See Ottawa Sun article on Slam website:
http://www.canoe.ca/Slam031026/nhl_bos-sun.html

Old
10-27-2003, 02:08 AM
tarabelle99

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to tarabelle99
Quote:
While the Bruins have often been accused of being cheap, making a move on Thornton now makes good business sense.
When did this club have "good business sense"? When we signed Paul Coffey? Or maybe it was Lapointe's 5mil a year? Hey how about not signing Guerin to a long term contract before his arbitration hearing?

Isn't MOC's "justification" of NOT signing players past the CBA part of this clubs "good business sense"?

Old
10-27-2003, 02:31 AM
Eat It

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabelle99
When did this club have "good business sense"? When we signed Paul Coffey? Or maybe it was Lapointe's 5mil a year? Hey how about not signing Guerin to a long term contract before his arbitration hearing?
Maybe when they walked away from Kristich's arbitration #. Or when they held on to players like Allison and McLaren, who decide they didn;t want to play on the Bruins anymore, long enough to get a good return. How bout the Glen Wesley trade, how'd that work out?

Old
10-27-2003, 04:26 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabelle99

Isn't MOC's "justification" of NOT signing players past the CBA part of this clubs "good business sense"?
Good business sense...hmm when did this team have it....well lets see they turn a profit in a league where most teams lose money year in and year out.

Regarding Guerin...they did offer him a long term deal right after arbitration, just because *you* weren't aware of it does not mean that they did not attempt to keep him here.

Not many players are signed much past next year. There are a ton of UFAs in the next two years. Player signings were much lower this year because of the CBA all around the league.

Old
10-27-2003, 04:43 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20

Not many players are signed much past next year. There are a ton of UFAs in the next two years. Player signings were much lower this year because of the CBA all around the league.

I read in I believe the Hockey News that over 60 % of current NHL players are not signed beyond this year.

It's gonna be really , really, interesting..

Oh and the Bruins payroll is number 12 this year... So there are 17 "cheaper" teams.. just thought I'd point that out..

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
10-27-2003, 04:50 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
I read in I believe the Hockey News that over 60 % of current NHL players are not signed beyond this year.

It's gonna be really , really, interesting..

Oh and the Bruins payroll is number 12 this year... So there are 17 "cheaper" teams.. just thought I'd point that out..

Very true. I feel bad for people who just point to Bill Guerin's departure and assume it could have been prevented like this was some type of video game.

It is about time that this current management starts getting a little bit of credit for building a team that is not only looking very good this year, but has more assets in every position than any Bruins team in the past 20 years. They have built around a franchise center, a young dynamic winger, a 40 goal scorer, and a young but not quite #1 defenseman with quality role players, some great defensive forwards and an insertion of youth that hasnt been seen in many, many years. Yet all people can do is freakin' whine about losing Bill Guerin.......ya know what...I would rather have Patrice Bergeron right now anyway...and he was out comp pick!

But it is always the same old song and dance. They have good players they either got lucky or "they will never keep them" and when the players arent good enough they dont spend enough. I think it is time to just sit back and enjoy a very entertaining team and hope for a CBA that is insitituted to keep this league afloat and not allow teams like the Rangers and Red Wings to operate how they currently do business.

Old
10-27-2003, 05:05 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Losing Bill Guerin ment getting a compensatory draft pick.....who by the way turned out to be one Patrice Bergeron....

Listen, I'm all over management on many things, but we cannot possibly have any gripes this season. 12th highest payroll in hockey....Bergeron and Jurcina are making a combined 2 mil this season, we picked up a 1.6 million dollar salary in Green, Potvin was signed at 1.3 mil, Zamuner is makig 2 mil and not even playing, We gave Sammy a whopping 3.65 mil deal, Rolston got about a mil raise, McGillis' entire 3.2 mil is all ours this year, and Boynton got his salary doubled.....I can't see how on earth we can consider the Bruins cheap this year....Jeez we even bought out Oliwa and McInnis instead of getting them rammed down our throats......Role players McCarthy, Grosek and Moran were signed for 2.4 mil combined....I just don't get where this is coming from now...

Old
10-27-2003, 05:19 AM
BruinsCupNow

[QUOTE=WhamBamCam8]Losing Bill Guerin ment getting a compensatory draft pick.....who by the way turned out to be one Patrice Bergeron....

I had NEVER put those two together, WBC8. Thanks very much!
Reminds me of all the crying in Calgary when they traded Nieuwendyk to Dallas...until a couple years later when they realized they had Iginla in return!!

--BCN

Old
10-27-2003, 07:46 AM
neelynugs

what effect do you think bertuzzi's new deal (4 years, 24 million) will have on thornton? IMO, burke has done an awesome job of keeping his star players in tact, and having them take reasonable deals

Old
10-27-2003, 07:53 AM
BlacknGold Barbarino

Quote:
Very true. I feel bad for people who just point to Bill Guerin's departure and assume it could have been prevented like this was some type of video game.
Not only that, but I've talked to a few Dallas fans who think of Bill Guerin's contract as an anchor- just too darn big for the return. Keeping Guerin, as good as he was for the Bs, probably would have meant extended holdouts from Boynton, Sammy, etc.

And if you do think of it as a "Guerin for Bergeron" trade, well, it's not so bad now, is it?

Old
10-27-2003, 08:44 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return of the Vin
Not only that, but I've talked to a few Dallas fans who think of Bill Guerin's contract as an anchor- just too darn big for the return. Keeping Guerin, as good as he was for the Bs, probably would have meant extended holdouts from Boynton, Sammy, etc.

And if you do think of it as a "Guerin for Bergeron" trade, well, it's not so bad now, is it?
Vin, I was saying it the day Dallas signed the deal. Guerin will NEVER score 40 again, and when Guerin isnt scoring he is only an average player. 9 million dollars a year Post-CBA for a guy like Guerin is going to hurt big time.

Having Patrice Bergeron for the next three years at under a million is sweet action!

Old
10-27-2003, 12:55 PM
Michael Karlstrom II

vCash:
I wouldn't worry about arbitration

The owners want cost certainity and will shut down the season to get it... however they don't want to be stopped from spending on UFA supertalents.

What this means is that the owners will be doing EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to scrap the arbitration system which is the TRUE SOURCE of all problems.

No one begrudges Waye Gretzky or Bobby Orr from getting whatever the market will bear. If a guy sells tickets he deserves his dollars. Rolling Stones and Brittany Spears make millions every year. True entertainment talent deserves to be rewarded.

When a backup catcher who hits .270 with 3 homeruns can say he's worth a million dollars because the starter hit only .270 with 30 homeruns and got 10 million for his efforts we have our problem.

Arbitration always favors the players... no one ever has to take a pay cut. I don't mind guys getting raises if they deliver more than was bargained for but where are the pay cuts for guys who suck?

The current NHL CBA doesn't allow paycuts. Everyone gets 10% raises guaranteed each year unless they are already making more than average salary.

I think the new CBA will see an abolishment of the arbitration system... it will allow superstar salary extemptions from whatever cap on spending is agreed too [maybe a luxery tax system where the rich can help the poor?] The age for UFA will have to be drastically lowered to give back to the players some sort of consession... they can at least play where they want too even if they arent guaranteed to become millionares anymore just for making it as the 7th dman.

The fallout of this type of CBA will continue to see guys like Jagr/Bure/Thornton get gobs of money. They sell the tickets and they deserve it. I think there might be some sort of service reward involved where maybe guys with 5-8-12 whatever years of experience will have higher minimum salaries than guys with 1-2 years. So expect guys like O'Donnell and Rolston to continue to cost a decent amount of money.

Where we will see payroll reduction costs will be with guys on their second and third contracts who used to be able to hold up the team with holdouts. With a cap in place a team will be able to tell these guys that not only don't we have the money for your raise but NO ONE ELSE does either.

The NHLPA will be able to sell it to these guys telling them that they can become UFA at 27 or 25 or whatever the new magic age becomes... I think this is really the only series of comprimises that will make sense.

This is why I wouldn't worry about Thornton and arbitration but which is why I think we have to start looking at a win-now option depending just what age is agreed to for UFA. I really hope that the NHL ownership will insist on a clause that allows home teams to resign their players without it hurting cap concerns something similar to what they do in Basketball to allow home teams to keep their better young talent.

I guess we will see.

Old
10-27-2003, 01:04 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Good business sense...hmm when did this team have it....well lets see they turn a profit in a league where most teams lose money year in and year out.

Regarding Guerin...they did offer him a long term deal right after arbitration, just because *you* weren't aware of it does not mean that they did not attempt to keep him here.

Why is everyone always worring about this stuff- the BRROOONS are in a better financial situation than almost every team. Hey, and we're all going to be dead in 100 years. worry about Zino getting in a rotary and not getting out.

Old
10-27-2003, 01:16 PM
sfbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
Why is everyone always worring about this stuff- the BRROOONS are in a better financial situation than almost every team. Hey, and we're all going to be dead in 100 years. worry about Zino getting in a rotary and not getting out.
I think 2 things:

1. The Bruins will offer Big Bird a little more than Bert got. If he doesn't sign he'll be well worth whatever the arbitrator grants him.

2. I miss rotaries.

Old
10-27-2003, 01:18 PM
BostonGrl819

Isn't Joe's brother his agent now???

Closed Thread