HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers get Ozilinsh from Ducks for 3rd round pick.

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertch
Based on Sather's behavior today, I don't think he's planning on pusuing either Redden or Chara -- which is fine by me. As I've said before, this team will be more improved through selective, lower profile, additions than by major free agent signings. Ottawa can keep Redden and Chara. We'll have Toots, Staal, and hopefully Rachunek.
Good post, except for the Rachunek part...Lets please forget about that guy.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:39 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Don't love it.

We all talked about filling a need and I'm just not sure that the Rangers did that. Who do you pair Ozo with? Seems like another Poti.

Ozolinsh has played in almost 140 playoff games and has played in 2 cup finals. Poti has played in 15 total postseason games and never went past the 1st round.

Ozolinsh has cracked at least 50 points six times and is a 7-time all-star. Poti has only cracked 40 once.

Please stop the comparison.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:40 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
and exact person I wouldn't want, it would've been a deal for Ozo, and his contract next year.
I agree. This deal does nothing but adds on another big, undeserving contract for next year. We said that there are 3 spots available on D next year. Now there is two. Either the Rangers will not go after the defenseman that we have all talked aobut or no rookie will make the defensive squad. I still cannot see a scenario in which Rozsival is not resigned for next year. Guess it will either be the UFA that we all have wanted or Staal. No point in talking about one of Pock, Lampman or Liffiton anymore as there is not room for them next year.

Old
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Based on Sather's behavior today, I don't think he's planning on pusuing either Redden or Chara -- which is fine by me. As I've said before, this team will be more improved through selective, lower profile, additions than by major free agent signings. Ottawa can keep Redden and Chara. We'll have Toots, Staal, and hopefully Rachunek.
I don't see how what Sather did or did not do today is an insight to his actions vis-a-vis Redden or Chara.

And I'm sorry but there is no way I pass on Chara or Redden in favor of Rachunek.

BigE

I'll just add that I am slightly interested to see what Ozolinsh brings 5 on 5 to this club. I haven't seen any of his games since he returned from that abuse program, but the earlier season games I saw have left a bad taste in my mouth.

Read my comments above for my thoughts on all the "Powerplay QB" non-sense.

Non-sense, poopy-pants!!!

Old
03-09-2006, 05:41 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8
Ozolinsh has played in almost 140 playoff games and has played in 2 cup finals. Poti has played in 15 total postseason games and never went past the 1st round.

Ozolinsh has cracked at least 50 points six times and is a 7-time all-star. Poti has only cracked 40 once.

Doesn't change the fact that they are both sub-par defensive players. And they will both be in the lineup.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
I don't see how what Sather did or did not do today is an insight to his actions vis-a-vis Redden or Chara.

And I'm sorry but there is no way I pass on Chara or Redden in favor of Rachunek.

The key to succes is building from within but not often do you get a chance to sign a YOUNG player that feels a need, we have to take a shot at Redden.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:42 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Does anyone suppose that acquiring Ozolinsh means that we will not re-sign Poti or Rozsival for next year?
Poti no. Roszival yes.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:44 PM
robertch

Quote:

Very interesting information. I always remember loving Ozolinsh when he broke into the league with SJ all those years ago, but I didn't realize he'd been that good throughout his career.

Also, I think Rozsival's earned a contract for next season and should be resigned. If we let Poti walk that should leaves the 6th/7th spot open for one of the kids.

Old
Large_Farva*

Send a message via MSN to Large_Farva*
Quote:
Doesn't change the fact that they are both sub-par defensive players. And they will both be in the lineup.
Having sub-par defensive players has not hurt the Rangers this season.. won't hurt now.

Old
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
I would have been happy keeping that 3rd from SJ.
I know you wanted to stand pat, but I think the team had to land abody and was prepared to part with that pick from the start.

I'm keep telling myself, next game, Pock and Strudwick will be replaced by Ozo and Malik, which seems like an upgrade for the team.

Old
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
I'll just add that I am slightly interested to see what Ozolinsh brings 5 on 5 to this club. I haven't seen any of his games since he returned from that abuse program, but the earlier season games I saw have left a bad taste in my mouth.

Read my comments above for my thoughts on all the "Powerplay QB" non-sense.

Non-sense, poopy-pants!!!

20th in power-play goals scored...17th in pp percentage and that's with JJ. You're basing Ozolinsh on a handful of games you saw earliy in the season.

The guy makes your PP better.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:47 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:

Obviously the Rangers are pretty much set in the goals-against department. Unless you aren't satisfied with the 2nd-best GAA in the NHL. Ozolinsh is one-dimensional, and that dimension just happens to be the area where the Rangers struggle. Only time will tell, I guess.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:47 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
I'm keep telling myself, next game, Pock and Strudwick will be replaced by Ozo and Malik, which seems like an upgrade for the team.
I suppose that is a good way to look at this deal.

And the way Holly played last night this deal deceptively makes us tougher. Although that would have happened without the Ozo part of it.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:49 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
2 games & 2 points for Pock and that's it?

Old
BigE

Quote:
20th in power-play goals scored...17th in pp percentage and that's with JJ. You're basing Ozolinsh on a handful of games you saw earliy in the season.

The guy makes your PP better.
Yes, that's with JJ running the show. BUT what is Ozolinsh going to do any better than Rucinsky or Straka from the point? Regardless of who the pointmen are, they're just following shoulder shrugs, stick taps, and Czech jibberish.

Old
VEGASRANGERFAN

Is Ozilinsh a right or left handed shot?

Old
03-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Davisian

I don't see what's not to like...

This is an upgrade to the defense, only cost one of the 2 3rd rounders..

A proven playoff performer, who instantly makes the power play better..

I guess the cons would be

his contract, but really don't see that as much of an albatross..

His "head".. Is he recovered? Seems many think from his Olympic play he is..

The "soft factor" on the D. Yes, that's a worry, but A) they've been soft all season on D, and have had success and B) 15 games in a row without giving up more than 2 goals in the "new" NHL suggests that the team D is good enough to overcome..

The playoffs might be a different story, but the officials say they'll be calling the playoffs the same way..

Old
True Blue Bleed Blue

I hate this trade. We had a lack of toughness, as our real only hole, and we could have added it with adding a depth defenseman, but instead we went to go get Poti the 2nd. How many finesse skaters can there be on one team, geez.

Old
robertch

Quote:

I think it indicates that he is intent on sticking to his idea of "the rebuild," and has little interest in acquiring big name veterans. I do believe making a big free agent spash would be inconsistent with his actions since last years deadline.

Redden and Chara are great players, but so were a lot of guys we've signed in the past. Not saying it never works out, just that adding talent doesn't neccessarily equal success. I would take Rachunek over Redden or Chara on this team. He is young, there is a potential for real chemistry with our core lineup IMO. For this reason, I'd rather have him. But...no need to get into this debate again on this thread.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:54 PM
BigE

Quote:
Obviously the Rangers are pretty much set in the goals-against department. Unless you aren't satisfied with the 2nd-best GAA in the NHL.
Right, because we need to make Henke's job tougher than it already is...sure we beat Philly 6-1, but we gave up 37 shots in the process.

This Ranger defense isn't a whole lot different from the team with the 29th-best GAA in 03/04, which is to say I wouldn't go toting overrated statistics to support your argument for a defensively liable addition to our blue corps.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
2 games & 2 points for Pock and that's it?
That's the message this trade sends to me, not that I'm particularly surprised.

Old
03-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Janerixon

this was such a pointless trade, we needed a big defensive d-man, so the devils just loaded up with klee, lukowich, and now they got weimer, the flyers got gautier, the sens got arnasson, and canes got recchi... seems like all these teams upgraded and we got ozo

we are in bad shape for the playoffs, typical sather moved, lets go for finesse instead of size

i know sather didnt see the rangers get knocked around by the flyers in 97 but instead he will see this team get knocked around by the devils, flyers, leafs, sabres, or someone come playoff time

Old
03-09-2006, 05:56 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
I hate this trade. We had a lack of toughness, as our real only hole, and we could have added it with adding a depth defenseman, but instead we went to go get Poti the 2nd. How many finesse skaters can there be on one team, geez.
BIG SURPRISE

Old
03-09-2006, 05:56 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I think it indicates that he is intent on sticking to his idea of "the rebuild," and has little interest in acquiring big name veterans. I do believe making a big free agent spash would be inconsistent with his actions since last years deadline.

Redden and Chara are great players, but so were a lot of guys we've signed in the past. Not saying it never works out, just that adding talent doesn't neccessarily equal success. I would take Rachunek over Redden or Chara on this team. He is young, there is a potential for real chemistry with our core lineup IMO. For this reason, I'd rather have him. But...no need to get into this debate again on this thread.
Fair enough.

I see it differnetly. Sather had an idea what he was going to pay for guys and didn't stray from it. Now, that doesn't mean he won't try and sign Redden or Chara. You're not giving up young guys to do that.

And I think that todayed showed that every team is looking to improve their defensemen.

Closed Thread