HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers get Ozilinsh from Ducks for 3rd round pick.

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2006, 04:35 PM
sickboy35

vCash: 500
right here singin!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=6307&hubname=

devils upgraded an already tough team and we stand pat in the toughness dept.! we are in trouble playing them in the 1st round!

Old
03-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
The question is, how does he rate on the defensive side of the puck compared to Strudwick? I've watched Ozo since hes returned to the Ducks and I've liked his play with the puck in the offensive zone, but struggles on the defensive side.

Also of coruse, do we break up our dpairs, or keep them together and take our chances with the nightmare pair of Poti-Ozo?

Old
03-09-2006, 04:38 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
The question is, how does he rate on the defensive side of the puck compared to Strudwick? I've watched Ozo since hes returned to the Ducks and I've liked his play with the puck in the offensive zone, but struggles on the defensive side.

Also of coruse, do we break up our dpairs, or keep them together and take our chances with the nightmare pair of Poti-Ozo?

I think we are going to have to...Poti and Oz....

McKenzie said Kaspar and Oz played in the WJC together and played very well...maybe they will be a pair (even though that was years and years ago).

Old
03-09-2006, 04:38 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
right here singin!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=6307&hubname=

devils upgraded an already tough team and we stand pat in the toughness dept.! we are in trouble playing them in the 1st round!
Got it. Moved the link the Non-Ranger thread.

03-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Not a bad deal for Ozo. He has 2 GWG's in his last 3 games, looks like he's in good shape after injuries/rehab early on. Only 8 PIM's in 17 games must mean he's not taking stupid penalties right?

Old
03-09-2006, 04:42 PM
eco's bones

Well we needed a defenseman but I had something a little different in mind. I guess we'll have to see. Would have prefered someone a little bit nastier. On the positive side we didn't give up any prospects. This was very good asset management.

Old
03-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Edge

Not a deal I'm gonna do back flips for, but if Ozolinsh is motivated it has the potential for a big payoff.

Considering the deal is essentially Niemenen for Ozo, it's not bad.

Whether the deal becomes "good" or better really depends on if Ozolinsh is willing to play like he did in the Olympics.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

can Ozolinsh play the right side?

Old
03-09-2006, 05:22 PM
dedalus

Brutal. Just brutal.

The only upside is that we didn't deal two 2nd round picks.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:27 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
I believe there are pro's and con's to this deal. He is a good player, you can't argue that. Offensive defensmen and we don't have too much of that. But who do we pair him with. Toots-Kaspar, Roz-Malik pairings have been too succesful to split up in my opinion, but you can't put this guy with Poti or there plus minus will be -10 by the end of next week. I feel like NYR MUST split up one of those two pairs, which is quite unfortunate. These seem like the options to me

Toots-Kasp
Roz-Malik
Poti-Ozo (offensive line, will give up many goals)

Kaspar-Ozo
Roz-Malik
Tyu-Poti

Toots-Kasp
Malik-Ozo
Roz-Poti I like this one the best

Or what the hell, let's just scratch Poti and allieviate the problem. I believe Strudwick needs minutes and to be in the line up often.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Sicilian

mixed emotions on the deal. i like the offense, but does it really make the team that much better?

i will say though, if oz can get it going on the PP, teams can't focus on Jagr as much. IF (and it is definitely an if) that happens, our PP takes on a whole new dimension.

i agree with what others have said though, i'm nervous about physical teams come playoff time.

Old
ftyutin51

Well, a trade is a trade but frankly, I wanted a more Denis Gauthier-type player. Strong, big, pysical, mean, nasty. However, Ozo is a top4 defensmen who can help anchor our PP and get the puck moving up the ice.

Anyways, I think we should be extra loud for Ozo's first home game as a NYR on Sunday. Welcome him with open arms and show him the hard-work, dedication and what it takes to be a real winner for the team, MSG and us loyal fans!!!

Besides, our jerseys will probably look better on Ozo then the Ducks'.

Old
Kluivert4Ever

Ozolinsh is a better fit for this team than Nieminen, my concern his the two million dollar in salary we added, will that keep us away from Redden this summer?
If so then it was a horrible deal.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:29 PM
chosen

Can't hurt. Might help. A no-brainer.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:30 PM
BigE

I don't understand the mentality of "we need a PP QB on this team", because as long as we have Jagr IT DOES NOT MATTER who we have on the point! Jagr will continue to run the show as long as he's here and it almost becomes irrelevant who you have on the backline during the powerplay. He's no more defensively capable than Rucinsky or Straka, and either one of those guys is capable of lugging the puck up and making quick, authorized (by Jagr) passes from the point on the PP - so it's not like we're taking any less of a risk by putting a forward on the point.

To be honest, I just see another liability.

Perhaps if Ozolinsh plays with the second unit we might see some improvements. But really, how often is Jagr NOT on the PP? The answer is not very.

Unfortunately, I don't think our tough, rugged and defensively sound dman was out there. Speaking for myself here, I would have been happy keeping that 3rd from SJ.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:31 PM
bubba5

If he helps the PP, its worth it, I would have tried someone different (Leetch) but most teams are probably looking for puck moving defensemen so the prices are high.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:31 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Brutal. Just brutal.

The only upside is that we didn't deal two 2nd round picks.

How is it brutal? In case you were wondering, the Rangers' problem has been scoring from the blueline. They rank near the bottom in the NHL in goals from D-men.

They are what, 2nd in the NHL in goals allowed and in the top-5 in shots allowed. So both the defense and the goaltending are in no need of a makeover.

They got a slick, puck-moving d-man with legitimate playoff experience who can put up points. Poti has never done that, so stop the comparisons.

Excellent trade. They used a utility player like Niemo and parlayed it into an offensive d-man.

The Rangers are disciplined enough up front and have elite goaltending to cover up Ozolinsh's shortcomings defensively.

Beautiful trade. Sather's rolling strikes. I can't believe it.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:32 PM
McDonagh27

How about we all just wait a few games to judge if this trade is good or not??? We needed a PP QB, we potentially have one with the Wizard... If he doesn't pan out, we didn't give up any prospects or anyone vital to this team.. We didn't even have that pick a week ago.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:33 PM
robertch

I like the deal, though it's not the one I would have made. Ozolinsh for Neiminen is a great deal, but I would have preferred a more defensive dman on this squad. I was hoping for Mitchell or Kuba myself, but considering what Dallas paid for Mitchell, I'm glad we didn't make that deal.

Ozolinsh has certainly been on an upswing lately, so we may be pleasantly surprised. I'm not too worried about the substance abuse thing myself, looks like he's no worse for wear, besides I feel his drunken gangsta.

Was he on one of Colorado's cup winning teams in the 90s??

Old
03-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Balej20*

That absolute only downside is we have this guys contract for next season too, a season in which we could see atleast one, maybe even 3 of our kids make the pro team...Plus we have some returning guys on the blue line...Another trade will obviously have to be made before next season.

Other than that, good deal, we needed a PP QB like it was no one's business. Maybe he can be like a Zubov to us during the cup run.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:35 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Does anyone suppose that acquiring Ozolinsh means that we will not re-sign Poti or Rozsival for next year?

Old
03-09-2006, 05:36 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever
Ozolinsh is a better fit for this team than Nieminen, my concern his the two million dollar in salary we added, will that keep us away from Redden this summer?

He's signed for next season at 2.75. Poti, in theory and hopefullly will be off the books (he's making 2.3). So it shouldn't preclude them from going after Chara or Redden.

What it might do is keep a younger guy out of the line up.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:36 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Does anyone suppose that acquiring Ozolinsh means that we will not re-sign Poti or Rozsival for next year?

Poit yes, Rozsival no.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:37 PM
robertch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever

Based on Sather's behavior today, I don't think he's planning on pusuing either Redden or Chara -- which is fine by me. As I've said before, this team will be more improved through selective, lower profile, additions than by major free agent signings. Ottawa can keep Redden and Chara. We'll have Toots, Staal, and hopefully Rachunek.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
I would say so. Gotta make room for Staal and probably atleast one other kid.

Going into next season, the guranteed guys on our blue line are:
Malik
Tyutin
Kaspar
Ozo

Possibilities being:
Staal
Pock
Baranka

Closed Thread