HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Horcoff promoted to first line

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2003, 06:01 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Horcoff promoted to first line

According to the Edmonton Journal Shawn Horcoff will play with Smyth and Hemsky. Other lines
Moreau - York - Pisani
Chimera - Reasoner - Devorak

They did not report on the 4th line or the D.

Old
10-25-2003, 06:12 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
According to the Edmonton Journal Shawn Horcoff will play with Smyth and Hemsky. Other lines
Moreau - York - Pisani

They did not report on the 4th line or the D.
Torres-Stoll-Laraque

Old
10-25-2003, 06:18 AM
Oiltalk

We should see Smyth playing on his wing tonight, where Hemsky set him up numerous times last year.

Old
10-25-2003, 06:41 AM
IceDragoon

MacT is cranking his blender up to puree. I understand the need for a bit of a shake up, but...

Old
10-25-2003, 06:42 AM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
This is good news. And also the fact Stoll in coming in is good. I'm sure he's hungry.

HNIC will kick butt tonight.

Why do I have to work?

:mad:

Old
10-25-2003, 06:50 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Torres-Stoll-Laraque
They had this line in preseason, as I recall it was a pretty good one too.

I wonder if it burns Lowe at all to see Lombardi scoring points on the first line with Iginla, while Stoll eats popcorn?

I'd still rather have Stoll.

Old
10-25-2003, 07:16 AM
OYLer

Could this be true?

Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Moreau - York - Pisani
Torres - Stoll - Laraque

Semonov Staios
Ferugson Smith
Cross Bergeron

Brewer & Isbister get some pressbox perspective. Works for me!

All three lines exhibit speed, some size and grit. The defensive pairings work if they move the puck quickly and/or dump it out immediately when in trouble.

Old
10-25-2003, 07:20 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Could this be true?

Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Moreau - York - Pisani
Torres - Stoll - Laraque

Semonov Staios
Ferugson Smith
Cross Bergeron

Brewer & Isbister get some pressbox perspective. Works for me!

All three lines exhibit speed, some size and grit. The defensive pairings work if they move the puck quickly and/or dump it out immediately when in trouble.
As much as I'd like to see it (for one game, anyway), I'd be SHOCKED if Brewer was pressboxed.

Old
10-25-2003, 07:27 AM
Yanner39

I'm glad to see Horc up on the first line. Last year, I was one poster who wanted his head but after the last months of the season, the playoffs and the WC, I'm glad he's getting a chance to play with quality wingers or offensive wingers.

On the Stoll subject, these days I rarely think of the Comrie situation, but I was thinking about it this morning. If Stoll comes in and plays solid against Cgy tonight and maybe CBJ next game, the may allow Lowe to deal Comrie quicker, and not necessarily for a centre. It may give K.lo more options so the Comrie situation can be put to rest.

Old
10-25-2003, 07:43 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12

I'd still rather have Stoll.
The sad reality is, we could easily have had both.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:10 AM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
I dont see why York and Dvorak dont play together it just dont make any sense

Old
10-25-2003, 08:12 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Digger12[/b]]As much as I'd like to see it (for one game, anyway), I'd be SHOCKED if Brewer was pressboxed.
If Cujo can handle some AHL conditioning, riding the pine might provide a sliver of penetration regarding committment, focus, and the need for proactive physicality from our bigger and supposedly more rugged players.

Both Brewtal and Itzy Bitsy have to start showing up and initiating leadership in the here and now. Imagine our own slightly bigger version of Scott Stevens. Standing up at the blueline and nailing some streaking forward instead of always collapsing into the defensive zone would help Eric's play. Brad must skate into traffic breaking sometimes for the inside holes with and without the puck. Both these big bodies have to force the oppositon to fear for their on ice health.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:18 AM
jadeddog

so is this a for-sure thing? the lines mentioned above?

smyth-horcoff-hemsky and
torres-stoll-laraque

if so, i couldnt be happier.... FINALLY we have smyth back at LW where he belings and FIANLLY we have stoll in the lineup. im also happy that torres is back on th 4th line (not that he playd badly on the 1st, but that he "fits" a 4th line role better).... im a bog fan of playing people at their best positions, and its nice to see 3 out of 4 people playing center that actually *are* centers

somebody else mentioned this as well, but i think it deserves repeating..... if this can work out for a few games (say 4-5).... i could see this allowing lowe to deal comrie "for the best player" instead of "for the best centermen that also happens to be big".... it would allow lowe MUCH more freedom for a trade

and again as somebody mentioned already.... i would much rather see york centering the 2nd line..... but i *have* been impressed with reasoners play, REALLY impressed actually, so i guess yorkie on the 3rd isnt so bad really

now all macT has to do is sit pisani for rita and this poster will be a happy boy and for those of you who would say that the lineup is already yong enough and we dont need another rookie in the lineup.... might i remind you that pisani is pretty much a rookie himself, and rita would be a HUGE talent upgrade

Old
10-25-2003, 08:33 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
somebody else mentioned this as well, but i think it deserves repeating..... if this can work out for a few games (say 4-5).... i could see this allowing lowe to deal comrie "for the best player" instead of "for the best centermen that also happens to be big".... it would allow lowe MUCH more freedom for a trade
There are those on this board who claim that at best Comrie is a second line center. Now Horcoff gets to start on the first line and suddenly our problems are solved? Horcoff will NEVER be a first line center and he will NEVER be better than Comrie. If by some miracle he plays most of the year as the Oilers first line center you can rest assured there is no playoff spot for us. I give him 2 games there at best.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:40 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
There are those on this board who claim that at best Comrie is a second line center. Now Horcoff gets to start on the first line and suddenly our problems are solved? Horcoff will NEVER be a first line center and he will NEVER be better than Comrie. If by some miracle he plays most of the year as the Oilers first line center you can rest assured there is no playoff spot for us. I give him 2 games there at best.
oh yeah i couldnt agree more.... horcoff is *at best* a 2nd line center... and i dont think that he will solve our centre problems at all either.... im just happy that we finally have smyth playing back on the wing where he belongs.... basically i think that horcoff doesnt really need to do a whole lot on that line except to play some D and let smyth and hemmer to "do their thing" (i really do think that highly of both of them)..... also if stoll can prove is a reliable NHL centerman that also takes some pressure off lowe for getting a C in return for comrie, because stoll will eventually be a 3rd line C (everybody seems to think so anyhow)

now dont get me wrong, i still *want* a big scoring C in return for comrie, but i just dont think its gonna happen.... and if stoll can work out as a C for real, then it makes our situation look much better (as does the play of reasoner as well btw)

Old
10-25-2003, 08:41 AM
Scorpion88

Quote:
Good Call!

Let's put our most overated (In Mac T's Mind) player as a first line center. I guess since he leads the team in NEGATIVE plus/minus he deserves a promotion to the number 1 spot.

I sure hope he proves me wrong!!

Old
10-25-2003, 08:43 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
The sad reality is, we could easily have had both.
The only reason Lombardi is in the NHL period is because the Oilers drafted Stoll.

The Flames wouldn't have picked him if the Oilers hadn't picked Stoll.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:58 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Well I disagree. I say give Horcoff 10 games to ramp-up and settle into the defensive component of this offensive line. With Hemsky and Smytty providing the offensive flare, and Horc helping Smytty to grunge-in the goalmouth garbage this line will thrive. Any on ice shenanigans happen where Smytty or Hemmer are targeted you send out Laraque who exacts merciless retributions, even taking an Instigator to send the message. Leave our skilled guys along. It's time for Laraque to intimidate in his protectors role.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:12 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Well I disagree. I say give Horcoff 10 games to ramp-up and settle into the defensive component of this offensive line. With Hemsky and Smytty providing the offensive flare, and Horc helping Smytty to grunge-in the goalmouth garbage this line will thrive. Any on ice shenanigans happen where Smytty or Hemmer are targeted you send out Laraque who exacts merciless retributions, even taking an Instigator to send the message. Leave our skilled guys along. It's time for Laraque to intimidate in his protectors role.
Given that BG is "honorable" and doesn't just beat people senseless for no reason I think you have identified a role that needs to be filled, light-heavyweight slugger / mucker. I thought Torres was going to fill that role but so far nada.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:15 AM
Whitenoise

Quote:
The only reason Lombardi is in the NHL period is because the Oilers drafted Stoll.

I thought Lombardi was drafted ahead of Stoll that year? Let me investigate...

EDIT: Nope, you're right. My bad.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:19 AM
mrush

imo, reasoner should be the guy on the top line with smyth and hemsky because when marchant was on the line last year it was good because smyth and hemsky didnt have to do an amazing job in their own end cause marchant was on the line. And reasoner is a better checker than horcoff so reasoner would be much better imo. And stoll should get 3rd line duties because people say he is a marchant type player. thats just my 2 cents.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:29 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Horc on the first line?

...greaaat...

Old
10-25-2003, 09:32 AM
speeds

Quote:
do you have any kind of reasoning to back that up?

Quote:
how do you know? And even if they wouldn't have, don't you think that he still would have been picked somewhere over the next 6 rounds?

Old
10-25-2003, 09:39 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
do you have any kind of reasoning to back that up?

how do you know? And even if they wouldn't have, don't you think that he still would have been picked somewhere over the next 6 rounds?
It was mentioned during the draft that the Flames were very upset when the Oilers drafted Stoll. I think Gord Miller during the TSN broadcast on the draft said the Flames were upset at the Oilers for drafting Stoll.

10-25-2003, 10:04 AM
riles

I can't understand how Horcoff is on the top line over Reasoner. Horc gets the spot after his 2 worst games of the season? Doesn't make sense to me. Marty is probably the best fit between Hemmer and Smytty that we have on our team. He's looked like a guy that wants to shoot in the last couple games, and actually has a good shot.

Closed Thread