HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Fantasy land- Malkin

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2006, 11:32 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

vCash: 500
Fantasy land- Malkin

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't go after this guy, but if Pitts decided to make him available what do you think it would cost us? Granted the guy hasn't proven anything yet and is still a prospect, I still think he'll command a king's ransom. I think he'd be a great fit here since we have two projected 2nd line centers(O'Marra, Nokie) but not that first line center. Let's say this package would get it done:

1st round pick(8-15 range), Nokeleinen, Jay Blay, Comeau, 2nd round next year... would you do it? Would it cost more or less?

Losing Nokie hurts because I think he'll be a great player, but so will O'Marra and I see him being a future captain for us and a great 2nd line player. Comeau is hit or miss. He can end up being a good 2nd or 3rd liner and played very well at the WJC, but I wouldn't mind parting with him in a trade. I love Blake and it would hurt to see him go, but I can see Bergenheim stepping up and filling his role. Less offense but more physicalness. The first round pick wouldn't hurt as much since this draft isn't very deep. Only way I wouldn't do this trade is if our pick is good enough to land us a guy like Staal. These lines would look pretty sweet next year though:

Tambs-Malkin-Nilsson
Satan-York-Hunter
Bergenheim-Yashin-FA/Colliton
Bates-Smith-Godard

We'd still have O'Marra and possibly Colliton waiting in the wings. Thoughts?

Old
03-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Mr.Brownov*

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Brownov*
NYI doesn't have what it takes to get someone like Malkin. Sorry

Old
03-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Isles72

lets just sign him after he plays 7 seasons (free agent)

by then ,Yash might be head coach

Old
03-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360
I still think he'll command a king's ransom.
Quote:
Let's say this package would get it done:

1st round pick(8-15 range), Nokeleinen, Jay Blay, Comeau, 2nd round next year... would you do it? Would it cost more or less?

It would cost a lot more then that I'm sure, Pens don't have a need for Blake either I wouldn't think...I would think you'd have to start the offer with Nilsson, Tambs, Grebeshkov...guys like that

Old
03-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Darth Milbury

You're talking about best prospect outside of the NHL. I think it would take AT LEAST:

O'Marra
Tambellini
Campoli
and a pick

Old
03-14-2006, 11:58 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Beam
I think DP, a 1st rounder and Nilsson would do it.

Old
03-14-2006, 11:58 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

alright EFF that then. I figured the Pens would look at it like they were trading Gretzky in his prime. Nilsson and Grebs should be off limits, and Tambs very close to it also. I think out of all our prospects these 3 guys will be the best NHLers.

Old
03-14-2006, 11:59 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

beach, would we be getting Fleury back? I doubt they'd be interested in Ricky unless they've completely given up on Fleury.

Old
03-14-2006, 12:01 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
I'm not saying we should or shouldn't go after this guy, but if Pitts decided to make him available what do you think it would cost us? Granted the guy hasn't proven anything yet and is still a prospect, I still think he'll command a king's ransom. I think he'd be a great fit here since we have two projected 2nd line centers(O'Marra, Nokie) but not that first line center. Let's say this package would get it done:

Losing Nokie hurts because I think he'll be a great player, but so will O'Marra and I see him being a future captain for us and a great 2nd line player. Comeau is hit or miss. He can end up being a good 2nd or 3rd liner and played very well at the WJC, but I wouldn't mind parting with him in a trade. I love Blake and it would hurt to see him go, but I can see Bergenheim stepping up and filling his role. Less offense but more physicalness. The first round pick wouldn't hurt as much since this draft isn't very deep. Only way I wouldn't do this trade is if our pick is good enough to land us a guy like Staal. These lines would look pretty sweet next year though:

Tambs-Malkin-Nilsson
Satan-York-Hunter
Bergenheim-Yashin-FA/Colliton
Bates-Smith-Godard

We'd still have O'Marra and possibly Colliton waiting in the wings. Thoughts?
I heavily doubt Malkin will be traded or much less shopped at all.

03-14-2006, 12:23 PM
selvirino

By all accounts Malkin is the best player outside the NHL, easily the best #1 center prospect. He's the total package, by far more talented than anyone in the Isles system. I can't see him being traded, unless the Flames were to offer a certain amazing rookie defenseman or the Caps a certain rookie winger.

Old
03-14-2006, 12:23 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
beach, would we be getting Fleury back? I doubt they'd be interested in Ricky unless they've completely given up on Fleury.
Well, of course we are just fantasizing here - I guess the deal would only happen if both the Isles and Pens thought their goalies were expendable - and that is a big if on both counts. But I'm not sure the Pens are sold on Fleury, and the deal I proposed might fly with the Pens. I'm not sure what we would do for a goalie though, other than take Fleury as part of the deal. (I'm not sold yet on DP either) If I were the Isles, would I do Malkin and Fleury for DP, Nilsson, and a 1st rounder? I don't think I could do it. Too much potential in DP and Nilsson.

Old
03-14-2006, 12:27 PM
My friend

With what it would take to get him?...Forget Malkin.

I don't want us to get into "prospect envy"

I am not trying to dog him, I just don't think we can afford to put all our chips in one basket. If we drafted him? Sure, but to trade a whole boatload of guys...I'm wary of that. Besides, they would not trade him in the same division.

Old
03-14-2006, 12:28 PM
selvirino

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach
Well, of course we are just fantasizing here - I guess the deal would only happen if both the Isles and Pens thought their goalies were expendable - and that is a big if on both counts. But I'm not sure the Pens are sold on Fleury, and the deal I proposed might fly with the Pens. I'm not sure what we would do for a goalie though, other than take Fleury as part of the deal. (I'm not sold yet on DP either) If I were the Isles, would I do Malkin and Fleury for DP, Nilsson, and a 1st rounder? I don't think I could do it. Too much potential in DP and Nilsson.
I love Nilsson's potential, but I'd do that trade in a heartbeat, unless the Isles #1 was in the top 2 of the draft. The Pens wouldn't, though, I'd venture to guess. Check out some Olympic footage of Malkin.

Old
03-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
Ive never seen a more appropriate thread title.

Ever.

Old
03-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
Honestly, if he doesn't want to play for Pittsburgh, I don't think it would take a "king's ransom" or anything close to it.

If he does want to play for Pittsburgh, it would be ludricous to think Pitt would trade him.

Don't know of negotiations, his reaction to Pitt, anything like that...just saying that it might not take a DiPietro/Nilsson/Comeau/Campoli/12 #1's if the guy simply says he doesn't want to go to Pitt.

Old
03-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Jaded-Fan

There have been numerous threads on this subject. It is flattering that you all like Malkin. But the reality is that absent a deal you would be unwilling to make, Malkin will be in a Pens' uniform. Think on it this way, if you had Crosby and Malkin, would you be looking to trade one saying, damn, two franchise centers, two franchise centers, I wonder what I could get for one of them because clearly we do not need two? For that matter would you trade him for the equivilent of what is in this thread? Well, neither would we.

PS: Malkin has said several times that he can not wait to get to Pittsburgh next year, so yes he wants to play here.

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 03-14-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old
03-14-2006, 12:46 PM
arby2222

Quote:
Originally Posted by My friend
With what it would take to get him?...Forget Malkin.

I don't want us to get into "prospect envy"

I am not trying to dog him, I just don't think we can afford to put all our chips in one basket. If we drafted him? Sure, but to trade a whole boatload of guys...I'm wary of that. Besides, they would not trade him in the same division.
i agree, while he might be good, he has never played a game in the nhl (the best league in the world by far) so no one knows how good he will be, plus he was in the olympics and didnt amaze anyoen there, so i agreed i wouldht be ready to give up the farm for 1 player

Old
03-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Although Im a little late on this conversation. I am alomost positive that if PITT even considered this deal they would ask for O'marra right off the bat.

Old
03-14-2006, 01:27 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Beam
no team in this league does.

malkin is untouchable unless someone is willing to throw 4 or 5 first rounders at him.

he's an absolute stud who's going to be better than crosby.

Old
03-14-2006, 09:19 PM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

While it is unlikely Malkin will be traded to the Isles, the idea expressed is not a bad one. I have been thinking the whole season that the Isles need to get another impact center.

My suggestion, especially since the salary dumps and player movements, would be to test the rumor surrounding the Sharks and Patrick Marleau.

Trade Satan and our first round pick (probable 10-15th) to the Sharks who are rumored to have interest in bringing in a top line winger to play with Thorton ( I know they have Cheechoo But that's the rumor) for Marleau.

Not Malkin but a young top line center.

Old
03-14-2006, 10:45 PM
My friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947
While it is unlikely Malkin will be traded to the Isles, the idea expressed is not a bad one. I have been thinking the whole season that the Isles need to get another impact center.

My suggestion, especially since the salary dumps and player movements, would be to test the rumor surrounding the Sharks and Patrick Marleau.

Trade Satan and our first round pick (probable 10-15th) to the Sharks who are rumored to have interest in bringing in a top line winger to play with Thorton ( I know they have Cheechoo But that's the rumor) for Marleau.

Not Malkin but a young top line center.
I like your line of thinking...We could also look at Brad Richards, -IF- they make him available, and trade Campoli, 1st round pick, and something else. Wishfull thinking, but more realistic than Malkin...Imagine if Pitt drafts EJ this year?! I swear it should be illegal to do that!

Old
03-14-2006, 10:51 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

That would be pretty sickening. Their success rides all on Fleury though. If he can turn into an elite goalie they will be a disgusting team for a long time.

Old
03-15-2006, 02:00 AM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
malkin,crosby for yashin!!!!!!

Old
03-15-2006, 06:37 AM
edallas

We don't have the players to trade for Malkin. I think the best thing we can do right now is to try and get another good pick in this draft by moving up in the draft. We have those extra 3rd. rd. picks. I kind of like our young players right now since the recent trades, no superstars but good players. I say we leave Dipietro alone. If he ever went in a trade(as some suggested), I dont know what this franchise would do. He is one of the keys to our furure!

Last edited by edallas: 03-15-2006 at 06:47 AM.
Closed Thread