HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Time to Face It

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2006, 03:31 PM
phlacheesesteak

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by priceperlb
So we shouldn't vent our frustration?

This team has been beatable since game one.
What team hasent been beatable since day one?

Quote:
A game where they had leads and lost. They went on a string of one goal wins. That was dominant in the old days, but not now. One ugly bounce or bad call and that one point lead turns to a tie and closer to a loss. It's not so much a complaint but a realistic view of how they have played. We're also into the third MONTH of a "slump".
Playing in one goal games wasnt dominent in the old nhl. If the phrase back then was "a two goal lead is the worst lead in hockey" then a one goal lead isnt any better...then or now.

Quote:
If some of you want to cry that people are just negative when they are venting how about starting threads with a more positive tone? Because you can't. There's nothing positive you can say about them. So we vent. Get over it. It helps me to think about other things if I say what I think of their performance or what I'd like to see them do or even what I think might be the problem. Nobody on the team is changing the way they play because of what I say and saying it's okay, you'll get them next time means nothing to them even if they read it. So I vent. You don't like it YOU do something different.
Dont know why this had to be added, but no body here is restricting your right to free speech yet you feel a need to explain why you have the right to say what your saying? vent away...no one is putting a lock on your keyboard so you cant say what you want to.

Old
03-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylez19
you are criticizing the wrong guy. Like him or not, nedved has really been one of the few guys that has shown up night in and out. I also noticed he has put forth a lot of effort out there, something he isnt exactly known for. I like this aquisition, and i think i start questioning other guys on this team before i look in nedveds direction.
I agree with you here. It looks to me like Nedved, along with Richards, are two of the only consistant performers right now.

Old
03-13-2006, 03:34 PM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindA17
The only thing I don't like about this club is Peter Nedved. I've hated his acquisition since day one. He's a lazy underachiever who has never won anything. He only plays well when his supporting cast plays well. He cannot turn a game around, inspire his teammates, or even look present on the ice when things are bad. Anyway, that's just my little negative rant. I'm sure if we catch on fire again, Nedved will follow suit.

Hes done a lil better since i brought up Nedved last week...not really that much tho.

Im glad to hear im not the only one who thinks of Ned this way

Old
03-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
So we shouldn't vent our frustration?

This team has been beatable since game one. A game where they had leads and lost. They went on a string of one goal wins. That was dominant in the old days, but not now. One ugly bounce or bad call and that one point lead turns to a tie and closer to a loss. It's not so much a complaint but a realistic view of how they have played. We're also into the third MONTH of a "slump".

You can't add a scorer. There's no guarantee they would actually score. The guys they have can score, just haven't been doing it enough. It's the quitting that kills me and that's mental. Injuries are certainly a part of that, no denying it. I think big free agent acquisitions of plodding defensemen who look lazy also has had it's effect on the team as a whole. These guys were brought in to be big time contributors and have been a detriment to the team. How do you think the rookies feel about that? They can't tell Rathje, Hatcher, and Therien to pick up the pace. They're still getting acclimated to the NHL. Besides, these guys aren't going to listen to some rookies anyway.

If some of you want to cry that people are just negative when they are venting how about starting threads with a more positive tone? Because you can't. There's nothing positive you can say about them. So we vent. Get over it. It helps me to think about other things if I say what I think of their performance or what I'd like to see them do or even what I think might be the problem. Nobody on the team is changing the way they play because of what I say and saying it's okay, you'll get them next time means nothing to them even if they read it. So I vent. You don't like it YOU do something different.
Ditto.

I apologize for being so negative, but my sports past has made me this way. I give up so easily, because I have never had a Philly sports team in my memory overachieve. Rarely do they even play to potential. Therefore, since This team is not playing to potential, it appears to me to be no different than any other underachieving Philly team. Sure, they might win some games, but logically, they appear to be hopeless. I recognize that logic and sports don't always go together as sometimes teams that are supposed to lose actually win, but not often. Therefore, as my defense mechanism clicks in, I turn pessimistic so as to not have my hopes crushed again by an underachieving team. If they win, I am pleasantly surprised. When they lose, I am prepared for it.

That's my self psycho-analysis. I'd like to see what motivates you positive folks to be so positive. Positivism leads to dissapointment, and dissapointment leads to the dark side...

Old
03-13-2006, 03:37 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
I have not given up but this team yet but man, this team looks lost out there. There is no desperation in their play and the special teams look real special (as in special education). Before the break I thought it was just a dry spell. I figured it was the injuries catching up but that was two weeks ago. The looked better before the break. They are just dreadfull now. Hitch and the boys better do something soon. I know Zues and Kim are hurt but these problems cannot be fixed by getting them two healthly. I think it is going to be a quick exit out of the playoff this season. I know there are 18 (or something like that) games left and there is time to right the ship, but man is it getting close to the iceburg.

Go Flyers!!!
I echo these sentiments. It's hard to watch but I will keep watching, BEGGING for a change in their play sometime soon.

Old
03-13-2006, 03:38 PM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16
It's pretty simple to be negative and criticize, but when they turn it around, you guys will be right in there happy as pigs in #$%^^. To say that you hope they suck to get a better draft pick is embarrassing for me as a lifelong fan. It sucks to be a fan of Philadelphia sports, tons of dissapointment, if you don't realize there will be bumps, please become a Bandwagon fan and jump ship. We are 2 pts out of the divisional lead , and people cry that we suck, I was frustrated as hell that we lost last night, but trying to stay positive and staying behind your team is what makes cheering for them exciting.

This is just my rant, but god is it frustrating to read some peoples reactions.
I know this one has been quoted and complimented before, but it deserves another one

Old
03-13-2006, 04:05 PM
BrindA17

Send a message via AIM to BrindA17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfphillystyle
Hes done a lil better since i brought up Nedved last week...not really that much tho.

Im glad to hear im not the only one who thinks of Ned this way
I think it's only realistic given Nedved's track record. Getting Nedved was a mistake and he will not be a Flyer for very long.

Old
03-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Max_fly

Send a message via MSN to Max_fly
Hello, usually I don't write and maybe I shouldn't speak this time too, because I live in Italy and unluckily I can see only few games and highlights of Phila's games but, men, reading this forum right now it seems to me you're more defeatists than we are here in Italy when we speak about football.
In the beginning of this season, when I saw our roster, I said to myself that we couldn't have competed for the Stanley.
Then I saw first 3 months with all the injuries we had and quite I couldn't believe we were playing in such a way.
Then again we finished in a hole before Olympics and this hole isn't finished yet.

I'm sad seeing team playing in such a way but we are near the Rangers and play-off are another story: memories of october-november and december remind me that this team is able to play great hockey and till the word "end" isn't write, I believe they all can turn around and give us satisfaction.

BELIEVE and only after vaste this season and this team!

Old
03-13-2006, 04:13 PM
priceperlb*

Quote:
What team hasent been beatable since day one?

I don't know. I'm not talking about every team. If you cared to try to understand I said why I thought so. Not just some generic statement about sports in general.

Playing in one goal games wasnt dominent in the old nhl. If the phrase back then was "a two goal lead is the worst lead in hockey" then a one goal lead isnt any better...then or now.

Yes it was. That phrase meant teams stopped playing offensively. That's why it was the worst lead in hockey. One was considered better because you couldn't sit back. But that's what teams did and the good ones won plenty that way. See New Jersey Devils.

Dont know why this had to be added, but no body here is restricting your right to free speech yet you feel a need to explain why you have the right to say what your saying? vent away...no one is putting a lock on your keyboard so you cant say what you want to.

Because I felt like venting in that direction. I'm not complaining about restrictions on free speech. I'm using it. I'm complaining about people who try to belittle others ideas in order to affect a restriction. They're just complaining about complaining. What's their point? Where's their positivity threads? Where's yours?

Old
03-13-2006, 04:16 PM
phlacheesesteak

i can say waht i want...positive or negative...

PS. Devils won because of their defensive trap system, great defense, some great lines and a great goalie in that system...not because they won one goal games consistantly. The fact they won a few cups is attributed to their coaching and everything else i mentioned above....not because one goal games were a dominant way to win.

Last edited by phlacheesesteak: 03-13-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old
03-13-2006, 04:22 PM
priceperlb*

If we stop complaining and start "believing" then what will we have to talk about?

Nobody but the players have given up. You can tell that by the amout of talk about what we'd like to see done. Whether it's player acquisitions, benchings, line changes, or coaching changes.

The idea that the people here have somehow given up is rediculous and misses the point. If they aren't playing well people talk about why and what should be done. If they're doing well they talk about what they're doing right and how great so and so is. It's not bandwagon jumping. It's not self imposed negativity. It's commenting on what we see and would like to see.

Will the "believers" and "true" fans start the threads to "show us the way". It's just too ironic that when people complain about a problem they're called negative by the people complaining about them. The common thread being complaining.

Old
03-13-2006, 04:24 PM
priceperlb*

Quote:
i can say waht i want...positive or negative...
Who said you couldn't? I said start some positivity threads so everyone can see how it's done. Miss the point much?

Old
03-13-2006, 04:25 PM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Who said you couldn't? I said start some positivity threads so everyone can see how it's done. Miss the point much?

you asked me a question and i answered...take it or leave it

Old
03-13-2006, 04:28 PM
sansan

Don't get you Nedved bashers. He was the only one who I thought gave a **** last night.

Old
03-13-2006, 04:31 PM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansan
Don't get you Nedved bashers. He was the only one who I thought gave a **** last night.
your right, and he has been playing better recently...but nevertheless, i still dont like him. I dont see him consistantly giving a **** game after game...reminds me of Jagr, from time to time he plays when he wants to regardless of the team

Old
03-13-2006, 04:31 PM
priceperlb*

Did you answer it? Certainly didn't answer any question I asked. Oh well. No chance of actuall discussion here. I'll be looking for the positive thread soon. Hopefully you won't wait until things turn around when it's easier to be positive.

Old
03-13-2006, 04:33 PM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Did you answer it? Certainly didn't answer any question I asked. Oh well. No chance of actuall discussion here. I'll be looking for the positive thread soon. Hopefully you won't wait until things turn around when it's easier to be positive.
OK. you asked at the end of the post wheres yours?, if you want to know...go find it. I think its at the end of the GTD from the first game back from the olympic break. But yes, i answered you question when you asked wheres the positivity and that stuff when i said i say what i want.

and before you go asking more questions, i ll answer you before you can even ask...

no that is not that last positive thing i said about the Flyers, Aparently im one of the few who actually believes Philly will still contend for the cup.

Old
03-13-2006, 04:40 PM
priceperlb*

Quote:
OK. you asked at the end of the post wheres yours?, if you want to know...go find it. I think its at the end of the GTD from the first game back from the olympic break. But yes, i answered you question when you asked wheres the positivity and that stuff when i said i say what i want.
Well that's a post then and not a thread. Slight distinction, but since we're discussing this in the "Time to face it" thread it's a distinction that should be clear.

Complaining about complaining isn't positive. Complaining and agreeing with the people who believe they are positive makes you contradictory. You're allowed to be. I'm not trying to take that away from you. It's just shows a weak mindset. I don't think you want to be known as that, so I try to point it out.

BTW, the Devils weren't the only team winning 1 goal games in the old NHL. Scoring was way down all over and most wins were 1 goal games. Cheers!

Old
03-13-2006, 05:06 PM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Well that's a post then and not a thread. Slight distinction, but since we're discussing this in the "Time to face it" thread it's a distinction that should be clear.

Complaining about complaining isn't positive. Complaining and agreeing with the people who believe they are positive makes you contradictory. You're allowed to be. I'm not trying to take that away from you. It's just shows a weak mindset. I don't think you want to be known as that, so I try to point it out.

BTW, the Devils weren't the only team winning 1 goal games in the old NHL. Scoring was way down all over and most wins were 1 goal games. Cheers!
what are u talking about. call me what you want i dont care, if you get kicks out of putting down people go for it. but im not contradicting myself. If you think i am then you feel free to show me how i am.

Old
03-13-2006, 05:13 PM
phlacheesesteak

BTW i said post, and not thread..

U gonna tell me next I made a mistake writing GTD instead of GDT????

Last edited by phlacheesesteak: 03-13-2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old
03-13-2006, 05:26 PM
priceperlb*

Here's an example of how you miss the point. I know you said post. I asked you to start a thread. I don't care where your post is. I asked you to start a thread. See?

I'm not putting you down, just pointing out a flaw in your character so you could examine yourself and make changes for the future. Kind of like telling someone their fly is down. It's what friends do. Nothing to get defensive about. I tried, what more can I do?

Old
03-13-2006, 06:22 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
anyone else thinks that this still all links back to hitch NOT starting storr against chicago, when we played the wings the next day or 2 days from then? thats when our slump really started........... interesting to think about what coulda been

Old
03-13-2006, 06:30 PM
FlyersFanJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercraft
anyone else thinks that this still all links back to hitch NOT starting storr against chicago, when we played the wings the next day or 2 days from then? thats when our slump really started........... interesting to think about what coulda been
nah, if it was a pure goaltending thing...still probably not....but it's the team as a whole

Old
03-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Broad st phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercraft
im sure it wouldnt change much, whatever were gonna make the playoffs and lets take it from there. last nights game sucked, oh well it happens

lets man up and stop all the whinning

Old
03-13-2006, 06:32 PM
John Flyers Fan

Obviously the team is playing horrible at the moment ... and things look like the spring won't be real fun.

Things can change in a real hurry though. In 03-04 we played a stretch where we won just 3 of 18 games .. we then swept Toronto in a home and home and played great hockey for a while ... then we finished the season going 1-3-1 .. with the tie being an absolute gift.

Closed Thread