HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hollweg Hit

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Edge

vCash: 500
It's getting to the point where you can't hit anyone at all without someone thinking it's dirty.

Both hits were clean, they were just VERY good hits. That's hockey, these guys aren't playing ping pong.

Old
03-10-2006, 11:20 AM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
regarding your second paragraph, after he threw those hits and the game turned physical i kind of thought back to all the people who said that we needed players who can throw checks and play physical so we can "protect" our other players. we can kind of see how that worked out...in this case it caused MORE physical play against our star players.
Yeah, if anything, I think it showed that our core guys are too easily rattled by physical play. Jagr was knocked down, not destroyed, yet he was in absolute shock that someone actually touched him. Hollweg did what he could to respond but he's one man against at least 5-10 solid physical players on the other side. Once ATL picked up the hitting again, Jagr spent more time with his stick around someones waste (that or a hot oven, you decide ) than he did trying to help us win. Kasparaitis was doing the same thing trying to unload on people instead of playing defense.

New Jersey clearly outclassed us in the physical department, and Atlanta didn't so much as blink when we tried to respond. It doesn't bode well in my opinion.

Old
03-10-2006, 11:22 AM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
It's getting to the point where you can't hit anyone at all without someone thinking it's dirty.

Both hits were clean, they were just VERY good hits. That's hockey, these guys aren't playing ping pong.
Your comment just reminded me of this: Romanian Hockey BRAWL

Talk about not being able to take a hit. The one at the blueline reminded me of that Jagr hit a little: hands a little high, half-assed check.

**** just goes crazy after that - sickening.

Old
03-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
Your comment just reminded me of this: Romanian Hockey BRAWL

Talk about not being able to take a hit. The one at the blueline reminded me of that Jagr hit a little: hands a little high, half-assed check.

**** just goes crazy after that - sickening.
Well it's def. European hockey, half the guys want to swing their stick like a weapon and the other half look like they've never taken a swing in their life

Old
03-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Yureeka47*

Send a message via MSN to Yureeka47*
That was by far the best shift by any third liner or fourth liner on the Rangers, all season. He instantly stood up for our star and knocked exelby OUT! It was fantastic. That should really get the point across, DONT TOUCH OUR JAGR!

Old
03-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yureeka47
That was by far the best shift by any third liner or fourth liner on the Rangers, all season. He instantly stood up for our star and knocked exelby OUT! It was fantastic. That should really get the point across, DONT TOUCH OUR JAGR!
And it was done cleanly and without taking a penalty, that's what I've been saying all along. That's going to be very important during the grind.

Old
03-10-2006, 12:03 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Both hits were dirty, the elbow to XLB and the flying leap into Kozlov. Fortunately XLB did not sustain a concussion and should not miss a game.

I would get tickets to the game on Sunday if you can. Many Thrashers were very upset with the Hollweg hit, and plan on getting their pound of flesh. If either team gets a commanding lead, expect this game to get out of hand.
Heh. I mentioned that I was listening to the Atl feed on satalite and they called the hit on Exleby dirty. The guy said "I am totally biased here, but it was a dirty hit." He simply raved about the Kozlov hit and insisted it was clean. The fans were going nuts and really p.o.ed, but even the homer didn't see it your way.

Old
03-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Pogo

Wow red dudes totally whooped the white guys butts, also some very dangerous stick swinging there (other than the crazy death threat guy at the end).
GOOD STUFF

Old
03-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Both hits were dirty, the elbow to XLB and the flying leap into Kozlov. Fortunately XLB did not sustain a concussion and should not miss a game.

I would get tickets to the game on Sunday if you can. Many Thrashers were very upset with the Hollweg hit, and plan on getting their pound of flesh. If either team gets a commanding lead, expect this game to get out of hand.

Old
03-10-2006, 12:15 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Quote:

I know, what the f? If you land a solid big hit people are calling it a minor, or more, you land a hip check then people are calling for a major.

What the hell happened to liking big hits?

Old
03-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Edge

I think the average fan loves when his team does the hitting, it's when you actually get hit back that people tend to get "funny".

Brian Leetch, when he was younger especially, used to deliver a hell of a hip check.

They're legal.

Hockey has to make sure that they don't get ego's like Baseball when guys get hit. Beaning a guy or going inside used to be a way to buy some space and play your game, now you throw inside and guys act like you've insulted them. They've gotten used to baseball scoring becoming an arcade game.

Hockey has to be careful they don't start taking clean hits out of games and the league becomes a skill competition.

Old
03-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Well it's def. European hockey, half the guys want to swing their stick like a weapon and the other half look like they've never taken a swing in their life
The goaltender in red looked like he was splitting wood. Kind of alarming to see that many sticks being swung.

The Hollweg hit, Kaspar's on Marshall, Ruutu's hit on Jagr, one thing sticks out to me. All the hitters could have taken the body, but took the neck and head (or 'shoulder' as some insist) instead. I personally have a problem with it.

Old
03-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
The goaltender in red looked like he was splitting wood. Kind of alarming to see that many sticks being swung.

The Hollweg hit, Kaspar's on Marshall, Ruutu's hit on Jagr, one thing sticks out to me. All the hitters could have taken the body, but took the neck and head (or 'shoulder' as some insist) instead. I personally have a problem with it.
I agree, that was always my problem with guys like Stevens. Not that he'd hit high everytime, but those ones where he knew the guy was vulnerable(like the Lindros playoff hit) he hit with no regard for the players safety.

Th best hitters i've seen utilize the power of their legs to impede forward progress.

Old
03-10-2006, 01:04 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I'll post a video in a little bit.

Old
03-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Quote:

You are taking this too much serious. It's some Rumunian league or something. Nobody in "civilized Europe hockey country" would swing with sticks like this

Old
03-10-2006, 01:18 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
I'll post a video in a little bit.
I'd def. be interested in seeing the three hits again. Can you make it so we can do the "Save as Target" thingy? I'm building a collection of hockey videos and that shift definitely deserves to be in there. Spezza, Sid and Ove are filling the folder currently, need some tough guys in there too.

Old
03-10-2006, 01:21 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik

You are taking this too much serious. It's some Rumunian league or something. Nobody in "civilized Europe hockey country" would swing with sticks like this
The crazed bloody guy at the end looks like he's straight out of Rollerball.

That's tough to see all those guys standing around watching the last two members of their team getting piled. The stubborn Canuck in me wants to make that four on one a four on two, regardless of the beating I receive. We're a team gaht dammit!

Oddly enough that is how I got into my first scrap: my defenseman had just creamed their star player with a nice Blake-like hip check at the hash. Just as he flipped the puck out of the zone, two of their biggest goons came flying, fresh off the bench and drove him into the ice right in the slot. After a good 20 seconds of seeing two-handers to the back and head I'd had enough, and grabbed the closest guy and threw him off. Unfortunately, for myself he was the biggest guy on their team at 6'4" 235lbs (235 was generous)...needless to say at 5'8 180lbs, it wasn't much of a throw off. Immediately the ******* dropped his glove and ripped by mask off. A line brawl insued, while I tried my best to pull a Domi (stiff arming the ******* and spinning until he got tired). He realized that I wasn't really that interested in going, so he threw a couple at the back of my head and then stopped after I missed with one BIG haymaker (cheeseboard on).

End result: 160 minutes in penalties (per side) a few suspensions, many game misconducts, and a good story for me and the boys! My defenseman brings it up everytime I see him; how I saved his ***. Leverage.

Last edited by BigE: 03-10-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old
03-10-2006, 01:22 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
I'd def. be interested in seeing the three hits again. Can you make it so we can do the "Save as Target" thingy? I'm building a collection of hockey videos and that shift definitely deserves to be in there. Spezza, Sid and Ove are filling the folder currently, need some tough guys in there too.
I'll try to. Do you know where I can upload it to allow that? I was going to put it on putfile or something like that.

Old
03-10-2006, 01:31 PM
BigE

Not the slightest idea, I'm afraid.

Old
03-10-2006, 01:35 PM
djjagr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
I'll try to. Do you know where I can upload it to allow that? I was going to put it on putfile or something like that.
give me the video and i will host it on my site if u want. can you zip and email?

Old
03-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn

Good, take some penalties like Brashear, and watch what happens.

Old
03-10-2006, 01:39 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjagr
give me the video and i will host it on my site if u want. can you zip and email?
PM me your email address and I'll zip it up and send. I just have to let it finish encoding to an mpg format so everyone can see it.

Old
03-10-2006, 01:39 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Good, take some penalties like Brashear, and watch what happens.
Which is nice when it happens, but I expect discipline from teams in the playoffs where this is concerned. Everyone realizes that it is "a long series" and there is plenty of time to return a favour. Holly's physical play seemed to work to our disadvantage after Atlanta established a clean, physical game of their own.

Old
03-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Ola

Quote:
Yeah, see that kind of stuff all the time in the SEL...

Damn, I've seen guys go nuts before. I've seen some fercious brawls from minor leagues in Qubeck. But thoose guys don't fight, it looks like they all are trying to kill each other... I wouldn't have been suprised if someone pulled out a knife from his pants during that brawel.

Old
03-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Which is nice when it happens, but I expect discipline from teams in the playoffs where this is concerned. Everyone realizes that it is "a long series" and there is plenty of time to return a favour. Holly's physical play seemed to work to our disadvantage after Atlanta established a clean, physical game of their own.
Not really, no one scored after, and it seemed to get Jagr going, he just couldn't finish. Plus, it even got Kovalchuk to take a penalty, and I noticed the Thrasher players shying away from hits.

Closed Thread