HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need a stick suggestion...

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2006, 05:49 PM
iiryani

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to iiryani
Need a stick suggestion...

I recently purchased a Bauer Vapor XXX 1 piece stick with the Naslund curve.. spent $180 on it, and I HATE it.. it has turned my once powerful slapshot into a weak weak weak garbage shot. I never thought that a stick would have that much impact on my game, but this one has.

Now that I got that off my chest, I am looking to buy another stick that will have good durability and will help out with my slapshot... I have usually just bought the Coffee sticks my whole life but recently I've been paying more attention to what works and what doesn't work... obviously the Naslund curve didn't work for me but I would be interested to know what type of stick works for everyone else out there.

What type of curve would help out my slapshot? I would like to know what everyone else thinks...

Old
03-05-2006, 05:58 PM
EazyB97

It's really dependant upon your game. If you like the Coffey stick with it. Try a Red Lite Xn10 shaft with a Coffey blade. Was the XXX the same flex and lie as your Coffey? Those can make alot of difference.

Old
03-05-2006, 06:14 PM
iiryani

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97
It's really dependant upon your game. If you like the Coffey stick with it. Try a Red Lite Xn10 shaft with a Coffey blade. Was the XXX the same flex and lie as your Coffey? Those can make alot of difference.
I honestly don't remember. The XXX stick I bought I felt like I was going to break everytime I shot it... I think it's an 87 flex.

Old
03-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Zimmer12

I would personally recommend a TPS Rubber. They are great and they have lasted me a long time. I had my first one for 3 years and I just recently bought a new one. I strongly reccomend a TPS Rubber for people that are not to keen on the price/feel of a one piece stick.

Old
03-05-2006, 08:14 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

As far as patterns go... if I remember right the Coffey pattern is a mid-length and with quite a curve to it. Right now I am really liking the Lecavalier blade - really gets the shots up.

Also, if you can find any Branches one-pieces or shafts those are pretty tight too.

Old
03-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Jacob

I've grown fond of the TPS Adrenaline. It has a nice feel and response to the puck, much like a wood stick.

Old
03-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Grave77digger

i switch between a easton drury and a vapor xx unknown pattern (P9?)

Old
03-05-2006, 09:24 PM
Jacob

That's the Hossa pattern.

Old
03-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Try a Warrior with the Kovalev curve.

Old
03-06-2006, 09:39 AM
luke34e

Synergy ST with a Sakic curve

Old
03-06-2006, 10:31 AM

Instead of starting a new thread I'll ask for a suggestion here. I'm looking for a blade or stick that fits these spec: 3/8 mid-heal curve, 6 lie, open face, round toe. A Recchi pattern comes close but I seem to lose something on my slapshot when using that pattern.

Old
03-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Jacob

Nothing matches up to those specs on modsquadhockey.com.. Closest thing I could find is a Bauer P91 but it has a 1/2 curve size.

I think a P91 is the Naslund blade or something.

Old
03-06-2006, 12:01 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmer12
I would personally recommend a TPS Rubber. They are great and they have lasted me a long time. I had my first one for 3 years and I just recently bought a new one. I strongly reccomend a TPS Rubber for people that are not to keen on the price/feel of a one piece stick.
They aren't making them anymore. You can still find them online. Good stick though. Might be the best value for the dollar stick out there.

I'd go with a Warrior, CCM, or Louisville. The only problem with Louisville is they don't have a big choice when it comes to blade patterns.

Old
03-06-2006, 12:03 PM
ArchieIsGod

drury synergy for me...the shaft is 100 i think, what difference does the flex make?? i take mostly wrist snap shots would a more flexible shaft improve my shot?

Old
03-06-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Nothing matches up to those specs on modsquadhockey.com.. Closest thing I could find is a Bauer P91 but it has a 1/2 curve size.

Thanks for looking.

Old
03-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Brodeur

If you like the Coffey, the closest curves are CCM Thornton and Easton Yzerman/Gaborik. From a couple other companies, the closest curves are: Bauer Lindros, Innovative McCarty.

Hopefully you don't have to rely going online to buy, and you can just visually compare curves in person.

Old
03-07-2006, 02:00 AM
iiryani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
If you like the Coffey, the closest curves are CCM Thornton and Easton Yzerman/Gaborik. From a couple other companies, the closest curves are: Bauer Lindros, Innovative McCarty.

Hopefully you don't have to rely going online to buy, and you can just visually compare curves in person.
I actually ended up getting the T. Amonte curve by RBK.. it played great tonight and we'll see what happens in the future.

Old
03-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Lord Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiryani
I honestly don't remember. The XXX stick I bought I felt like I was going to break everytime I shot it... I think it's an 87 flex.

87 flex that is way to much that's as flexable as you an get those I believe. I use a Vapor XXX Lindros curve pro flex 102. I loved that stick it just broke on me tuesday. I had a game the next day and stuck a Lindros blade in it. Still love it but I'm going to get another one.

Old
03-11-2006, 02:02 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2

P91 is Kovalchuk. P92 is Naslund, which is their Sakic clone.

I'm pretty confident Bauer is releasing or has released a senior 77 flex, so it isn't the most flexible stick in the XXX line. The extra whip is nice for wristers and snapshots, but definately takes some getting used to on slappers.

Old
03-11-2006, 03:15 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stanley
87 flex that is way to much that's as flexable as you an get those I believe. I use a Vapor XXX Lindros curve pro flex 102. I loved that stick it just broke on me tuesday. I had a game the next day and stuck a Lindros blade in it. Still love it but I'm going to get another one.
I thought you weren't able to replace blades on Vapor XXX sticks. Did you use a one piece replacement blade, or a regular replacement blade?

Old
03-14-2006, 03:59 PM
JaskulaR

Quote:
I actually ended up getting the T. Amonte curve by RBK.. it played great tonight and we'll see what happens in the future.
A buddy of mine who has the self proclaimed hardest shot in the USHL uses this stick...It looks like there's no way it's a legal curve tho. Says it's helped him alot since switching to them from Synergy's.

Old
03-15-2006, 04:18 AM
afterhours

Quote:
I recently purchased a Bauer Vapor XXX 1 piece stick with the Naslund curve.. spent $180 on it, and I HATE it.. it has turned my once powerful slapshot into a weak weak weak garbage shot. I never thought that a stick would have that much impact on my game, but this one has.

What type of curve would help out my slapshot? I would like to know what everyone else thinks...
Can't help you out with the curve, but I'd highly recommend the new Easton Stealth sticks. They are purely performance, so if you're prone to breaking sticks not sure if it'll work with you, but in terms of shooting it's the best shooter's stick I've ever owned. It took me a few games to get used to because it was my first composite, but my slapshot is noticeably stronger and more accurate. Using the Stealth and changing my once full wind up to a Phaneuf type 3/4ths wind up has made my slapshot a LOT better in terms of strength and accuracy.

Old
03-15-2006, 06:47 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:

Now that I got that off my chest, I am looking to buy another stick that will have good durability and will help out with my slapshot... I have usually just bought the Coffee sticks my whole life but recently I've been paying more attention to what works and what doesn't work... obviously the Naslund curve didn't work for me but I would be interested to know what type of stick works for everyone else out there.

The Näslund curve would be the worst for slapshots.

Old
03-15-2006, 08:32 AM
facts

Anything Nieuwendyk- sherwood used to make it- wonderful stick-

Closed Thread