HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rozsival's impending raise

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2006, 12:18 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Rozsival's impending raise

From Sunday's Post:

And there's almost certainly going to be a serious issue with Michal Rozsival, who's on a one-year, $703,000 deal and likely will seek arbitration for at least $2.5M if the Blueshirts don't come across with a representative long-term offer. Rozsival appears as if he's going to have quite the case, too, with his team-leading 22:28 of ice per game and his plus-31 that had him tied for third in the NHL through Friday night. Rozsival's return, therefore, is no slam dunk.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03122006...gers/60860.htm

For those that are Rozsival fans (and others), would you bring him back at that price, for multiple years? I think that such a price is too expensive for him. Not that I wanted him back in any case, however, such a price tag would only cinch it. He is not worth that much. I would rather spend the money elsewhere. Ozo is here. I would much rather take a run at one of the UFA defensemen and allow a rookie to play as opposed to having no rookie and an over-priced Rozsival.

Old
03-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Bretzky*

You make a good point. If we weren't in such a high playoff position at the deadline, we probably could've made a real nice deal including Rozsival.

Old
03-13-2006, 12:21 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
From Sunday's Post:

And there's almost certainly going to be a serious issue with Michal Rozsival, who's on a one-year, $703,000 deal and likely will seek arbitration for at least $2.5M if the Blueshirts don't come across with a representative long-term offer. Rozsival appears as if he's going to have quite the case, too, with his team-leading 22:28 of ice per game and his plus-31 that had him tied for third in the NHL through Friday night. Rozsival's return, therefore, is no slam dunk.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03122006...gers/60860.htm

For those that are Rozsival fans (and others), would you bring him back at that price, for multiple years? I think that such a price is too expensive for him. Not that I wanted him back in any case, however, such a price tag would only cinch it. He is not worth that much. I would rather spend the money elsewhere. Ozo is here. I would much rather take a run at one of the UFA defensemen and allow a rookie to play as opposed to having no rookie and an over-priced Rozsival.
I'd give him maybe a 50% raise. Make him a million dollar player. He's played well enough for that. I think he is also replaceable so if he thinks he can do better elsewhere then I'd let him try.

Old
03-13-2006, 12:24 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Tyutin, Ozolinsh, Malik, Kasparaitis are here for sure.

All depends on whether we can sign an upgrade on Rozsival (Redden, Chara, etc). If we do, that leaves only one spot left in top six. Was hoping Staal would fill it.

Old
03-13-2006, 12:32 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor

All depends on whether we can sign an upgrade on Rozsival (Redden, Chara, etc). If we do, that leaves only one spot left in top six. Was hoping Staal would fill it.
agreed on that! staal and chara if available should be the options!

Old
03-13-2006, 12:33 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
I'd give him maybe a 50% raise. Make him a million dollar player. He's played well enough for that. I think he is also replaceable so if he thinks he can do better elsewhere then I'd let him try.
He's easily replaceable. But that is only a partial factor. If you allow Rozsival to take you to arbitration, he is going to get awarded the contract. So it's either they work out a compensation package and either sign him or, IMO, you need to cut bait and not give him the opportunity to take you to arbitration.

Old
03-13-2006, 12:35 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor

It's more than that. If Rozsival gets a multi-year deal, it locks up four spots for the 07-08 season (with Kaspar and Malik still under contract and presumably Tyutin).

03-13-2006, 12:37 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He's easily replaceable. But that is only a partial factor. If you allow Rozsival to take you to arbitration, he is going to get awarded the contract. So it's either they work out a compensation package and either sign him or, IMO, you need to cut bait and not give him the opportunity to take you to arbitration.
In the old CBA, the team could walk away from an arbiitration ruling even if they won (remember the Bruin's doing it).

Has that changed?

Old
03-13-2006, 12:40 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Agree and agree with Klingsor too that a Chara or a Redden signing should be tackled first. I was just commenting on what I believe he's worth. One thing is the Rangers can walk away from an arbitration I believe if they don't like the ruling. IMO even with a pretty decent season he does not have a whole hell of a lot of leverage here.

Old
03-13-2006, 12:46 PM
shoothepuck

He's not worth 2.5 mil, but then neither is Poti,Ozo,Kasper ect., for their big $ contracts. Management may fell otherwise, but he's not worth a multi year deal.

Old
03-13-2006, 12:55 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
Agree and agree with Klingsor too that a Chara or a Redden signing should be tackled first.
I think Chara stays in Ottawa. However, Redden is not the only option as to who is an easy upgrade over Rozsival. You also would include Jovo, McCabe, Witt & Mitchell as those who are. And I would even go a step further and state that as even without Rozsival, there are quite enough puck-moving defensemen here for next year, I would probably sign Gauthier, failing to get any of those whom I have just mentioned, instead of Rozsival.

Old
03-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Fletch

$2.5M is way too much...

especially with Ozo at $2.75M and Malik around $2.5M too. This team seems to need scoring outside Jagr, and I'm not sure where they're going to get it.

Old
03-13-2006, 01:35 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
This team seems to need scoring outside Jagr, and I'm not sure where they're going to get it.
The answer could be as easy as having a true playmaker between Prucha & Sykora.

Old
03-13-2006, 01:53 PM
polako

roszival is good, but not worth over 2 million. if he can't be resigned at a reasonable price, sather should cut the cord. there are plenty of young defensemen waiting in hartford.

however, if he won't go over 1.5 - 1.7 to resign roszival, he should not go over 3 for any defenseman not named chara.

Old
03-13-2006, 02:02 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako
however, if he won't go over 1.5 - 1.7 to resign roszival, he should not go over 3 for any defenseman not named chara.
If Chara's price is between $5.5-6m and Redden is between $4.5-5m, the next tier is not going to be set at $3m. The next tier will have Jovo & McCabe at probably around $3.25-$4M. Then you have Witt, probably at around $3m. Mitchell is probably .$5m or so behind Witt & Gauthier, not lagging far behind.

Old
03-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Nemchinov13

I'm not familiar with Roszie's situation. Do we have to go to the arbitration? Could we just allow him walk? Roszie is not the best defenseman we have (Tyutin is just as good and Kaspar is better defensively) and with Poti and his $2.5 M contract walking this summer, and a few UFA-to-be forwards (Rucinsky, Straka, Rucchin), we could have a nice amount of cap room to sign one of Chara, Redden, McCabe, Jovo and a 2nd tier top 6 forward. Assuming, of course, that we could re-sign Sykora. The sixth spot on defense will go to one of Pock, Staal, Baranka, Liffiton, Strudwick. I could actually see either Pock or Staal as the 6th defenseman and Struds being the 7th.

Old
03-13-2006, 03:08 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13
I'm not familiar with Roszie's situation. Do we have to go to the arbitration? Could we just allow him walk?
The Rangers could let him walk and not miss a beat. The choices come down to:
1. Negotiate a price tag that will be lower than the projected arbitration amount.
2. Let him take the team to arbitration and win a salary that is unsuitable.
3. Allow for him to simply walk away.

My choice is # 3.

Old
03-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
The Rangers could let him walk and not miss a beat. The choices come down to:
1. Negotiate a price tag that will be lower than the projected arbitration amount.
2. Let him take the team to arbitration and win a salary that is unsuitable.
3. Allow for him to simply walk away.

My choice is # 3.
Mine too. I like your defense of Tyutin, Kaspar, Malik, Ozo, Staal/Pock and a top flight UFA (Redden/Chara/Jovo).

Old
03-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Fletch

We could, Nemchinov...

assuming that Rucinsky and Straka aren't here next season, but I gather they will be.

Back on Rozsival, what I've noticed with this defense is that it's the system, which includes the forwards, and the goalie that help that GAA immensely. A guy like Malik, who many touted as this team's best defenseman, goes down for four games and the GAA on the team actually lowers in that time frame. Perhaps four games isn't the best sample, but it seems as though Renney's done a great job in that he's created a defensive system in which you can insert defensemen and not miss a beat. Heck, Pock played a couple games and this team gave up two goals in each, and Pock's not good defensively. So me, I spend more on forwards and look for scoring that I do on defense. With Kaspar, Ozo and Malik already signed to nice contracts, the defense isn't that cheap either.

Old
03-13-2006, 03:14 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
assuming that Rucinsky and Straka aren't here next season, but I gather they will be.
Not that I want to go off on a tangent, but I simply do not see how all 3 of Straka, Sykora & Rucinsky can be resigned. There simply is no room for all three. Jagr takes up one spot on the top line. A resigned Straka is his other wing. Prucha takes up one spot on the 2nd line. A resigned Sykora is his other wing. I do not see where Rucinsky fits in.
At this point, it seems that resigning Rucinsky & Rozsival is once again going down the path of "one vet too many".

Old
03-13-2006, 03:18 PM
cassius

If you would've told me Rozy would turn into a legitimate top pairing D man with a +30 rating, I would've punched you in the face.

I'm glad he worked out for you guys. What things has Rozsival improved with his game? I don't get to watch many NYR games to track his progress.

Old
03-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Fletch

Yeah...

looks like there's no room, but they'll find it, I gather, unless Rucinsky lays a huge bomb between now and the end of the season/playoffs. Rucinsky would add offense to a third line, and this team needs points from its third line. Not sure that's the role in which Rucinsky wants to play, but hopefully we'll see more of Prucha next season than we have the past couple months.

Old
03-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Fletch

Where Rozy has improved...

is in the goaltending of the team, and the offensive output that's present when he's on the ice. To get a large plus, of course, you need to be on the ice for plenty of even strength goals. He's only been a part of 13 ES goals (scoring two), so he has been the beneficiary of being out there with Jagr a lot. I personally do not see much difference in his game now than in PITT - the Rangers are just in a better situation.

Old
03-13-2006, 03:25 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
I think Chara stays in Ottawa. However, Redden is not the only option as to who is an easy upgrade over Rozsival. You also would include Jovo, McCabe, Witt & Mitchell as those who are. And I would even go a step further and state that as even without Rozsival, there are quite enough puck-moving defensemen here for next year, I would probably sign Gauthier, failing to get any of those whom I have just mentioned, instead of Rozsival.
I only brought those two up because they're the best to go after but yes there are plenty of others. I don't have a big problem bringing Roszival back per se but I wouldn't be giving him $1.5 mill either. 1.2 is about the absolute limit. He's been good more than less but to me he's nothing all that special and if he walks then he walks--we'll find somebody else. There is also Rachunek running around and I don't know what the Rangers plans are for him. If we were to move up in the upcoming draft maybe they'll use him for that. There are loads of options though. An average defenseman has got to take what he can get. If they do sign Roszival again though I'd prefer it for one year.

Old
03-13-2006, 03:29 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Make Rosizal the QO of $738k and if he files for salary arbitration and gets a big award,the Rangers can just walk away from the ruling or trade him before the QO is made or before he files for arb.Maybe another club makes to commit dollars to Rosizal

Closed Thread