HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Classless Brodeur is at it again

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2006, 12:59 PM
HBK27

vCash: 500
I don't know why people are getting bent out of shape about Brodeur's comment. IMO he's complimenting Lundqvist in noting that the Rangers finally have a bonafide top goaltender that will be in the Rangers net for years to come.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:00 PM
King Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by romba
You're right, Lundqvist can retire right now with his projection of getting to 30 wins. Nothing left to accomplish anymore. He's a shoe-in for the HOF, no question.

I have confidence in Henrik to play consistently excellent or the next 10+ years, but he's gotta do it before we can say he's on that level.
That's not the point. You can't say that Lundqvist isn't as good as brodeur. it's not fair at this point. however, he already reached Brodeur's mark faster than he did when he first started. That's all. It's that simple. Is brodeur the best goaltender right now? Yes. Is brodeur the best goaltender of all time? Hardly. That's all I have to say.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:01 PM
King Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK27
I don't know why people are getting bent out of shape about Brodeur's comment. IMO he's complimenting Lundqvist in noting that the Rangers finally have a bonafide top goaltender that will be in the Rangers net for years to come.

Yea, but's a backdoor shot at the Rangers. All he has to say is, "The Rangers have a great goaltender in Lundqvist." He doesn't have to point out the shortcomings of the team. He is known for that and not many other players do that which makes him stand out as being arrogant.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:02 PM
DutchShamrock

Brodeur just makes these comments to piss off the Rangers. There isn't any credence to it just because it came from his arrogant lips. It only annoys us because he can back it up. DiPietro hasn't shown anything yet, so Brodeur is just getting under your skin with that comment. He can gloat all he wants about his regular season record against the Rangers. We can still point at '94 and '97. He can slight Messier all he wants, but Mess guarenteed victory and produced a hat trick with a game winning goal and assist. Don't focus on what he says, focus on why he says it. He is trying to take away from our few, yet enormous, achievements against him.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freenoid
Yea, but's a backdoor shot at the Rangers. All he has to say is, "The Rangers have a great goaltender in Lundqvist." He doesn't have to point out the shortcomings of the team. He is known for that and not many other players do that which makes him stand out as being arrogant.
I think you'd expect the shortcoming of the team to be very clear after the last seven seasons. Rangers fans credit Lundqvist as a player who has really helped turn it around, I think Brodeur was just pointing that out.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
well, Lundqvist already has 20+ wins and will probably, without a doubt, reach more than 30. We are talking like Lundqvist is going to be making his first start in net tomorrow. What are we talking about here? This is his first full start in the NHL and he is on his way to winning 30+ games. What level does he have to get too? Does he have to get married and then cheat on her with her sister? What is the next level he needs to reach?
Wow, he's going to have 30+ wins this season!?! he's only 400+ off of Brodeur! Call the HOF and reserve Lundy a spot!

Ever heard of Jim Carey? Give Lundy a few hundred more wins, a few dozen more SOs, a few Vezinas, and a Cup or two before you even begin to think of comparing him to Brodeur. Let him win 40+ a few times. Let him get 10 or 11 shutouts in one season a time or two. Comparing him to Brodeur at this stage of his career is laughable.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:05 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
That's not the point. You can't say that Lundqvist isn't as good as brodeur. it's not fair at this point. however, he already reached Brodeur's mark faster than he did when he first started. That's all. It's that simple. Is brodeur the best goaltender right now? Yes. Is brodeur the best goaltender of all time? Hardly. That's all I have to say.
Agreed.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Kickassguy

Quote:
That's not the point. You can't say that Lundqvist isn't as good as brodeur. it's not fair at this point. however, he already reached Brodeur's mark faster than he did when he first started. That's all. It's that simple.

He might also tank next season. Who knows? You just can't say he's as good as the top goalie in the game today. That's not fair at this point either.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:10 PM
King Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy
Wow, he's going to have 30+ wins this season!?! he's only 400+ off of Brodeur! Call the HOF and reserve Lundy a spot!

Ever heard of Jim Carey? Give Lundy a few hundred more wins, a few dozen more SOs, a few Vezinas, and a Cup or two before you even begin to think of comparing him to Brodeur. Let him win 40+ a few times. Let him get 10 or 11 shutouts in one season a time or two. Comparing him to Brodeur at this stage of his career is laughable.
You're right. Brodeur has played a lot longer and Lundvqist has a long way to go. However, Lundqvist is a great position to chew on his records.

BTW, don't patronize me. No reason for your nonsense with the 400+ and Hall of Fame crap. That's insulting to think that you made me look like I made that statement. Brodeur is an above average goaltender. That's about it. You know who made Brodeur so successful? The coach that came up with the trapping style of hockey. He should be in the hall of fame, not brodeur. Brodeur is a figment of a boring hockey system that the Devils manage to implement into their game. They had to change rules because of Brodeur and the Devils who single handedly shown the NHL how to drive away revenue and fans to more interesting sports like Golf and Bowling. If you want to credit Brodeur for being a great goaltender then that has to be written in the same book.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:12 PM
King Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy
He might also tank next season. Who knows? You just can't say he's as good as the top goalie in the game today. That's not fair at this point either.

How can he tank the season? He already has 20+ wins. He did his job. If he loses every game he plays in from this point forward, he still had a spectacular season for a rookie netminder. BTW. The team tanks the season, not the goaltender alone. of course in contrast of the devils. It is up to Brodeur to tank the season because outside of having him, the Devils would be cellar dwellers right now.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Brodeur won the Calder and the cup the year after at 23 years old, Lundqvist is hardly ahead of him. You have to understand something, Brodeur hates the Rangers, he does everything to piss their fans off. However, that doesnt diminish his accomplishments and it doesnt diminish Lundqvists either. In my opinion, Lundqvist should win the Vezina this year and be a top 5 candidate for the Hart trophy. But who would I rather have for the playoffs? Brodeur.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:15 PM
King Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey
I think you'd expect the shortcoming of the team to be very clear after the last seven seasons. Rangers fans credit Lundqvist as a player who has really helped turn it around, I think Brodeur was just pointing that out.
All sports team have ups and downs and they usually go in 10 year chunks. Don't worry the Devils will go through the 10 year downturn also. Just a matter of time. Matter of fact, it looks like it's in it's starting this season to show it's head. Just look at the Yankees. Good for 10, bad for 10, good for 10 bad for 10. That's how it goes. You think the Devils are going to be great for the next 200 years? What happens when brodeur's career is over? They don't have any other goaltenders in the system and never had. What happens if Brodeur's career ends next season with a concussion like happened to Richter? Then what? We see how their backup plays. Don't get over cocky with your franchise. It's bad karma.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:18 PM
King Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Brodeur won the Calder and the cup the year after at 23 years old, Lundqvist is hardly ahead of him. You have to understand something, Brodeur hates the Rangers, he does everything to piss their fans off. However, that doesnt diminish his accomplishments and it doesnt diminish Lundqvists either. In my opinion, Lundqvist should win the Vezina this year and be a top 5 candidate for the Hart trophy. But who would I rather have for the playoffs? Brodeur.

Yea. That seems to work out just fine for the Rangers. I would much rather have Brodeur in the net instead of Lundqvist if we meet in the playoffs. I agree 100%. We all know that record.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Missionhockey

Quote:
All sports team have ups and downs and they usually go in 10 year chunks. Don't worry the Devils will go through the 10 year downturn also. Just a matter of time. Matter of fact, it looks like it's in it's starting this season to show it's head. Just look at the Yankees. Good for 10, bad for 10, good for 10 bad for 10. That's how it goes. You think the Devils are going to be great for the next 200 years? What happens when brodeur's career is over? They don't have any other goaltenders in the system and never had. What happens if Brodeur's career ends next season with a concussion like happened to Richter? Then what? We see how their backup plays. Don't get over cocky with your franchise. It's bad karma.
I was convinced earlier this season that the Devils wouldn't make the playoffs. Remember that before the new year they were two games below .500, but Lamoriello tends to go through what seems like mini-rebuilding years. While he never fully blows up the team, he tries compensating for the loss of older players by integrating prospects in their prominant positions. That is what I think is going on this year. Martin, Hale and Parise are really getting broken in as Devils after losing two HOF players. No the Devils will not stay in playoff contention forever, but I believe as long as either Lamoriello or Conte is at the helm, they will be consistent.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:30 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Agreed. However, and I don't want to sound like a homer, I'll reserve judgement on who I want in net after this year's playoffs. The Olympics at least cements Lundqvist's potential to be a big game goalie. Nothing wrong with going with the horse that got you there.

On the Carrey/Lundqvist comparision: I know it is very early to declare Lundqvist as a superstar or sure-thing for the next ten years, but he just looks like a guy that won't vanish in 3 years. You see guys like Raycroft, Theodore and Giguierre fizzle after fantastic runs early in their careers but I don't feel like Henrik is going to go that route. These guys have the potential to get their careers back on track and very well may return to elite status but I believe that Lundqvist's path will resemble Brodeur's more than Carrey's. Time will tell.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:31 PM
King Nothing*

Also keep in mind that he has a lot of experience in internation play and has nothing but good seasons on his record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya
Agreed. However, and I don't want to sound like a homer, I'll reserve judgement on who I want in net after this year's playoffs. The Olympics at least cements Lundqvist's potential to be a big game goalie. Nothing wrong with going with the horse that got you there.

On the Carrey/Lundqvist comparision: I know it is very early to declare Lundqvist as a superstar or sure-thing for the next ten years, but he just looks like a guy that won't vanish in 3 years. You see guys like Raycroft, Theodore and Giguierre fizzle after fantastic runs early in their careers but I don't feel like Henrik is going to go that route. These guys have the potential to get their careers back on track and very well may return to elite status but I believe that Lundqvist's path will resemble Brodeur's more than Carrey's. Time will tell.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Kickassguy

Quote:
How can he tank the season? He already has 20+ wins. He did his job. If he loses every game he plays in from this point forward, he still had a spectacular season for a rookie netminder. BTW. The team tanks the season, not the goaltender alone. of course in contrast of the devils. It is up to Brodeur to tank the season because outside of having him, the Devils would be cellar dwellers right now.
Check my post again. I didn't say Lundy could tank this season. I explicitly said next season. Hence the Jim Carey reference in the previous post, as well. Of course, that doesn't mean I think he will, I completely agree that he's an excellent goaltender, but until you establish yourself over more than a season or two, just as you suggested it's not fair to Lundqvist to say he won't be as good as Brodeur, it's equally unfair to suggest that Lundy *will be* as good as Brodeur.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Kickassguy

Quote:
I agree. I like his game as well and think it far more likely he'll become a top-level goaltender than bust... the Carrey reference was just a reminder that, you know, sometimes it happens.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Tawnos

Wow, the reading comprehension issues of this thread are unbelievable. Let's see if I can clear something up.

1.) Brodeur is arrogant, but he's not wrong.
2.) Brodeur is partially the product of his team's system, but he's still one of the best goalies ever to play.
3.) Lundqvist and Brodeur have fairly equal levels of talent.
4.) Lundqvist, RIGHT NOW, is probably the better goalie of the two.
5.) Lundqvist has a loooooong way to go to be considered in the same realm as Brodeur over the course of his career.
6.) Nothing is certain about Lundqvist's future.

Old
03-05-2006, 02:17 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Great goalie, but yeah, Brodeur's annoying.

Old
03-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Habsaku

Quote:

I see nothing that makes me think Lundqvist will go the same path Theodore, Raycroft, Giguere and Carrey did. Lundvist has something the others dont, he didnt come out of nowhere, he's dominated everywhere.

Old
03-05-2006, 02:53 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy
Did anyone see in yesterday's post the comment he made that "it's about time they found someone to compete with me and Ricky (rick Dipetro)" Another classy comment by a man with no class. Every time there is a Ranger-Devil game he always makes a snide comment especially when asked about messier or 94,97. It always brings a smile to me though because obviously he is annoyed by us and our organization.

and what Richter is garbage, Mike Richter kept us in alot of games towards the end of his career. Not his problem he got hurt and we had to overpay for crap Dunham. Dunham sux.

Old
03-05-2006, 04:04 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Would it be classless to state that Marty

as good as he proclaims himself to be, never won any of the big goalie awards when Hasek & Roy were playing? Would it be classless to say that Marty is jealous that he never beat Richter when it really countered? Heck he wasn't even Canada's starter when Mickey won the World Cup, MArty was picking splinters from his rearend and checking out his sister-in-law in the stands. How about his big accomplishment this year, 10th straight 30 win seasons. Is it wrong to point out that his opponent in many of those wins was a scrub, the other team's backup keeper? Is it classless to point out that he more than any goalie in modern times was a huge beneficary of a style of play that seldom exposed him as he was earlier in this season when his team wasn't playing that style?

Now I'm sure many a devil fan will point to his 3 cups. Sorry that is a team award and he certainly didn't win it by himself. All to Marty the great, the world's best self proclaimed goalie in the trap era!

Old
03-05-2006, 04:08 PM
natureboy*

Quote:
Brodeur just makes these comments to piss off the Rangers. There isn't any credence to it just because it came from his arrogant lips. It only annoys us because he can back it up. DiPietro hasn't shown anything yet, so Brodeur is just getting under your skin with that comment. He can gloat all he wants about his regular season record against the Rangers. We can still point at '94 and '97. He can slight Messier all he wants, but Mess guarenteed victory and produced a hat trick with a game winning goal and assist. Don't focus on what he says, focus on why he says it. He is trying to take away from our few, yet enormous, achievements against him.
Excellent points. Plus he is annoyed that he is a devil and his accomplishments are overshadowed by the rangers.

Old
03-05-2006, 04:16 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy
It's class less because he comments negatively on messier....
for arguement sake Broudeur spoke up for the portion of the NHL fan base who were sick of how the media was kissing Messier's butt and making him out to be the world's greatest leader, when in all reality he was a really good leader

Quote:
We can still point at '94 and '97. He can slight Messier all he wants, but Mess guarenteed victory and produced a hat trick with a game winning goal and assist.
Messier also said he would lead the Rangers to the playoffs a few years back, funny how that promise seems to be erased by the media.

As for his current comment, like somebody above said, i look at it as a compliment towards Lundquist

Closed Thread