HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

who would you pair ozy with?

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Large_Farva*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Large_Farva*
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
I consider Tyutin, Poti, Roszival, and Pock all offensive. Now add another, that's 5.
I consider Poti offensive minded (doesn't put up enough offense) and Pock offensive. I consider Rozvival and Tyutin offensively gifted but more defensive minded.

Old
03-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
What I'd do is Ozo-Kaspar, Roszival-Tyutin and Poti-Malik, simply because I don't like putting tyutin with Poti (we saw how it brought Tyutin's game down earlier in the year). But, my guess is Ozo-Kaspar, Roszival-Malik and Tyutin-Poti.
While I agree that Poti and Tyutin were not a good pair--and, as far as I'm concerned, should not be paired together again now--I think Poti is a big reason why Strudwick has looked so good. Poti is playing very responsibly and not taking chances because Strudwick is so slow and would be exposed if Poti began taking chances offensively.

It will be interesting to see if Poti's offensive game picks up when he is paired with another more mobile defenseman.

Old
03-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27
Am I the only one here who is just appalled by the play of Strudwick? The guy is noticeably slower than just about anyone else on the rink, and like it or not, his lack of skill just simply does not mesh well with the style this team plays. I am also not sold on the "toughness" he brings to the lineup. He is too slow to actually lay the body, and he has fought what, 5 times or so?

While a player like Gauthier would have been ideal, I don't think anyone here would have been willing to give up Graham, a 2nd and a 3rd to get him. Even if that trade was made, does one "physical" defenseman change the face of the team? The Rangers have gone with a very distinct philosophy this season and it has worked for the most part. Sandis Ozolinsh fits perfectly and cost very little, so I am a very happy fan right now.

Let's Go Rangers!
I completely agree with you about Strudwick--he's a journeymen defenseman who has played over his head this season. But, the more he's been in the lineup, the more his weaknesses--especially his skating abilty--are exposed. If Ozolinsh can regain some of the form he showed in his career, he should fit in very well, especially given the game plan the Rangers have had all season.

As for defensive pairings: in my opinion, to get the most out of the defensemen the team has, Malik and Roszival have to be broken up. Poti and Tyutin don't fit well together and I doubt that Ozolinsh would work well with Poti either. I would keep Tyutin and Kaspar together--they've been our best pair over the last 6+weeks--and try Poti and Malik together. Malik has been very steady and while not all that fast, can get into position defensively in order to give Poti some more room to jump into the offense a little more. Or I could also see Poti and Roszival--Roszival's offense has completely disappeared and he might as well concentrate on defense anyway. I could also imagine Tyutin and Malik together too, if the desire to play Ozolinsh with someone he knows becomes overwhelming.

Old
03-10-2006, 11:16 PM
SML

You realize if you keep Kaspar and Tyutin together, and put Poti with Malik, you're leaving Roszival with Ozolinsh? We all know that the stats flat out lie when it comes to Roszival. They lead you to believe he is a rock in his own end when he is far from it. I say you leave Malik and Rosz together. If it's not broke, don't mess with it. Kaspar can play with Ozo, and Tyutin, if he knows he's supposed to be the "safe" guy, can back up Poti. What I want to know is what happens if Staal gets chance to come up at all, then where do we go?

Old
03-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

You won't find me defending Roszival or advocating that he be re-signed. But, clearly, Renney likes him and he's going to continue to play 20+ minutes a night. As far as I'm concerned, he needs to sink or swim without Malik. I'm much more concerned about seeing Tyutin stay with a partner he's comfortable with (and has been very productive with too) and making sure that Ozolinsh has the room he needs to be successful (if he still has some of what made him successful in the past). Leaving Malik and Roszival together makes it almost impossible to avoid pairing Ozolinsh and Poti or Tyutin and Poti (or god forbid Poti and Ozolinsh) together. And that would be worse for the team in my estimation than breaking Malik and Roszival up.

Old
03-10-2006, 11:43 PM
SML

If you're talking about after this season, I would tend to agree with you. For now and through the playoffs, I think we have to kind of dance with who brought us this far. Roszival gambled this year by signing a lowball contract and trying to play his way back from injury. Well, it worked. Statistically, he's having a great year. He should be due for quite a raise, probably twice what he's making now. I don't think I bring him back at that price. If playing with Malik can do what it's done for him, it could do the same for Ozo, or Tyutin, or Staal for that matter. Plus, I'm sure Sather and his surrogate brains will look heavily into adding a true #1 guy this off season. So yeah, even though alot of outsiders are going to look at the move and scratch their heads, letting him go explore other options is probably the right move, since Kaspar, Malik, and Ozo are all locked in to 2.5 mil+ contracts and would be very difficult to move.

Old
03-10-2006, 11:58 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
If you're talking about after this season, I would tend to agree with you. For now and through the playoffs, I think we have to kind of dance with who brought us this far. Roszival gambled this year by signing a lowball contract and trying to play his way back from injury. Well, it worked. Statistically, he's having a great year. He should be due for quite a raise, probably twice what he's making now. I don't think I bring him back at that price. If playing with Malik can do what it's done for him, it could do the same for Ozo, or Tyutin, or Staal for that matter. Plus, I'm sure Sather and his surrogate brains will look heavily into adding a true #1 guy this off season. So yeah, even though alot of outsiders are going to look at the move and scratch their heads, letting him go explore other options is probably the right move, since Kaspar, Malik, and Ozo are all locked in to 2.5 mil+ contracts and would be very difficult to move.
So hopefully the defense will be Kaspar, Malik, Ozo, Tyutin, Staal and a UFA next yr (Hopefully Redden or Chara). That is very solid

Old
03-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Fletch

Ozo with Poti...

would be the most logical as the other two pairs seem to have chemistry (why disrupt more than one line when you don't have to - Ozo's not bringing a heck of a lot more to the 'D', so keeping the continuity as much as possible may make the most sense). But, Strudwick was only playing about 13-14 minutes per game, and Ozo's a 20 minute guy. Somebody who should be getting the minutes will get the shaft.

Old
03-11-2006, 10:01 AM
True Blue

It is interesting to see how Renney will handle it. Ozo and Poti as a pair has a chance to be a disaster in the defensive zone, as you will be asking Poti to be the defensive conciousness of the pair. The question that is asked is two fold:
1. Will Renney break up the other two pairings and mess with what has been working for Ozo? If he is not breaking up Malik/Rozsival & Kasper/Toots, then Ozo goes w/ Poti. Which leads to
2. If the defensive pairings are not broken up, Malik/Rozsival have been on the ice w/ Jagr the majority of the time. In order to maximize Ozo, one would think that Renney would want him out w/ Jagr. Will he unweld the Malik/Rozsival pairing from the Jagr like and play Ozo there? Or will he keep it the same and have Ozo skate with primarily the 2nd line?

Old
03-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Fletch

Poti has been playing...

the defensive defenseman role...it shouldn't be an different. It's the defensive-minded system, and Poti, positionally, has been playing it well. Ozo has played in a similar system in Anaheim, going to the finals a couple seasons ago. Hopefully he can play within it. I don't think it would be any more a disaster than any other pairing since Poti has been playing as good defensively, as an individual, as anybody else on this team.

Old
03-11-2006, 11:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...98#post4845798

Post says Ozo will play with either Tytutin or Kaspar.

03-11-2006, 12:29 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
would be the most logical as the other two pairs seem to have chemistry (why disrupt more than one line when you don't have to - Ozo's not bringing a heck of a lot more to the 'D', so keeping the continuity as much as possible may make the most sense). But, Strudwick was only playing about 13-14 minutes per game, and Ozo's a 20 minute guy. Somebody who should be getting the minutes will get the shaft.
Fletch, you've been around here longer than me, and I respect your opinion, but I find it hard to believe that anyone can link the phrase "most logical" with the idea of pairing Poti and Ozolinsh, short of a contest for the worst +/- rating in the league.

Old
03-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Fletch

I really don't think...

that would be a bad pairing. Two years ago? Yes, that would be crazy. Today, in a more defensive system, with forward support, with the forward's ability to clear the puck, and with a good goaltender, it wouldn't hurt, in my opinion. Strudwick was not a very good defenseman. He was pretty immobile and I do not recall him always masking Poti's mistakes. Poti's held his own and has stayed within the system. If Ozo can do that, he'll be fine and it doesn't matter which line he's on, so my 'logic' was why break up two lines when bringing in one guy? Toots is finally playing like the defenseman we all hoped he'd be - and has become comfortable with Kaspar. Rozsival has looked a bit lost without Malik. So why not keep those two pairs together and maintain some continuity?

Old
03-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Matsi
got paws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
I think my feelings on Kaspar are pretty well known. I think he's a dirty player (which I don't mind) and a dishonorable one (which I do), but you can't deny that he's played the aggitator role as well as you possibly can this year. His brand of play agrivates and distracts the other team, but it hasn't gotten the Rangers in trouble. I don't really know where your getting this from.

I'm referring to his antics during the olympics, for example during the semi-finals vs. Finland... you don't want a player to put you behind the eight ball because he can't control his emotions... to me that would be too much a risk, especially during crunch time...

Closed Thread