HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

COL/MTL: Theodore for Aebischer

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Cruiser008

vCash: 500
Theodore IS a former Hart recipient. That said nothing about his play lately indicates he will return to MVP form. Maybe Lacroix is taking a big gamble that could pay off down the road (or blow up in his face)?

Old
03-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe
For all those who think it's Roy part 2:

Roy one if not greatest ever
Roy had one bad game, not 2 BAD seasons

People comparing Roy and Theo, pretty funny
Two bad seasons? The only reason the Habs made it to the second round last year was because of Theodore. He stoned the Bruins for the second time in three years.

If Theodore regains his form, this will be a great trade for the Avs. It's already a good deal for the Habs because of the cap space cleared.

Old
03-08-2006, 07:12 PM
emb24*

wow. As a habfan i can assure you no one in montreal, saw this coming. Gainey is so tight lipped he doesn't even tell himself things. First off - they wanted to get jose out of mtl with all his bad luck and fmaily problems, secondly cap sapce. i am certain habs are not done dealing. secondly it has been clear christobal has been tired as a number one, so they'll share the load. habs are also goalie RICH with danis, halak, price, huet, aebischer, etc...

thsi is a shock, makes me think jose asked for it, and is maybe not injured

but you know what? if he regains his form avs fans will be ecstatic...
it wasn't going to happen in montreal.
but please stop the roy analogies...roy had already won 2 stanley cups..theo is not on the smae planet even though he has a hart trophy

Old
03-08-2006, 07:12 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe
For all those who think it's Roy part 2:

Roy one if not greatest ever
Roy had one bad game, not 2 BAD seasons

People comparing Roy and Theo, pretty funny
Yeah, I remember Roy having a lot more hair..

Not to mention he is 10 times the better goalie than Theodore.

Old
03-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

WOOOOHOOOOO
Good luck Colorado

Old
03-08-2006, 07:18 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Montreal will save $3.4 Million in Cap room next year, Gainey is slowly building his team with flexability.

I would suspect he will use that money plus a little more to land a top 4 Dman off the free agent list this year.

Of course their are risks to both teams

Can Theo regain his form, if so, very crafty move by PL AGAIN!!!

Can Huet keep his form, if not Abeshier will be a very capable replacement.

The Habs goaltender pipeline is very well stocked with Danis, Price and Halak to start. Could Gainey be packaging Abeshier for a Dman or a power forward?

GOTTA LOVE THE DRAMA!

Old
03-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Artyukhin*

lolol

theo fooled alot of people with a few good seasons

patrick roy was the real deal and he proved it .

theo is 30 yrs old and still trying to prove it .

have fun with bresbois theo

this wont be roy part 2 trust me theo = jocelyn thibault

thanks for abby at 1.6 million it free us of our over paid former love child

6 million a season in 2008

bye theo thanks for the memories

i also say the habs will get some else beside abby stay tuned

Old
03-08-2006, 07:20 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Wow, didn't see that coming. I expect Theodore to be very good with the Avs, too bad he just fell apart this year, really don't know what happened. For the Habs they save a ton of cash. Theo is under contract for 2 more years at 5.5 and 6M, so they don't have to pay that 11.5M.

As for why Aebischer, I guess Gainey didn't think Theodore would rebound to be worth the huge money he makes. Huet is a UFA, as is Danis, so Abby gives us another option.

wow.

Old
03-08-2006, 07:21 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I agree with everyone. This trade came out of nowhere, and is very stupid from Colorado's side. VERY stupid. Maybe Lacroix has a bigger plan, but man Colorado got ripped in my opinion.

Old
03-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
Two bad seasons? The only reason the Habs made it to the second round last year was because of Theodore. He stoned the Bruins for the second time in three years.

If Theodore regains his form, this will be a great trade for the Avs. It's already a good deal for the Habs because of the cap space cleared.

Come on.. Boston shouldn't even have been in that series if it wasn't for Theo's generosity in the early games.

Old
03-08-2006, 07:22 PM
LastChancePrice

Hmmm Luongo a Habs next season??

Old
03-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Pierre, down that road lies madness.

Old
03-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHfan4ever
Hmmm Luongo a Habs next season??
How about Aesbischer and Huet for next season.....

Old
03-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Wow, didn't see that coming. I expect Theodore to be very good with the Avs, too bad he just fell apart this year, really don't know what happened. For the Habs they save a ton of cash. Theo is under contract for 2 more years at 5.5 and 6M, so they don't have to pay that 11.5M.

As for why Aebischer, I guess Gainey didn't think Theodore would rebound to be worth the huge money he makes. Huet is a UFA, as is Danis, so Abby gives us another option.

wow.
are u sure there both ufa? i think they're both rfa.

Old
03-08-2006, 07:32 PM
God Bless Canada

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this trade. If it is an end, and not part of a grander trade (for both sides), it makes no sense.

Colorado trades a goalie who has played up to his 2003-04 level since Christmas. They get an injured goalie who is playing terrible. (Theodore dipped in 2002-03, but he looked like Roy in that year compared to what we've seen this year). When is Theodore going to be back? Is Colorado going with Budaj and Kolesnik for the next little while? Lacroix must have something up his sleeve.

Aebischer has been fine the last two months. Three months ago, this trade would have surprised nobody. It's amazing how much can change in this game in three months. Huet has been great all year. If this is an end trade, then what message does this send to Huet? And how happy will Aebischer be as a backup?

This deal generates more questions than answers. The only thing it does is get Theodore out of Montreal. It was a much needed split for both teams.

Old
03-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Chileiceman

This makes no sense from the Avs point of view. If we were out of the playoffs maybe, but we aren't so now we will have to go with either Budaj or Kolesnik until the playoffs start.
Plus Theodore is crap this season and Aebischer had a slow start but was really playing well lately

Old
03-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Habs fans are funny. A few seasons ago it would take quote "Tanguay, Morris, +" to get Theodore. Now, "Whoooo we got David Aebischer!!1111111111 WE SO FLEECED PL!!!"

This has to be the best case example of buy low sell high if no other players are involved in this deal.

Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

For those suggesting Theodore might be swung for Luongo:

Why would Keenan take Theodore's outrageous contract for 2 more years when he won't agree to pay Luongo the big money he wants?

Old
avsfan99

i know what it is.. PL like having no cap room thats what it is... who are we going to part ways with this offseason... svatos, liles, tangs, lappy????

Old
03-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Drury_Sakic

Any chance Avs had at cup = OVER

Old
03-08-2006, 07:41 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
I cant see PL being done with this yet and if he is may god have mercy on the avalanche PR department.

Old
03-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Hemsky4PM

Still no mention on the Canadiens website about the trade...a little suspicious if you ask me.

Old
03-08-2006, 07:42 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Habs fans are funny. A few seasons ago it would take quote "Tanguay, Morris, +" to get Theodore. Now, "Whoooo we got David Aebischer!!1111111111 WE SO FLEECED PL!!!"

This has to be the best case example of buy low sell high if no other players are involved in this deal.

This isn't rocket science. A few years ago, Theodore was worth a massive amount more than he is today (in a sal-cap world, and after playing like a seive).

Old
03-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
The Habs might not have anything up because of the rumors about trying to move Aebischer. If they think they have a deal with another team, they may be waiting to see if they can pull that off before announcing who they've acquired.

But it's been confirmed by Lacroix. It's legit. Still mind-boggling, but legit.

Old
03-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch

im assuming you are implying buy high, sell low for montreal. if thats the case im gonna disagree...here's why:

while Theo has been crap all season, as you can see there is still hope among other GMs that he could regain his form...
what happens when he comes back from injury and is the same ole' game-killing, swiss cheese Theo? (not saying that will happen but at this point its 50-50)
that happens and we then have a 6 million dollar (apparent cap hit) AHL goalie and 2 more years of him to boot. Getting rid of him now at the worst, frees us of cap space and gets Theo out of our minds, at the best Aebischer flourishes, Theo tanks and Gainey wins on all accounts.

To me this seems like a shrewd business decision that shouldn't hurt the habs in any way (Theo and Mtl were not working) and the gamble is entirely at the other end of the deal in COL

Closed Thread