HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Darkhorse Hab to be traded

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2006, 04:29 PM
plafleur10

vCash: 500
Darkhorse Hab to be traded

We have all heard the rumors involving Souray, Ribs, Bulis and Zednik.

But let's pull out our crystal balls and try to be creative: if the right deal comes along (ex.: filling out our need for a legitimate power forward), which "surprise" Hab could Gainey make available?

My answer: #73 Michael Ryder, here's why:

1) If a power forward à la Mark Bell or Todd Bertuzzi is obtained and immediately takes up precious ice time on our first two lines, Ryder is one of the likely losers (Gainey seems to be on a mission to devlop our young future stars like Higgins and Perezhogin);

2) He definitely has value with the # of goals he has scored in his first two NHL seasons;

3) He is somewhat over-rated as he does very little else besides his goals which have been few and far between anyway in the last 20-25 games...

My second pick would be Perezhogin, would hate to let him go, but his small frame makes him the most likely of our young guns to go if the right player is available and we feel he is worth the price. Wouldn't do it personnally though.

Old
03-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10

But let's pull out our crystal balls and try to be creative: if the right deal comes along (ex.: filling out our need for a legitimate power forward), which "surprise" Hab could Gainey make available?

1) If a power forward à la Mark Bell or Todd Bertuzzi is obtained and immediately takes up precious ice time on our first two lines, Ryder is one of the likely losers (Gainey seems to be on a mission to devlop our young future stars like Higgins and Perezhogin);

2) He definitely has value with the # of goals he has scored in his first two NHL seasons;

3) He is somewhat over-rated as he does very little else besides his goals which have been few and far between anyway in the last 20-25 games...

My second pick would be Perezhogin, would hate to let him go, but his small frame makes him the most likely of our young guns to go if the right player is available and we feel he is worth the price. Wouldn't do it personnally though.

Mine would be first round pick 2006

Old
03-05-2006, 04:36 PM
mt_mtl

Quote:

....lets hope that you're wrong!!!

Old
mclusky*

Huet

Old
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:

Ryder is our only (with kovy) pure goal scorer so i don't think we'll get a better value that what he bring us.

Perez is a posibility because if we are buyers we have to give the younger guys. It make me laugh to see some people thinking that a team like chicago would take our overpaid vets for their young top players.

Bulis could go along with a pics or prospects for a better UFA. He does'nt bring anything that others can't.

Old
03-05-2006, 04:39 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
He is somewhat over-rated as he does very little else besides his goals which have been few and far between anyway in the last 20-25 games...
The funny thing is, that the team that scores the most goals wins!!!!! I'd have to say he's good at the most important aspect of a hockey game. Remember, you can't win if you don't score!

Old
03-05-2006, 04:40 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
not a bad guess...

Old
03-05-2006, 04:40 PM
plafleur10

Draft Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
I doubt it, as we have no chance to win the cup so it would be foolish to waiste our 1st rounder.

2nd or 3rd rounder is a possibility, however.

Old
03-05-2006, 04:43 PM
plafleur10

25-30 goal scorers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
Ryder is our only (with kovy) pure goal scorer so i don't think we'll get a better value that what he bring us.

Perez is a posibility because if we are buyers we have to give the younger guys. It make me laugh to see some people thinking that a team like chicago would take our overpaid vets for their young top players.

Bulis could go along with a pics or prospects for a better UFA. He does'nt bring anything that others can't.
I am not suggesting he should be given away, but might go in a deal filling in a need such as a legitimate power forward.

Yes goal scoring is important, but many guys would score 25-30 goals playing with Saku Koivu.

Old
03-05-2006, 04:47 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

Quote:
I doubt it, as we have no chance to win the cup
And how exactly do you know that?

The Sabres, Ducks, Hurricanes all were able to go to the SC Final.

Every team has a chance.

Old
03-05-2006, 04:51 PM
plafleur10

OK,a 50-1 shot

OK, the Habs might have a 50-1 shot, but the way they have played against the Hurricanes, they will be lucky if they escape the 1st round if they play the Hurricanes, and Ottawa is no party either, so not worth trading a 1st rounder this year in my book!

Old
03-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I agree with the original poster.

Old
03-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Madevilz

Ryder is brutal defensively, I wouldnt mind trading him if we can have someone like Mark Bell in return.

Old
03-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Shazbot

Quote:

I agree with you; that is, if a trade does indeed happen (it looks less and less likely to me with the way the team has gelled of late). There has been a lot of talk about trading guys like Zednik and Ribeiro, but I think most of that speculation has come from people who look at the trade deadline as an opportunity to get rid of their least favourite players. The deadline can indeed be the time for that if the Canadiens consider themselves "sellers", but if Gainey really feels he's got a shot at a run in the playoffs, he's only going to look for moves that clearly, safely improve his team. He'll be looking for reinforcements or important upgrades. For the reinforcements, fringe players or draft picks should do the trick, but if he has a chance to get a big-time upgrade at center or the wing, it will cost him - more than just the player he wants to upgrade (namely, Ribeiro or Zednik). And I agree with you that the most likely candidates to sweeten the pot for such an "upgrade move" would be Ryder, Perezhogin, or maybe a hot minor league prospect - and not just picks.

Old
03-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Namso

I agree with the original poster. As much as I love Ryder, if someone is willing to give up a Jay-Bo or Richards etc. I wouldn't mind seeing him go.

Old
03-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz
Ryder is brutal defensively, I wouldnt mind trading him if we can have someone like Mark Bell in return.
first he isnt

and 2nd whats the point of trading everybody that lack defensive awareness...

We dont need 12 defensive attackers...

Best defense is offense!

Old
03-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso
I agree with the original poster. As much as I love Ryder, if someone is willing to give up a Jay-Bo or Richards etc. I wouldn't mind seeing him go.
Yeah TB would trade straight up Richards for Ryder...

They are in front of us in the east conference and still fighting for a playoff spot but they would trade Richard for Ryder, WOW!

And J-Bo, no way they would trade the guy for Ryder... Florida are building around young players and they would trade a guy 5 years younger than Ryder just because they won,t make the playoffs...

Old
03-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Captain Saku

let's pull out our crystal balls and try to be creative:

Gainey won't make any trade

Old
03-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBombay
first he isnt

and 2nd whats the point of trading everybody that lack defensive awareness...

We dont need 12 defensive attackers...

Best defense is offense!
Yes, Ryder is most certainly brutal defensively.

The point in trading brutal defensive players is, of course, to have no brutal defensive players.

I don't disagree that the best defense is a good offense, but even if you make that your team's philosophy, you will still need well-rounded players who will put in the extra effort and have the hockey sense to make the right plays and not cost their team.

Even Ribeiro and Kovalev have made improvements and put effort into their defensive game. Heck, Perezhogin's a potentially explosive player, yet he has been relatively sound defensively as well.

Old
03-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8

The point in trading brutal defensive players is, of course, to have no brutal defensive players.

I don't disagree that the best defense is a good offense, but even if you make that your team's philosophy, you will still need well-rounded players who will put in the extra effort and have the hockey sense to make the right plays and not cost their team.

Even Ribeiro and Kovalev have made improvements and put effort into their defensive game. Heck, Perezhogin's a potentially explosive player, yet he has been relatively sound defensively as well.
see? This guy gets it.

Old
03-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8

Well i would trade Zednik way before Ryder...

Cuz no way we would end with a guy like Richards for Ryder

And Vancouver aren't looking for a guy like Ryder they are looking for a dman, forget about ryder for todd...

Last edited by Vinceee: 03-05-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old
03-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Fozz

IMO, the first and perhaps the only Hab player traded from now until the deadline will be Sundstrom. Someone will take a flyer on him and Gainey should get a 3rd or 4th rounder in return.

Old
03-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBombay
Yeah TB would trade straight up Richards for Ryder...

They are in front of us in the east conference and still fighting for a playoff spot but they would trade Richard for Ryder, WOW!

And J-Bo, no way they would trade the guy for Ryder... Florida are building around young players and they would trade a guy 5 years younger than Ryder just because they won,t make the playoffs...

salary cap? if they know they can't fit richards into there lineup with the salary cap and still get a goalie, better to get a cheaper winger like ryder.

we might have to package something with ryder for jaybo but u get my point...

Old
03-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

This winning streak is great but it does put Gainey in a little predicament.

On one hand, the team is winning but if Gainey makes a move and the team starts losing again, then he will get crucfied by the media. Its like the old saying, "if it isn't broken, dont fix it"

On the other hand, if Gainey does believe in the "If it aint broke, dont fix it" theory, what if the team starts losing after the deadline anyways... or what if the team starts looking weak in the playoffs? Then Gainey will get crucfied in the media for not making a move at the deadline.

Its a little bit of a no win situation for Gainey, I think.

Dont get me wrong, anytime the team is winning is a good time, but it just gives Gainey more to think about when the team is winning in the week of the trade deadline.

Old
03-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
This winning streak is great but it does put Gainey in a little predicament.

On one hand, the team is winning but if Gainey makes a move and the team starts losing again, then he will get crucfied by the media. Its like the old saying, "if it isn't broken, dont fix it"

On the other hand, if Gainey does believe in the "If it aint broke, dont fix it" theory, what if the team starts losing after the deadline anyways... or what if the team starts looking weak in the playoffs? Then Gainey will get crucfied in the media for not making a move at the deadline.

Its a little bit of a no win situation for Gainey, I think.

Dont get me wrong, anytime the team is winning is a good time, but it just gives Gainey more to think about when the team is winning in the week of the trade deadline.
Good post. My hunch is that he's still looking for an improvement here and there.

Closed Thread