HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wondering?

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2006, 03:56 PM
sickboy35

vCash: 500
Wondering?

for the people who follow the wolfpack, which players stand the best chance to land with the big club next season and which d-man has a chance to play for the rangers also, i'm intrigued by the size of lifton and taylor and wheather they realisticly stand a chance next season? thanks in advance!

Old
03-14-2006, 04:38 PM
FLYLine24*

IMO Dawes, Immonen and Helminen have the best shot up front, and Pock has the best shot on defense. Nobody else on Defense is really NHL-ready yet and the older guys don't really have enough skill. Lifton and Taylor need at least another season in the AHL.

Immonen though should be a lock with the Rangers next year as long as he doesn't totally play like garbage in training camp and preseason.

Old
03-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Edge

I'd say Imonen, Dawes and Helminen with Baranka having an outside chance if he has a very good camp.

Old
03-15-2006, 12:55 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I'd say Imonen, Dawes and Helminen with Baranka having an outside chance if he has a very good camp.

dont count out Genoway once we get him signed, same for Girardi too. Baranka should have at least another half year in AHL, then called up during mid season. Pock should replace Poke Check Poti.

Old
03-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
dont count out Genoway once we get him signed, same for Girardi too. Baranka should have at least another half year in AHL, then called up during mid season. Pock should replace Poke Check Poti.
Genoway and Girardi aren't quite there yet.

They could seem some time next year but for the context of "best chance" and "land" (which I interpreted as sticking for a stretch) I wouldn't put them up there with those three guys.

Pock i still won't, simply because I don't think he's part of the future equation and I think two spots next year are going to a free agent and Marc Staal.

Personal feeling about his ability aside, I have a feeling Pock is not on next year's roster.

Old
03-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Genoway and Girardi aren't quite there yet.
Edge,

Please talk to me about Genoway. The one time I had a good chance to watch him, he was sensational, truly poised with the puck. He showed great vision of the ice and looked really smooth on his blades. But that was just one game. Perhaps it wasn't representative.

Tell me about the downside I haven't seen yet.

Old
03-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Pock i still won't, simply because I don't think he's part of the future equation

Personal feeling about his ability aside, I have a feeling Pock is not on next year's roster.
Pock strikes me as the "late bloomer" type. I don't believe NYR will have the patience to wait for him to blossom.

Might also be that he'll bloom for just one season like Bouchard and remain on the bubble his entire career.

I'll never forget his helping Petr Prucha onto the international scene. Prucha was trying a centering pass to JJ for a back-door play during the 2004 World Championships and Pock tried to intercept the lateral. Instead, he poked the pill past Divis - his own netminder. Prucha got credit for the goal making him famous for being the only Czech to notch two in the same game to that point. His picture was printed on the front page of all the Prague tabloids and scouts were all over him and his agent the following game... including reps from The Caps who were on the verge of drafting Ovechkin and were entertaining bids for the #1 pick. Shortly after this game, McPhee was asked what it would take for NYR to obtain his draft pick.

"The list begins with Prucha..."

The kid was on the map.

Old
03-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Ola

Lampman pretty much by far the best D we have on the farm, atleast before gooing down with a season ending injury. If he only could stay healty... Though I wouldn't expect him to develop much more.

Pck must take one big step forward in pretty much all aspects. Compare the poise Pck have with the puck with other D's in the league playing the same style. His offense is not good enough to cover his defense.

Liffiton is pretty solid, though its a tough read how well he would handle the faster game and the more skilled players in the NHL. He is still decent with the puck and thats a big plus for a big defensemen.

Baranka is the player who have the most hockey in him, though he is a little bit to shy. You want a young kid like that to maybe even play a bigger game then he have in him, its not always bad when a kid trys to much. Baranka is completly opposite, he defenitly to good not to try to step up and dominate in the AHL. If he then falls short because of consistence issues or something its one thing.

Old
03-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Pck must take one big step forward in pretty much all aspects. Compare the poise Pck have with the puck with other D's in the league playing the same style. His offense is not good enough to cover his defense.
Precisely. And that was the problem with Kondratiev as well. Pock is not even the equal of Maxim.

When Bouchard had his brief-but-solid stint in NYR, it was thanks to his scoring and puck-rushing ability. Pock's just not delivering that.

Old
03-15-2006, 02:09 PM
eco's bones

At forward I think Immonen has an excellent shot and Dawes a good shot at making the team next year. Whether Nigel makes it or not I think he'll get some Nhl games under his belt. Helminen and Moore might fight it out for 4th line center. Apart from those 3 the only other forward prospect we got with a decent chance if he has a good camp is Dubinsky. But you never know. Look at Hollweg. He was little off the radar.

At defense. Staal has a very good shot. Baranka will help his chances if he puts on a little more weight and gets stronger. Pock is a possibility. IMO Lampman will be somewhere else. That's a hunch. I like Liffiton but don't think he's ready yet and Taylor has to continue to improve his overall game. Forget the Rullier's and the Grenier's--if they haven't made it by now there's a reason.

I also think Montoya has a decent shot.

Most likely as of now IMO is Immonen.

Old
03-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent
Edge,

Please talk to me about Genoway. The one time I had a good chance to watch him, he was sensational, truly poised with the puck. He showed great vision of the ice and looked really smooth on his blades. But that was just one game. Perhaps it wasn't representative.

Tell me about the downside I haven't seen yet.
Not really a downside per say, so much as he's still developing.

His defensive needs a little work and I think in order to make the next step he's going to have find a "role" so to speak.

He's probably not really an NHL scorer, at least not as a top 6 forward but he's not really a checker and a defensive player for the bottom 6. So really he has to possibly pay more attention to defensive and little things (even improve his scoring consistency a little) to take the next step. That doesn't mean he can't do it, I just don't expect him to do it by early next season so I can't really group with the guys who have "the best odds" right now.

Overall and physically, I think he'd have some fine tuning to do.

Old
03-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent
Pock strikes me as the "late bloomer" type. I don't believe NYR will have the patience to wait for him to blossom.

Might also be that he'll bloom for just one season like Bouchard and remain on the bubble his entire career.
I dunno, I still don't see it. I think Bouchard though is about what I expect. Kind of that inbetween type, similar to a Slaney, Hawgood and countless others.

I think part of the problem might be what kind of defense the Rangers are looking to build, which seems to emphasis taking care of your own end first. I don't know if Pock fits into that system and at 24/25 how long do you wait to see?

But having said that, I don't want to turn this into another Pock discussion. I think we beat that one pretty good in it's own thread.

I think guys with the best odds are still those 3, with other players falling on various levels below that.

Old
03-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Fletch

I don't see pock as a late-bloomer...

since I actually think he's regressed overall. He just looks clueless defensively.

As for those who have a chance...I personally like Immonen the most - was skeptical before he came to camp, was sold in camp, and that was further solidified by the three games I saw him in this season. He's one of the older of the rookies down there, so the maturity and playing in the league in which he played in the last few years (against men) helps him, so perhaps the comparison to Dawes and Helminen and others isn't fair, but I'm going on what I see.

Dawes I like and he's been putting up pretty decent numbers. When you watch him though, I don't see Prucha out there (just comparing him to someone small). My caveat is that he is only 21 years old. His numbers for his rookie year are very good. I would tend to think he wouldn't be starting next season, but would compete for a spot (if there is one) and should continue to develop. I'd reserve judgement on him because he could blossom further.

Helminen - still not sold. Like his MO - fast defensive forward whose offense is good too. He plays small though. Unlike Immonen who mixes it up more and seems to have a strong lower body.

Other than that, Baranka seems to have the size, skill and determination, he just needs the experience. I liked Taylor, but just don't know. His skating's pretty good for a big man. His decision making the last couple games hasn't been great and he should be improving on last season in which I thought he was quite good.

The exciting part of the prospects come over the next couple years, with Staal, Sauer, Dubinsky, Callahan, Cliche, Dupont, etc. We should see a good deal of attrition too as hopefully these guys will fight for positions.

Old
03-15-2006, 02:51 PM
sickboy35

thanks for the info guys! i'm really just seeing what kind of talent we have down there! i really want some of these guys make the big club, like i said in another post next year if we can't sign the chara's or reddens of the world i'd like the team to stay away from all kinds fa. see what we have in the system sounds good to me! also, how is korpikoski doing across the pond? does he have a spot to fight for?

Last edited by sickboy35: 03-15-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Closed Thread