HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biron Stock At An All-Time High?

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2006, 03:19 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Biron Stock At An All-Time High?

Marty Biron has been absolutely amazing this season. He's played his best hockey as a Sabre IMO, and he's proven he can play whenever called upon.

I see the value of an important backup. But I also believe that some people, including myself, place way too much of an emphasis on that. It's valuable, yes, but teams have proven to succeed with just one top tier goaltender on their roster come playoff time.

What I'm trying to say is that I think Marty's stock is at an all-time high. And as much as I'd like to keep him around, I think we'd be foolish to not move him by Thursday.

Ryan's our man, and the right trade just might be what pushes us up into that level of play that equates to playoff success.

Help me out.

Old
03-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Tracy

Yeah, what he said.

Old
03-05-2006, 03:31 PM
MJCULE

stock

i think martys highest stock was after he won 13 in a row.

Old
03-05-2006, 03:41 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I'm speaking more in terms of this point in his career. At this trade deadline, after how he's played this season, his stock is at an all-time high.

Old
03-05-2006, 03:42 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Darcy probably wont move him, honestly I dont care if he moves him or not. I just want to see a move for a top 4 Defenseman made...

Old
03-05-2006, 04:03 PM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
Darcy probably wont move him, honestly I dont care if he moves him or not. I just want to see a move for a top 4 Defenseman made...
What if Regier is asking for a 1st round pick for Biron and the best offer is a 2nd rounder?

I'm guessing that that is the type of talk that is happening right about now.

Old
03-05-2006, 04:19 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcule8
i think martys highest stock was after he won 13 in a row.
Minor disagreement. During that streak, he proved he can be a good starter in the New NHL. Yesterday, he proved that he can come in cold and be a good backup when necessary -- something even we really didn't know he could do. A good starter is obviously more valuable than a good backup -- but a good starter who can also be a good backup is a pretty rare thing in this year's goalie market. He just made himself more valuable to the Ottawas and Vancouvers of the league, as opposed to just the Edmontons and Tampas.

Plus he's about $500k cheaper than he was then -- don't discount the importance of that.

Old
03-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

He's gonna be gone by the next season, that's a pretty sure bet.

Now... Unless the offer for him NOW is a clear overpayment, I'm good with him sticking around for the playoffs.
I'm pretty sure Darcy can get us some "mercenaries" (rentals) for picks and prospects to help us out at the deadline.

Old
03-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto
He's gonna be gone by the next season, that's a pretty sure bet.
I won't be surprised if we're having this discussion about Biron at next year's trade deadline.

Old
03-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:

Mccabe for Biron and a 1st?

Old
03-05-2006, 04:59 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper
Mccabe for Biron and a 1st?

McCabe's a UFA...no need for him,especially not for Biron and a 1st.

Old
03-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48

McCabe's a UFA...no need for him,especially not for Biron and a 1st.
Is that not what you want though? A top 4 defenceman for the playoff drive? Maybe the pick should be lower but id be surprised if Reiger turned down a Mccabe for Biron swap.

Old
03-05-2006, 05:02 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
We need a defenseman who has a better defensive game then McCabe.Our PP is already the 2nd best in the league,no point in acquiring McCabe,unless the price was cheap.

Old
03-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
We need a defenseman who has a better defensive game then McCabe.Our PP is already the 2nd best in the league,no point in acquiring McCabe,unless the price was cheap.
Fair enough. If you're looking for a shutdown defenceman for your Top 4 then Mccabe probably isnt your guy. Although Mccabe for Biron would probably still be a pretty enticing offer.

Old
03-05-2006, 07:13 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Toronto and Buffalo wont be making a deal, both teams would want over payment (were in the same division!) and neither JFJ or Regier will not overpay at this point..

Old
03-05-2006, 07:15 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
What if Regier is asking for a 1st round pick for Biron and the best offer is a 2nd rounder?

I'm guessing that that is the type of talk that is happening right about now.
Thats fine with me, however if another team is offering a Top 4 D-man for Marty and hes turning it down I would be upset...

Old
03-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Bodmanza
Rebuild Inception

vCash: 50
I'm curious, what would you guys want from Edmonton for Biron?

Old
03-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Asiaoil

Guys - this was his first win in 2 1/2 months - one nice win doesnt mean much. Marty is a good middle of the road starter in this league - no more, no less - and that's his ceiling. He's not going "develop" any more and become a Vezina candidate and he's relatively expensive at $2 million per. Add it up and expecting another valuable commodity (solid 2nd pair dman who is signed to an affordable contract) is a reasonable expectation.

....by the way - EDM put Greene on the IR until the day after the trade deadline - so he is completely off-limits and waiting until the trade deadline to see if Lowe will give him up is now pointless if this was the guy Regier wanted.

Old
03-05-2006, 07:54 PM
future consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Guys - this was his first win in 2 1/2 months - one nice win doesnt mean much. Marty is a good middle of the road starter in this league - no more, no less - and that's his ceiling. He's not going "develop" any more and become a Vezina candidate and he's relatively expensive at $2 million per. Add it up and expecting another valuable commodity (solid 2nd pair dman who is signed to an affordable contract) is a reasonable expectation.

....by the way - EDM put Greene on the IR until the day after the trade deadline - so he is completely off-limits and waiting until the trade deadline to see if Lowe will give him up is now pointless if this was the guy Regier wanted.
Relatively expensive??

Elite goalies are in the 5 mil range. Unless you have a good young goalie on his first contract like Miller or Lundquist, your gonna be in the 2 mil range.

As for his value, its pretty good. No one is saying he gonna be the best goalie in the league. What we are saying is he's a good goalie who can play #1 and win. What were you thinking when Kipper got traded? Prob that Calgary got a good middle of the road goalie for a 2nd (not saying he is Kipper).

You and I are both Oiler fans, and IMO Biron would be a great fit. He'd fill the #1 role and has alot of good years ahead of him. Lotta Oiler fans are saying Cujo Cujo Cujo, but Biron would be better. Cujo's game is terrible right now, the only reasons some fans want him is because they are talking themselves into cause he has plaoff experience and played there before. Who cares if he's playing like crap?

Also why do you have this resentment for Biron. How many games of his do you watch?

Old
03-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Toronto and Buffalo wont be making a deal, both teams would want over payment (were in the same division!) and neither JFJ or Regier will not overpay at this point..

I think Buffalo/Toronto would make sense trade wise. If the Leafs do trade Mccabe it means their giving up on the season anyways and with Mccabe being a UFA then the division rivals issue becomes rather irrelevant. To me, trading Biron + a pick makes a lot of sense from both teams perspective if Toronto can find a way to unload Belfour.

Old
03-05-2006, 08:04 PM
JoeSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTheNark
I'm curious, what would you guys want from Edmonton for Biron?
Staios.....

Old
03-05-2006, 08:05 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper
I think Buffalo/Toronto would make sense trade wise. If the Leafs do trade Mccabe it means their giving up on the season anyways and with Mccabe being a UFA then the division rivals issue becomes rather irrelevant. To me, trading Biron + a pick makes a lot of sense from both teams perspective if Toronto can find a way to unload Belfour.
Good luck with that, unless he drops his demand to have any destination pick up his option year.

I wouldn't mind McCabe -- he's not as bad defensively as people like to think. That said, though -- as a 3-month rental, he's not worth Biron (this week), and there's no way that Regier will give him the $5M+ he wants.

Old
03-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Bodmanza
Rebuild Inception

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSabre
Staios.....
Is that a common requirement or just your own idea? Sorry I don't know the thoughts of the Buffalo fans about a deal...

Being an Oiler fan, I'd give Staios and one of Pouliot/Winchester/2nd Round Pick

Old
03-05-2006, 08:31 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTheNark
Is that a common requirement or just your own idea? Sorry I don't know the thoughts of the Buffalo fans about a deal...

Being an Oiler fan, I'd give Staios and one of Pouliot/Winchester/2nd Round Pick

Staios + Pouliot would get it done for me. Seems like more people than not agree that Staios would be a great fit here.

Old
03-05-2006, 08:34 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
What is the fax number to the Oil's office ??

Closed Thread