HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks after Bryan Berard?

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2003, 08:12 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
I'm in the camp that's saying it makes no sense to sign Berard.

The only thing I can see is if the Canucks have a deal in place to move Sopel (he's the only one that will move in such a situation - you don't sign Berard to be a #6/7 dman, where Allen and Slegr are perfect for that role, considering their salary (Slegr) and age (Allen)... Malik and Salo are playing too well to move)

but it doesn't make much sense to flip Sopel for Berard either... Sopel makes a third of what it would cost to get Berard, and he already has chemistry with Ohlund - at least in Crow's eyes, which is all that matters... he's also 1 of only 2 right hand shots left on our blueline, another area where Crow seems to care about.

I like the 7-man unit we have now... I see no reason to change that. Unless we're getting a sure-fire 2nd line winger for Sopel, which I don't see happening, and King has been doing a good job there.

Old
10-27-2003, 08:18 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtra
Umberger + Sopel + Cloutier + 2nd 2005 to washington for Kolzig

though we add about 3 million dollars we would then be considered a cup fav.

plus i think that Ollie wouldn't mind coming closer to Vancouver Island (where his parents live i belive)

Then if we wanted to risk it we could deal Hedberg and something to Colorado for Abbeshier and Tanguay
Kolzig makes $6mill a year... no way are we going to add that kind of a salary to our payroll... look what problems Calgary is having with Turek's contract?? even though Kolzig is a better goalie, he's making $2mill more, and he's had his share of slumps as well (like right now)... that's too huge a risk IMO.

also, why would the Avs deal Aesbisher and Tanguay for Hedberg (a UFA after this year)?? Hedberg's value is likely less than Aebisher's alone, forget Tanguay, who's probably worth three or four times more!

Hedberg really has no value right now... and there are several teams that have an extra goalie they'd deal for less... why deal Aebisher and Tanguay for Hedberg, when you could have Burke for less??

I don't see us changing our tandem at all this season... Cloutier's challenge is the playoffs, and he will be here to see if he can take that step in the playoffs... next season a lot can change, but right now, we have Clout's for the playoffs, and a very capable backup in Hedberg if Clout's can't carry the playoff load.

Old
10-27-2003, 09:17 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Take it for what it's worth...McKeechie just had someone on his show that said there is *zero* truth to the rumour.

Old
10-27-2003, 01:09 PM
deathbear

after stating my love for bure in the other thread, which wasnt exacting a popular move, i will now say that byran berard is my second favourite hockey player.

in his first year, i got his ny islanders jersey for christmas. its really nice. i used to be a fan of the islanders, until i just gave up on them. mostly because of the way they traded their young talent. btw, how the hell does milburry keep his job???

what im trying to get at is, id love to see berard in a canuck jersey.

Old
10-27-2003, 01:09 PM
StilesBC

Add me to the camp not supporting this move. Unless we can flip Sopel and Umberger for an impact player such as Daze, Doan or Carter there is no reason to add Berard. I think that Sopel is doing a fine job and I don't see any reason to give up on a 26 year old d-man. Just because a few uneducated fans can only see the mistakes he makes should not make him trade bait. Give him another 3 years and he will be a top defenseman in this league. I'm willing to ride out a few bad plays to wait for that. Remember Jovo 4 years ago? Giveaways galore, and now he is god. Sopel doesn't have the same potential, but I want him on my team. He's a +2 so far this year and that was his only downfall last year. Let's go with the team we have to the trade deadline and make a deal then if we need to replace King with someone with more experience...

Old
10-31-2003, 10:07 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

well, it's official, he's not with us

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...1-berard_x.htm

Old
10-31-2003, 10:25 AM
Thalia

Quote: