HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most shocking overpayment at the trade deadline?

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2006, 10:39 PM
califlyersfan

vCash: 500
Most shocking overpayment at the trade deadline?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....wrapup/1.html

Most shocking overpayment?

On the surface, I'd give it to Philadelphia for sending two second rounders and tough guy Josh Gratton to Phoenix for the marginally useful Denis Gauthier. Of course, that's all hypothetical. The true value of the draft picks won't be known for years, and they may end up bringing little to the Coyotes. Still, that's a lot of assets for a guy who averages fewer than six minutes a period.

Old
03-10-2006, 11:08 PM
goodrev

a first rounder and future considerations for dwayne roloson gets my vote, its in a tie with the Witt trade for a first and Beech... both were gross overpayments and gauthier isnt even close to either of those, we got gauthier for 2 picks and filler

Old
03-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Philly Flyer Fan*

Canes gave up alot for Rex in my opinion

Old
03-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Flyer Fan
The Canes have sold a LOT of future to bring in Weight (who hasn't even scored a goal) and Recchi. I hope it's worth it for them.

I don't think Gauthier is an overpayment because we had to outbid the Rangers. Clarke said it himself, we now have a player like Kasparaitis (except he'll fight) all to ourselves. There's no way Clarke would allow the Rangers to have 2 players like that and none for ourselves.

Old
03-11-2006, 12:07 AM
BloodOnTheIce

Florida for resigning Jokinen for too much
Not saying he didn't deserve a raise, but to more than double his salary? What a waste of money. After they lock up Luongo they will have how much locked up in 2 players?

Old
03-11-2006, 12:18 AM
califlyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
The Canes have sold a LOT of future to bring in Weight (who hasn't even scored a goal) and Recchi. I hope it's worth it for them.

I don't think Gauthier is an overpayment because we had to outbid the Rangers. Clarke said it himself, we now have a player like Kasparaitis (except he'll fight) all to ourselves. There's no way Clarke would allow the Rangers to have 2 players like that and none for ourselves.

Gauthier doesn't fight either. He wears a visor and was called a lot of things we call kasper earlier in the season for hitting dirty and not fighting.

Old
03-11-2006, 01:00 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by califlyersfan
Gauthier doesn't fight either. He wears a visor and was called a lot of things we call kasper earlier in the season for hitting dirty and not fighting.
That's not what I've heard at all. But, stats are always better than opinion, right?

dropyourgloves.com (useful site) says he has 26 career NHL fights. He's only been a full-time NHLer since 1999 so that's pretty decent for a French-Canadian visor-wearing defenseman.

Kasparaitis on the other hand, has 25 career NHL fights in 13 seasons in the NHL, including a couple where he went an entire season without a fight (the year before the lockout was the latest).

Gauthier has 5 fights already this year, that's only one less than the almighty Brashear. Kaspar has 1 "fight" this year and that was the involuntary one against Brash.

Whether Gauthier is good at it or not remains to be seen. The fact is, he drops the gloves more frequently than Kaspar ever would and that's fine by me.

Old
03-11-2006, 01:01 AM
BloodOnTheIce

I wouldnt listen to much that comes from Allan Muir. Major tool. Guy still puts on a pink sock to masterbate.

He thought philly should trade downie and a 2nd rounder for Recchi

and he thinks that was ok, but we overpaid Gauthier

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...oposals/2.html

Last edited by BloodOnTheIce: 03-11-2006 at 02:33 AM.
Old
03-11-2006, 01:07 AM
califlyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodOnTheIce
I wouldnt listen to much that comes from Allan Muir. Major tool. Guy still puts on a pink sock to masterbate.

He thought philly should trade downie and a 2nd rounder for Recchi

and he thinks that was ok, but we overpaid Gauthier

Considering we could have signed recchi for for no player or draft pick cost, wow downie and a 2nd for recchi? What a dumb azz. WOW lol

Old
03-11-2006, 03:04 AM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
we now have a player like Kasparaitis (except he'll fight)
He turtled against Adam Deadmarsh once. Deadmarsh was dragging him around the ice by the strap of his jersey . It is from this game in the second period after Gauthier cross checked Forsberg.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/2000/991127/boxscore/cgycol.html

Old
03-11-2006, 03:09 AM
califlyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenfoppa94
He turtled against Adam Deadmarsh once. Deadmarsh was dragging him around the ice by the strap of his jersey . It is from this game in the second period after Gauthier cross checked Forsberg.

Do you know the date of that game?

Old
03-11-2006, 03:17 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenfoppa94

I'm not saying he's NEVER turtled. You'd be hard pressed to find an NHLer who hasn't run from a fight or a "tough guy" who hasn't turtled.

I'm merely saying he does a lot more to stand up for himself than Kasparaitis does, which goes a long way in my books.

Old
03-11-2006, 03:17 AM
BloodOnTheIce

Quote:
Do you know the date of that game?
looks like nov 27, 1999

Old
03-11-2006, 03:19 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

To be honest, I think we underpaid for Gauthier. We needed a defensive stalwart with a mean presence in the backend. Hatcher has somewhat mellowed with age and he isn't the agitator that Gauthier is. Gauthier is going to fill a very important role for us. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This man has the tools to impact the team the way Danny Markov did. He might not have Markov's offensive game, but defensively, he's just as good and just as mean.

Old
03-11-2006, 04:17 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Flyer Fan

We gave up more for Gauthier. And he does not fight.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
03-11-2006, 06:45 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
We gave up more for Gauthier. And he does not fight.
Yes he does.

Old
03-11-2006, 07:15 AM
califlyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodOnTheIce
looks like nov 27, 1999

Wow that box score sure does take me back. I still remember podein's incredible goal for us when he sweeped it in from the goal line boards into the net.

Old
03-11-2006, 09:39 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....wrapup/1.html

Most shocking overpayment?

On the surface, I'd give it to Philadelphia for sending two second rounders and tough guy Josh Gratton to Phoenix for the marginally useful Denis Gauthier. Of course, that's all hypothetical. The true value of the draft picks won't be known for years, and they may end up bringing little to the Coyotes. Still, that's a lot of assets for a guy who averages fewer than six minutes a period.
shows what some, actually most, american reporters know about about hockey. there was plenty of other over payments, Gauthier wasnt even an over payment IMO.

there's:

Recchi
Roloson (probably the worst)
Mitchell

Old
03-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Lupul*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
To be honest, I think we underpaid for Gauthier. We needed a defensive stalwart with a mean presence in the backend. Hatcher has somewhat mellowed with age and he isn't the agitator that Gauthier is. Gauthier is going to fill a very important role for us. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This man has the tools to impact the team the way Danny Markov did. He might not have Markov's offensive game, but defensively, he's just as good and just as mean.
I hope you're right about that.

Old
03-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
The Canes actually only rid them selves of dead weight in both deals, except for the draft picks, which were not bad considering what they got, since the first rounder for Weight will be low.

Old
03-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Overpayment? Clarke had the assets to move to shore up a position he wanted to improve.

It's arguable that there are a few deals of comparable payment that may or may not pay off.

03-11-2006, 11:02 AM
MojoJojo

IMO the Witt trade has to take the cake. Beetch still has a good chance of turning into a decent NHL player. Easily worth a third, I'd take him over Dimitrakos anyway. We did overpay for Gauthier though.

Old
03-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
IMO the Witt trade has to take the cake. Beetch still has a good chance of turning into a decent NHL player. Easily worth a third, I'd take him over Dimitrakos anyway. We did overpay for Gauthier though.
Yep. Two seconds and a roster player, even if he's a limited minute middleweight, is higher than what we've seen in past seasons at the deadline. Couldn't Clarke convince Barnett that Brashear has value and dumped him instead? At least Gratton tries to do his job....

Old
03-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Muir
This, from a guy who last week said the Flyers should trade Steve Downie and a 2nd for Mark Recchi.

9 crappy proposals and 1 that was basically a newspaper rumor.

Old
03-11-2006, 12:57 PM
paxtang

Gauthier fights. But for the amount of dirty hits he makes, not nearly enough. But his major problem is that he's a total spot picker, which is what caused the Fedoruk situation. He was never going to fight the Fridge for his hits, so Nedved got annihilated instead. Now, the Coyotes didn't have an enforcer out there, so that added to the problem, but I wouldn't be suprised that this guy get's us into at least one brawl or situation like that. And we don't really have the back up to deal with it, regardless of what Hitchcock says.

Closed Thread