HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

We need Brind'Amour, Carolina doesn't

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2003, 09:53 AM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
We need Brind'Amour, Carolina doesn't

So far this season the Oilers have:

-the Comrie deal hanging over their heads
-lost two more games than they've won
-a respectable gf
-a decent pp at home
-been shut out twice on the road
-the second worst ga in the league
-yet to win on the road
-had almost as many fights as all of last season
-already blown a 3 goal lead
-lots of shorthanded goals

Did I miss anything important?

Overall the Oilers have:

-a very talented young team
-good size/speed/toughness
-some very highly ranked prospects

What's the main ingredient missing here, both for the present and the future?

A strong veteran presence at the #1 center position. No team can be successful without that and our prospects will be better off if they come into a winning environment.

Sure there are some teams with young guys there that do ok like last year's Oilers, Canucks, Bruins, Lightning, etc, but the Devils are the rare exception to the rule that you need a top notch center to be a great team.

In my days it's been Sakic/Forsberg, Yzerman, Lemieux, Gretzky, Messier, Modano/Nieuwendyk, Trottier...

I'm not saying that Rod will get us a Cup this year, but he'll create a lot of stability here and the team will be in good shape when he's ready to hand over the reins to whomever.

Carolina doesn't need him, they're in the Ovechkin derby for certain now after finishing dead last a year ago and now having one win so far this season.

Comrie for Brind'Amour and a pick/prospect, plus we get $1m/year of Rod's contract paid for.

This way Carolina is in no danger of losing their spot in "the derby", and the Oilers have a good shot at a 100 point season and a playoff run.

Smyth Brind'Amour Dvo
Izzy York Hemsky
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Chimera Horcoff Laraque

Call me crazy, but I've always had a ton of respect for Brind'Amour and I think he's still got lots of gas left in the tank, plus he's like a forgotten man in Carolina. I think he's the best center in the world that we could almost afford here, if we overpay in young talent we may get some money in return to help make it work out financially.

Dig in...

Old
10-26-2003, 10:07 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!

Comrie for Brind'Amour and a pick/prospect, plus we get $1m/year of Rod's contract paid for.

This way Carolina is in no danger of losing their spot in "the derby", and the Oilers have a good shot at a 100 point season and a playoff run.

Smyth Brind'Amour Dvo
Izzy York Hemsky
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Chimera Horcoff Laraque
I just can't agree with moving a 23 year old c for an old guy. It doesn't make sense for the direction EDM is moving.

Even that aside, how does adding Rod make this a 100 point team? The D is terrible (I told ya all, hehehe), not so much the forwards

Old
10-26-2003, 10:24 AM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I just can't agree with moving a 23 year old c for an old guy. It doesn't make sense for the direction EDM is moving.

Even that aside, how does adding Rod make this a 100 point team? The D is terrible (I told ya all, hehehe), not so much the forwards

Agreed, though O'Neil would look good in an Oiler uniform.
Smyth-O'Neil-Hemsky
Chimera-York-Isbister
Moreau-Reasoner-Dvorak
Torres-Horcoff-Laraque

O'Neil is a natural goal scorer that would net 40-50 on that line. Dvo has been our best player so far and does not even have a goal,the third line could easily be our second, when Dvo scores,it's in bunches.This line would be physical, good defensively and pot a few goals.

Didn't MacT say this team was going to be more defensively responsible back in training camp, and try to return to a low goal against like 2 yrs ago??????????????

Closed Thread