HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

After the Horn - Sens @ Montreal

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2003, 04:45 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
After the Horn - Sens @ Montreal

--------------
OTT V. VARADA (2) M. HOSSA (5) C. PHILLIPS (2)

OTT P. SCHAEFER (1) J. SPEZZA (4)

MTL S. SOURAY (2) S. BEGIN (1)

OTT M. HAVLAT (1) R. BONK (6) M. HOSSA (6)

MTL S. SOURAY (3)

OTT J. SPEZZA (3) B. POTHIER (1)

OTT D. ALFREDSSON (5)

OTT R. BONK (4) D. ALFREDSSON (4) M. HOSSA (7)
---------------
Markov & Rivet -3
---------------
PP OTT 2 in 7
MTL 1 in 6

3 Stars

1.Alfredsson
2.Souray
3.Lalime

Old
10-25-2003, 04:49 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

We have to give the credit to the Sens again . They played a well rounded game and their best elements have get the job done .

Juneau's line was too slow to stop Ottawa fast fowards , they were outplayed almost 75% of the time . ( and he got more ice time than our 2nd line )

Ribeiro played 18 mins ... way more than his usual 12-14mins ... the result are there , no points for Ribs . He looked tired at time .

Old
10-25-2003, 04:52 PM
PrairieHabber

vCash: 500
The Habs had a lot of drive and energy at the start but those 2 quick goals really set them back. I thought the first Souray goal would help them change momentum, and it did for a while, but ultimately they were outclassed by the Sens talent.

Old
10-25-2003, 04:52 PM
Habsfunk

Great effort for 45 minutes. They completely folded after Spezza's goal. You have to play a perfect game to beat the Sens and the Habs didn't do that. It seemed that everytime we made a mistake (and for the first 45 minutes I don't think there were many) they scored. We also took too many penalties.

But man, Ottawa is good. They don't really have a single weakness.

Old
10-25-2003, 04:57 PM
PrairieHabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfunk
Great effort for 45 minutes. They completely folded after Spezza's goal. You have to play a perfect game to beat the Sens and the Habs didn't do that. It seemed that everytime we made a mistake (and for the first 45 minutes I don't think there were many) they scored. We also took too many penalties.

But man, Ottawa is good. They don't really have a single weakness.
I agree. You have to play a really smart game to beat the Sens, and that includes keeping the penalties down. It seems like the defensive system works perfectly when the Habs have a lead but has a difficult time compensating when the team is trailing. I guess that isn't a surprise.

Old
10-25-2003, 04:57 PM
hardcore_fan

Hey guys Sens fan here.The one observation I have and the thing I noticed the most from when the Sens played strictly trap hockey is the importance of the first goal.It really makes you change your approach.Theo may not have had his best game but looks like he's rebounded from last season, there really wasn't much he could do on most of those goals.Keep your heads high though I was a Habs fan before we got a home team and things are looking good for Les Glorieux.(especially Ryder)

Old
10-25-2003, 05:08 PM
Tricolore#20

I thought that the Habs played a good game, but the Sens are much too strong. Montreal couldn't get anything going, especially in the 3rd. On the powerplay that lead to a shot that hit the crossbar (in the 3rd), the Habs were completely smoothered by the Sens PK unit. There weren't really any open lanes to pass, even though we had a 5 on 4 advantage. I thought that was amazing to be quite honest.

I honestly think that no other team can compete with the Senators this season. If they stay healthy, they should be Stanley Cup Champions at the end of the year. As mentionned, they have really no weaknesses, and everyone plays a very smart game.

Full credit to the Sens. This wasn't a 6-2 game though, it didn't really appear like a blowout game whatsoever.

Old
10-25-2003, 05:09 PM
Habs

Our holes are exploited, when playing a top team. Montreal is built around getting a quick lead, and laying back, rather than generating offence from behind.

However, our defence [Souray excluded] was rather poor tonight. When they play soft, we get beat down low.

Bouillion, again, has proven he is not NHL calibre. How many times do we have to watch him get hammered in the defensive zone?

I remain affirmative, that Sundstrom and Audette, are the most useless players on this club.

Rivet had his worst game in a long time, as did Quintal.

Guess we will see after the Philadelphia game, what this team is made of.

One last note, we are taking one "Too many men" penalties per game, which is starting to hurt the team more than ever.

Old
10-25-2003, 05:11 PM
caper13

the habs were put in their place again they were out scated and out played nopw what will be the excuse.

Old
10-25-2003, 05:15 PM
Kirk Muller

Energy wise, and offensive chances created, the team played very well, but 3 players stood out in a very very bad way, and unforntunately all are defenseman. Both Rivet and Markov had BRUTAL nights, bad giveways (Markov) and missed coverage (Rivet). Quintal also looked very bad especially on that powerplay goal.

I think Hossa showed why he is on that line tonight. He was by far the best player on his line, always in the play, going to the net and working the boards. I only wish he would have passed it to Ribeiro instead of shot in the second (I think) when Ottawa botched up the reverse play around the net.

Audette, oh what to do with him. Frankly, he just isn't NHL calibre right now, and that line continues to struggle against good teams. The lack of a guy like Koivu centering that line is abundantly clear. They cannot create off the rush, and Perreault and Audette just can't work the corners good enough on a consistent basis.

Souray was a beast again. Man that guy can shoot, and played solid physical hockey.

Overall, Ottawa by no means dominated, the score doesn't reflect it, but the game came down to Ottawa capitalizing on scoring chances, Montreal didn't, and some very costly errors and mental mistakes on behalf of the aforementioned players.

Old
10-25-2003, 05:17 PM
caper13

the habs are to soft they need to get mean and anyone who doesent want to get rid of them bring up komi and buchavin put langton in and we will kick ass .

Old
10-25-2003, 05:20 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Ribeiro played 18 mins ... way more than his usual 12-14mins ... the result are there , no points for Ribs . He looked tired at time .
He got a lot of ice time because he looked good out there. He could have had 5 pts tonight. He made some awesome passes all night long. Hands down the best habs forward tonight.

Again Audead was invisible (beside the stupid high stick penalty).

All in all the score isn't a good indicative of the game. We played a good game but the sens are just too strong for us. We just can't come back against teams like that. The game was over from the moment we were 0-2.

I'm satisfied with tonight's effort.

Old
10-25-2003, 05:24 PM
caper13

the sens are making fools of us when is the coaching staff going to realize we need toughness and grit to stop these guys how often do they have to be humilityed to realize this. :mad:

Old
10-25-2003, 05:24 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieHabber
I agree. You have to play a really smart game to beat the Sens, and that includes keeping the penalties down. It seems like the defensive system works perfectly when the Habs have a lead but has a difficult time compensating when the team is trailing. I guess that isn't a surprise.
agreed....the defensive system like a trap seems to work best when the habs have a lead.....when they are playing catch up hockey, the whole system is taken out of place and it is run and gun hockey....a style of hockey that the habs dont want to get caught in, especially with a powerhouse in Ottawa. The key for the habs is to get a lead, then we can play our defensive system

Old
10-25-2003, 05:28 PM
Mike8

Figured I'd post this. I like to keep some logs of the Habs' games; specifically the matchups used and scoring chances for and against. I find this gives a clear indication of breakdowns in the system if you see what the causes of each scoring chance against is. Also gives a good indication of who's pulling their weight offensively.

Senators at Canadiens
Oct 25th, 2003

Varada-Bonk-Hossa
Schaefer-Spezza-Alfredsson
Schastlivy-Smolinski-Havlat
Neil-Van Allen-Vermette

Redden-Rachunek
Phillips-Chara
Vauclair-Pothier

Hossa-Ribeiro-Zednik
Ryder-Perreault-Audette
Bulis-Juneau-Dackell
Sundstrom-Begin-Ward

Markov-Rivet
Hainsey-Brisebois
Souray-Quintal

HABS HOME ICE ADVANTAGE
Matchups:

Ribeiro line vs Spezza (HABS initiated) -> (midway through second, changed to match up against Van Allen line)
Perreault line vs Smolinski
Juneau line vs Bonk (HABS initiated)
Begin line line vs Van Allen (HABS initiated) -> (Ribeiro takes this matchup, Begin moves to Spezza matchup)

Souray pairing vs Bonk (HABS initiated)

Scoring chances
Montreal
First period:
1- Dackell drove the net immediately after a faceoff, Redden failed to tie him up. Dackell got the rebound off a Quintal point shot, Lalime makes pad save

2- PP, Brisebois shot from point, Audette and Ryder in crease, hit crossbar

3(goal) - Begin with a fantastic faceoff win straight back to Souray, Sundstrom did a great job in blocking Hossa to get to the point, Souray gets the chance to skate over to the faceoff circle, and blast the puck over Lalime's glove

Second period:
4- Zednik set up a streaking Ryder in the slot, weak backhand, good blocker save -- Chara weak on this play

5- Hossa forechecks well on Rachunek who gives puck up to Zednik, Zednik sets up Ribeiro in front, passes to Hossa who's in the slot and onetimes the shot on Lalime

6+7(PP)- series of scoring chances, Lalime unshaken makes it look easy

8(PP)- Ryder wins battle along the boards, sets up Perreault with the one timer in the crease

Third period:
9(PP goal)- Ryder drills Redden on the forecheck, puck deflects out to Souray who hammers it by Lalime again. Excellent shot, great job by Ryder on the forecheck for forcing Redden to make a bad play. Ryder also screened Lalime on the shot.

Ottawa
First period:
1 (goal) - Hossa deked out Dackell and Bulis at the redline, went outside on Quintal, set it up in front of the net, Juneau did a poor job stopping Varada from crashing the net, puck goes in

2- Ribeiro giveaway at the blueline, leads to Alfredsson setting up Schaefer at the crease; Rivet failed to tie up his man

3 (goal) - Rivet simply backed up way too much, leaving Schaefer too much room and allowing him to get in too deep.

4- Another Ottawa point shot, Spezza sitting at the crease and AGAIN Rivet failed to tie up his man

5- PP, collection of bounces (bad ice again!) in the crease
Second period:

6- Alfredsson outskated Souray to the outside, went behind the net, set up Spezza in the high slot (Quintal didn't tie his man), Quintal goes down and luckily blocks the shot

7- Martin wins the matchup game on this shift: gets the Hossa line out against Ribeiro. Bonk and Hossa eat up Ribeiro and Brisebois down low, set up a couple chances in the crease, puck cleared luckily.

8(PP goal)- Havlat sitting at slot, Bulis misses his man altogether. Easy goal for Havlat. (announcers claimed it was Quintal's man. Disagree on this. There was an Ottawa forward right next to the net. Had Quintal committed to Havlat, the Ottawa forward behind the net could have easily walked out to the crease and been completely untouched. Bulis had seen Havlat and should have covered that side. This has been a common goal scored on the Habs when they're penalty killing, and it looks like opposing teams are starting to employ this setup of one man along the sideboards with the puck, one man down low, one man at the far post, which exposes a weakness in the Hab PK)

9- Smolinski on breakaway, doesn't capitalize on being all alone with Theodore; Theodore makes it look easy

10-Hossa circles the net, gets Theodore overcommited, sets up Bonk in the slot. Glove save by Theodore. Bad change by the Habs caused this

Third period:
11(goal)- Spezza beats Perreault off the draw, wins it back to Pothier. Pothier takes the shot, Spezza drives the net, Perreault fails to tie up Spezza off the draw or even follow Spezza to attempt to cover his man. Spezza, left wide open, gets the rebound from the Pothier shot and scores. Terrible play by Perreault.

12(goal)- Markov with a tough giveaway at center ice, Alfredsson pounces on the puck. Not much chance in stopping Alfredsson and a decent goal. Great shot.

13(SH)- Rivet tries to be fancy and do it all himself when on the PP, gives it up for a close to 2 on 1 chance; decent shot on net.

14-Dackell gives up the puck to Spezza, sets up Schastlivy across ice with a shot from the top of the faceoff circle

15-Havlat behind the net to Hossa, driving the net. Theodore makes the save, Markov and Rivet gave Hossa too much room and let him off without any physical repercussions.

16(PPgoal)- three sens on the left side for Markov to cover. Simply too much with no support, which is becoming the common theme for Montreal plays in this third period. Bonk puts it home.

Notes:

-Martin is good at the matchup game. On many occasions he got the Hossa line on the ice while the Begin line is at the end of their shift, and tries to get them hemmed in deep. The Begin line did well in getting a whistle shortly thereafter on each occasion. This is the experience and intelligence of Sundstrom and Begin shining through.

-Marian Hossa is dominant. Just a phenominal talent. Surprises me every time I see him how scary his all-around talent is.

-I'd like to see Begin given some more responsibilities on the PK. He's great on the faceoff, Montreal's only willing shotblocker, and has good quickness which is a must for forwards on the PK.

-More good coaching from Julien. Ribeiro's line was being completely outplayed by Spezza's line, and rendered ineffective while being hemmed in its own zone, so Julien starts tossing the Ribeiro line whenever Ottawa sticks their fourth line on the ice. Ribeiro hadn't gotten a significant scoring chance prior to this switch, but started to get some breathing room and thus set up more offense after the move.

-Begin is precisely what this club needed, folks. Great agitator, good on the draw, good defensively to be matched up against opponents' scoring lines.

-How many consecutive games can the Canadiens go while receiving a "too many men" penalty?

What killed the Habs tonight:

-Some weak defensive play from Rivet and Markov cost the Habs. Quintal had a less than stellar performance. Perreault, Audette did not show up, and Ribeiro was outplayed severely by Spezza and company (which is to be expected). Ottawa controlled the pace of the play, especially after jumping up to an early lead.

-Souray was a monster this game. Excellent game. Hossa, Ryder, Begin and Sundstrom were others that looked strong tonight.

-The Canadiens started to revert back to their old ways after the midway mark of the second. The forwards didn't stick to the game plan and play the trap properly; Ottawa fowards were left untouched while streaking down the wings, leaving the Hab defensemen no chance in preventing scoring chances. The team simply couldn't keep up with Ottawa's transition game.

Old
10-25-2003, 05:28 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Energy wise, and offensive chances created, the team played very well, but 3 players stood out in a very very bad way, and unforntunately all are defenseman. Both Rivet and Markov had BRUTAL nights, bad giveways (Markov) and missed coverage (Rivet). Quintal also looked very bad especially on that powerplay goal.
the net.
Will Gainey call-up Komisarek for the game against the big Fleyrs ?

Old
10-25-2003, 05:30 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper13
the sens are making fools of us when is the coaching staff going to realize we need toughness and grit to stop these guys how often do they have to be humilityed to realize this. :mad:
Sorry to diasgree, I think we need speed and skill.

Old
10-25-2003, 05:34 PM
MVP

Mike8, great report

Old
10-25-2003, 05:39 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Will Gainey call-up Komisarek for the game against the big Fleyrs ?
Doubtful, but Rivet, Brisebois, and Quintal better be looking over their shoulders. Komisareks wants in, and probably deserves to be, if Gainey can find a desperate team for dman, St Louis comes to mind, one could be sent packing. Again its only one game, Markov and Rivet both stepped up after they had a tough opening game against Ottawa, but Quintal, I think he really is in a tough position. I begin to wonder if this team would be better off getting rid of Bouillon, and letting Quintal be seventh defenseman. Brings leadership, can also play left defense if necessary, can sub for both rookies in Komisarek and Hainsey. Just a thought.

Old
10-25-2003, 05:42 PM
BrettHabs24

I posted this analysis on another board. Let me know what you think.

I was at the game. Great game until the 16 minute mark of the third. Then on, it was downright brutal. As always, my thoughts on each individual.

JOSE THEODORE C+ Definitely not to blame for the loss, but he was not fantastic. Could it be he was intimidated by the squad that embarassed us during our first game? Maybe. Like he always says, he plays better with the lead, and with 2 early goals, it just hurt too much.

SHELDON SOURAY A+ BEST PLAYER ON THE ICE FOR EITHER TEAM. Not only did he have the only goal, but he was tough, he was physical, he was great defensively, he was a spark plug, he was a leader, he battled.. It was absolutely amazing to see him out there. The only Hab I feel bad for tonight is him, because he could not have played better tonight. After Spezza made it 4-2, I looked at the Habs guys and saw Sheldon just slam his stick down on the ice. Everyone else just seemed to skate off or look away. It really made me think about who the true leader on this team is.

PATRICE BRISEBOIS A- Good game overall.. No real defensive blunders that I can think of, and some OK offensive pressure.. He needs to find the back of the net soon though, and take more slap shots on the PP. No more wristers please Patrice.

ANDREI MARKOV C+ Nothing spectacular, thats for sure. Not his best outing. But no real mistakes. He needs to take charge of the PP more.

STEPHANE QUINTAL B- Excellent game. He was pretty darn good tonight, and has been all season. I dont love the guy, and I was hoping for him to be gone, but he has impressed me a lot this year. Physical and complements Souray so well. Good job Stephane.

CRAIG RIVET C- The 3 million dollar mistake. Enough said. Got beat in his own zone sooo many times, didnt apply any offensive pressure and just pretty much played a brutal game. Some leader he is. All talk no walk. He can do better.

FRANCIS BOUILLON C+ Not our worst player by far tonight.. Actually quite impressive. Still gets the C+ because I would rather see Hainsey out there No in all seriousness, he was fair, somewhat physical, but his size is truly a factor. He has the heart of a lion, and can hit like one at times, but he has his "@#%$ cat" moments.

MIKE RIBEIRO C+ Meh. Weak. He didnt use his moves much tonight, which disappointed me. He is a small guy. He knows it, we know it, the opposition knows it. Mike- dont try and stickhandle past Zdeno Chara or Chris Phillips and think you will get away with it. He has to use his skill. Oh ya, play him on the point on the PP and stick Souray in front of the net.

MARCEL HOSSA C- Not even close to the talent his brother has, but he did have some moments where he played intense. Maybe it was the thought of playing his brother that kept him motivated.. Not his worst game, but we still need to see more from him.

RICHARD ZEDNIK C- Like Hossa, had some spurts but overall was a no show tonight. This whole line made some nice passes on the PP but needs to shoot the puck more in general. Not only on the PP, but on 5 on 5 as well. They all have proven they can be snipers and Zednik especially would benefit from this.

YANIC PERREAULT B- One of our better forwards IMO. Won some key draws and looked pretty good with Ryder. Nothing flashy, but some good shifts.

DONALD AUDETTE D- Almost an F, but I have to feel bad for the guy, he almost lost his arm. He just stunk plain and simple. Brutal. Horrible. There arent enough negative traits to describe his play. Skating aimlessly, taking stupid shots, not passing, not being able to handle passes, losing the puck, weak defensively..

MICHAEL RYDER B- Showed some intensity, and drove to the net like he always does.. Him and Perreault seem to work well together, I would take of Donald and put Saku there on the wing.. Could be an interesting line.

JOE JUNEAU B+ Did not look bad at all. He did good work on the PK, (so did all the PK guys) but when you give a team like Ottawa 7 power plays, they are going to hurt you. Plain and simple. On 5 on 5, he looked good, cycling the puck with Bulis and Dackell and they created some great chances.. Are they only a checking line?

ANDREAS DACKELL B- Looked good against his former team, but I almost pulled my hair out when he fanned on the shot when he was wide open in front of Lalime in the third. Cycled the puck well, seems stronger on the puck then last season, and looks better than Niklas Sundstrom IMO.

JAN BULIS C- Disappointing. Really disappointing. I really liked him better on a scoring line, put Sundstrom on the checking line and take Audette out of there. He seems to like playing with Saku (who wouldnt) and it benefitted his game, and it benefitted the team. Perhaps its up to the coaching staff to realize this and change the lines accordingly.

STEVE BEGIN B- Very impressive. He is like a PJ Stock mixed with a Matthew Barnaby- but we havent seen him fight yet. He stir up some trouble and played well, winning a draw to Souray.. I like the guy.

JASON WARD C- Invisible. Use your size man!! Arent we glad we drafted this guy instead of that loser Marian Hossa!?

NIKLAS SUNDSTROM C- Disappointed me a little bit. Seems uninterested and I think that playing Dackell on the checking line instead of him has hurt his ego somewhat. And with good reason.

Overall, a tough loss yes, but this is a fantastic hockey team we played, and they literally have a sniper on every line. Just fantastic. They are in my mind the cup favorites. This will be a good test. Can we bounce back vs the Flyers? I hope so.

Any feedback much appreciated please.

Old
10-25-2003, 05:45 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8

-Some weak defensive play from Rivet and Markov cost the Habs. Quintal had a less than stellar performance. Perreault, Audette did not show up, and Ribeiro was outplayed severely by Spezza and company (which is to be expected). Ottawa controlled the pace of the play, especially after jumping up to an early lead.

-Souray was a monster this game. Excellent game. Hossa, Ryder, Begin and Sundstrom were others that looked strong tonight.

-The Canadiens started to revert back to their old ways after the midway mark of the second. The forwards didn't stick to the game plan and play the trap properly; Ottawa fowards were left untouched while streaking down the wings, leaving the Hab defensemen no chance in preventing scoring chances. The team simply couldn't keep up with Ottawa's transition game.
You summed up the game right here....well said

Quintal, Rivet and Markov really had a poor game, especially in the defensive done.......the Sens brought their A game, and we made way too many mistakes...kudos to the Sens

Souray was by far the best hab tonight....2 goals, a physical presence, and a ROCK on d. I thought Hossa, Ryder and Begin also played pretty good, but i disagree about Sundstrom.....he did not impress me much....i even liked Dackell better

Old
10-25-2003, 05:59 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Doubtful, but Rivet, Brisebois, and Quintal better be looking over their shoulders. Komisareks wants in, and probably deserves to be, if Gainey can find a desperate team for dman, St Louis comes to mind, one could be sent packing. Again its only one game, Markov and Rivet both stepped up after they had a tough opening game against Ottawa, but Quintal, I think he really is in a tough position. I begin to wonder if this team would be better off getting rid of Bouillon, and letting Quintal be seventh defenseman. Brings leadership, can also play left defense if necessary, can sub for both rookies in Komisarek and Hainsey. Just a thought.
It's interesting , with Quintal as our 7th it would bring a lot a support to Komisarek and Hainsey . I agree with you , but who is going to trade for Bouillon ?

Old
10-25-2003, 06:00 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
Im still waiting to see Marcel Hossa make an individual offensive play instead of being the guinea pig to feed it off to Ribs or Zed all the time, doesn't he have more talent then this
actually i think he creates more things than Zednik the puckhog

Old
10-25-2003, 06:01 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettHabs24

MIKE RIBEIRO C+ Meh. Weak. He didnt use his moves much tonight, which disappointed me. He is a small guy. He knows it, we know it, the opposition knows it. Mike- dont try and stickhandle past Zdeno Chara or Chris Phillips and think you will get away with it. He has to use his skill. Oh ya, play him on the point on the PP and stick Souray in front of the net.

YANIC PERREAULT B- One of our better forwards IMO. Won some key draws and looked pretty good with Ryder. Nothing flashy, but some good shifts.

Any feedback much appreciated please.
I agree with pretty much everything beside those two evaluations. We definately weren't seeing the same game for those two.

Ribeiro made nice feeds to everyone and was creative while Perreault was horrible to watch. Notably on the Spezza goal. Which was the game killer.

Old
10-25-2003, 06:05 PM
BrettHabs24

The Spezza goal was just brutal.

I dont know which line was on (maybe Ribeiro's..) but to let that happen, they should be ashamed.

It was so "Habs-like" for them to score right after Souray got us back in it.

Closed Thread