HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whomever's calling the shots [Sather]...

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2006, 07:19 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Whomever's calling the shots [Sather]...

..We can't complain. No longer is it the same ole Rangers, pilfering the minors for has-been NHL stars.

Quote:
"We didn't want to give up a whole lot to get him," Sather said, "and I think we accomplished that. There were guys that called on Staal, Montoya, Korpikoski, but we didn't want to give them up. We kicked the tires for a lot of defensemen, but the prices were high for defensemen who were going to be free agents at the end of the year, and we didn't want to give up a first or second round pick for them. He fit the bill pretty well for us, [especially] when we started to look at the market value of people who are going to be around for only the next 22 games." From Blueshirt Bulletin
It's so close we can taste it, and some of us may even be dreaming Cup. But we need to remember that the Ranger's have to position themselves to be better next year than this.

The Rangers said they have a philosophy to stay with the youth, and they are sticking to it.

Old
03-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev
..We can't complain. No longer is it the same ole Rangers, pilfering the minors for has-been NHL stars.

It's so close we can taste it, and some of us may even be dreaming Cup. But we need to remember that the Ranger's have to position themselves to be better next year than this.

The Rangers said they have a philosophy to stay with the youth, and they are sticking to it.

How does a mid-30's Ozo with a 3 mill contract for next year mean "stay" with youth...I would have kept the 3rd rounder because Ozolinsh will not help us win in the POs and thus no reason to trade for him

Old
03-09-2006, 07:32 PM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
How does a mid-30's Ozo with a 3 mill contract for next year mean "stay" with youth...I would have kept the 3rd rounder because Ozolinsh will not help us win in the POs and thus no reason to trade for him
Maybe he meant stay with as in not trade any of the youth?

Old
03-09-2006, 07:34 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
I'd say that not moving any prospects or picks (I think you have to combine these two picks and call it a Ville for Ozo swap) despite being in the thick of the playoff hunt staying with youth. I'm sure there where alot of temptations to move young assets for veterans, I'm pretty impressed that they didn't jump at any of them.

As for who's in charge, acording to ESPN, Maloney orchestrated these moves. Seeing as Maloney and Renney have been in charge of scouting and player evaluation for a while now, I think it's safe to say that Maloney is the defacto GM. I'm begining to wonder how long it's going to be before Sather officially steps down.

Last edited by xander: 03-09-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old
03-09-2006, 07:36 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

No youth was traded.

Ozolinsh is 33 with a 2.75 mil contract (net 2.05 mil - Ville's 700k). I am not trying to evaluate the Ozolinsh trade, theres another thread for that.

Old
03-09-2006, 07:37 PM
shoothepuck

Like the trade or not, no youth was given up in the trade. NY said they wouldn't make a big deal and they didn't. His salary, 2.75mil. is a wash if you factor in -750k Ville, and -2.3mil.Poti, if he walks.

Old
03-09-2006, 07:40 PM
BigE

Taste what? A cup? Certainly you jest.

The playoffs, MAYBE. We need to win a few more games first, however.

Old
03-09-2006, 07:52 PM
bubba5

A third rounder is nothing for this, considerig we got this for Nemmo. We gave nothing up, how much longer do you think this team will be together, Jagr is not 28, none of the top line players, except prucha are under 30, so this year or next year is the chance for this team to do something before the next generation starts stepping in.

Lets win it this YEAR!!!!

Old
03-09-2006, 07:52 PM
DutchShamrock

I think it's easy to forget about the horrendous era we just left behind. This season's success is going to many of the fans' heads but fortunately not Renney, Maloney or Sather. Just like the report stated, the price was just too high to get exactly what we "needed". Imagine if Sather traded for Gathier and paid the price Clark did or if we pried Leetch away for Sauer and a pick. There would be an uproar and I think it's safe to say that for some Sather/Maloney are in a no-win situation. I think many of you will say in the same breath that the team must improve but not at the expence of youth. Impossible. We picked up an offensive defenseman that can run our powerplay. Given the fact that we have the least productive defense and no quarterback for the pp I think it was a decent trade. Ozylinch won a cup and went to the finals with Carolina and I believe Anaheim. Not bad. I think we will deal away Sandis in the offseason or if the deal was made with the decision to walk away from at least Poti, maybe Roszival and Studwick as well. It wouldn't be that much of a problem to deal Ozylinch away for nothing in the event we sign a stud D-man.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:26 PM
BwayBshirt

we all should come to the conclusion that the rangers did the right thing here at the deadline because no matter what happens the rest of the way here they couldn't have done anything else that's reasonable.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:27 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5
A third rounder is nothing for this, considerig we got this for Nemmo. We gave nothing up, how much longer do you think this team will be together, Jagr is not 28, none of the top line players, except prucha are under 30, so this year or next year is the chance for this team to do something before the next generation starts stepping in.

Lets win it this YEAR!!!!
Are you Neil Smith?

Old
03-09-2006, 08:44 PM
The Dawg*

i like what sather said a lot. i found it weird that he mentioned he didnt want to give up that much more for ozloinsh. you usually just keep it to yourself- you want to keep the player very confident of his abilities.

Old
03-09-2006, 09:16 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
Are you Neil Smith?
who wants to know?

Old
03-09-2006, 09:29 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

What Sather said in the opening post is exactly what I think most were praying and hoping he was thinking. Thank God Sather was thinking just like the fans were.

Old
03-09-2006, 10:00 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch
What Sather said in the opening post is exactly what I think most were praying and hoping he was thinking. Thank God Sather was thinking just like the fans were.

i dont like the move. The Flyers and Devils gotten more physical. And the Rangers gotten a PP QB which we need but we could have gotten a physical dman as well. Maybe Sather's plan is to call up one of Rullier or Baranka for that spot. Rangers will get killed physically in the playoffs. Hollweg has to play alot in the playoffs, he will be a very important piece to the puzzel. Too bad we could not deal Hossa.

Old
03-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Large_Farva*

Send a message via MSN to Large_Farva*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
i dont like the move. The Flyers and Devils gotten more physical. And the Rangers gotten a PP QB which we need but we could have gotten a physical dman as well. Maybe Sather's plan is to call up one of Rullier or Baranka for that spot. Rangers will get killed physically in the playoffs. Hollweg has to play alot in the playoffs, he will be a very important piece to the puzzel. Too bad we could not deal Hossa.
Just the same old crap as always JOrt41. Could the Rangers have gotten a physical dman? Yes. But incase you haven't read this thread the prices for those dmen were outrageous.

The Rangers just added another dman. Why would Sathers plan be to call up Rullier or Baranka?? Oh and by the way you will be very dissapointed when you see how physical those two are.

Old
03-09-2006, 11:33 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoochiNorris
Just the same old crap as always JOrt41. Could the Rangers have gotten a physical dman? Yes. But incase you haven't read this thread the prices for those dmen were outrageous.

The Rangers just added another dman. Why would Sathers plan be to call up Rullier or Baranka?? Oh and by the way you will be very dissapointed when you see how physical those two are.
skoula aint that great, he is like poti.

Old
03-10-2006, 12:19 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Physical play has barely affected the Rangers negatively all season. Adding Klee and subtracting Brown is hardly improving. Gauthier and Dimitrakos won't send piss dribbling down anybody's leg. If other teams want to get more gun and toughness, fine. That usually comes with less speed and skill. From what we've seen this year, getting more physical will probably hamper other teams' abilities to hang with us.

"Toughness and Physicallilty" are words thrown around too often in hockey without truly considering their impact on the game. Adding Orr or Ruellier to the lineup will not bring instant cup credibility to New York. I truly believe that we dress the best (or close to it) possible lineup every night as far as the chips within the organization are concerned. Bringing in anybody from a team not managed by Burke would cost too much. He is quickly turning into the Mad Mike of the West. Hard to believe that Sather & Co. command so little trust this season. That isn't a commentary on any of the other previous seasons, but Sather/Maloney have are making great decisions 95% of the time since the last trade deadline. Who knows, we may not even play either Philly or Jersey in the playoffs. Keeping up with their "toughness" may hurt our chances of beating the other 5 teams that make it.

Old
03-10-2006, 12:26 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya
Physical play has barely affected the Rangers negatively all season. Adding Klee and subtracting Brown is hardly improving. Gauthier and Dimitrakos won't send piss dribbling down anybody's leg. If other teams want to get more gun and toughness, fine. That usually comes with less speed and skill. From what we've seen this year, getting more physical will probably hamper other teams' abilities to hang with us.

"Toughness and Physicallilty" are words thrown around too often in hockey without truly considering their impact on the game. Adding Orr or Ruellier to the lineup will not bring instant cup credibility to New York. I truly believe that we dress the best (or close to it) possible lineup every night as far as the chips within the organization are concerned. Bringing in anybody from a team not managed by Burke would cost too much. He is quickly turning into the Mad Mike of the West. Hard to believe that Sather & Co. command so little trust this season. That isn't a commentary on any of the other previous seasons, but Sather/Maloney have are making great decisions 95% of the time since the last trade deadline. Who knows, we may not even play either Philly or Jersey in the playoffs. Keeping up with their "toughness" may hurt our chances of beating the other 5 teams that make it.
I gotta say, Mugyera, that you and I are agreeing at almost every turn this past week. Well said.

Old
03-10-2006, 01:36 AM
eco's bones

I have to agree with Mugerya's comments. Ozolinsh was a surprise--I was basically thinking Witt, Mitchell, Kuba etc. To me though Ozolinsh can be a little lackadaisical when it comes to his own end but we'll see how it works out. He does (or did anyway) have great skill. And he does have a lot of playoff experience. In any case Mugerya is right in referencing many of these physical types that went for much more than we paid as limited players. Lukowich though is a player that I like a lot--believe he went to the Devils. That was a good pickup. I could have lived with sending a high pick for Witt but it's best that we kept it.

Anyway the Rangers have got where they have not because they're a tough team but because they are disciplined defensively, resilient and they tend to stick to their game plan. They rely on their talent to put them over the top. Their 3rd and 4th liners though have important roles to fill so everybody is relied on for something. We should make the playoffs--we could go somewhere when we get there or we might not. As far as the moves the Devils made though apart from Lukowich--nothing makes them substantially better. As for the Flyers--once again goaltending is a question mark. I don't think with all their tinkering they're really any better either. And their defense seems to have holes.

Old
03-10-2006, 01:38 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya

Old
03-10-2006, 02:02 AM
kickice

Send a message via MSN to kickice
it doesn't really matter what Sather says or does, some are going to whine about it.

If he'd have gone for a bigger name d-man - he'd have had to trade a top pick, and probably a decent prospect too. So people woulda whined about that.

If he'd gone for (and as he tried to do I believe), some of the other d-men going, they'd be in a bidding war - and would have overpayed with picks and / or playres. People would have whined about that.

So what does he do - he doesn't overpay, but still manages to get another d-man in (something we did need), and some whine about that.

We are doing better this year than we expected - lets be pleased about that. JUST to get into the playoffs would be one hell of an achievment for this team. Lets not get to big for our boots, and get delussions of grandeur.

This team remains a work in progress, and that is no problem - and this deadline has passes without any damage to our foundations. That to me was the most important thing.

So credit to Sather for that.

Old
03-10-2006, 07:32 AM
bathgate

Since joining the boards this summer, thankfully I've found passionate fans like myself, I have preached building a core nucleus for the future. The great dynasties of the past, Islanders, Oilers, Canadians, built from within. Accordingly, I can't complain about the non moves. As far as toughness, too little credit is given to the team. Nylander played exceptional hockey for the Bruins in the playoffs. He was their top playoff performer. We'll surprise some people in the playoffs. The team has a blueprint for success. Keep to it.

Old
03-10-2006, 10:28 AM
uccman39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate
Since joining the boards this summer, thankfully I've found passionate fans like myself, I have preached building a core nucleus for the future. The great dynasties of the past, Islanders, Oilers, Canadians, built from within. Accordingly, I can't complain about the non moves. As far as toughness, too little credit is given to the team. Nylander played exceptional hockey for the Bruins in the playoffs. He was their top playoff performer. We'll surprise some people in the playoffs. The team has a blueprint for success. Keep to it.
I agree.....just making the playoffs this year would be an acheivement few would have though possible last September...there are several guys this year who have been given the chance (Lundqvist, Prucha, Moore) and have excelled..give the program a chance and stop trying to bring back the past (I love Leetch, but where did he get us the last seven years)

Closed Thread