HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I must vent at my fellow Hab fans

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2006, 01:24 AM
LesHabsRock

vCash: 500
I must vent at my fellow Hab fans

Come on guys. This was NOT a panic move. This was very calculated. Gainey has free'd up cap space to make another deal for either a forward or dman. Theo has comparable stats to Aebischer the last 3 years anyways. Sure, you can say Aebischer had a good team infront of him, but this year the Avs are NOT the powerhouse they used to be. And, please don't compare this deal to the Patrick Roy deal. First of all the Roy deal was a panic/desperation move. Secondly, Theo is NOT Patrick Roy. Get that through your skulls. Patrick Roy was consistently good and that one year he didn't have the right players infront of him or the right coach. You just knew Patrick would pick up his play. Theo has been consistently bad or hot/cold for 3 years now. Ontop of all that Colorado won't even see him play until the playoffs or next year depending on his conditioning after returning from injury.

Now, we have a solid one-two punch in nets for peanuts. I'm not worried one bit. Maybe Gainey goes after Jokinen or pulls some other rabbit out of his hat like, say, I dunno, Alex Tanguay

Old
03-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

This wasn't a panic move at all. Gainey has just shown everyone he has the ability to see when he makes mistakes and correct them accordingly. This is a good thing to me.

We have more reliable goaltending. Less lows, less highs. Which is perfect for a young team still developping under 25 years old players.

Theodore wasn't going to win the cup here no matter the kind of roster we would have iced. He's never shown the ability to take his game to another lvl in the playoffs for us.

I couldn't be any happier.

EDIT :
Lacroix has been overrated for quite some time thanks to what probably is the best scouting staff in the league. Because of that, Lacroix has always had TONS of assets to give for playoffs help. Kuddos to him for not being afraid to wheel and deal over the years and some timely acquisitions off the back of stupid GMs have helped his cause a lot. But the avs have been going nowhere ever since Roy left and won't for quite some time. Theodore is not the answer, he can't fill Roy's shoes and the avs are a much worse team than they were when Roy was there.

Old
03-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

But still, the thing is that we only get Abiesher while we could probably have had more for Theo...

Minnessota had a 1st for Roloson...and he's a UFA.

I can't beleive we didn't received a pick in this deal...IMO, we could have made the same thing as the Zednik trade(our second rounder for their first rounder)...

It wasn't a panic move, I can agree with this and yeah, maybe we will get something good with the extra money but damn, we only get another goaltender...

Old
03-09-2006, 01:56 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
But still, the thing is that we only get Abiesher while we could probably have had more for Theo...

I can't beleive we didn't received a pick in this deal...IMO, we could have made the same thing as the Zednik trade(our second rounder for their first rounder)...

It wasn't a panic move, I can agree with this and yeah, maybe we will get something good with the extra money but damn, we only get another goaltender...
Theo's contract makes it a lot harder to get something, though.

Old
03-09-2006, 01:59 AM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:

Some people are just impossible to please...

Old
03-09-2006, 02:00 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
This wasn't a panic move at all. Gainey has just shown everyone he has the ability to see when he makes mistakes and correct them accordingly. This is a good thing to me.

We have more reliable goaltending. Less lows, less highs. Which is perfect for a young team still developping under 25 years old players.

Theodore wasn't going to win the cup here no matter the kind of roster we would have iced. He's never shown the ability to take his game to another lvl in the playoffs for us.

EDIT :
Lacroix has been overrated for quite some time thanks to what probably is the best scouting staff in the league. Because of that, Lacroix has always had TONS of assets to give for playoffs help. Kuddos to him for not being afraid to wheel and deal over the years and some timely acquisitions off the back of stupid GMs have helped his cause a lot. But the avs have been going nowhere ever since Roy left and won't for quite some time. Theodore is not the answer, he can't fill Roy's shoes and the avs are a much worse team than they were when Roy was there.
Read my post again. I said this WASN'T A PANIC MOVE. You're basically echoing my point.

Old
03-09-2006, 02:03 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:

Who's been the better goaltender over the last 3 years (using the goaltenders involved in this deal)? Theodore? Nope. Theodore has averaged .902 SV% over the last three years and a 2.87 GAA. Aebischer? .913 SV% over the last 3 years and a 2.50 GAA.

So, you tell me, if you're any other GM, would you consider giving up more for Theo? And to top it off Theo is injured.

Old
03-09-2006, 02:14 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock
Read my post again. I said this WASN'T A PANIC MOVE. You're basically echoing my point.
I know, is there something wrong with that ?

EDIT :

Maybe I should have added "I agree" at the very beginning of my post to make sure there would be no confusion.

Old
03-09-2006, 02:14 AM
Marksman

You cannot compare Roloson and Theodore trade value. Roloson is on cheap contract, that expires after this season, which makes him perfect short term fix. If the player is healthy, age is not an issue for team looking rental help. Roloson has been able to take his team to conference finals, Theo hasnt gotten us past 2nd (even if it hasnt been all his fault). Roloson healthy, can step in RIGHT now, Avs wont have any idea until just before playoffs (huge gamble for them).

I personally think getting to trade Theodore along with his heavy contract for good asset is *better* deal than Minnesota getting 20+th overall pick... considering the new salary capped world. Especially if Gainey can turn Aebischer for something more useful for the team.

Old
03-09-2006, 02:15 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
I know, is there something wrong with that ?
Just checking

Old
03-09-2006, 05:57 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:

I'd take Abbei over an Edmonton first in this years draft any day. Odds are that the pick wouldnt pan out into anything amazing. On top of that, our prospect pool has enough marginal prospects in it, we dont need any more.
Here we get a proven NHL starter who happens to be an RFA and cheap.
Aebeisher in a very capable goalie. Not to say that he,ll be one of our greats but I'd put him in the same category as a Hackett.

Man...1rst rounders seem to be the most valuable thing in the hockey world on this board

Old
03-09-2006, 06:07 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
You'd think for fans of the Montreal Canadiens, people might understand things a little better. We only got Aebischer? Have you people not heard of a thing called the salary cap? And is Theodore really that much better then Aebischer?

Watching all the anaylists talk last night and pretty much every single one of them said it was a great trade by Gainey. They understand this isn't the old NHL anymore and I think a lot of fans here are stuck in a timewrap. It's a HUGE gamble by Colorado and a safe move by the Habs.

Old
03-09-2006, 06:24 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Oh and let me add one more thing...

Gainey > all of you.

Old
03-09-2006, 06:25 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
Oh and let me add one more thing...

Gainey > all of you.

Hail NB!!!

Old
03-09-2006, 07:35 AM
Turbo

I like this board. Good level-headed posts that think deeper than those reactionary RDS analysts calling this a panic move (*cough* Flynn *cough*). Kudos to E = CH², mjb45, Marksman2, Lordchezz, Tuggy and LesHabsRock (humm, shouldn't you be on vacation for your Bill Guerin antics? ). You all echo my sentiments about this trade.

Theo's time in Montreal was over and his huge salary had to go to clear up some cap space. Don't get me wrong, I wish Theo well and am happy the Habs should only see him 2x every 3 years! Aebischer is an excellent return given the circumstances (Theo's poor play this year, his off-ice antics, his salary, his inconsistencies since the Hart/Vezina). It's also clear that Gainey had lost confidence in Theo. Let's not forget his performances are agruably the main contributor for the major slump and Julien being fired (let it be known meanwhile that I have no regrets and am quite happy with current coaching).

Aebischer can also help immediately. Huet/Aebischer tandem is more than excellent for the final stretch. Although at the moment I still consider Huet the #1 (have we already forgotten what he can do???). This is good for the Habs.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Habsaku

WHat interests me the most is seeing what Rollie can do with Aebischer. Apperently, he's a big reason for Huet, Garon, Danis and Theo 2002. Aebischer is really underrated here, he was one of the best goaltenders the last month, he's got a lot of talent. I like the fact we have about 2.5M on our goalies, thats the price I'd like us to maintain.

Also, I'd like to note something important, the guy is 6'1", its always reassuring to have a goaltender that doestn look like a midget in nets.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:12 AM
davey999

Quote:

EDIT :
This is pretty typical for you. Anything the habs do is great.

If you think they are going to make a big splash on another today (or in the summer for that matter) because they have more money, you are delusional.

First priority with this team is the bottom line.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:17 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey999

If you think they are going to make a big splash on another today (or in the summer for that matter) because they have more money, you are delusional.

I just traded you to the Avs. Now...go.

This is me since the trade.

Gainey.

I was so resigned to having this fat contract hold this team back for the next 2 years. But we are now FREE!!!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Old
03-09-2006, 08:20 AM
AD

I still can't believe we actually got a Gm to take on that horrible contract.

I was dancing in the streets when I heard... Literally dancing in the streets (my friend called me on my cell, and I was on St-Cat and Peel, and just started dancing).

And I ed this by saying: I really liked Theo. I believe Theo is a top 10 in this league. I just think that if you're gonna build a winning team, you can't pay a top 10 goale 5,33 million. That number is reserved for a top 3-5 goalie.

Can't wait to see how Gainey is gonna use those 3 million now or in the offseason.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:21 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
I just traded you to the Avs. Now...go.

This is me since the trade.

Gainey.

I was so resigned to having this fat contract hold this team back for the next 2 years. But we are now FREE!!!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Gainey

Me

You echo my sentiments exactly ZNK

Old
03-09-2006, 08:22 AM
habfan4

Quote:

That would explain the contracts for Koivu, Kovalev, Dandenault and the $16 million dollar contract that the Habs and Theodore inked. The Habs are such frigging cheapskates

Old
03-09-2006, 08:33 AM
davey999

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
That would explain the contracts for Koivu, Kovalev, Dandenault and the $16 million dollar contract that the Habs and Theodore inked. The Habs are such frigging cheapskates
truth hurts, eh?

I see teams like Toronto, NY, DET, COL, PHI, DAL as teams that always do what they have to, to get players. Us? Not so much?

Old
03-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:

There is no way we were going to get anymore for Theo then what we got!!!!
1) Theo is washed up!!
2) He has a huge contract the wasn't very attractive to many teams
3) His play this year should have led him to the minors for life
Considering all that, we got a great goalie in return for Theo that can work well with Huet, we freed up some money for another big name player, perhaps a big solid winger or a d-man.
This was a very smart, well thought out move by Mr Gainey, and he's not done yet!!!!

Old
03-09-2006, 08:37 AM
znk

Quote:
truth hurts, eh?

I see teams like Toronto, NY, DET, COL, PHI, DAL as teams that always do what they have to, to get players. Us? Not so much?

I think montreal just did exactly what they needed to do to get a quality player...either now...or this summer. I think you're confused. Also...Aebisher has been better then Theo in the last 2 seasons. Oh and wait.....I dont see Toronto above us in the standings.....and....have they won a stanley cup in the last what??? 50 years??

Old
03-09-2006, 08:37 AM
habfan4

Quote:
truth hurts, eh?

Did you sleep through the lock out??? There is a tiny clause in it called the "salary cap". The Rags and Detroit et al can no longer "do what they have to" (nice euphemism for throwing around gobs of money) to get players.

To suggest that the Habs have not be active in acquiring/retaining talent (such as it is) over the last year is absurd.

Closed Thread