HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mucklers hands are tied

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2006, 11:39 AM
lunadio

vCash: 500
Mucklers hands are tied

Seems Mucklers not gonna be able to make a move, teams are holding him up for too much knowing his need for a centreman .I feel bad for the team they do need to move there offense off the wings and into centre or there dead meat in playoffs .Every half decent team has learned how to handle Ottawa's offense now .If Mucks can't make a good move he will still try to patch it but i doubt it will work ,you can't put this all on a pickup even if hes a veteran .Im not saying Ottawa is not a spectacularly talented team there just to easy to shutdown .

Old
03-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadio
Seems Mucklers not gonna be able to make a move, teams are holding him up for too much knowing his need for a centreman .I feel bad for the team they do need to move there offense off the wings and into centre or there dead meat in playoffs .Every half decent team has learned how to handle Ottawa's offense now .If Mucks can't make a good move he will still try to patch it but i doubt it will work ,you can't put this all on a pickup even if hes a veteran .Im not saying Ottawa is not a spectacularly talented team there just to easy to shutdown .
are you shrooming? too easy to shut down? is that why we have scored 4 goals 35 times this season? Lets get real, no matter who is picked up today, we are still the most talented team at every position and have as good a shot as anyone to win it.

Old
03-09-2006, 11:47 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
teams are holding him up for too much knowing his need for a centreman.
... and then 2 O'clock rolls around and these GM's realise that their advantage is slipping away as they're about to lose their UFA's for nothing.

Old
03-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Alfie#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
are you shrooming? too easy to shut down? is that why we have scored 4 goals 35 times this season? Lets get real, no matter who is picked up today, we are still the most talented team at every position and have as good a shot as anyone to win it.
I agree, if this team is shutdown easily (again) - then it's the players fault and not Mucklers. Maybe we aren't that good/talented if that's the case.

With a healthy Hasek, this team is good enough to be one of the Cup favourites again. Another playoff failure means the Sens have to re-evaluate just how good they really are.

I'm getting to the point where, with another flameout, I'm thinking this team is overrated and maybe they aren't that good.

Old
03-09-2006, 12:16 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie#11
I'm getting to the point where, with another flameout, I'm thinking this team is overrated and maybe they aren't that good.
I think it's pretty tough to win the Stanley Cup, particularly when you're one of the youngest teams in the league.

There's always next year.

Old
03-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:

Ottawa is leading the league in goals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are likely the co-favorites on anyone's list to win the Cup with Detroit and Carolina. Another centre is a luxury not a necissity. We are not dead meat in the playoffs.

Old
03-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Golden Slumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
I think it's pretty tough to win the Stanley Cup, particularly when you're one of the youngest teams in the league.

Always always.

Hope springs eternal.

Old
03-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Alfie#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil

Maybe the fact that we are one of the youngest teams in the league is a problem?

It is tough to win the Cup. But this team has only made one real run despite being extremely talented for a long time. That suggests that a change in direction is needed.

If the team makes the Conference final, I won't be that upset. That's respectable. Going out in rounds one or two (again) - that's a problem.

Now finishing at the top of the standings almost every year means this team is good. There's no denying it. Players like Salo have flourished elsewhere. OTOH, lots of ex-Sens fail elsewhere. Guys like Bonk, Lalime, Dackell, Prusek who were important parts of this team (or guys like Prusek who some thought could be a starter) flop. Maybe they aren't that good. Maybe some the guys on our team who we think are good or potential stars aren't.

My basic thought is - if this team is so good, why do they go out in the playoffs so early? The answer to me is - maybe we do overrate them.

Of course, there's next year. But another early exit should mean next year is quite different than this year...and maybe a change in direction is needed.

Old
03-09-2006, 12:56 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Muckler now has only 2 hours to swing a deal.

No guts, no glory Muckler.

Old
03-09-2006, 01:00 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
It is tough to win the Cup. But this team has only made one real run despite being extremely talented for a long time. That suggests that a change in direction is needed.
Well, I see this team as a different incarnation of that previous one. Unfortunately, we may have to go through our growing pains all over again. We didn't have the luxury of having a veteran team given the cost.

Quote:
Guys like Bonk, Lalime, Dackell, Prusek who were important parts of this team (or guys like Prusek who some thought could be a starter) flop. Maybe they aren't that good. Maybe some the guys on our team who we think are good or potential stars aren't.
Well, we did choose to unload these guys as opposed to keeping them. Obviously they weren't performing to expectations otherwise they'd still be Senators. So, for them to flop elsewhere isn't very surprising. They were deemed expendable.

Quote:
Of course, there's next year. But another early exit should mean next year is quite different than this year...and maybe a change in direction is needed.
I'm not sure. I think you put a team together to get a good playoff position, and then go from there.

I'm not sure what a change in direction entails. But we're restricted by how much we can spend, and the age of our team. There's only so much you can do before you start impacting negatively on a team that has a pretty impressive regular season record.

I'd rather stay competitive for as long as possible until we hit the right circumstances to win the Cup.

Old
03-09-2006, 01:01 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Maybe the fact that we are one of the youngest teams in the league is a problem?

We already made a huge change in direction: In: Hasek, Heatley, Murray, Mezaros, Kelly, Eaves. Out: Martin, Bonk, White, Hossa, Lalime.

Let's wait until the playoffs until we give up on this season and start getting depressed about another playoff failure. I'm still predict a parade down Bank Street.

Old
03-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Lonnie Loach

If Muckler's hands are tied, it's because he tied them himself. The Sens, as an organization, went into training camp knowing that the second line center position was an issue - this is not a new need - yet the organization waited until the trade deadline when the Sens needs are patently obvious to all, and fellow GMs are holding the Sens up for randsom.

This is the same situation as the previous season, when it was obvious to all Sens fans by the midway point of the regular season that the Sens needed a goaltender, yet no move was made.

I place my faith in the sound management of John Muckler and his staff, and he deserves credit if everything works out. By the same token if this team flames out early again, and the blame can be attributed to a lack of a quality second line center, questions need to be asked.

Closed Thread