HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will be next year's second line center?

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Starsdude

vCash: 500
Who will be next year's second line center?

candidates would be resign Arnott, elevate Ott or Kaps, move jokinin to center, sign a lower priced vet, sign O. Jokinin and change colors to Finland Blue and White. Any thoughts?

Old
03-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I'd have to suggest Olli as well, it only makes sense, a Finn signing in Dallas

The next most logical move in hockey would be Satan signing with New Jersey

Old
03-07-2006, 05:58 AM
Savolainen

I would like Perttu Lindgren.

Old
03-07-2006, 06:21 AM
Joretus

Perttu will need 1-2 years to get more stregnth and one season in AHL to get more physical dimension for his game.

Old
03-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
would be great if we could sign O.Jokinen, but meantime i'd also be happy with Arnott.

hopefully we can drop Niinimaa or Skoula after the season

Old
03-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Famous Flames

If the Stars can't resign Arnott, they won't be able to sign Jokinen. Olli will likely be out of their price range regardless.

Stars preferably would sign someone physical to fill that 2nd line role. Arnott would probably be best if he would resign. Arnason is a cheaper possibility. Guess they could take a chance on Jason Allison. Maybe Cajanek from STL. Roenick??

If they promote from within, Barnes would probably get 2nd line duty with oner of the Finns or Hagos playing 3rd or 4th line C.

Last edited by Famous Flames: 03-07-2006 at 09:20 AM.
Old
03-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous Flames
If the Stars can't resign Arnott, they won't be able to sign Jokinen. Olli will likely be out of their price range regardless.
why not ?
waive Guerin, sent him down to Iowa and hey, there're nearly $7 Mio cap space (so it's not only if the Stars can resign Arnott but also if they want)

and if i've the cap space available i'd prefer Jokinen over Arnott

Old
03-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Famous Flames

Olli will probably command 5 to 6m a year. Stars can't afford that with the salary they have committed.

Old
03-07-2006, 10:18 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Olli will probably command 5 to 6m a year. Stars can't afford that with the salary they have committed.
Depends on what the salary cap is and what moves the Stars make beforehand.

I'm not sure I agree he gets that kind of salary, either. Jokinen is a 60-ish point player having a career season with loads of ice time. Demitra -- an equally if not more skilled player -- just went for $4.5 million this season.

Last edited by The Frugal Gourmet: 03-07-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old
03-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Famous Flames

Good points. A few counters to consider -- There are few really good UFA centers available in 2006, there are lots of teams looking for a #1 center (and willing to pay #1 money) and teams have a better idea of how to work within the cap system. I think all of that will inflate center prices and work against the Stars.

Old
03-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Starsdude

I think if Arnott was willing to take something in the $4 mill range, he would have already been signed. He likely wants 6+ and thus the problem. Alot depends on what the cap number is and what they do with Guerin. I think it is likely that a second tier guy will be brought in for next year unless someone believes Jussi can be a center (which I doubt).

Old
03-07-2006, 11:09 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Good points. A few counters to consider -- There are few really good UFA centers available in 2006, there are lots of teams looking for a #1 center (and willing to pay #1 money) and teams have a better idea of how to work within the cap system. I think all of that will inflate center prices and work against the Stars.
It might. Every team needs a #1 center, but a great #2 center is considered somewhat of a luxury item in a capped NHL. I can see him being priced high. Honestly, if he's too high the Stars might consider passing and looking at alternative ways to spend their money.

I'm not sure what other good centers will be available. Richards and Arnott, off the top of my head....

Old
03-07-2006, 11:10 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
I think if Arnott was willing to take something in the $4 mill range, he would have already been signed. He likely wants 6+ and thus the problem. Alot depends on what the cap number is and what they do with Guerin. I think it is likely that a second tier guy will be brought in for next year unless someone believes Jussi can be a center (which I doubt).
I think the Stars would be relatively crazy to spend over $4 million for Arnott, unless the salary cap goes way up and Arnott (finally) shows something playing his current role in the postseason.

Old
03-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Starsdude

I am not sure they can or will pay much more than 4.5 or so. That said going into next year with Barnes as a #2 center would suck. Passing year after year on guys like O'sully, Schremp and even Hudler hurts and we will pay for it next year. It makes no sense to take guys like Clune Sawada or Fistric when when grinders and defensive d-men can be obtained for mid-round picks and they come with experience

Old
03-07-2006, 11:58 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
I am not sure they can or will pay much more than 4.5 or so. That said going into next year with Barnes as a #2 center would suck. Passing year after year on guys like O'sully, Schremp and even Hudler hurts and we will pay for it next year. It makes no sense to take guys like Clune Sawada or Fistric when when grinders and defensive d-men can be obtained for mid-round picks and they come with experience
Meh. I don't think there's much sense in worrying quite yet. Arnott may please us in the postseason -- in which case maybe we'll be feeling generous -- or he may be unimpressive yet again -- in which case letting him go won't be that painful. We don't really know what the salary cap will be. We don't know for sure who will really be available, what the market will be, and who we'll be able to part with. We won't know what pressing needs will be exposed between now and then. I think we shouldn't panic regarding the #2 center situation. It's not even one of the most critical positions, if you ask me.

Closed Thread