HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Eastern Conference Post TDD

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Human Megaphone

vCash: 500
The Eastern Conference Post TDD

With all the theatrics come and gone, how do you think the teams in contention in the East did?

Carolina: I was ticked off that Carolina got Recchi for so little, but I think this is mostly a lateral move. Personally I don't see Cole coming back anytime soon, and they didn't make any big changes to their D. Andrew Ladd and Jack Johnson could come in and help, but they still don't make a big change for me. Overall I think they are about the same as before and failed to help their D.

Rangers: They give up on Ville Niemenen right before the playoffs, which makes no sense to me. Sandis Ozolinsh is certainly an improvement over Tom Poti if he can regain his form, but that isn't guaranteed with all his issues this season. I thought they needed some more grit, but that wasn't really addressed.

Buffalo. I think the big news here is that they kept Biron. I thought they could have gotten a top four D or a top six forward. Buffalo is going to have good goaltending, but only one guy can play each night. I don't really understand why they didn't trade Noronen earlier.

Philly: Denis Gauthier is a solid player, but personally I think he continues the mold of slow, physical Dmen that are slightly dirty. I don't want to play Philly because I think that even if we beat them, we'll get beat up, but Gauthier doesn't make them any more scary in my mind then they were. I don't know enough about Dimitrakos to make a ruling on him.

NJ. They picked up two decent Dmen in Klee and Lukowich, but neither of them are really fast or mobile. Certainly doesn't hurt them, but I don't think they greatly improve the team.

TB: Didn't make any moves, didn't get a goalie. They have a bunch of good players, but I don't trust their goalies to take them anywhere. I'd love to play them in the first round.

Montreal: Todd Simpson is a purely regular season move in my mind. He'll help them like he helped us, except maybe slower. In the long term I think they helped their team by moving Theodore, but again, they can only play one goalie. Huet has played us well all season, so I don't think much has changed here.

Atlanta: Steve McCarthy is a solid addition, but I don't think he'll change much of the dynamic there.

All in all with Emery and Morrison holding the fort until Dom is ready, Arnason coming over and Havlat coming back we are placed pretty well for the playoffs.

Last edited by Human Megaphone: 03-09-2006 at 10:37 PM. Reason: spelling of players names
Old
03-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Lonnie Loach

If I remove my partisan bias and look at how the teams in the east have played since the beginning of December (which is when I think all teams in the league finally adjusted to the new rules, and the refs settled into a comfort zone), I would rank Carolina as the best team in the East, followed by Buffalo. I would categorize the Sens as no better than third, and really a pick'em with Philly (assuming a healthy Forsberg) and the Rangers. I see no reason to change my mind after the trade deadline.

The rest of the NHL has been catching up to the Sens since the beginning of the season, and in the case of Carolina and Buffalo, has surpassed them.

Old
03-09-2006, 07:41 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Loach
The rest of the NHL has been catching up to the Sens since the beginning of the season, and in the case of Carolina and Buffalo, has surpassed them.
The days of pretending that Carolina is an overachieving underdog are over.

We'll see how they do if they enter the playoffs as a big favorite. With Weight and Recchi on board, it's Cup or bust for these guys.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:09 PM
discostu

Quote:
If I remove my partisan bias and look at how the teams in the east have played since the beginning of December (which is when I think all teams in the league finally adjusted to the new rules, and the refs settled into a comfort zone), I would rank Carolina as the best team in the East, followed by Buffalo. I would categorize the Sens as no better than third, and really a pick'em with Philly (assuming a healthy Forsberg) and the Rangers. I see no reason to change my mind after the trade deadline.

I'm very wary of taking those type of selected stats, and trying to look at the reasons why.

This team has not had the motivation to continue. Unlike Buffalo and Carolina, they still hope to prove themselves in the regular season, while Ottawa has been there, done that with regular season success. It wasn't that much of a concern for them.

Also, the loss of Havlat on this team, and, it's more understanding that this team is not performing at the same level that it was back in October. I think this team has it in them to perform like they did before. I still think that Ottawa is the team that the rest of the conference fears. We are the team, that, when we find our game, become the hardest to stop. We're solid, top to bottom.

-If Hasek's healthy, he's still one of the top goaltenders in the league
-Our blueline can be argued to be the best in the league. If another team had the same set of defencemen, we'd be worried about how they have the ability to shut down any other team's offence. We take this portion of our team for granted.
-Our top line is still arguably the scariest trio that can be put on the ice at any given time.
-Secondary scoring, once Havlat is in the line-up is still very potent. While, after Havlat, it lacks that strong scoring punch that other teams have, we do have the ability to always have nearly all of our forwards be a strong enough offensive threat.
-Our special teams are among the strongest in the league, with us being top 3 in both PP and PK. Buffalo is the only team that can boast that, who are actually top 2 in both. However, closer examination into the impact of short-handed goals, shows that Ottawa is more effective than Buffalo in this regard. In particular, our league leading 20 SH goals, 7 more than the next best in the league, makes us incredibly dangerous.

I think we have to step back, and realize that this team is doing an excllent job of proving that they are worthy of the title of being the favourites. If another team boast the same resume that the Sens have, we'd talking about how they are the favourites.

The question becomes, will this team get sloppy, and let teams outwork them when it counts the most. I'm hoping that they are better than that, but, it will take 16 post season wins to prove it.

EDIT: I should also add that I think both Buffalo and Carolina are great teams, and they do worry as post-season threats. I just think that the Sens are still the team to beat this year.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Lonnie Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
The days of pretending that Carolina is an overachieving underdog are over.

We'll see how they do if they enter the playoffs as a big favorite. With Weight and Recchi on board, it's Cup or bust for these guys.

I agree with you - they have snuck up on a lot of people, as have Buffalo and the Rangers - but I think those days ended a while back. I also think there's a reason why Weight and Recchi would waive their no-trade clauses to join Carolina. I think the players in the league already view Carolina as a favorite.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Lonnie Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
I'm very wary of taking those type of selected stats, and trying to look at the reasons why.

You are right - cherry picking stats without looking at the underlying reason can be misleading. Remove any team's best 2 months from its record and I'll almost guarantee you their remaining record wil look mediocre ! I think what I heard during a recent Ranger game was a list of the teams with the 8 best records in hockey since the beginning of December. Carolina and Buffalo were #1 and #2, respectively, the Rangers and Sharks were also in the top 8. The Sens were not in the top 8. On paper the Sens are, in my opinion, the best and deepest team in hockey.

I'm more concerned with momentum. A large part of winning in pro sports is momentum-based, and I would not want to be sitting around at the beginning of April, saying "boy those Sens sure did look good 6 months ago, hope they can regain their edge". I'll be a lot less concerned if, in the 20 games leading up to the playoffs, the Sens have one of the best records in hockey.

Old
03-09-2006, 09:05 PM
NCSENSFAN

The Canes are a lot like the Sens of the past few years, once it gets to play off time they have no grit or toughness.

Old
03-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSENSFAN
The Canes are a lot like the Sens of the past few years, once it gets to play off time they have no grit or toughness.
although I would like to disagree completely with you, losing Cole from their top six will be a huge kick in the balls if he doesnt come back in time. You cant replace a player like that

Old
03-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
I'll be a lot less concerned if, in the 20 games leading up to the playoffs, the Sens have one of the best records in hockey.
That's pretty much how I feel too. While games like the Florida one are annoying, as far as I'm concerned as long as the Sens in those last games leading into the playoffs pick it up a notch or 2, and as long as we continue to accumulate enough points to win the division (home ice advantage and all that), I'll be happy.

I don't think it's easy to just "flip a switch", so I'm looking for an all round better effort and intensity level to finish off the season.

If we're still dropping stinkers in the last few reg. season games I'll be a bit worried.

Old
03-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Release The Lehner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone
TB: Didn't make any moves, didn't get a goalie. They have a bunch of good players, but I don't true their goalies to take them anywhere. I'd love to play them in the first round.
God I hope we play TB in the 1st round. The only teams in the East right now that I'd want the Sens to face in the playoffs more than the Lightning are the Caps and Pens. Everyone else scares me more than Tampa.

Old
03-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Ismellofhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSENSFAN
Unfortunately they have more veterans than we've ever had with Weight, Brind'Amour, Recchi, Whitney, Stillman...

Old
03-10-2006, 12:39 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Buffalo? Surpassed?

o.....k......

10-4

Old
03-10-2006, 12:47 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin
Buffalo? Surpassed?

o.....k......

10-4
That was a long time ago.

They did beat us last, so they've got the bragging rights for the time being.

That being said, I like the way we match up against them and wouldn't mind facing them in a playoff series.

Old
03-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Gonchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Senator
God I hope we play TB in the 1st round. The only teams in the East right now that I'd want the Sens to face in the playoffs more than the Lightning are the Caps and Pens. Everyone else scares me more than Tampa.

Agreed. I would prefer to play Tampa over any other playoff-bound team in the East.

Closed Thread