HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line up with Havlat?

View Poll Results: Who's benched?
Neil 10 14.29%
Varada 37 52.86%
Eaves 12 17.14%
Kelly 7 10.00%
Smoke 3 4.29%
Vermette 1 1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2006, 06:12 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

vCash: 500
Line up with Havlat?

When Havlat's back, who's riding the pine?

Old
03-09-2006, 06:15 PM
EJsens1

I voted Varada on this one. It was between him and Eaves. I've liked Eaves, but found the last 6 weeks, he hasn't done squat other then that goal versus the Leafs, but he has shown more progress then Varada who has done absolutely nothing.

Old
03-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Human Megaphone

I really can't decide, and I love that. It's between Varada and Eaves for me as well, but I'd have to sit eaves. God, I love that this is so hard.

Old
03-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
Neil or Varada..but the nice part is if a series gets gritty, we just pump then back into the line-up.

Old
03-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Captain_Cunney

As much as it pains me I voted Eaves. Usually when it comes down to the playoffs the rook gets the raw end.

It was down to him and Neil.

It won't be Neil, I suspect Murray will not mess with that line.

That leaves Eaves, who is without doubt the best player of all 3. He simply gets voted off the island due to inexperience.

**I'm surprised with all the Varada hate.....players like him are never that valuable in the reg. season but usually fans know that such a player is very valuable in the post season.

Varada's value improves 10 fold once the playoffs begin, IMO. We need players like him in the playoffs, he'll finish his checks and get under the other teams skin.

Old
03-09-2006, 06:47 PM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

You didn't ask who you wanted to ride the pine, rather who was going to ride the pine.

It'll be Eaves. No egos are hurt if he sits, being a rookie, and he can step in and play if someone tanks or gets injured.

If it were up to me, it'd be Varada or Neil. Basically I'd tell 'em, "Whoever is less physical is sitting" and then watch 'em go.

Old
03-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Pangu

I want Eaves to play with Havlat and Arnason, so I say whoever plays the worst of Varada, Smokes and Kelly.

Old
03-09-2006, 06:50 PM
gbl1p

Heatley-Spezza-Alfie
Vermette-Arnason-Havlat
Schaefer-Fisher-Neil
Varada-Kelly-Eaves

Love it.

Old
03-09-2006, 06:52 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
You didn't ask who you wanted to ride the pine, rather who was going to ride the pine.

It'll be Eaves. No egos are hurt if he sits, being a rookie, and he can step in and play if someone tanks or gets injured.

If it were up to me, it'd be Varada or Neil. Basically I'd tell 'em, "Whoever is less physical is sitting" and then watch 'em go.
I'll like to think that Eaves will play with Havlat and Arnason.

Thus it was down to Varada and Neil, since Vermette and Kelly kill penalties.

Varada seems to play better in the play-offs so I went with Neil, although, Eaves will probably sit if we play the Flyers or any other physical team.

Old
03-09-2006, 07:27 PM
SENSible1*

Heatley-Spezza-Alfie
Vermette-Arnason-Havlat
Schaefer-Fisher-Neil
Varada-Kelly-Smolinski
Eaves

I'd try this line up first and then maybe move Smoke up to the 2nd line for Vermette at the end of tight games.

Old
03-09-2006, 07:30 PM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

I think Vermette is fine where he is and he has a certain chemistry with Kelly.

Old
03-09-2006, 07:46 PM
HfxMoose

I'd say Varada is the odd man out.

Old
03-09-2006, 07:48 PM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

I'd be very surprised to see Varada as the odd-man out.

He raised a stink already this season about playing 4-8 minutes a game.

Cutting his play off entirely could be a distraction the team doesn't need.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
Well its time Varada realizes he's expendable, and if he wanted to play more, we should have sent him to Chicago.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:10 PM
gbl1p

I loved the Varada-Kelly-Eaves line.... I think Varada will find himself in the stretch and be that pest by playoff time. I've just been so over Smolinki lately that I feel that he may end up cheerleading by the end of it. Good guy, but damn well haven't heard his name in 4 months.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Captain_Cunney

I will bet my right arm (maybe both) that Varada will absolutely be in the lineup for the playoffs. I think anyone who doesn't think so if fooling themself.

He is the type of player who is better suited for the playoffs. At the very least Murray will probably start with him and if he isn't playing the agitating/physical style he will then remove him and insert Eaves into the lineup.

Varada and Smoke will both be in the lineup whether we all agree or not....they both bring the vet. experience that is needed come playoffs.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Pothier

As much as I love the kid, I really think Eaves will be sitting out.

I have a feeling 'Gratts will see some Playoff games, depending on the team we're facing.

Some tough decisions for Murray, indeed.

Old
03-09-2006, 09:00 PM
hockeycountry

Quote:
Heatley-Spezza-Alfie
Vermette-Arnason-Havlat
Schaefer-Fisher-Neil
Varada-Kelly-Eaves

Love it.
Me too.

In general -- while I'd agree that Kelly and Vermette work well together as it stands, Vermette and Havlat have always looked good and liked playing together too (in their limited chances). And I think they have far greater potential. Plus Kelly and Vermy could stay together on the PK, and everybody wins.

Old
03-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Shubert?????

Old
03-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Bileur

Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson
Smolinski-Arnason-Havlat
Schaefer-Fisher-Neil
Varada-Kelly-Vermette/Eaves

I dont think there is any way they bust down Smoke to the 4th even though we dont like him much. Schubert will go back to D mostly. I cant wait for Marty to come back.

Old
03-09-2006, 09:14 PM
EJsens1

Reading some of the other responses really makes me wonder what the Sens do. Smolinski has been pretty much useless for the role he should be playing. He's not hurting us, but not helping us either. However, for the contract he has, a bit more offence would be great.

I can't imagine the team sitting Kelly. He has earned playing time. Vermette has played great the last couple weeks and 2 years ago in the playoffs, he busted his balls against the Leafs. I totally see him doing that again in the playoffs. He brings a good youthful enthusiasm that is effective. Plus, he's a popular guy in the lockeroom.
At first I thought Varada should be the one to sit and that is who I voted for, but some people made the point that his game is more directed for the playoffs and I have to agree on that. Alot of it might depend on who we play in the first round. If we play a more physical team, you can bet he'll be in there. If its more of a finesse team like Tampa let's say, good chance you would see Eaves over him. Plus, you never know with injuries. Somebody else might get hurt (knock on wood it doesn't happen.. )

I think I like the idea of putting Vermette with Arnason and Havlat. The combination of speed would be unreal. Quite frankly, Chris Neil has been useless the last 15-20 games IMO. But that line continues to play well, so I would keep them the same. Smolinski on the 4th line??? He's not that brutal, so that's why i can't see him dropping that far and we'll end up seeing him with havlat and Arnason, while Vermette stays with Kelly and either Eaves, Varada and McGratton who has gotten completely forgotten in this whole situation.

Old
03-09-2006, 09:17 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

I don't understand why everyone says Vermette-Arnason-Havlat would be a speedly line. From what I understand Arnason's not actually that fast... or is my information wrong?

Old
03-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickEaves
I don't understand why everyone says Vermette-Arnason-Havlat would be a speedly line. From what I understand Arnason's not actually that fast... or is my information wrong?
He is quick (movements, stick handling) but not excessively fast.

But with Vermette and Havlat on the line, it could still be considered "speedy".

Old
03-09-2006, 09:19 PM
EJsens1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickEaves
I am more referring to Havlat and Vermette specifically, but I see why you said that. Smolinski is a not fast and you put him there with Arnason and Havlat, then you have only 1 forward who is really quick, if what you are saying is true about Arnason not being any sort of speed demon.

Old
03-09-2006, 09:20 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I think everyone assumes McGrattan will be sitting come playoff time, so that leaves just one spot. Vermette CAN'T sit, IMO. Not after the way he's played lately. 15 goals on the 4th line while still being great on the PK, so I think we can cross him off the list. No way Smoke will sit. The coaches love Kelly, so I don't think he will either. That leaves Neil, Varada, and Eaves. Unfortunately, it looks like Eaves is the odd guy out, although the other two are playing worse right now. Still 20 more games to go. Maybe Eaves develops chemistry with Arnason and grabs a spot on that line.

Closed Thread