HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Ricci Available? Would you want him back?

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2003, 05:00 AM
avfan#21

vCash: 500
Ricci Available? Would you want him back?

Rumours have been swirling about Mike Ricci possibly being available as the Sharks are starting off poorly. I believe he's scheduled to be an UFA at the end of the year. Would you want him back and if so, what would you be willing to part with to get him?

As for me, I'd love to see the guy back with the Avs. I hated it when we had to deal him to save money. I'd offer the Avs second round for the guy.

Old
10-26-2003, 05:41 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfan#21
Rumours have been swirling about Mike Ricci possibly being available as the Sharks are starting off poorly. I believe he's scheduled to be an UFA at the end of the year. Would you want him back and if so, what would you be willing to part with to get him?

As for me, I'd love to see the guy back with the Avs. I hated it when we had to deal him to save money. I'd offer the Avs second round for the guy.
I'd love it, but it would all depend on what we would have to give up. I certainly wouldn't give up anything off of the roster for him. I think with the loss of Hahl the Avs will need to pick up another gritty third or fourth line player for the playoff run. Without Hahl, the Avs have no natural center to play on the fourth line.

If they could be had for a similar price as to what was paid for Marchment last year, I would hope that the Avs would look to add a Conroy, Ricci, or even a Wes Walz type center ice man to solidify a fourth line (I'm assuming that Calgary, San Jose, and Minnesota will be out of the playoff hunt by the trade deadline). I hope the Avs can make a run at Wes Walz. He could be perfect on the fourth line, and a tremendous addition on the penalty kill with his speed. Make Konowalchuk-Nikolishin-McCormack the third line and Worrell-Walz-Hinote the fourth line.

The problem is that Avs IMO will have to add a veteran goaltender to at the very least supplement Aebischer in the post season. So are the Avs going to have the resources to make multiple trade deadline acquisitions?

I don't think the Avs can afford to give up players off their roster in trades with their current lack of depth.

Old
10-26-2003, 07:06 AM
Strizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17
If they could be had for a similar price as to what was paid for Marchment last year, I would hope that the Avs would look to add a Conroy, Ricci, or even a Wes Walz type center ice man to solidify a fourth line (I'm assuming that Calgary, San Jose, and Minnesota will be out of the playoff hunt by the trade deadline).
In this case, you better forget it. Ricci would definitely cost more than Marchment.

Old
10-26-2003, 07:40 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzi
In this case, you better forget it. Ricci would definitely cost more than Marchment.
We'll see, he is a soon to be UFA, a strictly playoff-rental type player. You don't see roster players traded for such acquisitions.

In any event, if it came down to trading for Conroy, Walz, or Ricci, I think Ricci would probably be the lowest priority for most teams.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:38 AM
Strizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17
We'll see, he is a soon to be UFA, a strictly playoff-rental type player.
Marchment was that as well, but Ricci is better.

Old
10-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzi
Marchment was that as well, but Ricci is better.
Ricci is a good player, you'll get know argument from me on that point.

But he probably isn't a good fit for the Avs in any event, because we have a 3rd line center (Nikolishin) and 3rd line left winger (konowalchuk) that would be ahead of him. He would be a nice player to add, but he wouldn't be more than our 4th line centerman.

Old
10-26-2003, 11:26 AM
Mr. Avalanche

Ricci, Thornton, and Damphouse are all allegedly going to be on the block. I'd take Ricci and Thornton

Old
10-26-2003, 12:28 PM
avfan#21

Nikolishin can be moved to wing. You wouldn't have to move him down a line.

Old
10-26-2003, 12:52 PM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Joe
Ricci , Konowalchuk and Nikolishin would be an awesome 3rd line .
That would give us arguably the best top 9 in the league. But what would we have to give up to get Ricci?

Old
10-26-2003, 01:28 PM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Joe
I'm thinking a draft pick and a player maybe ?
Let's not give them Tanguay back is my point.

Old
10-26-2003, 03:16 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I think it's pretty clear that Ricci's best years are behind him. He doesn't keep himself in very good shape and as a result, his durability isn't what it used to be. I like our 3rd line with Hinote, Niko, and Kono.

Old
10-26-2003, 05:07 PM
dempsey_k*

Obvious answer, we'd all want Ricci back, he was a great player, but like all players he's had his downsides, and he's older now than before in a decliing motion. But the big quesiton is, what do we give up ? Given Lacroix's latest willingness to give up blue chippers, I'm afraid who's next for the firing squad.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:17 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Ricci costs too much at this point. I thought he would have been a great addition last year at the deadline, but it didn't happen. I don't think we need another center right now either, especially with Nikolishan playing well, and Ricci costing 3 mil. I think Scott Thornton would be a more likely candidate, as he adds everything we need as well. Leadership, defense, physical play, and can chip in offensively as well. Plus he costs less than half of what Ricci makes at 1.425 mil. He would be a great replacement as our third line right winger, if he could switch to the right. Have either him, or Kono, played on the right before?

The only thing stoping this, would be who we would have to give up. We will probably need to trade for a goalie later on, and will need assets to trade then. I'm still hoping The Washintong deal was a setup for a deal later on in the season, sending Kolzig and maybe Witt over here, for like Skoula, and a pick or something to help even out the first trade. Also, I don't know why but, I kinda hope we get Cujo. I know a lot of you guys will disgree with me on this, but I think Detroit is desperate enough to get rid of him, that they will eat up a lot of his salary, and won't ask for too much in return. Plus I think he will be really hungry to prove himself, and get back at Detroit for how they treated him, and would play great against them if we meet in the playoffs. Just a thought.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:53 PM
AvsDevs19&30

vCash:
you raise a good point about goaltending, I was hoping the rumors about Kolzig were true, or even Cujo. I would not mind either in Denver. I hoped Abbie could be the one all year, just not sure of that yet. And Sauve, I am REALY not sure of.

Closed Thread