HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So-Cal Wildfires

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2003, 09:30 PM
GoKingsGo28

vCash:
So-Cal Wildfires

Is anybody in trouble with the fires? I live about a half hour away from Simi Valley, and I hope it doesnt get that far out to Newbury Park. I know one of my buddies house' got burned down, and my cousin is a top ranked firefighter, so its kinda of a messed up situation.

Old
10-26-2003, 10:33 PM
Mindcircus

vCash: 500

Seems to be heading towards Chatsworth. Pretty scary and gloomy stuff. I live in Orange County and the day was orange looking. The air smells of smoke and there's ash falling from the sky.

Old
10-26-2003, 10:59 PM
bgumble184

Send a message via AIM to bgumble184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcircus
Seems to be heading towards Chatsworth. Pretty scary and gloomy stuff. I live in Orange County and the day was orange looking. The air smells of smoke and there's ash falling from the sky.
Why do you say that? I live in Northridge and doesnt seem to be heading this direction at all. The winds are blowing west and there are no fires that could get here.

Old
10-27-2003, 06:31 AM
guzmania

I live in Santa Clarita an from my house I can see the flames. The mountain top I was seeing is over 20 miles away. The flames had to be over 200 ft. Say a prayer for the Firefighters and those in harms way.

Old
10-27-2003, 06:39 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
I live in Santa Clarita an from my house I can see the flames. The mountain top I was seeing is over 20 miles away. The flames had to be over 200 ft. Say a prayer for the Firefighters and those in harms way.
I hope the fires don't get anywhere near your house

Old
10-27-2003, 06:45 AM
jfont

Awards:
it has been 10 years since we had fires like this...remember the '93 fires?

i wish the best for all the firefighters fighting these fires over there...

10-27-2003, 06:52 AM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I hope the fires don't get anywhere near your house
Nah, everthing around here burned 2 years ago. It was weird sitting in the jacuzzi wathing the helos drop water on burning hillsides 1000 ft. away.

So I'm driving in to work this A.M. and some dufus is driving down 5 with his window open flicking his cigareet out the window. The sun is comming up blood-red from the fires out in Rancho Cucamonga, ash is falling, the winds are comming up, the 118 is closed and this sucker is oblivious. The surealism of SoCal continues unabated by strikes, fires, or Kerry Frazier "Park".

Old
10-27-2003, 07:11 AM
agentfouser

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgumble184
Why do you say that? I live in Northridge and doesnt seem to be heading this direction at all. The winds are blowing west and there are no fires that could get here.
i live in northridge as well. last night i climbed up a little hill near my house and i could see the glow coming over the mountain, so my friend and i drove up into the hills, way out on the west side of porter ranch. from there the fire was coing over the ridgeline with only another dry valley between it and houses. i doubt it will get to my house (on lassen/zelzah) but i've no doubt that its going to do some serious damage to houses in chatsworth/porter ranch.

my deepest sympathy to everyone in trouble from this.

Old
10-27-2003, 07:57 AM
LuckyLUC20

I live in Ventura County. You can definitely still smell the smoke from Simi Valley all the way to Oxnard and Ventura. I know the fire jumped the 118... very scary stuff. The Santa Ana winds should be picking up... Ashes are everywhere...

My prayers are with all those who are without a home and all the fire fighters... God Bless you all.

Old
10-27-2003, 08:11 AM
IGM

I spent most of last night moving out all of the most valuable items from my sister and brother in laws house. The fires are about 2 miles from their house and the heat that they are putting off is amazing. I live in EL Porto on the Strand and from my living room you can see all of the north part of the bay perfectly (from pt magu to SM easily) and the smoke comming over the hills is amazing but until I drove out to the fires to get them I had no idea how bad they were.

They are going to stay here and wait to find out if they have lost everything they own. They don't feel very lucky but I sure do. It could have been allot worse that is for certain.

Old
10-27-2003, 08:30 AM
bgumble184

Send a message via AIM to bgumble184
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser
i live in northridge as well. last night i climbed up a little hill near my house and i could see the glow coming over the mountain, so my friend and i drove up into the hills, way out on the west side of porter ranch. from there the fire was coing over the ridgeline with only another dry valley between it and houses. i doubt it will get to my house (on lassen/zelzah) but i've no doubt that its going to do some serious damage to houses in chatsworth/porter ranch.

my deepest sympathy to everyone in trouble from this.
I live at reseda and rinaldi. Do u think the fire could get that far? Cause if it does it still has a long way to go. I still dont smell the fire or any of that stuff.

Old
10-27-2003, 10:25 AM
agentfouser

vCash:
Quote:
I live at reseda and rinaldi. Do u think the fire could get that far? Cause if it does it still has a long way to go. I still dont smell the fire or any of that stuff.
it would have to go through a lot of city to get there. this is pure speculation, but i would imagine that fires slow down when they get to city; every street is a potential firebreak, they can just drive to where the fire is on streets instead of having to use dirt tracks in the hills, and they have much more access to water from fire hydrants. not that houses won't burn; indeed, i'm sure we'll see lots more destroyed, but i imagine that unless you live on the edge of town (reseda/rindali is not), you're relatively safe.

Old
10-27-2003, 10:37 AM
GoKingsGo28

vCash:
Do you think it could get to Newbury Park? I iive a half hour away from Simi, and it would have to burn Moorpark and Thousand Oaks first. So I dont think it can get here, but can it?

Old
10-27-2003, 11:09 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGo28
Do you think it could get to Newbury Park? I iive a half hour away from Simi, and it would have to burn Moorpark and Thousand Oaks first. So I dont think it can get here, but can it?
I learned to never underestimate fires back when I was 8. There was a terrible fire in OC around 1982. My dad and all of my neighbors kept telling me it was "acres" away and it we had nothing to worry about. It reached our street. Luckily only 1 house even got touched and it was minor damage.
The way the winds are blowing I wouldn't say anything is out of the question

Old
10-27-2003, 01:17 PM
Mindcircus

Quote:

I'm just saying that cause that was the update on NBC4 news. They said it was moving towards Chatsworth as of last night. Hell, i don't even know where Chatsworth is.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:53 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Everyone should just join me here in Huntington Beach. I'm about as far away from the three sets of fires as you can be and still be in SoCal. We'll watch some hockey and party while California burns.

10-27-2003, 03:05 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcircus

Yes... Chatsworth... Where I work (where I am now) :mad:

Old
10-27-2003, 03:32 PM
Captain Ron

It is times like this that I am glad I moved away from California.I lived in Simi Valley (1 of the fire raged areas) and now get to view California news from afar in Dayton Nevada (outside of Reno).

Good luck to you guys down there. :moon: (sorry I just saw this new smiley and had to use it)

Closed Thread