HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pick your top 2 Kings blunders this season...

View Poll Results: What were the 2 biggest blunders the organization made in 2005-06
Signing Roenick 35 46.67%
Signing Bure 22 29.33%
Not signing a veteran defenseman either at the start of, or during the season 31 41.33%
Believing that two rookie goaltenders could carry the team through the playoffs 8 10.67%
Not making a coaching change at some point in the season 23 30.67%
One that I haven't mentioned (please specify in thread) 12 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Quattro

vCash: 500
1. Roenick
2. Attracting fans who can't seem to find a single positive thing to say about their own team.

Old
03-11-2006, 11:35 PM
willie

I still maintain - obviously - that the biggest blunder thus far has been the Parrish trade.

And, outside of that, I don't see any major missteps.

With Roenick we recieved a third rounder. Plus, it was more about the off-ice impacts as oppossed to on-ice. Like it or not, it is a business and from that perspective, the JR trade has been a success. And though his production has sucked, there are other more difficult aspects to gauge that he has contributed in.

Bure was a minor move that has had little detriment on the team. Plus you can't blame management for a guy getting injured.

This was a transitional year anyway so I like the goaltending decision. (what better alternatives were there really?)

I don't suscribe to the "kill-AM" crowd so I don't buy the coaching change necessity. However, without some tangible results in the spring, I would probably part ways. I do like Andy but change is necessary in coaching and AM may have run his course in LA.

The most luring one would be the defenseman. But looking at the market in the off-season, it is hard to blame DT too much. (particularly if he was looking ahead to next year's crop) But if he's willing to cough up 2.4 in the Sopel fiasco, the extra million or so to Hamrlik would have been well worth it.

Old
03-12-2006, 07:26 AM
THEKingsFanInRI
Waiting 4 next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
and Murray sitting Avery.
actually, PLAYING him is the bigger mistake.

Just look at the last two games....
two really stupid penalties against Detroit when the game was still early that cost the Kings some early SH time, and last night against the Blues he had those two offsides (that even Jimmy Fox commented on; I'm sure you all heard it and then yelled at your TV for Foxy to shut up ).

Not to mention a play in I think in the third period where he holds the puck in at the line (nice play, BTW) and heads for the net. He has lots of skating room, at least one passing lane AND the guy in front of him goes down to block the shot, so what does Captain Intangible do? He takes three strides right toward the player THEN shoots. He had tons of room and two options that should have come up before shooting.

He's useless and I hope that I am around to see all of the Sean Avery rump-swabs at the Crow Buffet when he costs us a playoff game or something really big like that.

Old
03-12-2006, 08:18 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Veteran d-man and the trade.
Concur.

Old
03-12-2006, 08:58 AM
BINGO

JR and Bure

Old
03-12-2006, 09:46 AM
King Blazer

Thanks for the poll/thread Tubby.

To those that are commenting about it being stupid and similar comments, honestly, I'm actaully a bit surprised. Yes, it appears that the Kings might get into the playoffs this season. Regardless of IF they make the playoffs, there are likely moves that the Kings made and perhaps didn't make that they might look back on and say didn't quite work out as they hoped (Roenick & Bure come to mind here).

Having said this, I think totally removing Boudreau from the organization was a blunder. He has years of experience as a head coach and developing players. Gilmore, Hubie and Hughes don't have that experience.

Many posters here and other places are quick to talk about the farm and promise it brings. Life on the farm isn't as great as some, through their comments, seem to think it is. If you don't believe me, ask others. Hell, ask Tubby. He visits the farm at least once a season maybe more if they get into the playoffs.

Holding on to Grebeshkov for the start of the season. It was apparent to many that he wasn't doing it in the Kings' system. He should have been dealt, perhaps in a package before the season started for the veteran d-man they were supposedly trying to acquire.

Old
03-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I can't belive this thread/poll was even made. This is a playoff bound team that has won 5 of it's last 6, just added firepower for the playoffs and just beat one of the hotter teams in hockey w/o 2 of it's first liners.

Sometimes I think some of you will still ***** if you just won the lottery.
This board has operated on the premise "If you don't have anything negative to say, don't say anything at all."

I disagree with you KJ, I CAN believe this thread was made.... I hope none of these people broke any bones when they fell off the bandwagon.

Old
03-12-2006, 11:15 AM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
Signing Valerie Bure, waiting until the deadline to add a D man (who is injured) so essentially the Kings had to deal with Dempsey/ Weaver for almost the whole season, and Murray sitting Avery.
This, I concur with totaly. (I know, I'm as stunned as you Johnny.) Not very worried about Sopel, wish it would have happened earlier.

Old
03-12-2006, 11:37 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania
This, I concur with totaly. (I know, I'm as stunned as you Johnny.) Not very worried about Sopel, wish it would have happened earlier.
i somewhat disagree. i think dempsey has played really well lately...i don't mind it if the kings go into the playoffs with dempsey as your #6.

the biggest kings blunder this year is one of their biggest blunder 4 seasons ago...not signing boucher to a contract and letting him walk and play for the stars...their cheif rival...as a result they're still paying for it this year.

03-12-2006, 12:50 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick74
i would pick other: "allowing you to be a fan and post ridiculous polls like this"
These are all really good and legimate questions or decisions, what got your panies in a bunch?

My vote for Roenick. He is almost slower than Robitaille this season! ...but flaps his mouth more than he can chew. Definetly one of the biggest blunders in the NHL this season.

Old
03-12-2006, 12:52 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFanInRI
actually, PLAYING him is the bigger mistake.

He's useless and I hope that I am around to see all of the Sean Avery rump-swabs at the Crow Buffet when he costs us a playoff game or something really big like that.
Avery really does have a lot of love to give, he just doesn't know where to put it.

Old
03-12-2006, 12:59 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
How does a team with a losing history have a bandwagon? Do the Clippers have a bandwagon? Die hard King fans, those of us who have been around before the uniform change-that's not including you KingsJohn-want to win a Cup. Merely making the playoffs or making moves that ensure the Kings make the playoffs and then get bounced in round 1 doesn't make me happy. Parrish' career high in points is 60, he's on pace for 54 points and a minus 18. Sopel makes 2.4 million and is on IR. I find it funny that the people praising this latest trade are the same people who have been saying the Kings should build through the draft. I would also bet these same people bashed the Islanders for over paying Sopel but now praise his acquisition.

Old
03-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen
Die hard King fans, those of us who have been around before the uniform change-that's not including you KingsJohn-want to win a Cup.
How do you have any idea how long I have been a Kings fan?

I have been a Kings fan for over 20 years

Old
03-12-2006, 02:31 PM
hattrick74

with all the whinning about firing the coaching staff, whats your plan after that? there arent many quality head coaches out there to hire...

Old
03-12-2006, 03:37 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
How do you have any idea how long I have been a Kings fan?

I have been a Kings fan for over 20 years
You've been a Kings fan for over 20 years and you're excited about acquiring a 60 point guy and a 2.4 million dollar dman? OK, then how do you see them doing in the playoffs based on their 1st round matchups right now? And I believe you are also a build from within guy yet the Kings have only 6 players on the roster who have been drafted and 1 of those is Luc. I see a vicious cycle, Pavel Rosa, Storr, Berg, Jokinen, when they are drafted they are the 2nd coming, yet when they are dealt they are extra pieces who will never fulfill their potential. I would have rather traded prospects for Luongo, a true building block, than for somebody who will probably walk based on the Kings past history. The thing that irks me the most about this trade is it appears to me the Kings will not be going after Chara or any of the premiere dmen and Joe Corvo will also walk away to cash in like I think Parrish will somewhere else. If those 2 guys walk there is no way this was a good trade for the Kings regardless of how Grebeshkov and Tambelinni turn out.

Old
03-12-2006, 03:40 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick74
with all the whinning about firing the coaching staff, whats your plan after that? there arent many quality head coaches out there to hire...
Did you know who Barry Melrose was before he became a head coach with the Kings?

Old
03-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Did you know who Barry Melrose was before he became a head coach with the Kings?
Better yet, did you know who Andy Murray was before he became coach of the Kings?

Old
03-12-2006, 04:13 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
The coaching got him in the door.

The hair closed it behind him.

Old
03-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
You've been a Kings fan for over 20 years and you're excited about acquiring a 60 point guy and a 2.4 million dollar dman?
Yes, I am excited that they are rolling the dice and making a run.
Is this the most talented Kings team ever as Lieweike claimed? No. Not by a long shot.

Outside of one bad month, this team has been one of the top 10 teams in the NHL. This team has balanced scoring and 3 of the 4 lines can score. Demitra is coming back and they are a much better team with him than without him. Why not add a piece and make a run? The team has missed the playoffs two seasons , why not reward the fans?

Parrish adds more balanced scoring. He will and actually the skill to park in front of the net on the PP. This team nees a guy that can finish in front of the net, Brown and Avery can't.

Sopel is also insurance against Corvo leaving this offseason. He is having a contract year and will likely get overpaid by a team like Chicago. Sopel is overpaid, he could help an awful powerplay and if Corvo bolts, the Kings aren't left holding their nuts like they were when Boucher left

Quote:
OK, then how do you see them doing in the playoffs based on their 1st round matchups right now?
If they finish 8: Detriot will destroy us. There is a better chance than not that we get swept.
If they finish 7: The Kings can beat Dallas. 5 or 6 games.
If they finish 6: Calgary could be trouble. They'll abuse us and if we make it out of the first round, they'll be walking wounded in the second.
If they finish 5: Nashville now has our number after we have theirs for years. This is the other team I don't want to face.
If they finish 4: Home ice against Colorado. We'll win. They aren't what used to be.
They won't catch Dallas.

Quote:
And I believe you are also a build from within guy yet the Kings have only 6 players on the roster who have been drafted and 1 of those is Luc. I see a vicious cycle, Pavel Rosa, Storr, Berg, Jokinen, when they are drafted they are the 2nd coming, yet when they are dealt they are extra pieces who will never fulfill their potential.
7 actually. You probably forgot Parros. It's no secret their drafting used to blow. They have the best farm system they have ever had on the way. Pavel Rosa, Storr, Berg and Jokinen all have the same thing in common. Not having developed in an organization with any development system, playing on independent teams and being rushed. Rosa was never any good, we ruined Berg, Storr rotted on the bench for too many years and is a headcase and Jokinen is pretty close to as advertised.

Quote:
I would have rather traded prospects for Luongo, a true building block, than for somebody who will probably walk based on the Kings past history.
I would have prefered to trade for Luongo too.

Quote:
The thing that irks me the most about this trade is it appears to me the Kings will not be going after Chara or any of the premiere dmen and Joe Corvo will also walk away to cash in like I think Parrish will somewhere else. If those 2 guys walk there is no way this was a good trade for the Kings regardless of how Grebeshkov and Tambelini turn out.
It's a gamble. There is a pretty good chance it'll turn out. Hopefully after after dealing with Milbury, Parrish likes it here. If they have some success in the playoffs and there is a good chance Parrish will want to stay. Hopefully they'll chase Chara or Redden or anyone else that will help the blueline.

I would much rather have Parrish and Sopel than a way past his prime Cliff Ronning or an injured Anson Carter. This team could have some luck in the playoffs. Is it perfect by any stretch? No. A few things could go seriously wrong. I would rather roll the dice and see what this team can do than another halfassed deadline addition that actually makes us worse. We can mortgage a little bit of our future. Once you get into the playoffs anything can happen. Hopefully Parrish and Sopel can a better seed than we are used to we can finally win more than one round.

Last edited by Old Hickory: 03-12-2006 at 04:40 PM.

Old
03-12-2006, 06:16 PM
guzmania

Atta boy John!

People talk about purple colored glasses, but I've never seen so many "fans" of a team with fecal brown colored lenses.

Taken by themselves Sopel and Parrish aren't Lefleur and Orr but they fit our needs. Synergy.

Old
03-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Can anyone tell me the status on Bure? is he going to ever return? if so when and likely for a diff team? I know he's a ufa

Old
03-12-2006, 06:27 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrish11d
Can anyone tell me the status on Bure? is he going to ever return? if so when and likely for a diff team? I know he's a ufa
He's done for the season. I can't tell you where he'll be next year...

Old
03-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Osprey

Quote:
People talk about purple colored glasses, but I've never seen so many "fans" of a team with fecal brown colored lenses.
Those are called sunglasses . They're quite popular in SoCal thanks to the rich winning tradition that the Kings have (either that or it's the climate, I always forget).

Seriously, though, I disagree with you, but that was a funny comment. I had a good laugh imagining Spongebob wearing "fecal brown colored lenses"

Old
03-12-2006, 07:04 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Those are called sunglasses . They're quite popular in SoCal thanks to the rich winning tradition that the Kings have (either that or it's the climate, I always forget).

Seriously, though, I disagree with you, but that was a funny comment. I had a good laugh imagining Spongebob wearing "fecal brown colored lenses"
Nevada is where you need them most of all

Old
03-12-2006, 08:40 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Atta boy John!

Taken by themselves Sopel and Parrish aren't Lefleur and Orr but they fit our needs. Synergy.
Eewwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!

Closed Thread