HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Have any teams changed their team colours as many times as the Canucks?

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2006, 07:14 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Have any teams changed their team colours as many times as the Canucks?

Especially considering colour changes per year in the league.

1. Blue/Green/White
3. Several variations of Yellow/Orange/Black/White
4. Black/Silver/Maroon/Blue/White

I know the Capitals have changed their scheme (maroon to teal), as have the Sabres (blue/yellow to red/black), Penguins (blue to black), LA (yellow/purple to black/silver)

Franchises that have moved and changed their names are not included, though even those clubs may not have changed as often as Vancouver:

Carolina (blue/green/white to red/black/white)
Colorado (blue/white/red to purple/white/blue)
Phoenix (blue/white/red to dark red/green/white to dark red/white - perhaps same amount of changes, but far less drastic than that of Vancouver)

Anyhow, which club has made the most substantial colour changes of any team in the league?

Old
03-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Kansas City Scouts/Colorado Rockies had blue, red and yellow colour scheme, which was changed to green, white red and black in New Jersey, and then just red, white and black

Old
03-06-2006, 07:30 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Kansas City Scouts/Colorado Rockies had blue, red and yellow colour scheme, which was changed to green, white red and black in New Jersey, and then just red, white and black
I forgot about how New Jersey changed the green accent to black. So did the Remembrance Day poppy now that I think about it. Coincidence? I think not!

I suppose this does tie the Canucks, though I'd argue the final change isn't quite as substantial as that of Vancouver. And, as I said, moved franchises don't count.

Old
03-06-2006, 08:11 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Just to clarify your post, green and black were not team colors at the same time.

The Devils had red, green & white from 1982-83 until the end of he 1991-92 season. The team then changed green to black to have Red, Black & White.

The Los Angeles Kings originally had gold and purple as the team colors. White was almost non-existent in their uniforms. They wore gold away sweaters instead of white like most of the teams of the 1960's did. The only appearance of white was in the bottom of the crown logo. I don't know if it was officially a team color. In the late 1980's, they changed to black, silver and white. They now have purple (blueish purple maybe,) silver, black and white.

Carolina has red, black and white right now. Previuosly, when they were in Hartford, they had green, blue, silver and white. They also had green and white as the New England Whalers of the WHA, and later added gold to the green, blue and white.

Old
03-06-2006, 10:13 PM
David Puddy

The Pittsburgh Penguins began life in fall 1967 with the team colors of baby-blue, navy-blue and white. One season later, a yellow triangle, which represents the three rivers of the city, appeared behind a penguin on the sweater. In early 1980, the Penguins scrapped the blues for black and yellow. According to Andrew M. Greenstein of nhluniforms.com, it was done to mimmick the city's other two major league teams, the NFL's Steelers and MLB's Pirates. Those two teams wore those colors and had been Champions of their respective sports. In the 1990's, Pittsburgh would adopt its alternative sweater as its road sweater. It featured sections with silver-gray. The club currently has traded the yellow for vegas-gold to go along with black and white.

While some of the changes were subtle, certainly when compaired to the radical changes of Vancouver, the Penguins have had five different combinations. Here they are:

1. baby-blue, navy-blue & white
2. baby-blue, navy-blue, white & yellow
3. black, yellow, white
4. black, yellow, silver-gray & white
5. black, vegas-gold & white

Lastly, here are some websites that deal with uniforms and logos that may be of interest:
Andrew M. Greenstein's www.nhluniforms.com &www.whauniforms.com
Chris Creamer's ****************
And SportsEcyclopedia

Closed Thread