HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Franz Nielsen next season

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2006, 02:16 AM
calgarylen13

vCash: 500
Franz Nielsen next season

Just had news that after the VM in Latvia, Franz Nielsen will be making the trip over to be with the New York Islanders. I'm not sure if he'll be playing AHL or what exactly is the case, but it was in the newspaper over here today. I don't have a weblink, but it was announceced in 10minutter a free danish newspaper . He is currently playing in Timrå, Sweden

Great to see a Dane make the move, now I just hope he can stick it with the Islanders. He is one of the many young stars out of Herning which have developed through the Danish system. I wish him so much success in North America

Old
03-07-2006, 02:23 AM
calgarylen13

I got a link, though its in Danish:

http://sporten.tv2.dk/ishockey/article.php/3778020.html

Old
03-07-2006, 06:41 AM
dok101

Thanks for the link. We need all the help we can get.

Old
03-07-2006, 07:11 AM
tool123

This is what I like to see.....NEW BLOOD! Who's next? Volkov???

Old
03-07-2006, 08:24 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarylen13
Just had news that after the VM in Latvia, Franz Nielsen will be making the trip over to be with the New York Islanders. I'm not sure if he'll be playing AHL or what exactly is the case, but it was in the newspaper over here today. I don't have a weblink, but it was announceced in 10minutter a free danish newspaper . He is currently playing in Timrå, Sweden

Great to see a Dane make the move, now I just hope he can stick it with the Islanders. He is one of the many young stars out of Herning which have developed through the Danish system. I wish him so much success in North America
Thanks for the info.The isles will likely have a few of this yr's ahlers, playing for the Isles in 2006-07.Unless Franz has an outstanding training camp and steals a spot,I'd expect him to be in Bridgeport for 2006-07.

Does he play in all situations for his current team?

Old
03-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
That's fairly exciting news. He's one of the European prospects I'd like to see in NA next year, along with Volkov and Chernykh (haven't given up entirely on this guy yet). I hope we see them all at least in Bridgeport. Hopefully this means one down.

Old
03-07-2006, 08:40 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool123
This is what I like to see.....NEW BLOOD! Who's next? Volkov???
or maybe even the Iron Shiek

Old
03-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
Only Hogan could stop that line.

Old
03-07-2006, 08:57 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to bring us this information.

Clear day in the AHL is supposed to be Monday where AHL teams submit their playoff roster, is there any chance Nielsen could be on it for the Sound Tigers or is this a cameo (as Pettinen/Martinek) had in Bridgeport at the end of some seasons?

Old
03-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
haha you beat me too it.

How about Colonel Mustafa?

Old
03-07-2006, 02:40 PM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Thanks for the info.The isles will likely have a few of this yr's ahlers, playing for the Isles in 2006-07.Unless Franz has an outstanding training camp and steals a spot,I'd expect him to be in Bridgeport for 2006-07.

Does he play in all situations for his current team?
I don't see him grabbing a roster spot, though he is held in very high regard over here in Denmark. In Sweden, I don't think he's seen as an elite player, but one of the better choices. As i'm not in Sweden I unfortunately don't get to see much of his play (only one game), but I have seen some of his old Herning matches and he dominated the ice in them and was relied upon heavily by this very strong club (in Denmark). For team Denmark he has been one of the best players (probably just behind Kim Staal) and all the Danes are excited to see him play in the VM.

I wish I could give more information, but he has been in Sweden the last 3 years, and I am looking out to see if there will be any Timraa games, but the VM will be screened here, as soon as I get more details i'll try and pass them on. But Denmark is very excited by this (well Aalborg anyway) as Danes are really into Ice Hockey!

Old
03-07-2006, 02:48 PM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
Thanks for taking the time to bring us this information.

Clear day in the AHL is supposed to be Monday where AHL teams submit their playoff roster, is there any chance Nielsen could be on it for the Sound Tigers or is this a cameo (as Pettinen/Martinek) had in Bridgeport at the end of some seasons?
No worries mate, its an interest for me to see the progress of Danish hockey, and passing the information on is only natural. As for whether he can make an appearance for Bridgeport, I think it'll be a timing issue...from the article I read he will be heading straight to the Islanders after the VM has finished. That date is the 21st of May, however I reckon we can be confident that Denmark will not be in the final rounds of the tournament, so once they are finished, I presume he will be coming but I cannot guarantee this. I see that Bridgeport plays their final regular season game on the 15th of April, so perhaps they might not be interested in Nielsen if he can't be there from the start? I will keep an open eye for any information, but I only speak and understand limited Danish.

Old
03-07-2006, 03:02 PM
tool123

Quote:
No worries mate, its an interest for me to see the progress of Danish hockey, and passing the information on is only natural. As for whether he can make an appearance for Bridgeport, I think it'll be a timing issue...from the article I read he will be heading straight to the Islanders after the VM has finished. That date is the 21st of May, however I reckon we can be confident that Denmark will not be in the final rounds of the tournament, so once they are finished, I presume he will be coming but I cannot guarantee this. I see that Bridgeport plays their final regular season game on the 15th of April, so perhaps they might not be interested in Nielsen if he can't be there from the start? I will keep an open eye for any information, but I only speak and understand limited Danish.
calgarylen13, I want to thank you for this info. Info like this is definately appreciated since our website is to busy doing something else???

Just want to add that the Isles scouts have said that Nielsen is more of a defensive forward. Someone who can kill penalties and chip away with offense when needed. I'll take that and if he plays in Bridgeport this year or next I will be there to take a look at him myself!

Old
03-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Seph

Was just looking at the stats and noticed the Nielsen has put up pretty decent numbers. Generally, his scouting report says more of a playmaker than a goal scorer, but until this season, he's always scored more goals than assists.

Also of some interest, he was drafted the same year as Steen and is the same age (less than a two months difference). In the two seasons before this season, Steen put up 19g in 98 games, and Nielsen had 17g in 99 games. Also both players have been noted for their 2way games, are excellent skaters and are more or less the exact same size.

Nielsen might have more upside than we originally thought. I hope he comes over so we can see how he fares against NA players.

Old
03-07-2006, 05:33 PM
KH1

Awesome news, thanks calgarylen!

Not that I am looking for another never ending rebuilding process like the 90s in the name of the great and never present "Future," but I'd be willing to watch the Isles kids next season as long as Wang commits money to building a contender. At least these prospects are all hard working guys.

In any case I hope the Isles give Nielsen at least a token appearence next season so he can become the first Dane in NHL history.

Old
03-07-2006, 05:36 PM
OlTimeHockey

Great news.....I'll have coffee with that Danish, thanx.

Volkov would be nice, too........but I don't want to sound greedy.

I'm still happy Nilsson made it over.

Old
03-07-2006, 08:36 PM
jntn

Does he play in all situations for his current team?[/QUOTE]

Nielsen could be described as two way center, and I'm pretty sure he played in all kinds of situations with Timrå this season. However, I think his team, who missed the playoff, expected him to contribute with more offense (5 goals and 13 assists in 50 games) (he was also minus 18 with 22 pim). But maybe his lack of scoring had something to with the fact that he most of the time played in a line together with Kent Manderville.

Old
03-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Really glad to hear about this. Now just let's try and get Volkov over here and take a gamble on him. We could use a tough, veteran two-way forward like Volkov who can step in right away and potentially grab a roster spot.

Old
03-16-2006, 08:04 AM
Tobias

Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
I can inform you, that he does play in all situations

Closed Thread