HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

CBC = Classless / Complaint letter

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2006, 10:39 AM
CHareth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
As for trying to compare biker violence in Montreal to recent gun violence in Toronto, if shame is in any of your emotional repertoires, now would be a good time to feel it. The bunch of you.
This thread was going nowhere by page 3. Yet here we are on page 6. I'm surprised this nonsense has lasted this long.

Old
03-12-2006, 10:39 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by katodelder
The CBC is not classless, it is poor. It doesn't have enough money to split the Eastern Network on a regular basis. This is why Ottawa plays so few Saturday night not-vs-Leafs home games.

Let's forget about the CBC.

RDS does a great job covering the Habs. If we're going to write a letter, let's write it to RDS urging them to get a deal done with the French CBC to resurrect La Soiree du Hockey so that people who can't afford cable can watch the Habs again.

The fact that non-cable-subscribers can't watch the Habs is far more of a travesty than CBC's non-coverage.
I enjoy the RDS broadcast. I'm proud of the fact that I can watch without doing mental translation anymore, Language doesn't come easy to me. I use bell exp. vu as I'm in a rural area without cable. I have an antenna [remember those ?] that gives me some montreal stations,a nd the nearest US affiliates. I would have no access to the Habs without RDS. MY RadCan would be the Mtl. affiliate, or the old CBC English Ch. 6., one shows no hockey, the other the Leafs, the supremem insult to English Montrealers. Thankfully, I can afford the dish and its programming. If I couldn't, I'd strongly resent tax dollars heading to CBC. The thing is, I believe the CBC serves a purpose. Canadian talent is helped by its existance no matter how much we ridicule it. They should be clear though whether they are for profit or for service. They seem to pick and choose a bit too much. TSN is different, to succeed, if they choose to be toronto centric for business reasons, so be it. You don't have to like it, but the idea of a central property makes ratings sense. You don't have to subscribe. I have no problem with them.

As to CBC's supply and demand theories, anyone with the least marketing acumen knows how you can manipulate either .

Old
03-12-2006, 10:40 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon
This thread was going nowhere by page 3. Yet here we are on page 6. I'm surprised this nonsense has lasted this long.
and yet, I'm still posting. What the heck, not like I'll ever split the atom.

Old
03-12-2006, 10:41 AM
HABitual

Quote:
The CBC is not classless, it is poor. It doesn't have enough money to split the Eastern Network on a regular basis. This is why Ottawa plays so few Saturday night not-vs-Leafs home games.

Let's forget about the CBC.

RDS does a great job covering the Habs. If we're going to write a letter, let's write it to RDS urging them to get a deal done with the French CBC to resurrect La Soiree du Hockey so that people who can't afford cable can watch the Habs again.

The fact that non-cable-subscribers can't watch the Habs is far more of a travesty than CBC's non-coverage.
You teach me how to understand French completely enough that I can watch RDS then I will stop complaining.

Old
03-12-2006, 10:44 AM
CHareth

Quote:
and yet, I'm still posting. What the heck, not like I'll ever split the atom.
Leave the science to the pros, mcphee. You just keep focusing on posting interesting anecdotes and finding miracle pretzels and occasionally inserting sanity into useless threads. Let's leave the physics to someone else - say, E=CH2.

Old
03-12-2006, 10:46 AM
katodelder

Quote:
TSN is different, to succeed, if they choose to be toronto centric for business reasons, so be it. You don't have to like it, but the idea of a central property makes ratings sense. You don't have to subscribe. I have no problem with them.
I'm glad you mentioned TSN.

They've been showing more and more Habs games recently. The Bruins-Habs game last Thursday was an add-on not on their original schedule.

In my opinion TSN is less Toronto-centric than CBC. They will cover more and more Habs games as the team get's better and better in the coming years.

In my opinion TSN's coverage of hockey is second to none in the World as far as English Language coverage is concerned.

Old
03-12-2006, 10:47 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual
You teach me how to understand French completely enough that I can watch RDS then I will stop complaining.
Just keep watching.

Old
03-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Lionel Hutz

I was surprised the ceremony got no attention on HNIC. Sad.

Old
03-12-2006, 10:51 AM
mcphee

Quote:
I'm glad you mentioned TSN.

They've been showing more and more Habs games recently. The Bruins-Habs game last Thursday was an add-on not on their original schedule.

In my opinion TSN is less Toronto-centric than CBC. They will cover more and more Habs games as the team get's better and better in the coming years.

In my opinion TSN's coverage of hockey is second to none in the World as far as English Language coverage is concerned.
You're right, esp. since they re-acquired hockey as a package. I think getting off the ground, they decided to make the local teams their central properties, sort of a starting point in telling the story. Early on, they made no apologies for this. They are pretty good now. It is their decision though, it's their business.

Old
03-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon
If you set it to 50 posts a page, it's only 3 pages!

Just a matter of fooling your own mind.

Old
03-12-2006, 10:56 AM
AH

The only reason the CBC did not show the ceremony (and barely even mentioned it) was because they knew very well that it was going to be a great ceremony. Next to any ceremony put together by the Habs, the best the Leafs have ever done, the closing of MLG back in 1999, was a complete embarrassment. Compare that to last night's ceremony (let alone the ceremony of the closing of The Forum), and then you will realize why the CBC would NOT want embarrass their beloved team. If you were impotent, would you want to discuss how great a sex life your neighbour has ? Of course not ...

Like Michael Farber said on TSN this morning, there are only two establishments in Western civilization that know how to put together a cermony.. The House Of Windsor and the Montreal Canadiens.

Old
03-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Heavy D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Mission Cap
Well, I'm sure if your flood of emails are tailored in the same grammatical fashion as your posts then the folks at the CBC will have quite a chuckle on monday morning.
Why even make a post like this? What can it possibly add? Truly smug and classless.

Old
03-12-2006, 01:40 PM
jonny5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
Well if we hadn't beat Tampa you would not be in seventh lol . Anyways someone please help me out with something: Does RDS not televise all the Hab games on Saturday night's? Is Montreal not a predominate french speaking community? So what your telling me is that you want two channels dedicated to your game one in french and one in english give me a break, talk about being greedy. Maybe I should complain to RTP who broadcasts Portuguese soccer games because I know Portuguese but want the commentating heard in English. If anyone has the right to complain it's Ottawa fans as they get alot more stiffed than Habs fans

What about the rest of us Habs fans that live in other parts of Canada? Hab fans on the east coast, as well as Habs fans on the west coast, have a right to see their team just as much as the fans in Toronto. Contrary to popular demand, there is a world outside of the big TO.

Old
03-12-2006, 01:50 PM
CGG

The solution was simple, and could have been set up like this for months: Show the Boom Boom ceremony nationally, delay the start of the Leaf game til 7:35 (and then push it back another 10 minutes, if you really needed to), show the Leaf game only in the GTA (so most of the damn Leaf fans don't whine too much), and televise the Montreal game to the rest of the country. You can't tell me the CBC couldn't find another crew and do 2 early games, they used to do it all the time.

Closed Thread