HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBC = Classless / Complaint letter

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2006, 01:44 AM
growne

vCash: 500
I have to agree with your last point. Personally I didn't think it was done optimally, but that is only my opinion.

As for CBC though, I can't imagine them skipping the whole first period to cover it. Retiring a number is a team thing, not a league-wide event. I would be absolutely livid if I missed a period of the Habs everytime someone got honoured.

And preemptively (not directed at Albino), great hockey players die all time. Why would other fans have to miss part of their game all of a sudden. I don't remember ever cutting to a funeral or retirement ceremony in the middle of a Habs game. If you want to watch the ceremony, watch it on SRC. Available nationally to everyone, plus there weren't any commentators speaking so language wasn't a factor either. It would be a waste of airwaves to show the exact same thing on both channels while a game millions of people care about (albeit misguided people ) goes unaired.

Old
03-12-2006, 01:46 AM
growne

Also, in regards to your last sentence Albino. I, too, did find the raising of the banner touching. However it was the rest of the ceremony and the drawn out nature of the whole thing which got to me. In no way do I think Boom-Boom should have gone unhonoured and unrecognized at all tonight.

Old
03-12-2006, 01:51 AM
Ford Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growne
I have to agree with your last point. Personally I didn't think it was done optimally, but that is only my opinion.

As for CBC though, I can't imagine them skipping the whole first period to cover it. Retiring a number is a team thing, not a league-wide event. I would be absolutely livid if I missed a period of the Habs everytime someone got honoured.

And preemptively (not directed at Albino), great hockey players die all time. Why would other fans have to miss part of their game all of a sudden. I don't remember ever cutting to a funeral or retirement ceremony in the middle of a Habs game. If you want to watch the ceremony, watch it on SRC. Available nationally to everyone, plus there weren't any commentators speaking so language wasn't a factor either. It would be a waste of airwaves to show the exact same thing on both channels while a game millions of people care about (albeit misguided people ) goes unaired.
If it's a matter of appeasing hockey fans, then they could have easily done what they've done in the past; for the Toronto markey air the Leafs game, and for everyone else have coverage of the Habs. A lot of viewers these days may not remember this, but in the old days, they used to do that every weekend. Then they slowly started cutting Habs games (road games) saying it was too expensive, and then eventually cut the pretense and axed the thing all together. I believe when the Sens first got their franchise the CBC had coverage of 3 games simultaneously, kinda what the networks do with NFL football.

Old
03-12-2006, 02:09 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

I sent them a complaint too. I wrote that I was glad Mats Sundin wasn't benched, or we woulda had to listen to it all week-end, a bloody National emergency.

Old
03-12-2006, 02:17 AM
Geese_Howard*

Do we have these every week? bashing CBC and the Leafs? there is no doubt it might have been a great ceremony... people forget... the habs game started 20 minutes later then the leafs game. you guys think everyone is against your canadian team.... ****, maybe there was contratual agreements with commericals?

This is supposed to be boom boom's night, why ruin it with this? is this about CBC and the leafs?

hey I saw bits and pieces of it, and although i respect everything he did, I could care less watching the ceremony.... sorry but he was before my time. I have a complete cable package.... wanna fix your problems? stop penny pinching.....

Old
03-12-2006, 03:13 AM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Okay buddy with the Belak icon... You're sadly mistaken. You are watching an SRC simulcast of RDS' Saturday night broadcast. You do not get RDS, that is SRC. You will only get Saturday night games, whereas RDS broadcasts all 82. And RDS is not $20 a month for non-Quebec residents, if you'll look to the left you will see I live right in Leaf-land it's $6.99 a month I believe. On Rogers Digital.

Go Habs Go.

Old
03-12-2006, 03:15 AM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by badrobot101
Despite all the enmity between Leafs and Habs fans, I think we all agree on more important matters ... i.e. that we hate Ottawa and Boston. Can't we all just get along, people?
Habs fans have no reason to hate Ottawa. In fact, I like Ottawa. I would love nothing more than to see them demolish the Leafs in the playoffs.

Old
03-12-2006, 06:00 AM
50 Mission Cap

Well, I'm sure if your flood of emails are tailored in the same grammatical fashion as your posts then the folks at the CBC will have quite a chuckle on monday morning.

Old
03-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Phousse

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97
I just assumed everyone got it, and it was the french CBC, obviously I am wrong on both accounts. Definately weird how I get 2 french channels though and it's not like it's new, I've always had them.
I have 2 french channels and niether of them are RDS. On Saturday nights, although a rare occasion now, the show an SRC Broadcast of an RDS game or whatever, but that's only on Saturday. I think you might be confusing it with that? The best way to check is on a Habs game on a weekday, but I don't you would really care. I think it's around $7 to get RDS, but I've yet to get it.

Old
03-12-2006, 07:34 AM
JimmyPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
Did the CBC know that Boom Boom was going to pass on today? You can't just change things on the fly. RDS showed the game on channel 12 on rogers and I watched a bit of it, so what's the big deal they were translating it in english/french
For your information, I work in television and with the fact that Geffrion died in the morning, there was ample time to change the programming or the feature that they run. We work in what is essentially sports-news and this is done all the time.
Maybe you should take the leaf hat off and admit that this was very classless.

Last edited by JimmyPage: 03-12-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Old
03-12-2006, 08:04 AM
JimmyPage

Sending emails to the CBC is undoubtedly a useless exercise. I would suggest everyone go into their sent emails box and resend these emails to the Federal minister of Sports:

Chong.M@parl.gc.ca

Thanks

Old
03-12-2006, 08:08 AM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
Whoever said that western Canadians were'nt intereseted in seeing the ceremony for Boom-Boom is way off base.

In fact if you read any of the boards for the western teams,you would see how frustrated they are with HNIC coverage-in fact they were the first to rename HNIC to HNIT and would like to see some Sens and Habs games instead of being force fed the Leafs all the time like the rest of us.

And for those who thought it was too long-please. We all had to sit through the lugubrious ceremony for Tie Domi's 1000th game last week-now there's a milestone!

This is an example of some of the respose from Canuck's.com where they have a thread (with a rather rude title, I might add) regarding the failure of CBC to show the ceremony, which they definately wanted to see; in fact they were stunned and angry that it was not shown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"***, Don't even show the tribute to Boom Boom. I had to go to the french channel to watch it. It was awesome, so classy."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"well we all know that cbc is biased to the leafs..so there you go.
oh well at least there was A channel we could all watch it on
and i got teary-eyed too. it was so sad."

"When a sucky Laffs useless player like Tie Domi getting a useless milestone, CBC would spend 1/2 hour of no-comercial broadcasting time on it. A great player that has his number hanged up and who just passed away from another team? nah CBC doesn't care. "

Old
03-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
You see I agree with this post as it is informative and correct. Yes thay should have at least cut out for a minute or two to show the jersey being raised just not the whole thing.
I disagree. I think they should have shown the whole thing. I understand Toronto has the larger market and corporate cash and I don't care if the CBC broadcasts more Leaf games...it makes sense. However, not showing this game was wrong. Last week Domi had a 30 minute ceremony, but they can't dedicate that to a hockey legend who changed the game. It's inexcusable and any argument to the contrary is equally insulting.

Also...I don't live in Quebec....and I'm not french speaking. I'm a Montreal Canadiens fan and have been for 20 years. Why shouldn't I be able to see the ceremony. Finally....no....Montreal is not prodominantly french....it's actually 80% english speaking and the major reason Quebec is still in Canada.

Old
03-12-2006, 09:27 AM
50 Mission Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPage
Sending emails to the CBC is undoubtedly a useless exercise. I would suggest everyone go into their sent emails box and resend these emails to the Federal minister of Sports:

Chong.M@parl.gc.ca

Thanks
Yes, because Michael, as the minister of amateur sport, has a lot of say in how the CBC structures it's broadcasting.

You know what they say, better to be assumed an idiot and keep your mouth shut, then to open it and remove all doubt.

Old
03-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Digger03

This sums up cbc right here:

"Never mind making the playoffs. If the Toronto Maple Leafs play every game until the end of the season as they played Saturday night, they could win the Stanley Cup."

That was the opening paragraph from last nights win story over the Tampabay Lightning....embarassing if you ask me they get a couple of wins against a tired team and a team that has no goalies and all of sudden they're contenders again lol

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/natio...ing060211.html

Old
03-12-2006, 09:32 AM
JimmyPage

Actually, I didn't know what ministry controls the CBC from the listings that I looked over so I thought that would be a good start. You can call me an idiot but at least I don't portray myself as ignorant or classless.

Old
03-12-2006, 09:34 AM
50 Mission Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPage
You can call me an idiot but at least I don't portray myself as ignorant
Actually, that's exactly what you did.

Old
03-12-2006, 09:39 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Mission Cap
Yes, because Michael, as the minister of amateur sport, has a lot of say in how the CBC structures it's broadcasting.

You know what they say, better to be assumed an idiot and keep your mouth shut, then to open it and remove all doubt.
I suggest you heed your own advice, HNIC had options. They could have devoted their pre game show to the event. They could have highlighted a condensed version in a better fashion. They could have made the Montreal game national and the Leaf game regional. As far as those who had never heard of the Boomer, I like to believe that part of being a fan of this sport is knowing its history. Being a fan is more than painting your face blue.

I've heard baseball media people in shock at how black ball players had never heard of Jackie Robinson. I always thought knowing about stuff was more interesting than not knowing,but I'm a pretty simple guy.

As for trying to compare biker violence in Montreal to recent gun violence in Toronto, if shame is in any of your emotional repertoires, now would be a good time to feel it. The bunch of you.

Old
03-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander
In all fairness wasn't the ceremony in montreal late tonight sometime towards the end of the 1st period of the leafs game.
It ended around the end of the first period in the Toronto game, Leaf Lander & no disrespect to you because I consider you to be a quality poster, but, the CBC & HNIC seems to consider watching that legendary future HOF defenseman, Wade Belak, skate in the pre-game warmup to be more important than a tribute to one of the all-time greats.

This event was important enough that a decision to broadcast this Habs game could have easily been justified.

Old
03-12-2006, 09:47 AM
StorminZ

To build on the thread title ...

CBC = Classless Broadcasting Crap

OK, now that that is out of my system ... onto the rant.

You'd have thought they'd cut away from the maple laffs game so as to pay homage to the great Boom Boom.

The CBC is laughable ... VERY LAUGHABLE ... in it's maple leaf coverage when considering how much air-time they gave Tie Domi's 1000 game celebration and next to nothing (in terms of "live" coverage) to the honour bestowed upon Boom Boom. Nothing against Tie, but what's Domi done for the NHL compared to Boom Boom? Sure, 1000 games is a milestone, but nothing ... a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y n-o-t-h-i-n-g ... compared to the accomplishments of a Calder trophy, Art Ross trophy (x2), Hart trophy, 2nd player to record 50 goals in a season and, oh yea, 6 Stanley Cups. How many cups does Tie have (or the maple leafs for that matter)?

Call me bias as a Habs fan, but I'd say the same thing if the Habs celebrated Niklas Sundstrom's 1000th game (like that will ever happen) while the leafs retire the jersey of one of the games greats (can't think who that would be on the leafs right now, but pretend). The game is as much about its gloried past as it is about the stars of today and tomorrow ... CBC, as it does so often, rotates around T.O. to the seemingly total ignorance of the rest of hockey fandom and it is tiresome.

Old
03-12-2006, 09:55 AM
goalchenyuk

I didn't read the entire thread , but i was also furious againts RDS when they cut the silence moment after 20-30 seconds to put a pub ....And we all know that the pubs at RDS are always boosted to be 2x louder than the rest of their shows ...classless

Old
03-12-2006, 10:10 AM
JimmyPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Mission Cap
Actually, that's exactly what you did.
Touche. Like I said, I tried to find the a better link. I guess what I mean by ignorant is going out of your way to insult people when you are not provoked (or feeling the need to correct someone's grammar for that matter). I guess this is conduct that is acceptable to you but this is one of the reasons I like this board because there are a minimum of people like you.

Old
03-12-2006, 10:23 AM
e-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect
That's funny. I'm in Toronto, and I need to pay 20 dollars extra a month to get it
i pay 6 (rogers)

Old
03-12-2006, 10:26 AM
catmanhabsfan

"i would really like to get this off my chest. ive grown accustomed to hnic being leafs night. every one knows toronto is the be all and end all and no one else in canada could care less about any other canadian team. but to actually barely mention that bernard geofrion had passed away the morning he was to have his jersey retired is atrocious. i mean those guys on satellite hot stove were too busy talking about tie domi. unreal. and that fool (racist,biggot) don cherry mentions boom boom for one moment, with a smile on his face and almost laughing on coaches corner? how you can air this is beyond me. i pay for your television station out of my own pocket. no wonder your ratings are going down and you lost the olympics after this year. you dont deserve them. you dont deserve any of us watching your disgusting coverage any more. i rarely watch cbc anyways, so im not boycotting you, i just couldnt care less if the cbc even existed any more. pathetic that these morons are making 6 figure salaries and above to be openly biased. that is not journalism any more, its becoming tabloid. nice job turning the cbc into the laughing stock of broadcasting, and making us canadians foot the bill."

thanks for the link and giving me the chance to get that off my chest

Old
03-12-2006, 10:27 AM
katodelder

The CBC is not classless, it is poor. It doesn't have enough money to split the Eastern Network on a regular basis. This is why Ottawa plays so few Saturday night not-vs-Leafs home games.

Let's forget about the CBC.

RDS does a great job covering the Habs. If we're going to write a letter, let's write it to RDS urging them to get a deal done with the French CBC to resurrect La Soiree du Hockey so that people who can't afford cable can watch the Habs again.

The fact that non-cable-subscribers can't watch the Habs is far more of a travesty than CBC's non-coverage.

Closed Thread