HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Espn rips us yet again

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2006, 03:34 PM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Espn rips us yet again

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nhl/powerranking

Just when Islanders fans think their team has turned it all around (wins over the Devils and Flyers), they see an iceberg dead ahead (a loss to the Capitals). If the Islanders were awarded points for inconsistency, they'd have the Presidents' Trophy wrapped up. Key games this week against Toronto, Boston and New Jersey will give the Isles an indication of how lousy they will be next year.

Did we ever do anything to espn to promote such hatred? Is there a former player/coach working over there that is a rags fan? I dont get it.

Old
03-13-2006, 03:39 PM
tool123

vCash: 500
I agree with the inconsistency but wins against Boston and Toronto so far, I guess next year looks good!

Old
03-13-2006, 03:43 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGodard49

Just when Islanders fans think their team has turned it all around (wins over the Devils and Flyers), they see an iceberg dead ahead (a loss to the Capitals). If the Islanders were awarded points for inconsistency, they'd have the Presidents' Trophy wrapped up. Key games this week against Toronto, Boston and New Jersey will give the Isles an indication of how lousy they will be next year.

Did we ever do anything to espn to promote such hatred? Is there a former player/coach working over there that is a rags fan? I dont get it.
Well in the week they were talking about we won all those games, does that mean we won't be lousy at all next year? Isn't it a bit too soon to say anything knowing we're going to have a new GM who will have a lot of tools to work with.

Oddly, though the record in the ranking shows that we had already beaten NJ that week. Unless the ESPN week is different and it somehow includes the next game versus NJ.

I've given up on ESPN at being impartial in anyway towards the Isles since it's been the in thing to do for a while just to rip on us.

Mitch

Old
03-13-2006, 03:43 PM
jjricco8

Quote:

What we did was play like poop for extended periods of time. They have been dead on all year.

Old
03-13-2006, 03:48 PM
cjdv16

Quote:

remember... espn pumps out hockey maven's such as barry melrose and john buccigross. see my point.

take what they say about hockey with a grain of salt.

Old
03-13-2006, 03:48 PM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool123
I agree with the inconsistency but wins against Boston and Toronto so far, I guess next year looks good!
Totally agree with you/them about the inconsistancy as well but i think it was more so under ss. He is 12 - 8 - 1 as coach and considering the mess he was brought into i think the team has played much more consistantly.

Old
03-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
It's ESPN, guys. Don't take it too harshly.

Old
03-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

It's called bad journalism and as the salaries of journalism jobs don't keep up with other emerging fields, more crap journalists will enter the profession.

Old
03-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Islanders4Life*

Probably a Ranger fan writes that, or some know everything about Hockey idiot from Toronto

I hope the players read that crap...

Old
03-13-2006, 05:59 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Life
Probably a Ranger fan writes that, or some know everything about Hockey idiot from Toronto

I hope the players read that crap...

It's too bad that espn doesn't allow fan feedback,at the bottom of the article.
the writer looks like an idiot with the isles winning all 3 of those games.

Old
03-13-2006, 09:58 PM
FLAnatic

Send a message via ICQ to FLAnatic Send a message via AIM to FLAnatic
TSN.ca puts has the Isles at 24 still in their power rankings yet have a more positive spin on it...

"Don't write the Isles totally out of the playoffs, even though they traded away Mark Parrish and Brent Sopel for prospects; with G Rick DiPietro playing his best hockey (4-0, 1.42 GAA in his last four games) the Isles are going better than expected. "

TSN Power Rankings

Old
03-13-2006, 10:00 PM
Hunter07

Send a message via AIM to Hunter07
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAnatic
TSN.ca puts has the Isles at 24 still in their power rankings yet have a more positive spin on it...

"Don't write the Isles totally out of the playoffs, even though they traded away Mark Parrish and Brent Sopel for prospects; with G Rick DiPietro playing his best hockey (4-0, 1.42 GAA in his last four games) the Isles are going better than expected. "

TSN Power Rankings
Totally agree with that assesment. The Isles after those deals could very well be a top 5 worse team in the league, but right now they are going strong. DP is playing well so you can't write us off yet.

Old
03-14-2006, 08:18 AM
Bones45

Hockey Idiots from Toronto? have you ever been there?

Toronto hockey fans are some of the most knowledgeable I have ever run into. While most of us only know the Islanders really well, I have run into many people into Toronto who know the NHL very well. While I certainly don't agree with Torontonians choice of a favorite team, they happen to know ALOT about hockey.

But back to the point.

If nothing else, the Isles have been inconsistent all year. That would explain why they get those type comments. Just b/c they win a couple of games in a row against decent teams, doesnt mean that they have turned a corner.

One thing I will admit and fight for is that since Shaw became coach, they have definitely played better. Hopefully it will run to the end of the year.

Old
03-14-2006, 08:31 AM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage
It's called bad journalism and as the salaries of journalism jobs don't keep up with other emerging fields, more crap journalists will enter the profession.
sorry folks...power polls are not journalism or news. it is opinion.

if you want journalism, don't go looking at power polls.

Old
03-14-2006, 09:01 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch
sorry folks...power polls are not journalism or news. it is opinion.

if you want journalism, don't go looking at power polls.
and if the isles had gotten spanked,gone 0-3 instead of 3-0,the writer's opinion wouldn't come off as clueless.

Old
03-14-2006, 09:48 AM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
and if the isles had gotten spanked,gone 0-3 instead of 3-0,the writer's opinion wouldn't come off as clueless.
oh, i should also add, ESPN's is pure uneducated bunk. I've put them to task over it where it counts...in their own special forums where you can comment on the Hockey coverage. In fact, I should make a new thread and a link to complain to them directly.

https://www.espnviewerzone.com/

become a member (zero cost) and you can go to their forums. In their forums there is a Hockey section, where people can complain.

I think it's high time they be taken to task for shoddy hockey coverage.

But, that doesn't exclude the fact that a powerpoll isn't journalism. ESPN's hockey journalism is highly suspect, but had to complain about a powerpoll. The deeper issue is Hockey and ESPN in general.

Old
03-14-2006, 10:01 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
As a Canes fan, I had to give up reading those dumbass polls years ago. Don't get bent about them, they are all 100% bull dookie.

Old
03-14-2006, 11:58 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
TSN/THN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ESPN.

TSN/THN have plenty of knowledgable hockey writers.
ESPN uses its "anchors" as writers in that rag they call a magazine.

I wouldnt get worked up about it all.....just read actual magazines that cover hockey as a actual sport.

03-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Titan124

ESPN dropped hockey games and practically dropped the highlights. Anything they say isn't true as a result, and any hockey pages should not be looked at. When they are, they should be treated as if a 12 year old fan who thinks he is an expert wrote it, since that is how they act. Also, ESPN should be boycotted by all hockey fans just so they know to knock off the cheap shots. Who am I kidding, there is nothing else on in the morning.

Old
03-14-2006, 11:08 PM
HoCk4307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45
Hockey Idiots from Toronto? have you ever been there?

Toronto hockey fans are some of the most knowledgeable I have ever run into. While most of us only know the Islanders really well, I have run into many people into Toronto who know the NHL very well. While I certainly don't agree with Torontonians choice of a favorite team, they happen to know ALOT about hockey.

But back to the point.

If nothing else, the Isles have been inconsistent all year. That would explain why they get those type comments. Just b/c they win a couple of games in a row against decent teams, doesnt mean that they have turned a corner.

One thing I will admit and fight for is that since Shaw became coach, they have definitely played better. Hopefully it will run to the end of the year.
You must not read much media from toronto. stating that the maple leafs cant lose to bottom feeder teams like the islanders, who strangly enough are tied in points with the same amount of games to play.

Old
03-15-2006, 01:54 AM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Well a nice dish of crow so far for them.

Closed Thread