HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anyone here go from player to goalie?

Old
04-13-2006, 01:12 PM
Allsmokenopancake

vCash: 500
Anyone here go from player to goalie?

Anyone here convert to goalie. I am going to do it. I played soccer goalie back home in a competitive league. I know they position of football and hockey goalie are completely different, but I am hoping the reflexes and instinct part will help me.

So, just curious if anyone else has done it, how long before you felt comfortable, anything to watch out for.

Was it worth doing?

Allsmokenopancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 01:50 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
I went the other way (goalie to foreward) and play at a pretty high level. The biggest thing I'd say is the goalie MUST be one of the better skaters on the team to succeed. Without a good skating ability (which I'd imagine you have since you played out before) you will have trouble. Just remember that the begining is going to be very tough and you can't get down on yourself. It's really hard to say if it will be worth it to you, just have fun and don't take it too seriously at first.

edit: go over to the goaliestore.com board and read around. There's tons of stuff on equipment, technique etc.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 02:00 PM
terreur

I started playing hokcye when I was three as a forward and at the age of 8 after beign the best player of my team I decided to go goalie. We lost 8-0 while beign by far the best team in the league. I played another 4 games while our goalie was in vacation and realized I was never going to be a goalie

I've never been able to do the transition. And hope yours will be a lot better. And if that can help you in any way, my problem was that i couldn't move with the skates on. I am probably the best reflec golie of all my friends in the street, but with skates on it's a very different story.

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 09:50 AM
CaptBrannigan

I am in the process of going from forward to part-time goalie. Me and some friends are putting together a team 'just for fun' so it won't matter if some of the scores look funny. I've played once or twice before it's fun to play the game a totally different way.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote