HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Kovalev is Worth the Dough

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2006, 10:29 AM
GoldenForum

vCash: 500
Why Kovalev is Worth the Dough

To any Kovalev naysayers out there, this is why you pay a guy like Kovalev the bucks he's getting:

Winning Goal against Panthers (1-0)
Opening Goal against Bruins (3-0)
Beautiful set-up last night against the Rangers for the only goal.

Without those plays, perhaps we lose 2 of those 3 games.

He's a difference maker, something the Habs have sorely lacked over the past decade. He may not score 40 goals, but he elevates his game when it's on the line. Nobody can beat Luongo all night- he roofs a beauty that only a goal scorer can. Makes Thomas look silly. And feeds Rivet an extremely sweet pass that proves to be the only thing to get by Lundquist (who is going to be great). And, of course, there are the playoffs 2 years ago.

Yes, maybe he's a bit overpaid at 4.5 mil a year, but that's what it takes in the NHL to get a superstar on your team. The man is a magician.

ps. you can feel Gainey truly transforming this team- talent and grit. I smile as I think ahead to Kovalev, Koivu, Markov, Komi, Pleks, Chipchura, Higgins, Tender, Kots, Price, Obryne...

Old
03-12-2006, 10:33 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Gamebreaker, difference maker, impact player. Was about time too.

Old
03-12-2006, 10:36 AM
katodelder

Yes Gainey is transforming the team, I'm glad you made this comment.

Ever since I've watched the Habs they've been an average / below average offensive club that routinely gives up 40 shots a night and relies on a star goalie.

THOSE DAYS ARE OVER.

Now the Habs will become a grittier team that hits and blocks shots and plays good team defence and will not be hijacked by a holier-than-thou star goalie. The offense still needs improvement...

Old
03-12-2006, 12:24 PM
BORAT

this is the reason the guy is worth the money :

- Adores playing with the Habs ( to the point where he'S taking french lessons )
- Game breaking craziness
- Just dominant in the offensive zone and EXCELLENT in his zone.

I think that for 4.5 Million , I wouldn't mind another Kovalev on this team

Old
03-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
Gamebreaker, difference maker, impact player. Was about time too.
That's the main thing for me. Despite all his faults, the fact that he's an impact player makes all the difference in the world. We can complain about Kovalev's flaws, and he does have some big ones, but at the end of the day, he's the type of guy who can decide a game for you and we needed that.

Old
03-12-2006, 12:33 PM
goalchenyuk

Kovalev !

he's our best player with Markov !

Old
03-12-2006, 12:42 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Why is he worth so much?

Cause, he has more points then Koivu period. End of discussion.

Seriously, he truely makes a difference, in important games. Each time, I see him shooting in critical times, I say to myself ''GAME OVER''. He's really skilled and brings something special offensively to our team. I'm glad we've him and I"m ok with him making 4.5 personally...

Old
03-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Teufelsdreck

Simple. Take away Kovalev for a whole season and the Habs aren't in the playoffs. Does anyone notice how much attention he draws whenever he's on the ice? Amd how he shakes off Dmen in the offensive zone? Also, he's big and he hits hard. Compared with him, the other top six forwards on the team are pygmies. He weighs 50 pounds more than Ribeiro, for instance.

Old
03-12-2006, 03:19 PM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Simple. Take away Kovalev for a whole season and the Habs aren't in the playoffs. Does anyone notice how much attention he draws whenever he's on the ice? Amd how he shakes off Dmen in the offensive zone? Also, he's big and he hits hard. Compared with him, the other top six forwards on the team are pygmies. He weighs 50 pounds more than Ribeiro, for instance.
Bouillon weights 25 pounds more than Ribeiro..and he's 4 inches shorter...

It's agreed that Ribs is too light right now. If he put on an extra 20 pounds, the guy would be a whole lot more beast like...although im wondering if that's just gonna make him slower....but....

200 pound Ribeiro >>>>>> 175 pound Ribeiro

Old
03-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin_goon
Bouillon weights 25 pounds more than Ribeiro..and he's 4 inches shorter...

It's agreed that Ribs is too light right now. If he put on an extra 20 pounds, the guy would be a whole lot more beast like...although im wondering if that's just gonna make him slower....but....

200 pound Ribeiro >>>>>> 175 pound Ribeiro
Who knows, it might slow him down so much that he skates like a Flyer Dman.

Old
03-12-2006, 03:25 PM
CHareth

Why does this have to morph into another anti-Ribeiro thread?

GoldenForum, you forgot the game against Ottawa when he returned from injury and won the game pretty much all by himself. That was a masterful performance. If he's on, sit back and enjoy the ride. Just don't expect him to do that every night or even every shift, or else you'll hate him. I accept him for what he is and am glad he plays for the good guys.

Old
03-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Scotianhab

The trade for Kovy came out of nowhere last season but I'm sure glad Bob pulled the trigger.

Old
03-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Guy Caballero

Our PP begins and ends with Kovalev. We are currently 7th on the PP, and it's mostly because of his work at the top of the faceoff circle.

He's been worth every penny, IMO. If you look at the players in his salary range (Kariya, Demitra, Modano, Holik, Elias, Murray), I think what Kovy brings to the Habs is equally valuable.

In fact, with Theo gone, I think every Hab with the exceptions of Bonk and Zednik has given us good bang for the buck this season.

Old
03-12-2006, 04:32 PM
jpchabby

wouldn't it be nice to have another guy like him, a LW?? I mean, you ncould have the guy as a LW, Kovalev as a RW, and you put Koivu in the middle... OMG, it would be awesome

we have the money for it... LET'S DO IT !!!

We woudl have an incredible offense, a good defense and a goaler that doesn't let goals lol, would be so hot

Old
03-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby
wouldn't it be nice to have another guy like him, a LW?? I mean, you ncould have the guy as a LW, Kovalev as a RW, and you put Koivu in the middle... OMG, it would be awesome

We woudl have an incredible offense, a good defense and a goaler that doesn't let goals lol, would be so hot
I think the $$$ is better spent on a big guy who can create havok in front while Saku and Kovy create plays.

Old
03-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby

There is a guy like that, but unfortunately he was snatched up by Edmonton. His name is Sergei Samsonov.

Old
03-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
I think the $$$ is better spent on a big guy who can create havok in front while Saku and Kovy create plays.
Will that be Guillaume next season? I wonder.

Old
03-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Will that be Guillaume next season? I wonder.
I'd actually like to bring in a guy like Keith Primeau -- a big, tough two-way centre who can log lots of minutes, kill penalties, and contribute offensively. In a perfect world, Radek Bonk would have been that guy for us this year. But we all know how that turned out.

Old
03-12-2006, 05:03 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

I agree, Kovy is a HUGE part of the team's success. I don't think we would make the playoffs withotu him

Old
03-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Who knows, it might slow him down so much that he skates like a Flyer Dman.
You should watch a bit more hockey i think. To skate that slow, surely some part or all of a leg must be amputated

A guy like Bouillon, you measure his quickness over a certain distance with a stopwatch.

A Flyers defenseman over the same distance, should be measured with a calendar.

Closed Thread