Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roloson Traded to EDM

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2006, 07:31 AM
CB420

vCash: 500
my first reaction to this trade was bad, I thought we were trying to make a push for a guy like biron or curtis joesph, but the asking price for both were probly to high.

my second thing that came to mind right away, was roloson in 2003 wen u guys went to the conf. finals... roloson stood on his head sideways and was just brilliant!! he really out-played I think cloutier in the vancouver series in 7, then the wild's game 7 win over colorado out-dueling patrick roy, so roloson is cool, calm and collective under pressure, so thats why I started liking this deal more.

the deal was if kevin lowe can sign roloson for next season, then minny gets the extra added draft pick (the 3rd rounder I think) and the other draft pick could both work, for both teams regardless of the playoff race and inter divison, Kevin Lowe had to make the best deal available, and it should be fun to see roloson play the 4 games left vs you guys now should be a little more motivated for those games

Old
03-09-2006, 07:51 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin
So just curious, are you guys cool with giving up on the playoffs essentially? You figured it was a done deal anyway?
Losing the last 5 of 6 pretty much took care of our playoff hopes, in my opinion. Roloson probably wasn't going to get to play a bunch down the stretch anyway, and missing the playoffs by 7 points or 11 points doesn't make too much of a difference to me.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:10 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by #16
There's no guarantee that this scenario couldn't happen if the Oilers got Luongo instead. One trade doesn't make or break a team (unless it's a "Lindros to Philly" type of deal).
The day after the oilers season ends

the oilers will be looking at the goaltending yet again

it was a stop gap trade that cost the oilers a first rounder

Rolo is 36 and heading towards UFA

from an oilers point of view--this does not answer the number one goalie situation long term and by giving up a first rounder--it does adversely affect what the oilers can give up and get a number 1 goalie...

BTW

if Rolo is such a great goalie--he was the back up in Minny and has a losing record.....?

right?

Minny loves the deal cause you all just nabbed another firs rounder for a guy who you all were going to lose for nothing in 3 months!

right?

Old
03-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu

EDIT: BTW, you minnesota fans are a class act. Maybe you're just talking it up to be nice, but it's funny when I don't see too many of you claiming it was an absolute fleecing.
Well thank you; that's nice of you to say.

No, we're not going out of our way to be diplomatic here. We're all speaking our minds. You see, we know something most of you Oiler fans probably don't realize yet - the fact of the matter is, you did get yourselves one hell of a goaltender. We've watched Roloson for years, and we know that the man's definitely #1 material and a solid playoff performer. You'll come to see that over the next few weeks, as you get a chance to watch him work every night.

You didn't get fleeced. Granted, we got one hell of a good deal, and I'd say we definitely won the trade, but the fact that you overpaid doesn't mean you didn't get value. You did, and while I think it's likely that this trade will never really sit well with your fan base, you'll at least have the consolation of knowing you got a damned good goalie out of the deal.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:50 AM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark

from an oilers point of view--this does not answer the number one goalie situation long term and by giving up a first rounder--it does adversely affect what the oilers can give up and get a number 1 goalie...

BTW

if Rolo is such a great goalie--he was the back up in Minny and has a losing record.....?

right?

Minny loves the deal cause you all just nabbed another firs rounder for a guy who you all were going to lose for nothing in 3 months!

right?
I dont like that trade that much too, but do you know which other Options Lowe had? And we needed a Goalie, as you know. What would had you say when Lowe did not make a goalie trade at all?
Roloson is an upgrade for sure, not the one many from hoped for, but we have to live with that.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Scott Dillon

All the points you have made are very true, but don't discount Roloson because of his wins and losses, his record is more of a reflection of the way the team played in front of him than how he was in net. For some reason, our guys get up to play for Manny. I think he will more than likely start to shine for Edmonton, and the change of scenery will help turn him around for the better.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:

right?
A 1st and a 3rd, actually, because I think you're gonna like Roli and I think it's probable that you'll sign him. But other than that, yeah - you're absolutely right. We got one hell of a deal here for a guy that was only going to play 3 or 4 games for us before leaving anyway.

Old
03-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
I think "win win" truly describes the trade. However, I would hate for the Wild to trade a first rounder for a 36 year old UFA to be. It's a great deal for the Wild from every angle, because if Edmonton doesn't resign Roli, the Wild picked their pocket for a 20 game rental. If the Oil keeps Roli, our pot gets sweetened with an additional 3rd rounder.

By the way CB420, it was Fernendez who played most of the games vs. Colorado in the playoffs that year. Fernandez beat Colorado, Roli beat the Canucks.

Old
03-09-2006, 10:12 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Definately win/win. I think Edmonton overpaid, but I knew they would have to in order to get a goalie (especially from a team in the same division), but I don't think it was a drastic overpay.

Has Roloson been in many shootouts this season? And if so, how has he been?

Old
03-10-2006, 12:24 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
Definately win/win. I think Edmonton overpaid, but I knew they would have to in order to get a goalie (especially from a team in the same division), but I don't think it was a drastic overpay.

I know he's lost twice to Columbus...the first time he made 52 saves while the team in front of him flopped and gave up a lead...

Old
03-11-2006, 12:35 AM
t0mf00lery

Well, after one game with Roli I'm impressed with his rebound control and his poise. Granted he let 5 by him, but what the Oilers have been lacking is a goalie who can make the first save and not let out "Jussi" rebounds.

Also, Oilers goalies have generally have no confidence this year, so now Roli comes in here with his cool and calm dimeanor and it should settle the whole team down. I really like how he looks between the pipes.

Old
03-11-2006, 05:48 AM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerric
Well, after one game with Roli I'm impressed with his rebound control and his poise. Granted he let 5 by him, but what the Oilers have been lacking is a goalie who can make the first save and not let out "Jussi" rebounds.

Also, Oilers goalies have generally have no confidence this year, so now Roli comes in here with his cool and calm dimeanor and it should settle the whole team down. I really like how he looks between the pipes.
why does everyone say 'overpaid' when that's what the market bears? it's not what some jack paid last year, or for some other position, it's a goalie where other gms were asking for smyth or hemsky. if i were lowe, i would make this roloson trade just out of spite !

Old
03-11-2006, 05:49 AM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit

oops. quoted the wrong person.

Old
03-15-2006, 02:18 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:

BTW

right?

right?
Late 1st rounders are overrated especiailly in a weak draft year. The Oilers did give up a lot but it is not horribily lopsided when one takes the homerism out of it and really thinks about it.

Closed Thread