HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where's the Heart

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2006, 09:41 PM
donelikedinner

vCash: 500
Where's the Heart

Nashville?

Old
03-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner
Friggin hell I love your new avatar.

The better question is where's the sense of urgency when this team is holding the lead?

Old
03-11-2006, 10:02 PM
sansan

I think that when they get the lead, instead of playing to win, they're playing not to lose. Like, they shock the hell out of themselves when they get the lead, then don't know what to do with it. Someone or something has to infuse some confidence into these guys. Maybe that's what's lacking.

Old
03-11-2006, 11:03 PM
TheKingPin

i agree sansan, they dont play like they do to win. Look at Carolina thye always play like they do to win, and when they dont they lose the lead.

My idea is that, being we need speed and fastness, bench Brasher and call up Ruzicka. I think it would chang the shpe of our team for the better...

Old
03-12-2006, 01:04 AM
goodrev

that is hitch's play style, he has repeatedly stated that he wants the team to sit on one goal and play defense... hopefully after the teams first round exit in the playoffs (if they make it) he will realize he is wrong and you just cant do it... otherwise we have to endure another season of this **** next year

Old
03-12-2006, 09:45 AM
priceperlb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrev
that is hitch's play style, he has repeatedly stated that he wants the team to sit on one goal and play defense... hopefully after the teams first round exit in the playoffs (if they make it) he will realize he is wrong and you just cant do it... otherwise we have to endure another season of this **** next year
What? When? Where? Are you absolutely sure that's his motto?

Old
03-12-2006, 11:30 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrev
that is hitch's play style, he has repeatedly stated that he wants the team to sit on one goal and play defense...
That WAS his philosophy for sure. Does it remain so? If it does, he must wake up and realize that sitting on leads in today's league is not the same as sitting on leads in last season's.

Hitchcock is a good, smart coach. I'd be surprised if he was too blind to see how the game is played now.

Old
03-12-2006, 12:07 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan
i agree sansan, they dont play like they do to win. Look at Carolina thye always play like they do to win, and when they dont they lose the lead.

My idea is that, being we need speed and fastness, bench Brasher and call up Ruzicka. I think it would chang the shpe of our team for the better...
that is why Eager should be playing. His physical play is contagious. He played with emotion every shift. As far as Ruzica, not sure. If he was calle dup he would get 8 minutes tops, will that help this team? doubtful.

Old
03-12-2006, 12:38 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansan
I think that when they get the lead, instead of playing to win, they're playing not to lose. Like, they shock the hell out of themselves when they get the lead, then don't know what to do with it. Someone or something has to infuse some confidence into these guys. Maybe that's what's lacking.
That's what I was wondering when I caught the Flyers-Habs on OLN last, up by 2 goals, at two different points, yet they kept letting the Habs back in, after awhile, I just wanted the Habs to win because the Flyers didn't seem to want the win, even with all the chances to bury it. Teams can't even sit on 2-3 goal leads and hope to win any longer.

Not sure if it's all the injuries or what, seemed like the team lacked a lot of drive in the 3rd. If I were the Flyers, I'd rather play NJ with home adv, than face the Sabres on the road in the 1st round.

Old
03-12-2006, 12:55 PM
TheKingPin

I would love it if Forsberg would stand up and say that the goal of every game was to win 10-0 and to play all out for the entire game. Never letting up or playigng safe. I have to agree with Torterella last season SAFE IS DEATH.

Old
03-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Lupul*

I'd like to see Forsberg return to his early season form.

Old
03-12-2006, 03:15 PM
priceperlb*

I'd like to see more of guinness' milk maid! Vavavoom!!!!!!!!

Old
03-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
That WAS his philosophy for sure. Does it remain so? If it does, he must wake up and realize that sitting on leads in today's league is not the same as sitting on leads in last season's.

Hitchcock is a good, smart coach. I'd be surprised if he was too blind to see how the game is played now.
Yeah he's said it a lot this year. He hasn't changed with the times and it's quite evident by watching the team on a regular basis. Anytime they get a lead, they stop competing. They sit back and play the boring Hitch-style defense and just let the other team come at them. In the new NHL as we know, no lead is safe, especially when you can't play illegal defense like the old days. Nearly every single Flyers game, they spend the late part of the 3rd period killing penalties because they've been forced to take illegal measures to slow down the onslaught (sometimes the calls are ********, but that's neither here nor there). I'd say one in every 15 games this isn't true, but generally, it's what they do.

Closed Thread