Caps looking to move GONCHAR and KOLZIG according to spectors

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2003, 05:44 AM
Taz#24

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Taz#24
Caps looking to move GONCHAR and KOLZIG according to spectors

How about a threeway deal in which the Aves acquire KOLZIG...

To Colorado-Olaf KOLZIG and Sergie GONCHAR
To Washington-Brian ROLSTON, Shoane MORRISONN, David AEBISCHER and a 2nd rounder from the Aves.
To Boston-Derek MORRIS and (Jeff HALPERN or Brian SUTHERBY, Caps choice, I like either one as a Bruin)

From Colorado's perspective, they get a proven #1 and a veteran defensive winger to help balance out the line-up (a lot of O but not much D up front).

From the Cap's perspective, they accomplish the desired effect by dumping two big salaries. They take on a ROLSTON's but add another offensive dimension to take the pressure off of JAGR and BONDRA. They get a good young goaltender in AEBISCHER and a prospect in MORRISONN.

Our perspective, we instantly improve the D by acquiring a legit #1 guy who can create O from the D and anchor the PP. We dwon grade our forward corps but add a solid two-way center. With ZINOJEV and BERGERON looking very good and ROLSTON's contract set to expire, making him a UFA after the season, I think it's a wise move.

Our line up...
KNUBLE-THORNTON-MURRAY
SAMSONOV-ZINOJEV-LAPOINTE
AXELSSON-HALPERN/SUTHERBY-BERGERON
ZAMUNER-GREEN-MCCARTHY
Depth-GROSEK, STOCK and DONATO

MORRIS-GILL
BOYNTON-MCGILLIS
O'DONNELL-JILLSON
MORAN
Depth-KUTLAK, JURCINA

RAYCROFT
POTVIN

Old
10-26-2003, 06:05 AM
BlacknGold Barbarino

Probably too complex to ever happen, but you never know. Why not just go right for Gonchar? He'd be perfect, IMO, if a bit expensive to acquire.

Boynton
Gonchar
O'Donnell
McGillis
Gill
Jillson

Nice top six. Don't know what it would take acquire Gonchar, though. He's probably the closest thing to a #1 d-man available via trade.

Old
10-26-2003, 06:24 AM
ThorntoNeely198

Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
Rolston's contract situation aside, I think the Bruins and the Caps give up far too much for what they would receive.

Would the Caps trade Kolzig, Gonchar, and Halpern for Rolston (and his due-to-expand-or-expire contract), Morrisonn, Aebischer, and a 2nd? They already have two sharp young goaltenders in the system, with Aebischer falling to third in their depth chart IMHO if this trade happened.

The Bruins, meanwhile, give up Rolston and one of their top defensive prospects for Morris, a guy who I'm not sure would perform at the same level if he were taken out of that situation, and change. Tough trade for them.

The trade suits the Avs to perfection. But I don't think they're going to give up anything as meaningful as Morris to solve their goaltender woes. The CuJo situation has set the market deadly low for goalies. Why trade away Morris when rumors abound that CuJo could have been had for something as cheap as Lapointe and change. If I'm Colorado, I work a three-way for peanuts. I keep dangling my overrated players (Skoula, Tanguay) until someone bites.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:58 AM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
DO NOT TRADE ROLSTON

or anyone on the current roster for that matter.

The only exception I would make is Martin Lapointe (as well as he is playing right now) and of course the bubble players like Donato, Grosek, and Zamuner. Maybe Gill.

Here's my proposal of 3-way deal with Colorado

Colorado - Lapointe, Kolzig
Washington - Skoula, Tanguay, Zamuner, Hilbert
Boston - Gonchar, Zubrus, Was 4th

Does that work out? I dunno...looks ok to me

Knuble-Thornton-Murray
Samsonov-Zinovjev-Zubrus
Axelsson-Rolston-Bergeron
Donato-Green-McCarthy

Gonchar-Boynton
McGillis-Jillson
O'Donnell-Gill

Old
10-26-2003, 09:04 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

B's get Morris and Sutherby for Rolston and Morrisson??? wowwwowoowowowowow.The Caps get HOSED in this deal.Colorado ***** the house by getting the two best players and not having to give up any of their top end players.If this trade goes through, I am denouncing the NHL all together.

Old
10-26-2003, 09:07 AM
misterjaggers

Putting aside all the complex deals being discussed, I'm sure the Avs would deal for Kolzig.

And Gonchar would be a nice addition to the Bruins' line-up, but doubt MOC would pay the high price.

I expect Rolston to re-sign with the Bruins when his present contract expires. He feels appreciated in Boston, something he didn't feel with his previous teams. And he doesn't like being shuttled around.

Old
10-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Pielsman

How about Gill and a prospect/ pick for Gonchar ?

That would get Gill "away" from playing aginst Jagr (kind of like when the "Gretzky-Kings" traded for Kasper) and we get the threat from the point we need.

Ideas ? -Piels

Old
10-26-2003, 10:58 AM
neelynugs

i think it would cost us gill, morrisonn and our #1 to get gonchar. i'd do it yesterday.

Old
10-26-2003, 03:26 PM
Michael Karlstrom II

vCash:
One thing we have to keep in mind with Gonchar is he will be a 30 year old free agent this season. Under the current CBA rules this would allow his team to hold preferred negotiation rights with him.

I can't imagine the players agreeing to a new CBA that includes any type of salary cap controls unless they get a reduced age on UNrestricted free agency.

Any trade for Gonchar should be based on the formula for UFA rentals.

Gill and a first would seem about right.

Boston has room to take on salary. Gonchar would be a MEGA level improvement over Berard. Give him the 1.8 mill we were saving for Berard and the 1.8 or whatever it is Gill is making these days and salary is about a wash for this season.

Even if Gonchar leaves next season the market will be flooded with UFA... we will find someone to replace Gill.

Gonchar is a legit number 1 dman who can log an effective 25 minutes a game and is an offensive force both on the PP and at even strength. His defensive game isn't as rounded or as solid as that of Lidstrom or Pronger... but his overall net value to the team isn't far removed from that of these more acclaimed defenders.

I think Gonchar could end up attracting some serious consideration on the trade market. If so... the price for him could go up.

If a team was willing to sign him for whatever he wanted next season we might be out of the equastion all-together.

It will be insteresting to see how it all plays out.

In response to the origional Taz proposal here I will tweak things a little.

I do think Colorado probably gets too much of the deal here...

Let's give them Kolzig and O'Donnell instead.

I can't really see Washington being crazy for Rolston in a season they are looking to be a lottery team.

let them have their pick of whatever forward prospect they want from us [exception of Bergeron] Skoula from Colorado [continues to fall out of favor] the rights to Bryan Berard and the Bruin's first round pick this year.

Skoula/Berard will cost together roughly what Gonchar will and fill two holes. I would guess the Forward would probably be Huml or Samuelsson... both of whom I think are ready to be regulars on a crappy team now. The first probably won't be all that high but its a deep draft... the key for the Caps is increasing assets and gutting payroll while they try for first overall. They can replace Jagr/Gonchar/Kolzig in the UFA market next year.

As for Boston... we are giving up OD and his near 3 million salary and a top forward prospect and a first rounder. We get Gonchar back and a mid round pick like a 5th or something from Colorado if they resign OD next year.

Ultimately Colorado gives up Skoula for Kolzig and takes the O'Donnell salary from us so we have room for Gonchar.

We part with two prospects, the rights to a player we have no intention of signing, and one of our most overpaid players all to add a difference maker for this season.

Colorado gets a goaltender who has been good enough to get to the cup finals before for a 4th d-man,,,, and manage to replace the fourth d-man with a guy who adds a little grit to a team needing a little grit.

Colorado eats a major contract increase here... but a team doesnt sign Kariya and Selanne unless they are shooting for the cup. Can't waste the big dollars being spent already by worrying about a few pennies later.

Old
10-27-2003, 06:25 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
I would say it is too late to pick up Gonchar. Too late because he will be exiting his peak years when the Bruins most need him.

While I understand that the team is looking interesting this year, I still say this is not their year. If you are excited about the addition of Bergeron and Jillson and Raycroft, just imagine in a couple years when they add in (hopefully) Morrisonn, Toivonen, Stuart and who knows what else. At that time, Gonchar will be into his 30's.

I would not panic and add a player like this right now. We're stocked with D-men, and guys like Jillson and Jonsson may provide what Gonchar does now. If you have to go with another dman, go for someone like Derek Morris (as Taz suggests) or even Brad Stuart or Klesla.

However, I'm thinking about the price it would cost to acquire such a player... not good. It seems to me like the Bruins long-term strength is from the net out, even though some of that is predicated on the success of prospects. I'm worried about trading offensive players to further increase the strength of the defense. If we get to the trade deadline, and there appears to be some good reason to consider trading a Rolston, Lapointe, or Murray, I would probably advocate dealing for a forward unless its just a no brainer deal.

Closed Thread