2006, 07:57 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
I think that the Olympics/International rule would be a good addition. If the goalie loses their mask or even gets hit in the head with the puck they stop play I believe. I know some people were wondering why the refs always blew the whistle when the goalie got hit in the head, but kinda hard to make a save when woozy...and protecting players isn't a horrid idea.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:23 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Here's the current rule:

NHL Rulebook Rule 22
-----------------------
When a goalkeeper has lost his helmet and/or face mask and his Team has possession of the puck, the play shall be stopped immediately to allow the goalkeeper the opportunity to regain his helmet and/or face mask. When the opposing Team has possession of the puck, play shall only be stopped if there is no immediate and impending scoring opportunity. This stoppage of play must be made by the Referee. When play is stopped in the defending zone because the goalkeeper has lost his helmet and/or face mask, the ensuing face-off shall take place at one of the defending Team's end zone faceoff spots.

You can disagree with the rule, BUT the Ref's called it right, and the Kings weren't GIVEN anything, they earned the win, good game CBJ's ... healthy your team would have been in the playoffs this year, as a Kings fan though injuries are something that's killed us for 4 years running. Better luck next year.

Old
03-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U
Here's the current rule:

NHL Rulebook Rule 22
-----------------------
When a goalkeeper has lost his helmet and/or face mask and his Team has possession of the puck, the play shall be stopped immediately to allow the goalkeeper the opportunity to regain his helmet and/or face mask. When the opposing Team has possession of the puck, play shall only be stopped if there is no immediate and impending scoring opportunity. This stoppage of play must be made by the Referee. When play is stopped in the defending zone because the goalkeeper has lost his helmet and/or face mask, the ensuing face-off shall take place at one of the defending Team's end zone faceoff spots.

You can disagree with the rule, BUT the Ref's called it right, and the Kings weren't GIVEN anything, they earned the win, good game CBJ's ... healthy your team would have been in the playoffs this year, as a Kings fan though injuries are something that's killed us for 4 years running. Better luck next year.
Yes the correct call on the goalie mask was made. However, the calls that were missed were the interference on the same play(Denis didn't flop down to his belly on his own) and the Avery/Foote tackle that resulted in a break away goal.

Judging officiating is mostly subjective I know, but I can't imagine how anyone would walk away from that game saying LA outplayed CBJ and the win was theirs without any effect by poor officiating.

We dropped two games on this road trip, both by one goal, both horribly officiated. Sounds like chronic fan whining, I know, but its largely truthful.

Closed Thread