Notices

Call Ups

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2006, 01:32 AM
sushinsky4tsar

vCash: 500
Call Ups

Assuming the Wild move a forward and a d-man (say Dupuis & Kuba) by noon tomorrow, who are the callups?

At D, Burns & Henry are finally set in stone again, along with Mitchell, Schultz, Tjarnqvist, Zyuzin and Foster for 7, so I'm assuming both players would be forwards since they are the most ready.

In a perfect world, I would say Westrum & O'Sullivan. I definitely want to at least see what Westrum can do in the NHL before we lose him (& Michalek) in the offseason for nothing. Kirby Law is definitely deserving, but he doesn't have any kind of a future with this team, so I'd rather see what O'Sullivan can do. But I get the sense that more than likely it would be Law and Westrum. I assume this is because we don't want to get the clock rolling on O'Sullivan's free agency eligibility with so few games remaining.

But if that's the case, then why are we calling up Josh Harding to warm the bench and play maybe 5 games at the most? I'm definitely looking forward to finally seeing him in a Wild uni for the rest of the year. And he should be here, but not at the expense of forcing our hand into making a trade Manny or Harding decision a whole year earlier.

Am I missing something? I really don't like this rule (as I understand it). There should be an end of the year call up exemption.

Old
03-09-2006, 01:36 AM
TeamSeals

I think Henry will be sticking with his forward duties for now (I actually like him as a fourth line wing, but not as a D man) so I think it would be a one & one. Since Westrum hasn't gotten a call up yet he probably wont ever get one, so I think it would be O'Sullivan and Fergusen(he will clear waivers again)

Old
03-09-2006, 02:03 AM
sushinsky4tsar

I thought I saw some blurb in the paper where Risebrough hinted that the vets (Westrum/Law) might deserve a look. Man alive, I am chomping at the bit to see O'Sullivan play though.

If a D comes up, who are we talking? Reitz? Stoner?

Old
03-09-2006, 02:05 AM
vitogor

Is the call-up waiver thing still in effect after the deadline?

Old
03-09-2006, 03:46 AM
Scott Dillon

I am with TeamSeals on the possibility of O'Sullivan being called up much more likely than either Westrum or Law. Remember that when Risebrough was quoted as saying he would be more likely to bring up the vets, the Wild had a much better shot at that eight seed than they do right now, so the likelihood of us developing our younger guys, like Harding and O'Sullivan, sort of push to the forefront. I could be wrong about this, but Westrum and Law have been leading the AHL in scoring for a majority of the year, and if they haven't been called up yet, it's very doubtful that they will. It will also be interesting to see whether the Wild send anyone down to Houston before Monday, when the AHL rosters will solidify at 22 for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:01 AM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Dillon
I am with TeamSeals on the possibility of O'Sullivan being called up much more likely than either Westrum or Law. Remember that when Risebrough was quoted as saying he would be more likely to bring up the vets, the Wild had a much better shot at that eight seed than they do right now, so the likelihood of us developing our younger guys, like Harding and O'Sullivan, sort of push to the forefront.
Well said. One thing that does worry me is if O' is brought up, how that affects his contractual status and years of service in conjunction with the CBA and when he could hit free agency. I know, a ways off, but if a handful of games is gonna count as a year, might be better to wait.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:32 AM
Scott Dillon

I am definitely with you on that one, this kid's going to be a stud, and I don't want to already be worrying about his contract situation. Maybe the experience with Gabs has scarred me for life on that issue...

Old
03-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
I'd bring up Law beause his name in Kirrrrrrrbbbbbeeeeeeeee.

Him and Westy deserve the shot - they've been unreal.

Closed Thread