HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lines

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
The Lines

I really love the make up of the lines right now. I wouldn't change a single thing. It's going to be interesting to see what Lindy does when Connolly returns. let alone IF Mair returns

Hehct-Briere Dumont are officially back as the number one scoring line. just think how good they will be after a few weeks together.

Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov are a great 2nd punch offensively. If they Roy and Max can continue to develop some cohesion with Vanek things will only get better for them

Kotalik fits in nicely on the Drury line and adds a little offense and more size to our shut down line

I wouldn't change anything on our top 3 lines even when Connolly gets back. which brings up the question of what to do with him.

You could make cases for to get scratched. but would a Connolly-Gaustad-Pominville line really make sense?

Lindy is going to have some tough decisions to make.

Old
03-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Jame
Dream '16

...or we could just dress 5 defensemen since Rory is a waste of a roster spot. although he did some good things tonight he is just utterly incapable of getting the puck out of the zone.

Old
03-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Kruschiki

vCash: 50
I'm not impressed with the 4th line lately. Maybe Goose sits out when Timmy comes back until he brings some of that physical play.

Old
03-04-2006, 09:54 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
I'm not impressed with the 4th line lately. Maybe Goose sits out when Timmy comes back until he brings some of that physical play.
I wouldn't mind seeing Drury move to the left wing and putting Timmy in between him and Grier. Timmy was playing his best defensive hockey of his life before the injury. I'm thinking primarily a checking line for the playoffs, letting the Briere and Roy lines focus on the offense.

Old
03-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Endless Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip
I wouldn't mind seeing Drury move to the left wing and putting Timmy in between him and Grier. Timmy was playing his best defensive hockey of his life before the injury. I'm thinking primarily a checking line for the playoffs, letting the Briere and Roy lines focus on the offense.
bollocks! drury wins faceoffs...period
You don't move your best face-off guy to the wing

Old
03-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
I take the goose comment back. Now that I'm watching the game on TV, he's had some good hits and banged a couple guys...

Old
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-kai
Of course Drury would still take the faceoffs.

Old
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-kai
Wings can take faceoffs.

Old
03-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
Wings can take faceoffs.
Dave Andreychuk comes to mind.

Old
03-04-2006, 10:07 PM
slip

Quote:
I take the goose comment back. Now that I'm watching the game on TV, he's had some good hits and banged a couple guys...
The problem about taking Goose out of the lineup is you basically give up any size down the middle. I've been pretty satisfied with his play all season and I think he's a perfect fit on the 4th line, 10-12 minutes a game. Of course, the moment he slacks off on the physical or defensive side, it becomes hard to justify his role. But I think he understands his role and fills it nicely.

Old
03-04-2006, 10:14 PM
joshjull

Quote:
The 4th line was most effective with Goose and Mair. They hustled and hit everything.They were the constants on that line with various other wingers filling in with them. Jpom and Pyatt are not consistant bangers thus are not 4th liners. I see Pyatt has rediscovered his game Goose can't do it himself

Old
03-04-2006, 10:19 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip
Two things with this. 1 Drury hates playing wing and has stated it. 2. Briere has already stated that he will go to the wing if needed, he discussed it with Ruff. He played wing with Connolly prior to surgery

Last edited by joshjull: 03-04-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old
03-04-2006, 10:29 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull
Two things with this. 1 Drury hates playing wing and has stated it. 2. Briere has already stated that he will go to the wing if needed.
If Hecht keeps laying out those beautiful passes like he did tonight, I think Briere has no choice but to move to wing

Yeah, I think we all can rest assured that if there is one constant in Ruff's coaching philosophy, its that no line is sacred and any combo is subject to change without notice.

Old
03-04-2006, 10:38 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Personally, I'd love to see Connolly between Drury & Grier. Plus, Kotalik is playing his worst hockey of the year right not (IMO), and I wouldn't mind seeing Lindy possibly sitting him to light a fire under his butt.

**EDIT: That said, I'm hesitant to effect the team chemistry at all right now**

Old
03-04-2006, 10:40 PM
joshjull

My best guess at line combo's when Connolly returns

Briere/Connolly/Dumont
Hecht/Drury/Grier
Vanek/Roy/Afino
Kotalik/Goose/Jpom

when Mair comes back Jpom or Kotalik sits.

Pyatt sits no matter what when this team is healthy.

Old
03-04-2006, 10:42 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
If someone's going to move off of Briere's current line, I hope it's Dumont. Briere and Hecht are just too good together IMO. That said, I wouldn't be against putting Connolly in Kotalik's spot if Connolly's willing to play wing (and moving Kotalik down to the 4th)

Old
03-05-2006, 09:26 AM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Hecht - Connolly - Briere
Dumont - Roy - Afinogenov
Vanek - Drury - Pominville/Kotalik
Pyatt/Kotalik - Gaustad - Grier

Pyatt, Kotalik and JPoms split pressbox duty.

When Mair returns/playoffs:
Hecht - Connolly - Briere
Dumont - Roy - Afinogenov
Vanek - Drury - Pominville/Kotalik
Grier - Gaustad - Mair

Pyatt sits, and the JPoms/Kotalik bloodmatch should have been settled by then.

Old
03-05-2006, 09:59 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
How can you scratch your leading goal scorer?When Connolly comes back,hopefully Pyatt get's traded,and if there is still too many forwards,then trade Grier.He's a good penalty killer,but he's a waste on a line with Drury,because he generates no offense at all.

Old
03-05-2006, 10:13 AM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Sure, Big Al is the 'leading goal scorer' -- but he's far less consistent than just about anybody on the team. He's the top goal scorer by virtue of games played and a month or so of being unstoppable on the power play. Danny's back and JP and Hecht are coming on.

What it comes down to is that someone's gotta sit. Right now, Kotalik's shot has been for crap, so he's a prime candidate, IMO.

Old
03-05-2006, 11:41 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Hecht-Briere-Dumont-Kotalik-Drury-Grier-Roy-Afinogenov-Connolly-Mair-Vanek-Gaustad-Pyatt-Pominville-Peters.

14 players. 12 roster spots.
(Peters is an automatic scratch)

A forward has to be traded imo, I would say that odd man out at this point is Pyatt. I would hate to see him go or any forward for that matter but I think it just has to happen. Also I think Taylor along with Noronen could bring in an ok return, the deal would have to a rebuilding club though (St. Louis).

To Stl.

Taylor Pyatt
Mika Noronen

To Buf.

Bryce Salvador

It seems realistic...

Old
03-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Jame
Dream '16

i can't believe you guys want to break up H-B-D when Connolly returns. That's crazy talk if you ask me.

I like our top 3 lines as they are. When Connolly returns i think one of Kotalik, Poms, or Connolly is the odd man out on any given night.
why?
Because we can't have 4 lines of offense rolling. I like having a crash and bang 4th line. I don't really see the point of having a 4th line that includes two of these 3 guys (Connolly. Kotalik. Pominville)
Hecht-Briere-Dumont and Vanek-Roy-Max should stay together for the rest of the year.

One of Tim, Ales, Poms skates with Drury and Grier
One of Tim, Ales, Poms skates with Pyatt and Gaustad
One of Tim, Ales, Poms rides the pine

Right now if Tim were 100% Id say Ales gets a seat.

Connolly-Drury-Grier
Pyatt-Gaustad-Poms

and if Pyatt doesnt start hitting and breaking faces again then Ales can get back in the lineup in Taylor's spot. and so on and so forth. I expect Lindy to use the roster depth to keep guys motivated. take a night off and you can take a seat.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:20 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Connolly and Drury is interesting -- but I think a top-9 position is wasted on Grier if you've got this many available weapons. Grier will get scads of ice time between the Gaustad line and PK-ing... a finisher with Timmah and Drury would make for a shutdown that can score.

Maybe Dumont - Connolly - Drury ? I know that's less of a shutdown line with JP in there, but I can definitely see more scoring from that line.

Maybe Kotalik - Connolly - Drury ? Less scoring than with Dumont, but a decent balance between shutdown and scoring. I'd hate to see Drury and Connolly's creativity wasted on a pure shutdown role.

Old
03-05-2006, 04:14 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
i can't believe you guys want to break up H-B-D when Connolly returns. That's crazy talk if you ask me.

I like our top 3 lines as they are. When Connolly returns i think one of Kotalik, Poms, or Connolly is the odd man out on any given night.
why?
Because we can't have 4 lines of offense rolling. I like having a crash and bang 4th line. I don't really see the point of having a 4th line that includes two of these 3 guys (Connolly. Kotalik. Pominville)
Hecht-Briere-Dumont and Vanek-Roy-Max should stay together for the rest of the year.

One of Tim, Ales, Poms skates with Drury and Grier
One of Tim, Ales, Poms skates with Pyatt and Gaustad
One of Tim, Ales, Poms rides the pine

Right now if Tim were 100% Id say Ales gets a seat.

Connolly-Drury-Grier
Pyatt-Gaustad-Poms

and if Pyatt doesnt start hitting and breaking faces again then Ales can get back in the lineup in Taylor's spot. and so on and so forth. I expect Lindy to use the roster depth to keep guys motivated. take a night off and you can take a seat.
I want to see another good game from the Vanek/Roy/Max line before I deem them unseperateable. So far they've had 1 good game and 2 pretty bad ones together, and they never seemed to mesh earlier in the year when put together either.

If they can only put one good game together out of 3, they're going to have to be split up.

Old
03-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

When Connolly returns, I'd put him with Roy and Afinogenov. That line would be unbeliveably fast and dangerous.

Vanek - Briere - Dumont
Connolly - Roy - Afinogenov
Hecht - Drury - Grier
Pyatt - Gaustad - Pominville

On the bench: Kotalik, Peters

Injured: Mair

When (if) Mair is healthy for the playoffs, I sit Pominville and put Mair with Gaustad and Pyatt.

Reasoning:

Kotalik is the leading scorer as of right now, but I consider that due to Briere being injured, Connolly being injured and Kotalik having a great start to the season on the power play. Besides his shot on the power play (which has been weak lately anyway), Kotalik hasn't done much of anything. Campbell has just as good a shot on the power play.

As for sitting Pominville when Mair returns, we're going to need grit for the playoffs. The additional points Pominville provides would be nice, but I'll take Mair's grit and experience over the few extra points we MAY get out of Pominville in the playoffs.

Old
03-05-2006, 05:26 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Buffalo is going to have a very, very deep team come playoff time. Maybe pick up a blue-liner at the deadline, but the Sabres seem to be good to go.

Would not want to face them in the playoffs.

Closed Thread