HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rivet played awful !

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2003, 03:20 AM
old scotia

vCash: 500
Rivet played awful !

Did you ever notice that Rivet will play good for awhile, then then he'll play bad. But when he plays bad he is just plain awful. Last night was one of those nights. He could not keep up.

Old
10-26-2003, 03:23 AM
SwedenRulez

vCash:
He play 1 game bad but at least, the 10 games after are good and in those 10 games, he plays 4 games very well.

Old
10-26-2003, 04:00 AM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by old scotia
Did you ever notice that Rivet will play good for awhile, then then he'll play bad. But when he plays bad he is just plain awful. Last night was one of those nights. He could not keep up.
...and he does a vicious crosscheck to someones face AFTER the whistle and only got a 2 minute penalty...it looked like he might have broke buddies nose too. back to the only 2 minute thing...guess where they were playing? if that was in a opponents building he likely would've got a five minute major for that

Old
10-26-2003, 04:19 AM
doc lafleur

I think we should have a scouting report on Rivet against Philly, he has been playing quite poorly so far this season imo. Quintal as been even worse.

Old
10-26-2003, 04:34 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Rivet has been very good so far this season...

Old
10-26-2003, 04:55 AM
Lewis63

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc lafleur
I think we should have a scouting report on Rivet against Philly, he has been playing quite poorly so far this season imo. Quintal as been even worse.

Quintal awfull??? what???? Quintal is +6 leading the team ond 7th in the league, while Rivet is a -2 the worst on the team...

And Qintal having 3 points already is pretty good.

Don't bash Quintal please, he's been really solid and always playing against the top lines

Old
10-26-2003, 04:56 AM
Garnet

Rivet

Rivet played terrible in the first game of the season and agian last night. At least three goals where his fault. I was really disappointed with his play!!

Old
10-26-2003, 04:59 AM
RE-HABS

Rivet did the cardinal sin last night as a Defenseman...he played the puck instead of the man and Shaffer made his look stupid and and made him pay even worse by getting the goal too.

I think Montreal got away from their game plan, plus it doesn't work so well on fast skating and talented teams like the Sens like it does on most.

Gainey is probably thinking he needs a go to Vet on this team, but who and what should he give up to attain such a prize?

Old
10-26-2003, 05:13 AM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Gainey is probably thinking he needs a go to Vet on this team, but who and what should he give up to attain such a prize?
Hopefully nobody. BG seems like he made it clear he was going to go with the youth, so why trade for a go-to vet when the team isn't close to contention, and would likely be slowing down when they become serious competitors.

Old
10-26-2003, 05:27 AM
Leprechaun

vCash:
Rivet at the Power Play ???

Please put someone else...He can't shift a cone !!!

Old
10-26-2003, 06:32 AM
plafleur10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun
Rivet at the Power Play ???

Please put someone else...He can't shift a cone !!!
I am also very surprised that rivet is getting an awful lot of PP time, actually more than Markov who is often ignored on the PP.Why?

Old
10-26-2003, 06:50 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
...and he does a vicious crosscheck to someones face AFTER the whistle and only got a 2 minute penalty...it looked like he might have broke buddies nose too. back to the only 2 minute thing...guess where they were playing? if that was in a opponents building he likely would've got a five minute major for that
Incorrect.

Rivet has crosschecked two others to the face after the whistle this season, once outside of Montreal (Domi on opening night in Toronto), and only received two minutes.

Nice try of making it seem like officiating is biased in Montreal, though. I know that's how you B's fans explain it.

Old
10-26-2003, 07:53 AM
doc lafleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis63
Quintal awfull??? what???? Quintal is +6 leading the team ond 7th in the league, while Rivet is a -2 the worst on the team...

And Qintal having 3 points already is pretty good.

Don't bash Quintal please, he's been really solid and always playing against the top lines
You must be watching the game on a different channel !!!

Old
10-26-2003, 08:04 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotic
Hopefully nobody. BG seems like he made it clear he was going to go with the youth, so why trade for a go-to vet when the team isn't close to contention, and would likely be slowing down when they become serious competitors.
Gainey didn't say he would make any changes or trades, he said he wouldn't mortgage the future for any players which is great and the smart thing to do.

But if we could lighten our load by dealing some vets and opening some spots for kids like Komisarek I would be all for it.

And getting a top 2 line forward isn't that bad, we aren't after a go to guy like Guerin but another guy to balance out some line depth thats all.

We have a lot of D that is tradeable and in the minors too like Dykhuis, we need to keep advancing with the youth movement there too, kids are sitting or going to the ECHL because of those two.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:15 AM
SpezNc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Gainey didn't say he would make any changes or trades, he said he wouldn't mortgage the future for any players which is great and the smart thing to do.

But if we could lighten our load by dealing some vets and opening some spots for kids like Komisarek I would be all for it.

And getting a top 2 line forward isn't that bad, we aren't after a go to guy like Guerin but another guy to balance out some line depth thats all.

We have a lot of D that is tradeable and in the minors too like Dykhuis, we need to keep advancing with the youth movement there too, kids are sitting or going to the ECHL because of those two.
Rivet didn't play more awful than any other habs...

One the Shaefer, i think (I may be wrong), Rivet did the rigth thing.. Shaefer was just too good on that play...

So far this year, except Hossa, i think that every habs are playing great hockey... even our 6-7 d-man and our 4th line...

Old
10-26-2003, 08:24 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezNc

One the Shaefer, i think (I may be wrong), Rivet did the rigth thing.. Shaefer was just too good on that play...

So far this year, except Hossa, i think that every habs are playing great hockey... even our 6-7 d-man and our 4th line...

1. Not a chance Rivet played the Schaefer goal right. Rivet backed up way too much and gave Schaefer too much room. He had plenty of support around so there's no reason why he should have played Schaefer as though he was intimidated. Rivet needed to stop skating backwards, step up and play the body; Markov was ready to clear the puck out of the danger zone. This is basic defense that Rivet failed to deliver upon.

2. Rivet was directly responsible for at least 3-4 other scoring chances and a goal. Throughout the night he was consistently outmuscled in the crease, and that's when Rivet bothered to try and deliver punishment to anyone sitting in the crease.

3. Hossa's becoming one of the better Habs, night in, night out. People seem to be blinded when it comes to Hossa. He goes to the net, digs pucks up along the boards, and does much of the dirty work for that line. Very strong off the forecheck which have resulted in turnovers, and strong on the backcheck as well as on faceoffs. The little things he does well, and apparently they go unnoticed around here.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:28 AM
Guriken

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezNc

On this play, Rivet didn't play the man, neither the puck or the stick, he was just skating backward and swinging his stick without watching were he was swinging... and he hit the guy just after the shot...

I think the senators were too fast for our defense.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:31 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
Well, if you've ever noticed, Rivet hardly ever takes the body unless the guy is smaller then himself. He most of the time just hits with his stick, slashes, or bodychecks with his stick.
Off topic: Who's Yury Grigorenko?

Old
10-26-2003, 08:39 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guriken
I think the senators were too fast for our defense.
I disagree. Souray is very immobile and has well below average speed. Only Quintal has less mobility and speed on the Canadiens. Yet Souray looked good last night.

I think it was more of a question of forwards not playing the system, not setting up enough obstruction in the neutral zone, which resulted in Ottawa forwards crossing the Hab blueline with speed. No matter how fast or mobile you are as a defenseman, you can't keep up with a forward skating at full speed.

The first goal hurt the Habs a lot in my opinion. That was Hossa deking out Bulis and Dackell, both played the puck rather than the man and failed to even slow him down, then Juneau lackadaisically skated back to the Habs zone, didn't cover his man (Varada), and a garbage goal was scored against Montreal's supposed defensive line.

I thought all three forwards looked very poor on that play, and Quintal didn't get in position to block the pass to Varada.

Old
10-26-2003, 09:01 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Dead wrong, Souray actually is pretty mobile, alot more so then most people think, he even won the fastest skater around the rink this year with like 14.something seconds.
Hah!

What the heck does a fastest skater competition have to do with mobility or even game speed? Absolutely nothing. Brashear has won a few fastest skater competitions. Are you going to try to tell me that he's fast, too? It's always amusing when people cite 'fastest skater' competitions to prove a player's fast. That has nothing to do with speed within a game.

Souray's not quick. He's not mobile. He's admitted as much himself, when asked to comment on his numerous crosschecking and slashing penalties when he first came to Montreal. He's (in)famous when it comes to using his stick to obstruct with opposing forwards that are skating to the outside on him.

Souray's fairly smart and can compensate for his lack of speed using either obstruction or staying deep enough to stop opposition from driving to the net once they reach the goal line, but make no mistake that he has a severe lack of mobility.

Old
10-26-2003, 12:37 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
[QUOTE=Mike8]Hah!

What the heck does a fastest skater competition have to do with mobility or even game speed? Absolutely nothing. Brashear has won a few fastest skater competitions. Are you going to try to tell me that he's fast, too? It's always amusing when people cite 'fastest skater' competitions to prove a player's fast. That has nothing to do with speed within a game.

I got to agree with you here.....take Fata as an example also

Old
10-26-2003, 12:39 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Igor Grigorenko's younger brother.
hey, change your avator again ...from the clown to this....cant wait whats next :p

Old
10-26-2003, 02:06 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
1. Not a chance Rivet played the Schaefer goal right. Rivet backed up way too much and gave Schaefer too much room. He had plenty of support around so there's no reason why he should have played Schaefer as though he was intimidated. Rivet needed to stop skating backwards, step up and play the body; Markov was ready to clear the puck out of the danger zone. This is basic defense that Rivet failed to deliver upon.

2. Rivet was directly responsible for at least 3-4 other scoring chances and a goal. Throughout the night he was consistently outmuscled in the crease, and that's when Rivet bothered to try and deliver punishment to anyone sitting in the crease.

3. Hossa's becoming one of the better Habs, night in, night out. People seem to be blinded when it comes to Hossa. He goes to the net, digs pucks up along the boards, and does much of the dirty work for that line. Very strong off the forecheck which have resulted in turnovers, and strong on the backcheck as well as on faceoffs. The little things he does well, and apparently they go unnoticed around here.

Well said Mike.

Old
10-26-2003, 02:16 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8

True.

True.

Too many people expect hims to be his brother because he scored in bunches on call ups, well he isn't his brother. But he is a very good player and plays well, he will only get better and the goals will comes...look how long it took Zed, patience is the key with the kids.

Closed Thread