HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Habs

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-28-2003, 09:27 AM
  #26
Stonehands77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waltham, MA
Posts: 1,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
You're right, they obviously weren't intimidated, and i'm still waiting for it to be "much funny later"

But they've won 24 Cups!!! You must bow before his hockey knowledge...don't you know all Montreal fans are geniuses when it comes to hockey??? BLASPHEMER!!!!
/end sarcasm

Of course, if that's not intimidated, I'm kinda' curious as to what actually being "intimidated" is. Do they throw their sticks away and run up the tunnel while crying and calling for their moms? Just curious...as a know-nothing Flyers fan, I would like to be edu-ma-cated. Thanks.

Stonehands77 is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 12:02 PM
  #27
Tucker316*
 
Tucker316*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
....

I agree. I dont think every Montreal fan is a genius..certainly there are other towns out there with knowledgable hockey fans..but montrealers are very defensive when someone comes out and says we're retarded. That certainly is not true. With a few exceptions, just as in anywhere else.

Anyhow, I'm not saying the Habs are gonna be competing for the cup this year, although a playoff spot is possible. I realize all too well we have too many of the same on this team right now..the dackell's, audette's etc..I cant wait to see them leave town. But we are a bit under-rated in the size department..yeah, some big guys can be soft still, but hey..we're not that timid..we'll be tougher with Langdon soon enough.
So yeah, I'm not arguing with you on the fact we're rebuilding at all..just that we aren't that wussy. Although you can make a case that we are after last night.

Tucker316* is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 12:14 PM
  #28
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
All the Habs need is a power forward or two and a goon plus a new defense and they should be good.

blah is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 12:14 PM
  #29
Teezax
Registered User
 
Teezax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316
....

I agree. I dont think every Montreal fan is a genius..certainly there are other towns out there with knowledgable hockey fans..but montrealers are very defensive when someone comes out and says we're retarded. That certainly is not true. With a few exceptions, just as in anywhere else.

Anyhow, I'm not saying the Habs are gonna be competing for the cup this year, although a playoff spot is possible. I realize all too well we have too many of the same on this team right now..the dackell's, audette's etc..I cant wait to see them leave town. But we are a bit under-rated in the size department..yeah, some big guys can be soft still, but hey..we're not that timid..we'll be tougher with Langdon soon enough.
So yeah, I'm not arguing with you on the fact we're rebuilding at all..just that we aren't that wussy. Although you can make a case that we are after last night.
I know a lot about the Habs as I live in the city, one thing I can't stand is that the media dictates what team should be out there. I'm glad they got a guy like Gainey (who i respect very much from the glory days) to come in here and set the record straight. He will be calling the shots and will not be influenced by any outsiders on how to run his team. He will make trades as he sees fit. One thing he has to address is his center position.

Koivu
Ribeiro
Perrault
Begin
Juneau

Can you really say that any of these guys can compete with another 1st line center in the league???? Props to Begin as he will be a good 4th line checking center and is awesome on the draw going 11 for 11 last night, but the rest (apart from Koivu) should be gone and keep Koivu as your 2nd line center at the most. Gainey needs to make a splach in Free agency next year as there will be a lot of potential centers to pick up at reasonable prices, heck even Primeau will be available if we don't resign him. The Habs have been drafting well since the post-Houle era and hopefully they can keep it up in the future if they want to contend in the EAST.

Teezax is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 12:15 PM
  #30
nikrag03*
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: India
Posts: 512
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikrag03*
The reason we get pissed when we lose and we're happy when we win is becuse as a fan base, montreal fans care more about our team than any other ****ing city. You havent won a ****ing cup since 1972 so u can't say ****. U say most our our cups were before our time,? At least i can say i've expereinced 2 cups, how many have u experienced?? Gainey's not stupid, he will adress the size and toughness issue in time, This team won't get better over night. BUt they will in a couple of years. Keep being proud of ur team that loses in the playoffs every year. The habs have dont even worse recently than the flyers but at least when we were at our best we've gone all the way. The flyers roster is good but not good enough to win a cup, especially with no goalie, and sadly for u, this is as good as ur team will ever get with bobby clarke. And most of ur key players are veterans .. we'll see how good the flyers are in a couple of years. And just face it, Montreal is a ten times hockey town than philly will ever be.. U can't even argue that. Its like me saying that the expos have a better and bigger fan base than the phillies.

nikrag03* is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 12:40 PM
  #31
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
You can't be serious. Montreal is an abysmal sportstown. If the Habs ever want to win they'll have to move the team. I hear Portland wants to add the Expos why not send them the Habs as well.

blah is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 02:30 PM
  #32
Winston Wolf
Registered User
 
Winston Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikrag03
The reason we get pissed when we lose and we're happy when we win is becuse as a fan base, montreal fans care more about our team than any other ****ing city. You havent won a ****ing cup since 1972 so u can't say ****. U say most our our cups were before our time,? At least i can say i've expereinced 2 cups, how many have u experienced?? Gainey's not stupid, he will adress the size and toughness issue in time, This team won't get better over night. BUt they will in a couple of years. Keep being proud of ur team that loses in the playoffs every year. The habs have dont even worse recently than the flyers but at least when we were at our best we've gone all the way. The flyers roster is good but not good enough to win a cup, especially with no goalie, and sadly for u, this is as good as ur team will ever get with bobby clarke. And most of ur key players are veterans .. we'll see how good the flyers are in a couple of years. And just face it, Montreal is a ten times hockey town than philly will ever be.. U can't even argue that. Its like me saying that the expos have a better and bigger fan base than the phillies.
******* off c***sucker. Your team sucks a$$ right now, stop talking about 25 years ago. Nobody really cares about that far back, except for you. In the present and in the future the Flyers will continue to be a better team than the Canadiens. Keep talking all this s*** about how after a year or two with Gainey the Canadiens are going to be some great team. I'll believe it when I see it.

Winston Wolf is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 04:31 PM
  #33
IronMarshal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Langhorne, PA
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
The funny thing to me is that I have always been a bit of a Habs fan. They are my number two team, a distant second and dropping further back. It goes back to my youth. I used to root for Jacques Lemaire, Frank Mahovlich, Henri Richard, Jean Beliveau, Guy Lapointe, Serge Savard, JC Tremblay, Rogie Vachon, Murray Wilson, Rejean Houle, Guy LaFleur, Marc Tardiff, Pete Mahovlich etc. When the Flyers came to town I started to root for them too, by 1970, I was rooting for the Flyers first.
The problem to me is that Montreal fans make it hard to root for les Canadiens.

IronMarshal is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 05:15 PM
  #34
Winston Wolf
Registered User
 
Winston Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMarshal
The problem to me is that Montreal fans make it hard to root for les Canadiens.
I agree, I try not to stereotype, but so many of them are just blatant homers that they give themselves a bad reputation among hockey fans. In every conversation with any other teams' fans they have to let you know that Montreal has won 24 Cups and your team has not. Also, the argument than Montrealers know more about hockey is even more ludicrous. I'm sure anyone from Toronto or anyone else in Canada will feel the same way. I'm sure as a whole Canadians have more hockey knowledge than Americans, but you definitely cannot say that the American individuals that are hardcore hockey followers like Canadians are inferior fans. I just think that a lot of Montreals' fans think that the Canadiens are God's chosen team, so they think everyone else is inferior to them.

Winston Wolf is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 05:25 PM
  #35
Rex8
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikrag03
The reason we get pissed when we lose and we're happy when we win is becuse as a fan base, montreal fans care more about our team than any other ****ing city. You havent won a ****ing cup since 1972 so u can't say ****. U say most our our cups were before our time,? At least i can say i've expereinced 2 cups, how many have u experienced?? Gainey's not stupid, he will adress the size and toughness issue in time, This team won't get better over night. BUt they will in a couple of years. Keep being proud of ur team that loses in the playoffs every year. The habs have dont even worse recently than the flyers but at least when we were at our best we've gone all the way. The flyers roster is good but not good enough to win a cup, especially with no goalie, and sadly for u, this is as good as ur team will ever get with bobby clarke. And most of ur key players are veterans .. we'll see how good the flyers are in a couple of years. And just face it, Montreal is a ten times hockey town than philly will ever be.. U can't even argue that. Its like me saying that the expos have a better and bigger fan base than the phillies.
Blah blah blah
I have experienced the two FLyer cups albeit at a young age but still remember the games with my father. Philly is a great hockey town - have you been? And just for kicks, when the Expos are in Central America or wherever they will be next year, they will have a bigger fan base than the Phils.
So ************** :moon:

 
Old
10-28-2003, 08:37 PM
  #36
nikrag03*
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: India
Posts: 512
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikrag03*
Talk to me when the flyers win a championship...

nikrag03* is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 08:42 PM
  #37
sonnytheman
Registered User
 
sonnytheman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ithaca, Mtl
Country: India
Posts: 1,295
vCash: 500
the problem, I feel, with the habs isn't that they have a small team, but that they have a small SLOW team. There's really not much speed anywhere in the lineup, and that's what hurts them. It makes their lack of size so much worse because other teams can just line them up. I truly believe a small fast team would be able to compete with big tough teams like the Flyers, etc. The way the league is going, speed is going to be more and more important. I hope our prospects have that (I have never seen any of them play.)

sonnytheman is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 08:43 PM
  #38
nikrag03*
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: India
Posts: 512
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikrag03*
Whetever, if u actually tihnk Philly is a better hockey town than Montreal u have serious problems... The best hockey towns are Montreal and Toronto. In the U.S, i'd give it to Detroit..Philly isn't even close.

Talk to me when ur team wins a championship and u can say u WEREN'T 2 years old when it happened.

nikrag03* is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 08:50 PM
  #39
nikrag03*
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: India
Posts: 512
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikrag03*
Suck my **** fleyrs guy... JUst because the flyers are better than the habs now u tHihk u can talk ****. BUt ur team still hAsnt done **** in the league in a very long time,. We won the ****ing cup 10 years ago so u can suck my ****. U tihnk thaT just because ur ****ing teaM is better than us now that u'll always be better AND THAT U CAN BRAG. Get over it, go loSe to NJ in the playoffs every year and be proud of urself because thats as good as ur crappy franchise will ever get. WHen we were at our best we actually did something in the playoffs. AND yes we are allowed to point out that we won 24 cups..cause we did! And u won't get close to that anytime soon so suck my **** u ****.

nikrag03* is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 09:56 PM
  #40
Whinks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 219
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Whinks
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikrag03
Suck my **** fleyrs guy... JUst because the flyers are better than the habs now u tHihk u can talk ****. BUt ur team still hAsnt done **** in the league in a very long time,. We won the ****ing cup 10 years ago so u can suck my ****. U tihnk thaT just because ur ****ing teaM is better than us now that u'll always be better AND THAT U CAN BRAG. Get over it, go loSe to NJ in the playoffs every year and be proud of urself because thats as good as ur crappy franchise will ever get. WHen we were at our best we actually did something in the playoffs. AND yes we are allowed to point out that we won 24 cups..cause we did! And u won't get close to that anytime soon so suck my **** u ****.
You know hes a guy, and your still trying "hard" to get him to suck your ****

Whinks is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 10:29 PM
  #41
nikrag03*
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: India
Posts: 512
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikrag03*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whinks
You know hes a guy, and your still trying "hard" to get him to suck your ****


And ur trying too hard to be funny...

nikrag03* is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 11:10 PM
  #42
Winston Wolf
Registered User
 
Winston Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikrag03
Suck my **** fleyrs guy... JUst because the flyers are better than the habs now u tHihk u can talk ****. BUt ur team still hAsnt done **** in the league in a very long time,. We won the ****ing cup 10 years ago so u can suck my ****. U tihnk thaT just because ur ****ing teaM is better than us now that u'll always be better AND THAT U CAN BRAG. Get over it, go loSe to NJ in the playoffs every year and be proud of urself because thats as good as ur crappy franchise will ever get. WHen we were at our best we actually did something in the playoffs. AND yes we are allowed to point out that we won 24 cups..cause we did! And u won't get close to that anytime soon so suck my **** u ****.

What a useless tool! Learn to speak English, Frenchie, then come back if you want to talk.

Winston Wolf is offline  
Old
10-28-2003, 11:27 PM
  #43
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
The Habs suck and will continue to suck for a long time. Your best forward misses more games than Grant Hill. Your goalie was a one season wonder. The defense is awful. Prospects are decent but no 1st line franchise type players. Good thing the fan base is strong with lots of brilliant hockey fans. This allows the Habs to go out and be big players in FA every year.

blah is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 05:46 AM
  #44
Stonehands77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waltham, MA
Posts: 1,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikrag03
Suck my **** fleyrs guy... JUst because the flyers are better than the habs now u tHihk u can talk ****. BUt ur team still hAsnt done **** in the league in a very long time,. We won the ****ing cup 10 years ago so u can suck my ****. U tihnk thaT just because ur ****ing teaM is better than us now that u'll always be better AND THAT U CAN BRAG. Get over it, go loSe to NJ in the playoffs every year and be proud of urself because thats as good as ur crappy franchise will ever get. WHen we were at our best we actually did something in the playoffs. AND yes we are allowed to point out that we won 24 cups..cause we did! And u won't get close to that anytime soon so suck my **** u ****.
You know what, chief? When you can argue a point coherently, without resorting to using expletives every 5 words or less, and using actually factual or RELEVANT data, then come back to talk to us. I understand that you can't get past the fact that you follow a team that is small, slow, plays with no passion or fire, and is most likely going to end up either out of the playoffs or at best the 6-8 seed, to get trounced in the first round, but really, just shouting curse words at people is no way to try and convince anyone that you are correct and they aren't. It's called "growing up ", or "maturing " (included as handy links to dictionary.com so you don't miss what I'm telling you), and until you do that, there's no point in talking to you. So, go learn something about logic, debate skills, and maturity, and then come back and talk to us. Thanks, we'll all appreciate it.

Oh, and for the record: I'm not quite sure which logical fallacy to call you on with this "24 Cups" argument you're advancing. Perhaps a straw man, since you're attacking something other than the point others were making (i.e. "My team won more in the past than your team has!" when the argument is which team is better in the present), and which you know you have a stronger stand on. You're definitely committing the logical fallacy of attacking the person, or ad hominem attacks, what with calling people various names and asking them to perform strange, ahem, actions, upon your person. That's probably enough for now, but let me know if you want more. That datanation link contains some excellent reading material on debating and what to NOT do when you are trying to convince others of your point. I highly recommend reading it. BTW, after reviewing this last paragraph, I'd say it's both logical fallacies, but the straw man is strong with this one. Such a common Internet debating problem, too. Oh well.

Stonehands77 is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 06:30 AM
  #45
Teezax
Registered User
 
Teezax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikrag03
The reason we get pissed when we lose and we're happy when we win is becuse as a fan base, montreal fans care more about our team than any other ****ing city. You havent won a ****ing cup since 1972 so u can't say ****. U say most our our cups were before our time,? At least i can say i've expereinced 2 cups, how many have u experienced?? Gainey's not stupid, he will adress the size and toughness issue in time, This team won't get better over night. BUt they will in a couple of years. Keep being proud of ur team that loses in the playoffs every year. The habs have dont even worse recently than the flyers but at least when we were at our best we've gone all the way. The flyers roster is good but not good enough to win a cup, especially with no goalie, and sadly for u, this is as good as ur team will ever get with bobby clarke. And most of ur key players are veterans .. we'll see how good the flyers are in a couple of years. And just face it, Montreal is a ten times hockey town than philly will ever be.. U can't even argue that. Its like me saying that the expos have a better and bigger fan base than the phillies.
First and formeost the Flyers came into the league in the expansion year of '67. We weren't in the league when Abe Lincoln was president, and there were only 6 teams. You won the majority of the 24 cups when there was only 6 teams in the league. And i'd rather have a 3 million dolar goaler that gets me into the playoffs, than a 7 million dollar one that gets me nowhere. Start spending your money on talent up front instead of in goal because your backup goaler makes about a 7th of your starter and has better stats in thew last couple of years. And don't blame Bobby Clarke because he isn't the problem, don't let me start talking about Rejean Houle or Serge Savard. (Roy and Keane for Thibault Kovalenko and Rucinsky) And you know what, we may lose in the playoffs every year but at least we're getting money for making it. We've made the Finals plenty of times considering we're still a young team but just happened to get int he way of a potent Habs team of the 70's, Isles and Oil in the 80's and RedWings and Devils in the 90's. We are a lot deeper than you think in terms of prospects and i'm not worried about where we'll be in 10 years. I'll be laughing at you when we start watching the Alaska Canadiens in 10 years. And by the way it wasn't 72 it was 74, get your facts straight and go back to the Homer Board where you belong. :moon:

Teezax is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.