HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most shocking overpayment at the trade deadline?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2006, 10:39 PM
  #1
califlyersfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Most shocking overpayment at the trade deadline?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....wrapup/1.html




Most shocking overpayment?

On the surface, I'd give it to Philadelphia for sending two second rounders and tough guy Josh Gratton to Phoenix for the marginally useful Denis Gauthier. Of course, that's all hypothetical. The true value of the draft picks won't be known for years, and they may end up bringing little to the Coyotes. Still, that's a lot of assets for a guy who averages fewer than six minutes a period.

califlyersfan is offline  
Old
03-10-2006, 11:08 PM
  #2
goodrev
Registered User
 
goodrev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 367
vCash: 500
a first rounder and future considerations for dwayne roloson gets my vote, its in a tie with the Witt trade for a first and Beech... both were gross overpayments and gauthier isnt even close to either of those, we got gauthier for 2 picks and filler

goodrev is offline  
Old
03-10-2006, 11:25 PM
  #3
Philly Flyer Fan*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bolton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,082
vCash: 500
Canes gave up alot for Rex in my opinion

Philly Flyer Fan* is offline  
Old
03-10-2006, 11:51 PM
  #4
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Flyer Fan
Canes gave up alot for Rex in my opinion
The Canes have sold a LOT of future to bring in Weight (who hasn't even scored a goal) and Recchi. I hope it's worth it for them.

I don't think Gauthier is an overpayment because we had to outbid the Rangers. Clarke said it himself, we now have a player like Kasparaitis (except he'll fight) all to ourselves. There's no way Clarke would allow the Rangers to have 2 players like that and none for ourselves.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 12:07 AM
  #5
BloodOnTheIce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Florida for resigning Jokinen for too much
Not saying he didn't deserve a raise, but to more than double his salary? What a waste of money. After they lock up Luongo they will have how much locked up in 2 players?

BloodOnTheIce is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 12:18 AM
  #6
califlyersfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
The Canes have sold a LOT of future to bring in Weight (who hasn't even scored a goal) and Recchi. I hope it's worth it for them.

I don't think Gauthier is an overpayment because we had to outbid the Rangers. Clarke said it himself, we now have a player like Kasparaitis (except he'll fight) all to ourselves. There's no way Clarke would allow the Rangers to have 2 players like that and none for ourselves.

Gauthier doesn't fight either. He wears a visor and was called a lot of things we call kasper earlier in the season for hitting dirty and not fighting.

califlyersfan is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 01:00 AM
  #7
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by califlyersfan
Gauthier doesn't fight either. He wears a visor and was called a lot of things we call kasper earlier in the season for hitting dirty and not fighting.
That's not what I've heard at all. But, stats are always better than opinion, right?

dropyourgloves.com (useful site) says he has 26 career NHL fights. He's only been a full-time NHLer since 1999 so that's pretty decent for a French-Canadian visor-wearing defenseman.

Kasparaitis on the other hand, has 25 career NHL fights in 13 seasons in the NHL, including a couple where he went an entire season without a fight (the year before the lockout was the latest).

Gauthier has 5 fights already this year, that's only one less than the almighty Brashear. Kaspar has 1 "fight" this year and that was the involuntary one against Brash.

Whether Gauthier is good at it or not remains to be seen. The fact is, he drops the gloves more frequently than Kaspar ever would and that's fine by me.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 01:01 AM
  #8
BloodOnTheIce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
I wouldnt listen to much that comes from Allan Muir. Major tool. Guy still puts on a pink sock to masterbate.

He thought philly should trade downie and a 2nd rounder for Recchi

and he thinks that was ok, but we overpaid Gauthier

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...oposals/2.html


Last edited by BloodOnTheIce: 03-11-2006 at 02:33 AM.
BloodOnTheIce is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 01:07 AM
  #9
califlyersfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodOnTheIce
I wouldnt listen to much that comes from Allan Muir. Major tool. Guy still puts on a pink sock to masterbate.

He thought philly should trade downie and a 2nd rounder for Recchi

and he thinks that was ok, but we overpaid Gauthier

Considering we could have signed recchi for for no player or draft pick cost, wow downie and a 2nd for recchi? What a dumb azz. WOW lol

califlyersfan is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 03:04 AM
  #10
Golden Foppa
Registered User
 
Golden Foppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
we now have a player like Kasparaitis (except he'll fight)
He turtled against Adam Deadmarsh once. Deadmarsh was dragging him around the ice by the strap of his jersey . It is from this game in the second period after Gauthier cross checked Forsberg.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/2000/991127/boxscore/cgycol.html

Golden Foppa is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 03:09 AM
  #11
califlyersfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenfoppa94
He turtled against Adam Deadmarsh once. Deadmarsh was dragging him around the ice by the strap of his jersey . It is from this game in the second period after Gauthier cross checked Forsberg.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/2000/991127/boxscore/cgycol.html

Do you know the date of that game?

califlyersfan is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 03:17 AM
  #12
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenfoppa94
He turtled against Adam Deadmarsh once. Deadmarsh was dragging him around the ice by the strap of his jersey . It is from this game in the second period after Gauthier cross checked Forsberg.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/2000/991127/boxscore/cgycol.html
I'm not saying he's NEVER turtled. You'd be hard pressed to find an NHLer who hasn't run from a fight or a "tough guy" who hasn't turtled.

I'm merely saying he does a lot more to stand up for himself than Kasparaitis does, which goes a long way in my books.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 03:17 AM
  #13
BloodOnTheIce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by califlyersfan
Do you know the date of that game?
looks like nov 27, 1999

BloodOnTheIce is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 03:19 AM
  #14
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,149
vCash: 500
To be honest, I think we underpaid for Gauthier. We needed a defensive stalwart with a mean presence in the backend. Hatcher has somewhat mellowed with age and he isn't the agitator that Gauthier is. Gauthier is going to fill a very important role for us. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This man has the tools to impact the team the way Danny Markov did. He might not have Markov's offensive game, but defensively, he's just as good and just as mean.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 04:17 AM
  #15
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,256
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Flyer Fan
Canes gave up alot for Rex in my opinion


We gave up more for Gauthier. And he does not fight.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 06:45 AM
  #16
Steve L*
Registered User
 
Steve L*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southampton, England
Country: England
Posts: 11,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
We gave up more for Gauthier. And he does not fight.
Yes he does.

Steve L* is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 07:15 AM
  #17
califlyersfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodOnTheIce
looks like nov 27, 1999


Wow that box score sure does take me back. I still remember podein's incredible goal for us when he sweeped it in from the goal line boards into the net.

califlyersfan is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 09:39 AM
  #18
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by califlyersfan
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....wrapup/1.html




Most shocking overpayment?

On the surface, I'd give it to Philadelphia for sending two second rounders and tough guy Josh Gratton to Phoenix for the marginally useful Denis Gauthier. Of course, that's all hypothetical. The true value of the draft picks won't be known for years, and they may end up bringing little to the Coyotes. Still, that's a lot of assets for a guy who averages fewer than six minutes a period.
shows what some, actually most, american reporters know about about hockey. there was plenty of other over payments, Gauthier wasnt even an over payment IMO.

there's:

Recchi
Roloson (probably the worst)
Mitchell

RJ8812* is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 09:45 AM
  #19
Lupul*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
To be honest, I think we underpaid for Gauthier. We needed a defensive stalwart with a mean presence in the backend. Hatcher has somewhat mellowed with age and he isn't the agitator that Gauthier is. Gauthier is going to fill a very important role for us. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This man has the tools to impact the team the way Danny Markov did. He might not have Markov's offensive game, but defensively, he's just as good and just as mean.
I hope you're right about that.

Lupul* is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 09:51 AM
  #20
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
The Canes have sold a LOT of future to bring in Weight (who hasn't even scored a goal) and Recchi. I hope it's worth it for them.
The Canes actually only rid them selves of dead weight in both deals, except for the draft picks, which were not bad considering what they got, since the first rounder for Weight will be low.

Pantokrator is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 10:46 AM
  #21
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 57,037
vCash: 500
Awards:
Overpayment? Clarke had the assets to move to shore up a position he wanted to improve.

It's arguable that there are a few deals of comparable payment that may or may not pay off.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 11:02 AM
  #22
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
IMO the Witt trade has to take the cake. Beetch still has a good chance of turning into a decent NHL player. Easily worth a third, I'd take him over Dimitrakos anyway. We did overpay for Gauthier though.

MojoJojo is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 11:29 AM
  #23
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 57,037
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
IMO the Witt trade has to take the cake. Beetch still has a good chance of turning into a decent NHL player. Easily worth a third, I'd take him over Dimitrakos anyway. We did overpay for Gauthier though.
Yep. Two seconds and a roster player, even if he's a limited minute middleweight, is higher than what we've seen in past seasons at the deadline. Couldn't Clarke convince Barnett that Brashear has value and dumped him instead? At least Gratton tries to do his job....

Chainshot is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 12:42 PM
  #24
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Muir
On the surface, I'd give it to Philadelphia for sending two second rounders and tough guy Josh Gratton to Phoenix for the marginally useful Denis Gauthier. Of course, that's all hypothetical. The true value of the draft picks won't be known for years, and they may end up bringing little to the Coyotes. Still, that's a lot of assets for a guy who averages fewer than six minutes a period.
This, from a guy who last week said the Flyers should trade Steve Downie and a 2nd for Mark Recchi.

9 crappy proposals and 1 that was basically a newspaper rumor.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
03-11-2006, 12:57 PM
  #25
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Gauthier fights. But for the amount of dirty hits he makes, not nearly enough. But his major problem is that he's a total spot picker, which is what caused the Fedoruk situation. He was never going to fight the Fridge for his hits, so Nedved got annihilated instead. Now, the Coyotes didn't have an enforcer out there, so that added to the problem, but I wouldn't be suprised that this guy get's us into at least one brawl or situation like that. And we don't really have the back up to deal with it, regardless of what Hitchcock says.

paxtang is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.