HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

From a Devils fan who truely respects Ranger fans

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2006, 12:12 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

vCash: 500
Awards:
From a Devils fan who truely respects Ranger fans

And as a hockey fan first who sense that my boys will be butting heads with your boys for many years to come in the regular season and the playoffs due to your legit emergence as a real contender in the NHL, it would sadden me to see what should be great discussion between us - Devils and Ranger fans - on our teams battles turn into huge, useless and demeaning pissing matches because we forget what we are and what separates us from the other Neanderthal of sports fans and that is that we are hockey fans first and fore most.

And what makes us the hockey fans that we are is the passion that we behold for our teams and our debates should never be minus that passion, but what should be minus is any disrespect anyone feels that they should show towards to another poster because of the team that they back and you guys have my word that any Devils poster who crosses that line here in your forum, ours or anywhere here at Hockey Futures against Ranger posters will be dealt by me with the swift of the hand that is due them.

Lets set the example of what being rival hockey fans should be all about instead of feeding into the stereotype of what they are. Both our franchises have had great history and if I may say so your has been greater than ours being that you are a cherished original six member.

I guess I am hoping that despite whatever ill feelings that either fans have developed - Devils or Rangers - we can still coexist without resorting to degrading each other.

Cheers and good luck with your boys,

Lou

03-06-2006, 12:18 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Great post Lou.

Old
03-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Large_Farva*

Send a message via MSN to Large_Farva*
I am a Ranger fan 1st, hockey fan 2nd.. but I agree.

Good jog Lou dog

Old
03-06-2006, 12:31 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Great post Lou.

Old
03-06-2006, 12:33 AM
SML

Lou, let me say that I truly despise the Devils franchise, but I respect it. It is like an age old nemesis you must battle to become who you are supposed to be. Could Luke Skywalker be a hero with no Evil Empire? Could Superman be super if there were no evil to fight? No, No they could not. In order to root for one team, you must in turn root against another. I hate the Devils, yet there is no place I would rather be than rinkside when my beloved Rangers square off with them. There must be rivals in order for rivalries to exist. If my entire season were watching the Rangers play Columbus, St.Louis, Anaheim, and the like, I would quickly lose interest. My favorite games are the ones vs. the Devils, Isles, Flyers even Buffalo is working it's way onto the list. Thank you for your kind words. You root for the enemy, but I understand. You couldn't do it any other way, and neither can we over here. Good luck in the future, and know that I root against your team with all my heart and soul, but only because it has to be that way.
SML

Old
03-06-2006, 01:08 AM
xander

I'm all for heated discussion, bitter argument and even some open antagonism between devils and ranger fans. But it has to hold to a modicum of respect and intelligence. What occurred earlier today was neither of these things. I know that I always get annoyed when a ranger fan makes a fool out of himself, as happened earlier today, because the rest of us get brought down by it.

Old
03-06-2006, 01:17 AM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Very well said Lou.

I've always had respect for fans of other teams (comes with the territory when dating a season ticket holder for the enemy) and I hope other people can act with respect too. By now I've learned to ignore those who are only trying to stir up trouble and bait others into a flame war; I hope everyone else can do the same so we can have some good discussion here.

I hope this was coherent, I'm friggin' exhausted; It's way past my bedtime. 'night folks.

Old
03-06-2006, 05:36 AM
pld459666

As long as you keep that Jersey Trash off this

board

Seriously, I agree with your post and would hope that the normal trolls from boths sides of the river do not allow their inner and outer child to take over their brain as they type a new post or a response.

I'd also like to call upon ourselves to somewhat attempt to adjust any out of line posters so as to keep the conversation respectful and thoughtful.

Good Post Lou.

Now lose a few games for me would ya.

Old
03-06-2006, 06:21 AM
eco's bones

I don't know how anyone here could have disrespect for the Devils organization. It is if not the best run at least within the top 2 or 3 franchises in the league. That being said Ranger fans generally see them as one of their 3 arch-rivals--the one in fact that beat the pants off of them several years in a row so we really like it when our team beats your team and as a practical matter we can use this years season series between us as a gauge to see how much we've improved. One thing so far is the Devils have never beaten us in a head to head playoff series and hopefully that won't happen this year. And truthfully I don't think your team is as deep as it has been at the NHL level or on the prospect level. Even with all that I have no problem talking to reasonable people whatever team they like and I hope they'll pardon whatever unreasonable commentary of mine.

Old
03-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
And as a hockey fan first who sense that my boys will be butting heads with your boys for many years to come in the regular season and the playoffs due to your legit emergence as a real contender in the NHL, it would sadden me to see what should be great discussion between us - Devils and Ranger fans - on our teams battles turn into huge, useless and demeaning pissing matches because we forget what we are and what separates us from the other Neanderthal of sports fans and that is that we are hockey fans first and fore most.

And what makes us the hockey fans that we are is the passion that we behold for our teams and our debates should never be minus that passion, but what should be minus is any disrespect anyone feels that they should show towards to another poster because of the team that they back and you guys have my word that any Devils poster who crosses that line here in your forum, ours or anywhere here at Hockey Futures against Ranger posters will be dealt by me with the swift of the hand that is due them.

Lets set the example of what being rival hockey fans should be all about instead of feeding into the stereotype of what they are. Both our franchises have had great history and if I may say so your has been greater than ours being that you are a cherished original six member.

I guess I am hoping that despite whatever ill feelings that either fans have developed - Devils or Rangers - we can still coexist without resorting to degrading each other.

Lou
This was hands down, without a doubt, the most boring post I've ever read.

Old
03-06-2006, 08:15 AM
sling

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
I'm all for heated discussion, bitter argument and even some open antagonism between devils and ranger fans. But it has to hold to a modicum of respect and intelligence. What occurred earlier today was neither of these things. I know that I always get annoyed when a ranger fan makes a fool out of himself, as happened earlier today, because the rest of us get brought down by it.
If you're referring to my thread. I take exception.

My points remain and it's a valid question: Is Lou the greatest?

I submit he built a very successful full time trapping team.

Do you have to be a great GM to build that type of team? I guess he was better than the other GMs of similar teams, and his system was in the right place at the right time in the history of the NHL.

For all the crap teams the Rangers had, they tried (obviously in a flawed manner) to keep the game open and give their skilled guys the freedom to at least attempt to show it off. I give Sather and Smith some credit for that.

As for the Dumb-it-down line, it is a way to suggest that this type of game plays to the lowest common denominator. You can teach defense, but you can't teach skill.

And if this style didn't dumb the game down, why the drop in TV numbers, and why did the league institute rules to fight against it?

Old
03-06-2006, 08:32 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sling
My points remain and it's a valid question: Is Lou the greatest?
The "greatest", I don't know about it. However, how can you argue against what he has put together over the last decade? 3 Cups are 3 Cups. One of the top teams year-in, year-out. What's not to like?
Quote:
Who cares what type of team they are? The Red Wings trapped just as much, as did Colarado? Either you are successfull or you are not.
Quote:
Do you have to be a great GM to build that type of team? I guess he was better than the other GMs of similar teams, and his system was in the right place at the right time in the history of the NHL.
You are trying hard not to give him any credit. Results speak loud and clear.
Quote:
For all the crap teams the Rangers had, they tried (obviously in a flawed manner) to keep the game open and give their skilled guys the freedom to at least attempt to show it off. I give Sather and Smith some credit for that.
Full credit for failing to adapt to the evolving NHL? Credit for what? For putting together what quickly became the biggest joke in all of organized sports?
Quote:
As for the Dumb-it-down line, it is a way to suggest that this type of game plays to the lowest common denominator. You can teach defense, but you can't teach skill.
And good defense almost always beats good skill. Same as in any sport.

Old
03-06-2006, 08:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Lou
Tremendous post. Lets raise the level of conversation!

03-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Is Lou the greatest?

When they look back at Lou's career, they won't ask "how?", they'll ask "how many?". The goal is to win and he did, so why belittle the accomplishment?

Old
03-06-2006, 08:41 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
When they look back at Lou's career, they won't ask "how?", they'll ask "how many?". The goal is to win and he did, so why belittle the accomplishment?

Well said.

Old
03-06-2006, 08:45 AM
sling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
It's amazing. Belittle the accomplishment?

I said he built a trapping team. And was successful at it.

I asked is it easier to build a trapping team than an aggressive forecheck team.

I'm not permitted by the high and mighty of the ranger fans to do that?

Get a grip.

Old
03-06-2006, 08:49 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I'm not permitted by the high and mighty of the ranger fans to do that?

Get a grip.
It's your topic, if you don't want people to comment on it, why bring it up?

Old
03-06-2006, 08:53 AM
sling

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
The "greatest", I don't know about it. However, how can you argue against what he has put together over the last decade? 3 Cups are 3 Cups. One of the top teams year-in, year-out. What's not to like?
The style. You know the one that the NHL has changed its rules to try to eliminate.

Quote:
You are trying hard not to give him any credit. Results speak loud and clear.
Any credit? Try reading next time.

Quote:
Full credit for failing to adapt to the evolving NHL? Credit for what? For putting together what quickly became the biggest joke in all of organized sports?
This, I think is basic English. But, I know what you're about True Blue.

A spinmeister that is. So it always appears that you're the one who's right.

Did I write "full credit"?

No, I didn't.

I wrote "some credit."

There's a big difference. But it shows that your arguments are dellusional, and you have no ability to read the English language.

Duby duby doo...

Old
03-06-2006, 08:56 AM
sling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
It's your topic, if you don't want people to comment on it, why bring it up?
You guys really are amazing.

Did I say "I don't want people to comment on it"?

No I didn't.

What he said was innaccurate, as is your comment.

Do you two always put words in people's mouths?

Old
03-06-2006, 08:56 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
OK, back on topic please. The topic is not about Lou but rather what our Lou wrote.

If you want to comment on sling's original post, the thread can be found here:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=227313

Old
03-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Davisian

Quote:

The Native American tribes of the Great Plains have a word for that, they call it Mishimitokalangtonata. Which, roughly translated means "About as fun as watching grass grow," in most tribes, but also means "your GM looks like an Oompa Loompa" in others..

I kid, I kid..

Nice thoughts Lou, but lets just agree that if we do degrade or otherwise talk smack, at least make it a bit humorous and with some degree of wit..

Yes, very much unlike myself..

Old
03-06-2006, 09:14 AM
True Blue

Quote:
The style. You know the one that the NHL has changed its rules to try to eliminate.
Change whatever it wants, results is how sports history is judged. No "style points" are handed out. Devils seem to be doing just well in the "new" NHL. And the trap seemed to be alive and well on Saturday. But, it was not just the Devils that were playing it. The Rangers did a pretty good job of it as well.
Quote:
Any credit? Try reading next time.
I did. And you are trying very hard to qualify NJ success.
Quote:
But, I know what you're about True Blue.
Well good thing someone does.
Quote:
Did I write "full credit"?

No, I didn't.

I wrote "some credit."
To give anyone credit for making an entire organization a joke while trying to take credit from one of the more successfull franchises is pretty laughable.

Old
03-06-2006, 09:15 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
OK, back on topic please. The topic is not about Lou but rather what our Lou wrote.

If you want to comment on sling's original post, the thread can be found here:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=227313
Whoops, and then I read this. Sorry Singin'.

Old
03-06-2006, 10:23 AM
HBK27

Anyway, excellent post as always Lou. As a Devils fan, I absolutely hate the Rangers, but it's actually good to see them doing well again since this is such a great rivalry when both teams are winning. Hopefully, we can see both teams meet up in the playoffs this year (with different results than in the past though)...

Old
03-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Great post, that sums up exactly how I feel. I don't mind debate about the Devils and their current assets. Just keep it clean with little to no name calling.

Closed Thread