HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winter handcuffing Lowe?

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2003, 04:34 AM
Yanner39

vCash: 500
Winter handcuffing Lowe?

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sport...C-4825DC7D0514

So Comrie won't play for Edmonton. It's been made public. That means Lowe has to trade him. Doesn't that lower Lowe's trading power. Winter should shut his cake hole.

Old
10-26-2003, 04:36 AM
Yanner39

According to Winter, a few teams are aggressive in getting Comrie. Makes you wonder what Lowe has been turning down.

Old
10-26-2003, 04:45 AM
Oilhitch

I have read that what Comrie "was" asking was around the 1.8M range. Is this untrue??? From what I understood from the article is that the "The differences between the two sides is great". Methinks he must be asking for alot more money than has been publicly speculated???

Old
10-26-2003, 04:48 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
According to Winter, a few teams are aggressive in getting Comrie. Makes you wonder what Lowe has been turning down.
Im sure that in the negotiating process that teams dont put their best deal available first. Nor should Lowe accept the first deal thrown at him. It pisses me off because Winter has handcuffed Lowe. It reduces his negotiating power. Reminds me of the Weight situation.

Old
10-26-2003, 06:04 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sport...C-4825DC7D0514

So Comrie won't play for Edmonton. It's been made public. That means Lowe has to trade him. Doesn't that lower Lowe's trading power. Winter should shut his cake hole.
The article states ""The chances of Mike Comrie playing for the Oilers is zero," a frustrated Winter said on Saturday. "The differences between the two sides is great. "It's not possible to get a deal done.""

"So Comrie won't play for Edmonton." You can interpret that to mean that Comrie refuses to play for Edmonton or you could interpret it to mean that Winter believes that Lowe will never compromise with Comrie and that as a consequence of Lowe's actions Comrie will never play in Edmonton.

Lowe is tying his own hands by not signing Comrie. Lowe could sign Comrie tomorrow for Comries price and trade him immediately, hence no budget impact.

Or do you follow the Brynster conspiracy theory and think that this is a high road, good for the league negotiation?

Old
10-26-2003, 06:22 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
The article states ""The chances of Mike Comrie playing for the Oilers is zero," a frustrated Winter said on Saturday. "The differences between the two sides is great. "It's not possible to get a deal done.""

"So Comrie won't play for Edmonton." You can interpret that to mean that Comrie refuses to play for Edmonton or you could interpret it to mean that Winter believes that Lowe will never compromise with Comrie and that as a consequence of Lowe's actions Comrie will never play in Edmonton.

Lowe is tying his own hands by not signing Comrie. Lowe could sign Comrie tomorrow for Comries price and trade him immediately, hence no budget impact.

Or do you follow the Brynster conspiracy theory and think that this is a high road, good for the league negotiation?

Yes I do agree with Brynster that it is good for the league. NHL GM's have to start taking a hardline on players salaries. You started seeing it this year but the players have responded (ala Karyia). Teams this year are topping the 80M mark and if it wasnt for the CBA to expire next year it wouldnt stop there.

Old
10-26-2003, 06:36 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
Yes I do agree with Brynster that it is good for the league. NHL GM's have to start taking a hardline on players salaries. You started seeing it this year but the players have responded (ala Karyia). Teams this year are topping the 80M mark and if it wasnt for the CBA to expire next year it wouldnt stop there.
Kariya and Selanne want rings. It also shows that when you have enough money the priority to get more drops.

Old
10-26-2003, 06:54 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Kariya and Selanne want rings. It also shows that when you have enough money the priority to get more drops.
I figured someone was going to bring that up. I do not believe that for a second. Yeah, Karyia can go to the press all he wants and say that he wanted to play for Colorado but the catalyst was Bryan Murray wanting to reduce Karyia's salary so that they could bring in another player. Karyia was pissed because he didnt get his $10M.

Old
10-26-2003, 07:01 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:

Now how exactly is it different from him not signing him and trading him immediately?

Comrie is a free agent, meaning teams can inquire, and try and work out a contract before a trade is even made... the Oilers signing him does nothing in terms of ending this, especially if all they want to do is trade him.

And yes it is good for the league... this is the power the GMs have, and it's about damn time someone uses it.

Old
10-26-2003, 07:09 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Now how exactly is it different from him not signing him and trading him immediately?
The premise was that Winter is tying Lowe's hands re a trade. I suggest that Lowe's hands aren't tied at all.

WRT Comrie being a free agent I would suggest that the compensation for signing a type II free agent is such that no team signs these people. Maybe you're aware of some high profile type II's signing?

Old
10-26-2003, 07:13 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
I figured someone was going to bring that up. I do not believe that for a second. Yeah, Karyia can go to the press all he wants and say that he wanted to play for Colorado but the catalyst was Bryan Murray wanting to reduce Karyia's salary so that they could bring in another player. Karyia was pissed because he didnt get his $10M.
So you think Colorado made the best offer?

Makes you wonder why Edmonton didn't offer slighly more! Oh wait, I forgot, Brynster wants us to finish last with a low payroll.

Old
10-26-2003, 07:26 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
So you think Colorado made the best offer?

Makes you wonder why Edmonton didn't offer slighly more! Oh wait, I forgot, Brynster wants us to finish last with a low payroll.
If he wanted to play for a contender he could have gone to Vancouver of Ottawa (Canadian teams). Playing for Colorado hurts Anaheim more.

Old
10-26-2003, 07:46 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
If he wanted to play for a contender he could have gone to Vancouver of Ottawa (Canadian teams). Playing for Colorado hurts Anaheim more.
and Edmonton wasn't bidding because??

Old
10-26-2003, 07:52 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
The premise was that Winter is tying Lowe's hands re a trade. I suggest that Lowe's hands aren't tied at all.

WRT Comrie being a free agent I would suggest that the compensation for signing a type II free agent is such that no team signs these people. Maybe you're aware of some high profile type II's signing?
My point was not that another team can sign him and give the Oilers compensation, but that Winter is free to work out a contract with any other team, and then they can try and trade for Comrie.

If a player says he won't sign here, it does tie Lowe's hands because instead of 3 options (sign him, trade him, sit him), he now has 2 (trade him, sit him), and only 1 of those options has any benefit to the Oilers.

Old
10-26-2003, 07:57 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Use your heads a minute.

Comrie being signed or unsigned doesn't affect how easy it is to trade him. The adage "It's easier to trade signed players" only applies when they're signed for *reasonable* money. (Jagr's signed... Yashin's signed... Guerin's signed... think their contracts make them easier to trade?)

If some team is serious about acquiring Comrie, they can call Rich Winter and talk salary right after they call Lowe and ask what he wants back. In fact, I expect that most GMs who have even a remote interest in Comrie have *already* talked to Rich Winter and know how much he'd sign for. Comrie being unsigned is not an obstacle to his being traded *unless* Comrie's salary expectations are outrageous- and if they are, then signing him to that contract makes him *untradeable*.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:02 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
and Edmonton wasn't bidding because??

Edmonton wasn't bidding because there wasn't an auction.

Kariya and Selanne *chose* Colorado. They talked about it and decided they wanted to play together again. They decided Colorado was the place. They called up their agent and got in touch with Pierre Lacroix, and told him they wanted to play there.

If you think Kariya would have come to Edmonton if we'd offered him $1.3 million instead of what the Avs are paying him, you completely missed the point of what happened last summer. $1.2 million wasn't the best offer Kariya got- it was the price he decided on in exchange for playing on a contender with his buddy Teemu.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:04 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Lafleur
I say trade him for someone like Tucker or Shane Doan ..some one who actually play like the game means something to them.
You're talking like Tucker and Doan actually have equal value. The truth is, Doan is overall just so much better than Tucker, they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. Doan is a very good idea, and I'd love for the Oilers to get him, but I don't see it, because Comrie won't do the trick. Tucker is the absolute last player I would to see in an Oiler jersey. It scares me just thinking about it.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:35 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
If a player says he won't sign here, it does tie Lowe's hands because instead of 3 options (sign him, trade him, sit him), he now has 2 (trade him, sit him), and only 1 of those options has any benefit to the Oilers.
You're right, but Comrie hasn't said he won't sign.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:36 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie

Kariya and Selanne *chose* Colorado. They talked about it and decided they wanted to play together again. They decided Colorado was the place. They called up their agent and got in touch with Pierre Lacroix, and told him they wanted to play there.

If you think Kariya would have come to Edmonton if we'd offered him $1.3 million instead of what the Avs are paying him, you completely missed the point of what happened last summer. $1.2 million wasn't the best offer Kariya got- it was the price he decided on in exchange for playing on a contender with his buddy Teemu.
My point was that, if Karyia had been given an offer from Anaheim around the $10M range then he would still be there.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:39 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie

I claimed they signed with Colorado because it's their best chance to get the rings.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:49 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
You're talking like Tucker and Doan actually have equal value. The truth is, Doan is overall just so much better than Tucker, they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. Doan is a very good idea, and I'd love for the Oilers to get him, but I don't see it, because Comrie won't do the trick. Tucker is the absolute last player I would to see in an Oiler jersey. It scares me just thinking about it.
Agreed, we already have a player like Tucker in Torres. IMO Torres has way more upside than Tucker.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:50 AM
momentai

Quote:
Could they have afforded Selanne's salary at the time? I don't think so. Would either of them be willing to put up 7-8 million dollars for getting a Kariya for a single year.

Regardless, can you blame Kariya for wanting to go to a contender? He went to play in a place where he could skate with Selanne again and being friends with Joe Sakic certainly didn't hurt matters.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:52 AM
momentai

Quote:
My point was that, if Karyia had been given an offer from Anaheim around the $10M range then he would still be there.
Not really. As soon as Anaheim failed to give him his 10% raise, Kariya was an UFA. At that point, Kariya was looking out for himself and what he wanted.

If Anaheim came back and offerred him a 10 million dollar contract, I doubt Kariya would have come back. Anaheim doesn't play his style of hockey anymore anyways.

Old
10-26-2003, 09:17 AM
oilflash

John Garrett has some interesting comments on free agency.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/colum...23_100822_4340

Old
10-26-2003, 09:26 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Not really. As soon as Anaheim failed to give him his 10% raise, Kariya was an UFA. At that point, Kariya was looking out for himself and what he wanted.
(another minor point- gee, I'm picky today- the Ducks didn't have to offer him a 10% raise. A qualifying offer for players over the league average salary just require the same money they earned the season before.)

Closed Thread