HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Aebisher Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Aebisher Thread

lot of teams are looking for goaltender, could we package Aebisher in a bigger package to get something done??

do the rules allow players to be traded two consecutive dayS??

Thing is nobody wanted to touch theo but with smaller contract someone might bite if we are looking to make bigger deal!!

Last edited by montreal: 03-09-2006 at 08:51 AM.
Old
03-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Namso

of course, u can trade him 2 seconds after he gets traded to you. I bet he goes to VANCOUVER. Colorado would never trade with van, but they woudl with us.

HAHAHAHAHA bertuzzi is coming....

Old
03-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso
of course, u can trade him 2 seconds after he gets traded to you. I bet he goes to VANCOUVER. Colorado would never trade with van, but they woudl with us.

HAHAHAHAHA bertuzzi is coming....
hahaha, that'd be awesome

Old
03-08-2006, 07:09 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
bertuzzi a good idea?

I sure don't think so

Old
03-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe
bertuzzi a good idea?

I sure don't think so
Why not? People are always complaining about our "smurf" forwards...we get A LOT bigger in a hurry with Bertuzzi if you ask me.

Do I think Bertuzzi is an 80 point man? Nope. He doesn't have to be on our team. Just be a force out there and bang some bodies and score 20 and I'll be happy.

Cap

Old
03-08-2006, 07:29 PM
BiggMac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
lot of teams are looking for goaltender, could we package Aebisher in a bigger package to get something done??

do the rules allow players to be traded two consecutive dayS??

Thing is nobody wanted to touch theo but with smaller contract someone might bite if we are looking to make bigger deal!!
Bonk was traded to LA et Montreal the same day...

Old
03-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Artyukhin*

to me im excited either way
i like Aebisher he is a very capable goalie for the $$$$ .
were free of the 5 million next season and 6 million the next rope around our neck called theodore!

if there another deal for Bert so be it . but what i love is not knowing what is ready to happen next. for a team supposdly sitting tight cause he like the team and theo was the franchise last month

gainey has made one hell of a big splash .. lets see where the water lands before 3 pm thrus

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old
03-08-2006, 07:40 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
Why not? People are always complaining about our "smurf" forwards...we get A LOT bigger in a hurry with Bertuzzi if you ask me.

Do I think Bertuzzi is an 80 point man? Nope. He doesn't have to be on our team. Just be a force out there and bang some bodies and score 20 and I'll be happy.

Cap
I sure don't care about a big body. He is almost over the hill, isn't doing anything like he did before

Old
03-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Theo's injury is the reason we only got Aebisher...

Renaud on RDS just said that it's been months now that Lacroix wanted to have Theo but Gainey was asking too much. It seems that with the injury, Gainey was not as demanding as he was before. Not sure what the injury has to do with anything since the only thing Lacroix has in mind with Jose is to have him ready to go for the playoffs, and he will be and he wants a good goalie for years to come.

Did Gainey waited too much??? I just hope that we will be able to have the best player in a trade before tomorrow or Gainey will simply have it....

Old
03-08-2006, 09:28 PM
jcpenny

Theyre also saying that Colorado stole José...

Old
03-08-2006, 09:29 PM
HABit

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake
Renaud on RDS just said that it's been months now that Lacroix wanted to have Theo but Gainey was asking too much. It seems that with the injury, Gainey was not as demanding as he was before. Not sure what the injury has to do with anything since the only thing Lacroix has in mind with Jose is to have him ready to go for the playoffs, and he will be and he wants a good goalie for years to come.

Did Gainey waited too much??? I just hope that we will be able to have the best player in a trade before tomorrow or Gainey will simply have it....

If it is true that Lacroix actually wanted Theo months ago then imo Gainey waited too long. However, hindsight is 20/20. I am happy with getting his contract out of Montreal and freeing up cap space, we could have got more, but whatever, it's done.

Old
03-08-2006, 09:32 PM
zecchi

I agree on the stealing part, in a way. I still wish there's a mysterious conditional pick hidden somewhere. Maybe if Theo is healthy enough to play in the playoffs, we could get a 3rd round pick, that would be great. But I doubt it.

I think that by taking less (Aebischer), he basically bought Jose's contract out. It's similar to the Raptors trading Jalen Rose multiyear contract for an almost equally paid, yet expiring contract (Antonio Davis), freeing cap space.

Old
03-08-2006, 09:37 PM
hockey_nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
Theyre also saying that Colorado stole José...

to be honest... i really don't know about this trade... ya, Theodore's having a bad year, but he had 33 wins last season... i just have a bad feeling about this deal even though it helps save us cash to spend in other areas, i just don't like it.

Old
03-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Long Sky

feeling bad

I'm not sure who said it but ive heard : "The team that gets the better player wins the trade"! Mtl should have gotten more. Theo wasn't getting paid while injured, and he doesn't get paid for the play-offs. So no money would be spent on him for the rest of the year. Mtl could have kept him for play-off insurance, and then traded him at the draft. He may have been worth more at the draft. To late now!!Comments.

Old
03-08-2006, 09:51 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

We didn't get anything else for Theo, because he was making too much money, and not performing like a Top goalie making that money should. We now have room to improve other areas of the team, thanks to Colorado. No way were they giving anything extra after taking on such a big salary. I'm happy with the trade. The future looks good.

Old
03-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
In a non-cap nhl. I would be about to break the entire house.

In a cap nhl... i just dont know. It's gonna really depend what we do with the cash. Maybe tomorrow, but this summer also.

I dont doubt Theodore will rebound eventually. Problem is the possibility of it happening elsewhere than Montreal is 10 times better. In a cap world, you can guess that much. Colorado have a way better chance than us to revive the guy hence --> might be worth the risk.

A decent pick somewhere would have help me to swallow idea of looking at a revive Theodore elsewhere but well... There are no questions in my mind. The best player just leave Montreal, but the Cap really makes this kind of analyze impossible.

On a side note: the habs chances at the playoffs improved imo. I'm happy Danis will see more time in Hamilton and return to this currently hot team. Aebisher-Huet will be a good duo with the crazy number of games until the end.

Old
03-08-2006, 09:59 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Sky
I'm not sure who said it but ive heard : "The team that gets the better player wins the trade"! Mtl should have gotten more. Theo wasn't getting paid while injured, and he doesn't get paid for the play-offs. So no money would be spent on him for the rest of the year. Mtl could have kept him for play-off insurance, and then traded him at the draft. He may have been worth more at the draft. To late now!!Comments.
You shouldnt look at it this way. Habs saved 3.5 mill on a goalie who was injured and was playing poorly. He was scheduled to come back at the end of the month. So if Huet woul have brought this team to the playoffs while theo was injured, Théo would have hit the bench. So no matter what Théo was useless to the Habs. Now with 3.5 mill cap space, add a Zednik and/or a Ribeiro and you can get an impact player.

Old
03-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
This has the potential to play out well for the short and long term. Having Aebischer for the stretch run might be the difference between making and missing the playoffs this year, which represents millions of dollars to Gillett and credibility with the fans. From that point of view, the team got better without giving anything off its recent winning roster.

In the long term, it doesn't really matter what he does in Colorado. He was finished here. He was a 5 million dollar liability whose teammates had given up on him. Also, his coming back for the playoffs would have been a major distraction to the team. The media here loves goaltender controversy.

It's really not a case of Gainey having waited too long. Theodore obviously wasn't worth anything more before, even though Gainey was looking to trade him. Now the Habs get their veteran goalie presence to support Huet and a ton of cap space for tomorrow and the next two years. Even if Aebischer is worthless, it was addition by subtraction on several levels.

Short of keeping him in the hopes of him returning to form, there was no better move to make. And I think Gainey didn't want to keep him around any longer because he didn't like the chemistry he brought. I'll never forget the look on Gainey's face in the last Carolina blowout -- pure disgust as he shook his head, from a man who never shows anything.

Old
03-08-2006, 10:10 PM
HABit

Quote:
Where did you get this from? Theodore still gets paid and it counts against the cap. Only the salary of a REPLACEMENT player would not count against the cap.

Old
03-08-2006, 10:15 PM
kas

That's the reality of the new salary-capped NHL. Every year, there will be at least a few top notch FA's. Because of this spending limit, any team can only afford a few of these guys at one time. To be a top team, it is crucial that the top paid players on your team produce, as the rest of the team will be either aging vets, yound prospects, or played with limited pure skill (scoring or goaltending). If you do ever make a mistake, undoing it and giving yourself a new shot at a top player is the only way to right the ship. BG made a mistake signing Theo to such a big contract. He realized it, and was able to free up cap space for the future. Don't think of this deal as Theo for Aebischer - think of it as Theo for Aebischer and whatever FA we sign this summer. That's the real beauty of this trade. It frees up the money so that we can add salary either tomorrow or in the summer.

Old
03-08-2006, 10:15 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

I'm thinking at some point the braintrust sat down and evaluated Theo's importance to the team long term. It might have even been so much as to ask Rollie if Theo was so far off his game that he may never recover. We all know that if he had played before the Olympic break in Montreal he would have been booed mercilessly after his first bad goal. He was horrible this season and not the best player in the trade at this moment. Next year he might rebound, but if the Habs are looking for a UFA keeper after next season there's probably going to be someone available *koff* Luongo.

Old
03-08-2006, 10:16 PM
RC51

Stop thinking Theo will rebound and the Habs lost on this deal.
Theo was NOT rebounding here. 5million and nada big saves.
Julien lost his job over Theo and a few things.
If Theo does rebound for the AV'S good for them.
The bottom line for the Habs is, the salerie dump and the new cap space. Are the Habs better right now , well the answer is yes. Will Gainey spend the extra cap money to plug some BIG holes the Habs do still have, well the answer again in YES.
Thier are and will be many players Gainey can now plug the holes with for the 2007 season at worst.
Did the Habs get enough, well Gainey has a good chance to make this entire deal work in favour of the Habs, while Lacroix is betting the farm on Theo.
Lacroix now saying he has aquired a top goalie and for years to come, well that's a very selfserving statement. If Lacroix bet right, then Theo will help the AV'S.
I must remind people the Theo was not a Vezina goalie for the last 3 years not just this year. It's a real gamble for Lacroix IMO.

Old
03-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Raider917

vCash: 50
this deal hasnt sunk in yet. theres no way in the world i wouldve done this deal if i was the Colorado GM. this one can be an awful pain in the butt in 2 years if Theodore doesnt improve drastically.

Old
03-08-2006, 10:23 PM
deandebean

In order to get back to his 2002 form, Theo will have to undergo a complete technical overhaul. I don't believe he'll do it.

Old
03-08-2006, 10:28 PM
LastChancePrice

Here did we got screwd exactly??

Theodore :NHL Totals: 353 20,052 141 158 30 876 9,833 23 2.62 .911 losing record

Aebischer :NHL Totals: 173 9,925 88 58 12 390 4,581 13 2.36 .915 winning record

playoff record:

Theodore : 28 1,651 11 15 0 70 889 1 2.54 .921 , losing record.

Aebischer:13 696 6 5 0 24 309 1 2.07 .922 , winning record.

Explain me where we got screwd.YES aebisher got a bad start this season, but HE was able to adjust himself with the new rules, and finally deliver some good numbers.....Theodore on the other hand..continue to slip...slip...

i think we screwd Colorado PLUS we saved 2.6 million this season only

Last edited by LastChancePrice: 03-08-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Closed Thread